FAQ & Instructions: Aux Audio Adapter - From Selection to Completion

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 11:00 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
accord?

has anyone done this on a 04 accord? i'm thinking about getting one and i know the head unit has an AUX input like this acura one does.

the only page i've been able to find with good instructions like this for the accord is:
http://home.comcast.net/~tom.fax/index.html

i'm wondering if taking all of that off is really necessary... i'd hate to do that to a brand new car if i get one it seems so simple on the acura... any chance of finding an easier way on the accord?
Old 12-12-2003, 11:45 PM
Registered AssHat

Re: accord?

Originally posted by thericky
has anyone done this on a 04 accord? i'm thinking about getting one and i know the head unit has an AUX input like this acura one does.

the only page i've been able to find with good instructions like this for the accord is:
http://home.comcast.net/~tom.fax/index.html

i'm wondering if taking all of that off is really necessary... i'd hate to do that to a brand new car if i get one it seems so simple on the acura... any chance of finding an easier way on the accord?
To get the same install, you have to take all those pieces off the TSX as well. It's easy to do. Now it's not totally necessary to do everything he did, but I did the same and added RCA connectors in the armrest console below the power outlet.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:25 AM
Former Audio Mod

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm, maybe I don't understand what you're trying to tell us, is this different from my install?
Old 12-13-2003, 12:49 AM
7th Gear

i wouldnt necessarily need the same install, just something that works and isnt terribly ugly. i was just wondering if, in order to get access to the port in the bottom of the head unit, it's necessary to remove ALL of those panels? would it be possible to take out the storage area without removing the others?

if not, is all of this relatively simple? i've never removed any panels before on a car but i'm not inept at figuring things out.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:02 AM
Former Audio Mod

Did you see the install instructions up there? To access the port, you just pull out the tray (carefully - watch the soft edges as you pull out) and plug it into the head unit, you don't have to take anything else out. You also don't need to put all that stuff in view, there's room enough around the tray to put the equipment back there. If you do my install, you do all of that and then run the cable inside the center console to the storage bin under the armrest and add the ports, taking out whatever's necessary to do that.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:24 PM
7th Gear

i'm talking about the accord install that i posted... not the acura one. thought maybe someone could help me with the accord.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:05 PM
2nd Gear

Here is another site (http://home.pacbell.net/vsim/) that installed the iPod with the SNHOND3 into a newer model Honda Accord. Look very clean and offers many good ideas.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:54 PM
7th Gear

wow that's well beyond what i'm willing to do to a brand new car but thanks for the web page... it does offer good ideas.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:15 PM
7th Gear

ok i ordered the SNHOND3 and am buying my accord tomorrow.

the SNHOND3 should arrive thursday or friday and then i will install it and take pictures along the way. i'll post everything here when i'm done.

thanks for your help.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:29 PM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by thericky
ok i ordered the SNHOND3 and am buying my accord tomorrow.

the SNHOND3 should arrive thursday or friday and then i will install it and take pictures along the way. i'll post everything here when i'm done.

thanks for your help.
Given that this is the TSX FAQ, please post in a new thread.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear

Do you have any idea on how you are wiring or how your setup going to be? It's always good to plan first. If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, I maybe able to help you out in person.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:39 PM
7th Gear

sorry, i forgot this was a TSX thread. i will post elsewhere on the board.

as for the plan, i'm gonna work that out soon. i'm in orlando, fl but thanks for the offer
Old 01-18-2004, 10:21 PM
10th Gear

soundgate

i live in toronto, ontario, CANADA
where can i purchase this soundgate so i can hook up my mp3 player!! i tried on line but they only ship to usa
Old 01-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Former Audio Mod

ayrton, please let us know when you find out and I'll update the thread, but you might want to try the phone number on the dealer locator page at the following URL: http://www.soundgate.com/dealer.php

Any SoundGate dealer should be able to order it for you, though they may not stock it.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:03 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: soundgate

Originally posted by ayrton
i live in toronto, ontario, CANADA
where can i purchase this soundgate so i can hook up my mp3 player!! i tried on line but they only ship to usa
I live in Toronto as well. I can tell you there are several dealers in the GTA. If you contact soundgate they can give you the number for the distributor (which is in st. catherines i believe) and they can in turn give you the names of dealers that are convinient for you. If I can dig up the phone numbers I will post them.

Expect to pay a bit more if you buy locally. The local prices seem to have been set prior to the us dollar decline.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:49 PM
8th Gear

Was hoping the moderator or someone else in the San Francisco Bay Area knew the name of any installers that could do the whole job discussed in this thread for me, at a cost of course...... I miss my I-pod love my TSX.....

