FAQ & Instructions: Aux Audio Adapter - From Selection to Completion

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 05:38 AM
Former Audio Mod

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
FAQ & Instructions: Aux Audio Adapter - From Selection to Completion

There's been a great deal of discussion about how to have an auxiliary audio port to listen to any audio source you can fit in your TSX (portable audio players, satellite radio, game machines, DVD players, computers, etc.). As a result, I thought I would try to unify this in a FAQ & Instructions post/sticky. e_lectro, I'd like a full audio FAQ, but this is one step towards that.

Q:What adapters work to add the aux port? Will that work for both the navigation and non-navigation head units?
A: It has been established in many threads that the Soundgate SNHOND3 adapter can work for both navigation and non-nav (sheik28, I'm a fan of just nav the "I" adds nothing, and it is more of an industry standard abbreviation) head units, but the navigation system head-unit requires modification and another part to attach the SNHOND3 (more on that later). At this time, this is the only adapter we know works.

Q: Where can I get the SNHOND3?
A: You may be able to find installers that sell Soundgate products can order you this part, but Logjam Electronics does sell this unit (currently for $99.95). (http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/sounsnhond3.html).

Q: How is the ultimate sound quality when using the adapter?
A: If installed correctly with decent cables, the sound quality should be basically the same as the source. The limiting factors primarily will be the power out of the unit you plug-in (portable devices often are designed for headphone use, so you may need to tweak a volume level to achieve optimum output, and you might need to turn up your head unit's volume higher than you would when using the CD changer) and shielding/quality of the cables used.

Q: Overall, is the install simple?
A: For non-nav head units, there's a plug that's easily accessible after removing the storage area under the stereo and then it is easy to run the cable out into the footwell. For nav units more difficult (see below).

Q: Can you give me some install instructions for a non-nav head unit?
A: Sure.[list=1][*]Purchase the SNHOND3.[*]Remove the storage tray. As packrat555, from another forum states, "putt[ing] your hands inside and kinda spread them outwards to go enough pressure, also kind grab on the the lower lip with thumb and forefinger…Don't pull on the door…Be very carefull around the trim as it scratches easily." Having just done my GLI install (as below), what I didn't fully understand is where the scratches can happen (and they did for me). When you pull out the tray, there is very little clearance between the tray and the side trim. In my case of Parchment, the scratches are visible, so be careful. You may want to try Painter's Tape (here for a link to free product from 3M) as recommended by satoshi801 because it shouldn't leave a any sticky mess.[*]With a mirror, you don't need to remove the head unit.[*]Plug in the adapter into the connector (as noted in Neil Weinstock's site). There are some great pictures here all doing an install should see.[*]Install a ground loop isolator (GLI) if you are planning to use a charger/power source with the device you wish to plug in (thanks to Perturbed & Lung Fu Mo Shi for the info!! Also, Ellis Dawson also gives an alternate solution later in this thread). If you have a 3rd+ generation iPod, you might want to consider the Belkin Auto charger with audio for the power source, as it allows you to use a single cable for both connections to the iPod (thanks Ortiz!). Note that on the 5th page of this FAQ there are some comments about the quality of this connection you should consider. An example GLI is the $14.99 unit from Radio Shack:
[*]Route the cables where you want them to go for your install and you're done! If you want to use more cable than the GLI will give you, you'll need RCA male-to-male connectors as can be purchased about anywhere (See the last post if you want to see how I had this mounted in a "stealth" way.)[*]The head unit works as normal. Change to CD by hitting the CD/AUX button, and then to the RCA input by hitting the button again- the audio system will say "CDC". (Thanks Mojo!)[/list=1]

