Firm Seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firm Seats

First of all, I am the proud new owner of NBP/ 5AT w/Nav and love the car. My only concern right now is how hard the seats are. It isn't very noticeable during a quick commute, but after an hour or more in the car, my bottom is not only sore but my back starts to ache. Even the lumbar support doesnt help. Any tips on how I might be able to soften the seats, short of sitting on a pillow (which I am now doing temporarily). A buddy of mine said that I should try running the seat warmers on high as often as possible. Any suggestions short of getting a butt implant?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Master in Science

Re: Firm Seats

I'd say seat on them without the pillow for a while and see what happens. The seat in my previous car, a 1999 Jetta, was very firm and had no adjusment for lumbar support. After about 4-5 months, I found the seat to be very comfortable -- more so than my mom's A6 which had a variety of electronic adjustments, including up/down & front/back lumbar support.

I found the TSX to be more comfortable when the support is more forward (pushing you), like 90%. Inevitably a new car is going to require some adjusting.

I find the seat warmers to be way too hot to run full power, and doubt it will have any effect, IMO.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Racer

I had to change my usual driving position to get comfortable. Because I am fairly tall, 6' 2", in all my previous cars I have adjusted the seat as far back as possible and leaned the seat back in a more reclined position (not only to look cool but to keep my head from hitting the roof on bumps).

Well, I started out doing that in the TSX and with the shape of the seat and the hardness I found I was unable to drive more than a half hour without getting a stiff back. So I started trying different positions until I now feel good.

I now sit with the seat not quite all the way back so my leg is not totally extended when I press the clutch in. Lumbar support to minimum. And, in a less cool, but way more comfortable position, I adjusted the seat back up until my upper back was touching the top of the seat. (Great headroom in the TSX, so I am not worried about the bumps to the head.)

Took a while to figure out but I'm happy now and like the fact that the seat wasn't designed for some big butted person. Nice and snug. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

It takes a while for the whole car to break-in, seats and all. The seats were really firm at first too, but they soften after a couple thousand miles. My suspension was fairly harsh at the beginning too, but now it is perfect. My roommate experienced the same thing with his 325xi.

BTW, congrats and nice choice!
Old 03-19-2004, 10:18 PM
UK Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
again!

NIGHTHAWK BLACK UNITED!
Old 03-19-2004, 10:42 PM
The Voice of Reason

Sheepskins?

This is on an Acura with side airbags, an MDX. From the MDX board.

http://www.superlamb.com/
Old 03-19-2004, 11:12 PM
Banned

Funny that I find the seats too SOFT. To each his own I guess.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Racer

Re: Firm Seats

Originally posted by roblexky
First of all, I am the proud new owner of NBP/ 5AT w/Nav and love the car. My only concern right now is how hard the seats are. It isn't very noticeable during a quick commute, but after an hour or more in the car, my bottom is not only sore but my back starts to ache. Even the lumbar support doesnt help. Any tips on how I might be able to soften the seats, short of sitting on a pillow (which I am now doing temporarily). A buddy of mine said that I should try running the seat warmers on high as often as possible. Any suggestions short of getting a butt implant?
Too hard?

What were you driving before? A Maybach with optional pillow-top seats?

IMO, the TSX's seats are about average. And if compared only to other sport sedans and coupes, they might even be on the softer side of average. If anything, my only complaint about the TSX is that the seats are relatively narrow. While this doesn't bother me (I'm 5'9 190 lbs), I've had "bigger" passengers ride shotgun and comment on the stiffness. My guess is that to larger folks, the TSX's seats may seem stiffer because their behinds aren't well supported by the narrow seats. Anyone else agree with me on this theory?
Old 03-20-2004, 12:02 PM
6MT Snob

It took me about a week to find a good 'groove' to sit in and now i can be in the car for hours at a time without an ache.. i think it just takes your body some getting used to the seats and the seats awhile to break in, just give it some time
Old 03-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Advanced

When I first sat in the car at the dealer it struck me that the seat fit me better than any of the other cars I was looking at and this was a major decision maker for me (I suffer from back pain).

After I bought the car and drove for several days my back was killing me and I got real nervous aout the seat being a potential problem. I also had trouble if I was sitting for long periods of time. My butt would go numb.

After the first month with the car either the seats or my backside got broken and I love the seats now.

They are narrow so not everyone will find them comfortable. Keep adjusting till you find that comfortable position and then don't let anyone change your seat! I wish we had memory seats on them!!!