Thanks,
Jeff
-----------------------------------------
UPDATE
Thanks to Schalliol for sending me over to Kutis at AMS Car Stereo on Stevens Creek . They did the SNHOND3 Install on my TSX with Navi. They wired up the cord with the Honda part I picked up across the street and did the install just like Schalliol's, coming out of the arm rest console, they added the ground loop.... Navigsation works just like before the ladies voice comes over the speakers.. Perfect Install, highly recommend..... I am using the moster cable cause it looks and feel's cool. Also less worry about it getting pinched by the armrest tray.....

Pics
http://www.offkilter.com/acuratsx.html

Thanks Again this is a great forum....
-Jeff
Old 02-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Evil Empire Peon

Anybody know of a mirror for Neil Weinstock's site?

I haven't been able to find one and I want to see if I can do the install myself before buying the SNHOND3.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2004, 07:59 PM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by Revenent
Anybody know of a mirror for Neil Weinstock's site?

I haven't been able to find one and I want to see if I can do the install myself before buying the SNHOND3.

Thanks!
D'oh, I didn't know it went down. If no one else has them, we can walk you through it. I checked the Internet Archive, but they didn't archive it.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Evil Empire Peon

Wow, thanks!

Right now, I'm just looking at how to remove the compartment so I can access the auxiliary port.

I'm following the initial instructions of putting pressure on the sides and sliding the compartment out, but it doesn't seem to want to slide out.

I'm a little afraid of breaking or scratching things, so I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing. I'm feeling the inside and I can feel a circular bump on the top of the compartment. Are there any locking mechanisms?

From the rest of the instructions, it seems like this is the hardest part (aside from not shorting out the entire car! ).
Old 02-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Former Audio Mod

Wow, thanks!

Right now, I'm just looking at how to remove the compartment so I can access the auxiliary port.

I'm following the initial instructions of putting pressure on the sides and sliding the compartment out, but it doesn't seem to want to slide out.

I'm a little afraid of breaking or scratching things, so I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing. I'm feeling the inside and I can feel a circular bump on the top of the compartment. Are there any locking mechanisms?

From the rest of the instructions, it seems like this is the hardest part (aside from not shorting out the entire car! ).
That really should do it, but you have to be really really careful. The thing on the top is probably the light inside (remember the compartment is attached for that reason). I scratched my interior slightly when pulling it out, you watch the trim edges (vinyl or whatever they are). I haven't tested it, but maybe add a piece of tape on each side so that that if the piece slips it will be less likely to scratch the area. When I did it I was really worried about pulling too hard, but if you do as it says, it should work. It's in there pretty well, so good luck. :-/
Old 02-19-2004, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

2003 TL

schalliol -- Nice job

One question,

I have a TL-2003. Does the SNHOND3 is for the 2004-TSX?

Most of the information I find for installing an ipod in my car mention the Blitsafe. I understand that you may not know about the 2003 model but I thought of asking anyways.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Former Audio Mod

Re: 2003 TL

Originally posted by alexsosa
schalliol -- Nice job

One question,

I have a TL-2003. Does the SNHOND3 is for the 2004-TSX?

Most of the information I find for installing an ipod in my car mention the Blitsafe. I understand that you may not know about the 2003 model but I thought of asking anyways.
My understanding is that it will not and you should go with whatever they recommend for the TL. Here's Soundgate's link for compatibiltiy. It seems that you ought to be able to do basically the same install though.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Don't listen to me.

Schalliol, I think you should add the Belkin Charger/adapter for the Ipod to your install instructions. It hooks up to the bottom of the Ipod and plugs into a cigarette lighter and has a plug on it for the head phone jack. This way only one wire connects to the Ipod while it gets charged.

Old 02-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Evil Empire Peon

OK, I must be a complete n00b. I can't seem to get the compartment out to see the AUX plug.

Does anybody have a picture of a non-Navi car with the compartment out so I can see what it's supposed to look like with the compartment out and what the removed compartment is supposed to look like?

I'm thinking of getting an iRiver, thinking either iMP-400 or iHP-120, and I really want to get something set up in the car for a good MP3 plug in. With the iMP/iHP remote, I might be able to construct a small holder on the wheel or dash and have a remote for the player when driving.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-26-2004, 03:26 AM
Former Audio Mod

OK, I must be a complete n00b. I can't seem to get the compartment out to see the AUX plug.

Does anybody have a picture of a non-Navi car with the compartment out so I can see what it's supposed to look like with the compartment out and what the removed compartment is supposed to look like?
Do you mean like this?
Old 02-26-2004, 03:40 AM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by ortiz
Schalliol, I think you should add the Belkin Charger/adapter for the Ipod to your install instructions.
Done, thanks!
Old 02-26-2004, 09:49 AM
Evil Empire Peon

Originally posted by schalliol
Do you mean like this?
Wow! Thanks - that's exactly what I wanted!