Q: Can you give me some install instructions for a navigation head unit?
A: This answer is from mojo in another post (Thanks mojo!! ). We'll refer to the one above for the non-nav, because the nav mainly requires extra steps.[list=1][*]Follow step 1 & 2 from the non-nav instructions.[*]Then purchase the audio harness for the Accord (P/N 08A31-0E1-010) from any Honda place; it's around $30.[*]Split open the outer jacket of the SNHOND3 cable to expose the wires. Specifically, we need the brown, blue, and orange wires in the SNHOND3 cable. [*]Cut the female end of the Accord adapter off, and cut back the outer covering. There's a couple of grey shielded cables inside of this one- one has a grey and orange wire, as well as the metal shielding. Cut back all other wires, and expose the grey and orange wires, and twist the shielding into a wire.[*]Next splice (either by cutting the SNHOND3 cable's brown, blue, and orange wires, or exposing the wires and soldering in, or by using an inline crimp; I cut and soldered for a cleaner installation) the lines together like so:

Accord grey -> SNHOND3 brown
Accord orange -> SNHOND3 blue
Accord metal shielding -> SNHOND3 orange

Note that the SNHOND3 cables are straight through-you're just Y-ing off the three wires to the female connector.

Once all of this is done, seal with electrical tape or heat-shrink. You'll end up with a cable like the last cable pictured (see link).[*]Unplug the white connector under the Navi (when the CD changer tray is removed), plug it into the female connector. Then plug the SNHOND3 cable into the Navi and into the interface. [*] Follow steps 5-7 from the non-nav instructions.[/list=1]Mojo's Images & Install instructions.

Q: The SNHOND3 says it's for a Sony CD Changer, will it work for something other than this?
A: If you do install a Sony CD Changer (not aware of anyone who has, since you get 6 in-dash as it is), you should be able to control the changer from the head unit, but without hooking up the uni-link bus, you can use it as an auxiliary input for any device.

Q: If I install this, how do I control the (MP3 Player, satellite or other audio source)?
A: Unless you get a Sony CD Changer as mentioned above, only your volume and tonal controls will function for this source, just control it as though you were listening to headphones on the unit.

Q: If I hook up a portable DVD player or game machine, can watch it on the nav screen? (if available).
A: That's a separate issue. This adapter just allows you to use audio of any source through your head unit. However, if you can get the video working (see other threads), you should be able to use stereo audio in on from the video source through this adapter.

Q: I thought about getting the Tape deck my dealer offers, would the quality be better using the tape deck with a cassette adapter or the SNHOND3?
A: The SNHOND3 quality would certainly be better. The SNHOND3 basically goes directly to the pre-amp, like a CD player, so saying that the tape deck would be better would be like saying that the sound quality of an analog cassette is better than a CD. The cassette can't support the full frequency sound available and will introduce noise.

Q: I thought about getting a FM Modulator, would the quality be better using the tape deck with a cassette adapter or the SNHOND3?
A: Same deal as with the cassette deck, FM audio can't support the full frequency sound available and will introduce noise. Furthermore, in busy areas FM broadcasts will distort the signal, just ask RogerPodacter or many others.

Q: Is Logjam an authorized distributor? How is the ordering process?
A: S2KALI, checked that out and found that it was noted as such on the Soundgate website. They work through Yahoo and my product came quite quickly and others have noted similar luck (if it was in stock), but I haven't performed an exhaustive search of this.

Q: Once I have the SNHOND3 hooked up on either type of head unit, what do I need?
A: You mainly just need a cable terminated with RCAs (hopefully one designed to reject noise) that connects to whatever device you want to hook up, but there are other options. If you are connecting to an iPod or other portable audio cable with a headphone/minijack output, you might like the Monster iCable, it's got small connectors on the RCA end, for easy install. Monster iCable at amazon.com. There are higher end and cheaper options.

Q: If I install this, will it disable the built-in 6 disc changer?
A: Nope! All you have to do is press the CD/AUX button once on CD mode and you will switced to CD-C mode, for the AUX (standing for CD-Changer, that's what the SNHOND3 was designed for).

