Farewell...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Farewell...

After seven plus years on this forum, it's time for me to say goodbye. Today I sold my faithful 2005 TSX, carbon gray/quartz, 6 MT. Although it had a few faults (door lock actuators, clutch creak, bad original battery, and a few occasional rattles), it was a wonderful car and I will miss it. I will mostly miss shifting the gears of its wonderful gearbox. My new car is an automatic, which I swore I would never own, but manuals are a disappearing breed these days and most of them aren't as good as a TSX's anyway. I never was a big poster on this forum but I was a big lurker and I want to thank everyone for making this board such a great source of information, fun, and laughs over the years.

I remember reading a TSX review years ago that said something like: "It's a car that rewards its driver every time." I still feel that way. When I was removing my last few things from it this evening, I felt a real sadness and it was kind of tough to close the door and walk away. That's a little bit embarrassing to admit but maybe some of you guys understand.

Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Definitely understand your sentiments. It's a great car and tough to say goodbye, no matter how old it is, or how many miles you may have. Oddly, I have had a hard time saying goodbye each time I've sold a car. (Three times so far; all 'enthusiast's cars' that were fun to drive, like the TSX.)

Thanks for the great post -- be sure to stop by periodically.

BTW, what kind of car did you get?
Old 01-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Montag
After seven plus years on this forum, it's time for me to say goodbye. Today I sold my faithful 2005 TSX, carbon gray/quartz, 6 MT. Although it had a few faults (door lock actuators, clutch creak, bad original battery, and a few occasional rattles), it was a wonderful car and I will miss it. I will mostly miss shifting the gears of its wonderful gearbox. My new car is an automatic, which I swore I would never own, but manuals are a disappearing breed these days and most of them aren't as good as a TSX's anyway. I never was a big poster on this forum but I was a big lurker and I want to thank everyone for making this board such a great source of information, fun, and laughs over the years.

I remember reading a TSX review years ago that said something like: "It's a car that rewards its driver every time." I still feel that way. When I was removing my last few things from it this evening, I felt a real sadness and it was kind of tough to close the door and walk away. That's a little bit embarrassing to admit but maybe some of you guys understand.

Thanks again.
We understand.

Last edited by Miamicarfan; 01-31-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Advanced

I bought a Kia Optima EX. I need something a little bigger than the TSX which might have lead me to a TL but I'm one of those who think that Hondacura is in a slump, plus I can't like the Klingon-esque styling of the TL. (I do think the recent refresh helped a lot though). Sometimes I find myself thinking, "I can't believe I bought a Kia" but I think they (and sister company Hyundai) are building pretty good cars these days. I don't actually have mine yet (I'm picking it up this evening), but I am driving a loaner from the dealership. So far I can say that it is more sedate than my TSX, with a slightly softer (but not pillow-soft) suspension, a bit more road noise, and less-communicative steering feel. Maybe it feels a little bit "cheaper" and less substantial, but really not that much. On the plus side, it has a lot of nice features and some luxury touches like heated rear seats and cooled front seats. I really like the interior with the exception of the molded-in cup holders which look a little chintzy to me. I love the UVO system and the display is so much nicer than my (non-nav) TSX's, with all of the info (artist, song title, etc) on one screen. I haven't gotten to use the Bluetooth or iPod interface yet but I am looking forward to it. Even at the age of 50, I still like the occasional high-tech toy.

Maybe after I've had more time with it, I'll post my impressions in one of the Kia related threads on this board.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:59 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
We understand.
+1-I usually get the new car bug every 2-3 years after owning a car. With my tsx I can not seem to want to part with it. We also own a sonata-wish it came with more options (sunroof, power seats, etc) with the 6MT.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Pro

I bought a Kia Optima EX. I need something a little bigger than the TSX which might have lead me to a TL but I'm one of those who think that Hondacura is in a slump, plus I can't like the Klingon-esque styling of the TL. (I do think the recent refresh helped a lot though). Sometimes I find myself thinking, "I can't believe I bought a Kia" but I think they (and sister company Hyundai) are building pretty good cars these days. I don't actually have mine yet (I'm picking it up this evening), but I am driving a loaner from the dealership. So far I can say that it is more sedate than my TSX, with a slightly softer (but not pillow-soft) suspension, a bit more road noise, and less-communicative steering feel. Maybe it feels a little bit "cheaper" and less substantial, but really not that much. On the plus side, it has a lot of nice features and some luxury touches like heated rear seats and cooled front seats. I really like the interior with the exception of the molded-in cup holders which look a little chintzy to me. I love the UVO system and the display is so much nicer than my (non-nav) TSX's, with all of the info (artist, song title, etc) on one screen. I haven't gotten to use the Bluetooth or iPod interface yet but I am looking forward to it. Even at the age of 50, I still like the occasional high-tech toy.