Hmmmm - it looks like a tighter fit than I thought. Definitely gonna have to do some space planning for this.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Former Audio Mod

It's actually got a fair amount of space in there I think you'll find.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:28 AM
Evil Empire Peon

For those in the Seattle/Lynnwood area:

Car Stereo Plus says they have the SNHOND3 for $109.95.

After-tax, that would be $119.74 (8.9%).

About $12 more expensive than the Yahoo store, but at least you have a brick and mortar to go to.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Don't listen to me.

For those in the Seattle/Lynnwood area:

Car Stereo Plus says they have the SNHOND3 for $109.95.

After-tax, that would be $119.74 (8.9%).

About $12 more expensive than the Yahoo store, but at least you have a brick and mortar to go to.
Got mine from Lee's Stereo in Visalia, CA $86 after tax. I think the sales person accidentally gave it to me at their price. $79.99 + tax.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:45 PM
w00p!

Originally posted by ortiz
I think you should add the Belkin Charger/adapter for the Ipod to your install instructions.

Unfortunately, the Belkin charger does not have a clean line out. The signal is amplified before it hits the jack.

The Monster iCharger has a unamplified pure line out - the same line out you would get from the dock connector.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Don't listen to me.

Originally posted by meteorman
Unfortunately, the Belkin charger does not have a clean line out. The signal is amplified before it hits the jack.

The Monster iCharger has a unamplified pure line out - the same line out you would get from the dock connector.
I saw that one too. But I wanted the audio connection hidden. The Belkin adapeter has the headphone jack on the charger plug. So in my set up no one can see it. The Monster ICharger has in on the Ipod connector, that means two wires from the Ipod instead of one. But I guess it depends on the persons set up.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Former Audio Mod

I added a note in the FAQ regarding the doubts about the quality of this connection.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:12 AM
The Dude

Originally posted by meteorman

I was wondering, as the Belkin charger does not have a clean line out, what would be the audio difference between an unamplified line out and an amplified line out? I'm deciding between having the one cable convenient hookup of the Belkin and the sound quality of the Monster iCharger. If it's not a significant audio difference, I think I'll just go with the Belkin.

Added thanks go to this resourceful faq; I probably would've ended up with a FM transmitter if this resource were not around.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Don't listen to me.

Originally posted by AcuraIllinois
I was wondering, as the Belkin charger does not have a clean line out, what would be the audio difference between an unamplified line out and an amplified line out? I'm deciding between having the one cable convenient hookup of the Belkin and the sound quality of the Monster iCharger. If it's not a significant audio difference, I think I'll just go with the Belkin.

Added thanks go to this resourceful faq; I probably would've ended up with a FM transmitter if this resource were not around.
I have tried both and they sounded the same to me. I hook up the Belkin Charger directly to the SNHOND3 using only the Radio Shack GLI. I just turned up the Belkin Volume up all the way and then control the volume using the stereo. Here is a link to a thread...
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=6864

pics on the second page.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:59 AM
w00p!

I have not heard the two charges side by side to compare, but there is a good comparison of the Belkin and Monster chargers over on iPod Lounge Forums .
Old 03-14-2004, 09:00 AM
w00p!

Originally posted by AcuraIllinois
I probably would've ended up with a FM transmitter if this resource were not around.
ANY charger you get with a line out is 100 gazillion times better than an FM transmitter
Old 03-14-2004, 01:07 PM
Former Audio Mod

^ I 100% agree hahahha.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Cruisin'

new install

I finally got around to installing my adapter today. I ran the same basic install as described above, and drilled a couple of holes in the storage bin (under the climate control (non-nav)) and installed the RCA wall connectors there. It's not as nice as having it in the center console, but it was a nice, simple, "do-it-yourself" install that still looks integrated.

I plan on getting an Ipod or something similar and have some questions (and concerns?). To test my install, I connected my Palm Pilot that I currently use to play MP3s to the stereo. I thought the sound was a little "tinny" and I had to crank up the stereo volume quite a bit to get a decent output. Even when I cranked the volume, the sound was not nearly as full as with the normal CD. I tried the same thing with my Minidisc player, and had the same, if not worse, results.

Should I expect the same with an iPod? Or, based on your experience, do you think the sound quality will be better? Is it possible that my connections aren't good, or my install was done poorly?

Thanks for everyone's help and input on this thread. This is something I never could have done without the assistance here.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:12 PM
Former Audio Mod

Maybe I should make it more clear in the FAQ, usually you'll have to crank up a portable device. On my iPod, I have the volume all the way up and the audio up to about 30 on the head unit.

Quick Reply: FAQ & Instructions: Aux Audio Adapter - From Selection to Completion