Q:I want more than one input, what then?
A: Currently the best way I know of is using good quality RCA Y-splitters, this would mean that if you're using both of your sources at once that you'll hear both on the system. You could go with a more "pre-amp" style unit that would allow you to flip between the sources, but it would requite a switch mounted somewhere. I'm not sure what specific product would work, but I could find out. If you don't mind moving the cable from one device to another, you can certainly switch that way, like if you have books on tape you'd like to hear on that long trip, but you normally use an MP3/AAC player.

Q: Why shouldn't I just get Honda's MP3 CD Player?
A: It's not a bad option, but it might be a pain for you to manage the content. As Lung Fu Mo Shi noted, "If your iPod breaks, you upgrade, whatever, you can always use what you have in the car. For example, my Neuros is coming with Ogg support which I dearly love. I'll be able to upgrade the firmware in my Neuros to play these songs, but with the built in MP3/CD player I'm stuck with whatever it provides." Keep in mind that SACD audio is becoming more common and they're talking about devices beyond the capacity of DVD, options are going to be out there! Additionally, as slo007 noted, "the Acura MP3 player doesn't show ID tags…Which means you won't be able to see the name of the songs, only the track number (like playing a CD)." This would be a problem with all the MP3s you might have.

Q: Could I use this as a speakerphone with a mobile phone?
A: You could use the audio system of your TSX for this, but you would need to have a microphone that could handle "hearing" the output from the speakers to avoid feedback (you don't want feedback). You would want to make sure you can convert the output from your phone to a pair of RCAs of course. I think Radio Shack or Fry's would help you there. You could have a very directional microphone I would guess that would help with this, but I haven't heard of anyone doing this.

Q: Can I control my iPod from the steering wheel track buttons and the head unit?
A: While no one to my knowledge has done it, the answer should be yes! I contacted a company called Denison with regards to their ICELink product and use in our cars with the SNHOND3 adapter and got the following response:
All you need is a "Sony" type ICELink available from our web site for $149 -- it will plug into the Soundgate adapter (must connecta all plugs) and will play nice
http://www.dension.com/

Q: So, you put up this FAQ, what did you do with your system or how can we do an install that's fully hidden?
A: I thought you'd never ask , here you go. My aux system came to life as follows (I let a pro rip apart the center console):[list=1][*]In addition to the SNHOND3, I bought a 6 foot Stinger Expert Series Interconnect from Car Domain because of the extensive shielding, good quality cable, and the small connectors for easy installation.[*]I gathered my older Acoustic Research (not wonderful, but good) minijack to RCA cable for my iPod.[*]Installed SNHOND3 as above FAQ note for non-nav head unit with ground loop isolator.[*]Opened up the center console as needed and ran the interconnect over to the pocket of the center console where the power outlet is.[*]Purchased a wall A/V RCA plate.[*]Removed the red and white connectors from the wall plate.[*]Drilled a hole in the wall of the center console bin for each RCA (caution, don't make the hole too big, it needs a good solid surface).[*]Attached the red and white connectors through the hole.[*]Connected the cables to the RCA connectors on each side of the pocket wall.[/list=1]Now the system will allow me to remove the cable that's in the console bin and allow it to look basically what a factory system might look like. Now the cable can emerge from the console bin, travel up under the clips on the movable divider in the storage bin and up through the hold to the top of the divider. There the iPod can sit, totally enclosed (with power if needed), out of the way for driving the twisties. Alternatively, I can run the cable out the hole just below the arm rest and keep the arm rest closed for handheld operations.

