Finally! I am a smooooooth shifter!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 09:59 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally! I am a smooooooth shifter!

Damn i have finally mastered the 6MT to the point of the ride being seamlessly smooth - including 1>2 shifts!! i have had the car since may (here come the flames), and i have been able to drive the car near perfect the entire time. but i could feel that my timing of shifts was off ever so slightly -- the 1st to 2nd was occasionally rough, but very liveable. now i can consistently shift the "prefect" shift in all gears. makes me love driving even more now!!!

Bring on the Heel and Toe!!!! thats my next goal.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:02 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Finally! I am a smooooooth shifter!

Originally posted by RogerPodacter
Damn i have finally mastered the 6MT to the point of the ride being seamlessly smooth - including 1>2 shifts!! i have had the car since may (here come the flames), and i have been able to drive the car near perfect the entire time. but i could feel that my timing of shifts was off ever so slightly -- the 1st to 2nd was occasionally rough, but very liveable. now i can consistently shift the "prefect" shift in all gears. makes me love driving even more now!!!

Bring on the Heel and Toe!!!! thats my next goal.
So can you detail this perfect technique?
Old 10-16-2003, 10:22 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well my main problem was 1 to 2. i was typically waiting a moment too long before actually throwing the shifter down to 2nd. no i do it ALMOST simultaneously as i engage the clutch. wait a tad bit longer for the rpm to drop and release the clutch smoothly.

not a "cookie cutter" type answer but its the best i can do.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:34 PM
Subie Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GOOD JOB!!!
You'll now enjoy your car more!!
Old 10-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Congratulations!

What's nice is when routine shifting becomes so automatically smooth that you don't have to think about timing, etc.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:14 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by RogerPodacter
well my main problem was 1 to 2. i was typically waiting a moment too long before actually throwing the shifter down to 2nd. no i do it ALMOST simultaneously as i engage the clutch. wait a tad bit longer for the rpm to drop and release the clutch smoothly.

not a "cookie cutter" type answer but its the best i can do.
Do Honda tranny's let you pull the car out of gear easily without using the clutch (I seem to remember this from my Integra days)?
Old 10-17-2003, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you are at the right shift point and not under load you can pretty much pull any car out of gear with ease. Which Integra? I have a 94 GSR and don't seem to ever have the gear come out without me wanting it to come out.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:59 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by rb1
Do Honda tranny's let you pull the car out of gear easily without using the clutch (I seem to remember this from my Integra days)?
I've actually upshifted and downshifted without using the clutch in both my Prelude and Integra, however, I do NOT recommend shifting without the clutch. My friend told me that he could shift without using the clutch. He showed me how in his Civic, then I tried it in my Prelude and Integra.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:02 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by DEVO
If you are at the right shift point and not under load you can pretty much pull any car out of gear with ease. Which Integra? I have a 94 GSR and don't seem to ever have the gear come out without me wanting it to come out.
It was an 88 -- no it didn't pop out or anything, I just noticed it would let me pull it out of gear without using the clutch.

My VW tranny really doesn't like me doing that at all -- differences in the the way they are designed I suppose.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by vwong
I've actually upshifted and downshifted without using the clutch in both my Prelude and Integra, however, I do NOT recommend shifting without the clutch. My friend told me that he could shift without using the clutch. He showed me how in his Civic, then I tried it in my Prelude and Integra.
how do you shift without the clutch?
Old 10-17-2003, 03:57 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by shabaaz
how do you shift without the clutch?
Like DEVO said, with no load, you can easily pull the gear into neutral without the clutch. But when you shift into the next gear up, you need to rev the engine up, as the rev is coming down, pull the shifter into the gear you're trying to get into. Basically a rev-match. When the engine rpm matches the shaft speed, the gear will be easily slipped in without the clutch. Downshifting is just the same. The key is to pull the gear into neutral first, then rev the engine, and shift into the gear you want. It's not that hard, just do it one step at a time, except pulling the gear into neutral and shifting into the next gear. When you feel the gear is about to be slipped in smoothly, shift quickly, do not hesitate because if you hesitate, you'll grind the gears. Even my wife can shift without the clutch. :P

Here is an example (1st to 2nd gear shift):
-you have to use to clutch to start the car from stop
-as you approach to the speed to shift into 2nd, ease off on the throttle
-pull the shifter to neutral (no clutch)
-rev the engine
-as the rev is coming down, pull the shifter to 2nd gear
-when you feel the gear is about to slip in smoothly, pull it into 2nd quickly, then accelerate

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT recommend shifting without the clutch. I will NOT be held responsible if you ruin your tranny when you intent to try this in your car.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:59 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
This reminds me of double-clutching no-syncro days.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:04 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can actually shift tractor trailer trucks without using the clutch. You only need to use the clutch in those things when you are going really slow and hitting the brakes... Other than that, even when from a standstill, you just let off the clutch completely and it will start rolling. But then again... the ones i drive had a detroit 500 diesel in it.... so... i dont think it will work in a sedan though. It may stall on you unless it's under a very tiny load.