Maybe after I've had more time with it, I'll post my impressions in one of the Kia related threads on this board.
Are Hyundai and Kia related?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Pro

If you had navigation on your TSX, you could get the artist and song title on one screen. I think the TSX dashboard with navigation screen is beautiful. Even after 7 years with the car, I still love it. I am going to check out that Kia Optima and compare.

Last edited by Miamicarfan; 01-31-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Advanced

If you had navigation on your TSX, you could get the artist and song title on one screen. I think the TSX dashboard with navigation screen is beautiful. Even after 7 years with the car, I still love it. I am going to check out that Kia Optima and compare.
Yes you are right but I did not get navigation so all it has is a little monochrome display that can only show one thing at a time. You have to push a button next to the radio to switch from artist, song, station number, station name, etc... And it can only display 13 or 14 characters so anything longer than that gets cut off. Obviously this unit was designed when satellite radio was fairly new so no surprise that it was kind of rudimentary.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Advanced

Yes. For example, the Optima and Sonata are mechanical twins. They use the same engine and transmission. They differ in styling and features though. There is a lot of parts-sharing between Kia and Hyundai models.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
We are sorry to see you go. I do like the direction Kia and Hyundai are headed. You can tell these two car companies are a little hungry and are willing to take a little risk in this slumping car market. A red Kia Optima turbo charged SX would be my choice if I had to give up my 06 TSX.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll be back. I sold my 04 6-spd TSX last year and picked up a turbo Legacy 2.5GT. Two days ago I picked up another 6 speed TSX.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's understandable. 6 months ago I traded my RL and wife's 09 Civic Si for Hyundai Tucson for more room. It's the limited edition so comes with everything from Navigation to Backup Camera. It's crazy how far they have come. I think Hyundai and Kia are headed towards where Honda was few years ago. She has Tucson now since we are growing and I just picked up my 2nd TSX. I am very biased Honda fan but I was surprised to see how you can see signs of Honda in Hyundai and Kia.

Good luck with your Optima and I'm sure you will also enjoy the 10 year 100,000 miles warranty. Living in Honda world, you don't realize what wonders warranty and good customer service can do.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Advanced

Hyundai purchased 51% of Kia after they declared bankruptcy during the Asian Financial Crisis. Although they own less than 50% now, Hyundai is still the largest shareholder of Kia Motors.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Racer

I love the direction Kia & Hyundai are taking with regard to content and some of their styling. They have come a long, long way.

Based upon my own driving of an Optima and Sonata...as well as a Car & Driver review, it appears the only area where they may need some tuning is the driving dynamics. As Montag mentioned, steering feel is not yet in the same league as Honda/Acura, nor is the engine and transmission refinement. The styling and content is on a major upswing.

Speaking of styling Hyundai's Sonata and Elantra look like nothing else on the road. Ironically, as has been pointed out by the automotive press, much of the Kia line looks as though it has been influenced by the 1G TSX.

Car and Driver said the Kia Forte looks like a small TSX in shape and stance...while the headlights and entire front end design elements on the Kia Sorrento look they were lifted from a TSX.
[URL="http://carpreviews.blogspot.com/2011/11/2012-kia-sorento-review.html"]

The Optima has a small amount of that influence up front, but its overall design is very fresh and unique. I like it.

Best of luck with your new ride!

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 02-03-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

I have liked the looks of the Forte. Didn't associate it with looking like the TSX, but it's nice to see good styling on more brands.

I love the TSX and hate to give it up, but I might be moving on myself. I love the handling, styling, and after new speakers, I love the audio. Too bad I can't just collect them all. ;-)