That's it! I love the install and it works great. I took a lot of photos of the system after it was complete so you can see how it appears and works, with more images than what are available in my signature's link. I also posted a picture here because it seems that for a portable device, this is a look people might be interested in having:

Schalliol TSX Aux/iPod setup

I hope this FAQ has been useful. More can be added to this list as needed. Hopefully we'll have more FAQs like this in the forum. I tried to quote or mention people who posted items that were useful in the creation of this FAQ. However, I forgot you somehow, please let me know.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Job!!!
Old 10-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Good piece of work schalliol ... good to have you on board as part of our mod staff
Old 10-05-2003, 10:53 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great stuff!
Old 10-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Former Audio Mod

Re: Re: FAQ & Instructions: Aux Audio Adapter - From Selection to Completion

Originally posted by bheywow
using y spilitters is a bad idea, you are tying the output transistors from 2 devices together. Soundgate also sells a switching device that could be used for switching between 2 devices part # ABSWC1, other switching devices are around as well
Thanks for the info there. I wasn't aware of these devices (looks good).

sheik28, provench, and fdl, thanks very much, I'm glad to be here. It's excellent to see other people who are as into the cars and other details as much as I am.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:18 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so schalliol...are you running this cool ipod setup through the stock speakers? Just wondering if you have done anything to improve the sound. I'm thinking the best bang for the buck thing to do is swap out the front door speakers.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:54 AM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by fdl
so schalliol...are you running this cool ipod setup through the stock speakers? Just wondering if you have done anything to improve the sound. I'm thinking the best bang for the buck thing to do is swap out the front door speakers.
For the moment I am using the stock setup (got the car not that long ago and have been selecting the perfect pieces and getting this set for the install since). I think I'm going to do some sort of upgrade this Christmas/Birthday (the day after), but I'm not totally sure yet, but I will edit this post with a link fairly to my commentary on choices so we can keep this on topic. In short, I think that upgrading the front door speakers would be a big help, but I also believe that the amp needs to be improved (not just louder).
Old 10-07-2003, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

Nice job with the FAQ, and with the iPod install!
Old 10-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Cruisin'

Hey schalliol - great work! Looks real professional. I have a couple of questions:

First, how does it sound? As good as listening to a CD?

How did you get the interconnect cable from the adaptor to the center console pocket? And are the other sides of the RCA plugs from the wall plate in the cup holder?
Old 10-08-2003, 12:08 AM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by neilw Nice job with the FAQ, and with the iPod install!
Originally posted by beldredge Hey schalliol - great work! Looks real professional.
Thank you!!

First, how does it sound? As good as listening to a CD?
I did a test with 16-bit 48KHz uncompressed AIFF file and it seemed to sound better than the CD, but it's the same as far as I can tell. It's limited by the source primarily. When my iPod is off, even at sound level 35 I hear ZERO noise. I am impressed! I highly recommend really well isolated interconnects like mine, but of course I haven't tried the cheap-o kind. I will say that my original 5GB iPod requires about 10 volume levels higher for the same basic output I'd get from the CD however. I don't think however that I'd need it louder than the max of the head unit. I know there are other options to amplify this so that they are at comparable levels, but I am sure they introduce some noise, so I think I'll keep it as is for now.

How did you get the interconnect cable from the adaptor to the center console pocket?
Well, knowing the cost of a service manual, I had an installer do it for me (next to Stevens Creek Acura, that has done a lot of Acura installs). It took him about 45 minutes or so to do it. I didn't see exactly how he did it all, but he took apart the center console to run the cable straight over to the front end of the console.

And are the other sides of the RCA plugs from the wall plate in the cup holder?
The cup holders look like they always did. I think that if the RCA connectors on the Stinger interconnects were larger they would not have fit like these did. The only thing exposed in the install is the jacks.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:37 PM
Master in Science

Re: FAQ & Instructions: Aux Audio Adapter - From Selection to Completion

Originally posted by schalliol
Q: The SNHOND3 says it's for a Sony CD Changer, will it work for something other than this?
A: If you do install a Sony CD Changer (not aware of anyone who has, since you get 4 in-dash as it is), you should be able to control the changer from the head unit, but without hooking up the uni-link bus, you can use it as an auxiliary input for any device.
[/B]
TSX has 6 CDs in dash, not 4. Overall a great FAQ.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:06 AM
Former Audio Mod

Re: Re: FAQ & Instructions: Aux Audio Adapter - From Selection to Completion

Originally posted by slo007
TSX has 6 CDs in dash, not 4. Overall a great FAQ.
How the heck did I put 4?! Oh well, thanks for the correction, it most certainly is 6! I think I was doing this pretty late some night. I'm going to update the FAQ now, thanks again.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:00 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for the info. My iPod works great in my car now.

I would add one thing to your faq. In one of the other threads someone recommends getting a Ground Loop Isolator from Radio Shack. This is a must so you dont get any engine or ground noise.

I tried both ways and it made a big difference.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:37 PM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by Perturbed
Thanks for the info. My iPod works great in my car now.

I would add one thing to your faq. In one of the other threads someone recommends getting a Ground Loop Isolator from Radio Shack. This is a must so you dont get any engine or ground noise.

I tried both ways and it made a big difference.
Excellent.

Hmm, I could add the isolator, but I have ZERO noise even at 35 when my iPod isn't playing, I don't even know that the head unit is on. Where did you put the isolator? Any pics?
Old 10-22-2003, 10:49 PM
Registered AssHat

Excellent.

Hmm, I could add the isolator, but I have ZERO noise even at 35 when my iPod isn't playing, I don't even know that the head unit is on. Where did you put the isolator? Any pics?
Do you have your iPod car charger plugged in? If it's running on batteries, you won't hear it.

I put the isolator right next to the SNHOND3 behind the top console bin.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
Do you have your iPod car charger plugged in? If it's running on batteries, you won't hear it.

I put the isolator right next to the SNHOND3 behind the top console bin.
Ahhhh. I actually don't have an iPod charger (w/ 10 hour battery I don't find that i need it, but it's nice anyway and I plan to get one). So, I'll look further into this and will add it to the FAQ.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:01 AM
Registered AssHat

Ahhhh. I actually don't have an iPod charger (w/ 10 hour battery I don't find that i need it, but it's nice anyway and I plan to get one). So, I'll look further into this and will add it to the FAQ.
Yup. It's a "GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR" If you have no ground loop (caused by your iPod power cable ground to your hard-wired headunit ground) you have no problem.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:46 AM
Former Audio Mod

makes sense indeed.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:11 PM
9th Gear

I heard engine noise when I was just on batteries and engine noise + gound loop noise when using the charger.

The ground loop isolator took out all the noise.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:22 AM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by Perturbed
I heard engine noise when I was just on batteries and engine noise + gound loop noise when using the charger.

The ground loop isolator took out all the noise.
Interesting, I wonder why you have engine noise w/o and I don't. I really do need to do a search, but since I'm replying to this one, are there any pics or links to a GLI and detail about where it was installed. I understand it is near the SNHOND3, but how, I'm not sure. Tell me to just look it up if you like
Old 10-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Registered AssHat

Interesting, I wonder why you have engine noise w/o and I don't. I really do need to do a search, but since I'm replying to this one, are there any pics or links to a GLI and detail about where it was installed. I understand it is near the SNHOND3, but how, I'm not sure. Tell me to just look it up if you like
Radioshack Link

I actually go mine from CarToys, but it looks just the same. From my Neuros (iPod like) to the headunit it looks like this:

Neuros -> 3.5mm to RCA cord -> RCA wall jacks -> RCA 3ft. extender -> Ground Loop Isolator -> SNHOND3 -> headunit.

As a note, I got all my cables from Target too. Cheapest place to find "normal" cables and not the $50 "MONSTER" cables that I could give a rip about.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:52 PM
4th Gear

I found that a GOOD SOLID SHORT GROUND, attached to the chassis of the vehicle eliminated any audible noises in my system. This ground was used as the DC return line for my XM Roady. I picked it up from a bolt under the tunnel cover when I extracted DC power from the aux power receptacle. Without this good ground, I was getting annoying noises. Give it a try. I did not use a GLI.
Old 10-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by Ellis Dawson
I found that a GOOD SOLID SHORT GROUND, attached to the chassis of the vehicle eliminated any audible noises in my system. This ground was used as the DC return line for my XM Roady. I picked it up from a bolt under the tunnel cover when I extracted DC power from the aux power receptacle. Without this good ground, I was getting annoying noises. Give it a try. I did not use a GLI.
Of course it would. The car's "chassis" ground is THE ground. All grounds connect to a single point on the chassis.

The reason why there are grounding issues with the aux, is due the power noise (spark plugs, etc.) creating high currents to ground. If you connect a wire between the ground of an iPod and headunit (through the RCA cables) you have just changed the impedance.

The way a GLI works is by putting an RC filter between the two grounds of the RCA plugs. Thus you have broken this line and both the headunit and iPod now use chassis ground as a reference.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:58 AM
JR8
Cruisin'

hand free phone kit

Can someon tell me if the SNHOND3 works with the hands free kit from Acura? I just ordered the kit and I would also like to install the audio adapter while I have the car torn apart.

I tried posting the directions for the phone kit, but they were too big. It looks like the phone adds a single wire to the 20-pin wire harness that plugs into the tuner and has a Y connection for the 20-pin cable that plugs into the amplifier.

Can any of you SNHOND3 experts tell me if this will work?

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:52 AM
Former Audio Mod

Re: hand free phone kit

Lung Fu Mo Shi and Ellis Dawson, thanks for the posts, I'm trying to determine what I want to do.

Originally posted by JR8
I tried posting the directions for the phone kit, but they were too big. It looks like the phone adds a single wire to the 20-pin wire harness that plugs into the tuner and has a Y connection for the 20-pin cable that plugs into the amplifier.
Hmm, I'm a bit confused by the terminology. Are you saying that the phone kit injects a single wire to the cable that runs from the pre-amplifier output (head unit) and goes down to the amp? If so, the output to that cable must be amplified, but is there a cable going into the head unit then? (I guess the 20 pin cable could be bi-directional and could send a signal up to the head unit and then back out to the amp via the same cable) Do you need to press the Aux button to use the phone? If so, it probably will use the pre-amp section for the aux and you won't have the CD-C option available for the SNHOND3. If not, it seems like you should be able to just plug the SNHOND3 and use it as you would normally. We should be able to figure this out, I just need more info.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:46 PM
JR8
Cruisin'

Thanks for the response schalliol.

You are correct, the phone adapter has a single cable that snaps into the wire harness, which in turn, plugs into the pre-amp output from the head unit. I am guessing this is how the radio is muted?

The other end of the 20 pin cable then connects to the phone wire harness. From the phone wire harness a 20 pin cable is plugged into the amp.

I know this probably doesn't sound right because I am having a hard time trying to describe it. I don't think there is anything from the phone adapter that needs to be sent to the radio, other than the mute cable. I don't think the AUX button needs to be pressed for the phone to work. The more I think about it, the more I think it will work.

If anyone wants a copy of the pdf file, PM me and I will email it to you (766K).
Old 11-16-2003, 02:02 AM
Instructor

Will the storage tray a good place to store the iPod?
Old 11-16-2003, 02:06 AM
Former Audio Mod

Did you check out my pics? It's great for me.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:24 AM
Instructor

I mean the storage bin that's under the a/c.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:32 AM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by tinyau01
I mean the storage bin that's under the a/c.
Oh, well, it's not as good in my opinion, but still pretty good. It gets warm in there I hear though, a bit larger space would be nice.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:04 PM
Instructor

What's the difference between the Monster iCable and other RCA to minijack cable?
Old 11-16-2003, 10:15 PM
Former Audio Mod

What's the difference between the Monster iCable and other RCA to minijack cable?
Monster of a price? ;-) Just kidding, the quality of the cable. Don't get a zip cord cheap-o unit, but you might want to look around. I had a custom cable made some years ago by StraightWire, but now there is better stuff stock, by far. I use an Acoustic Research unit, which is probably on par w/ that Monster Cable, but I've also had a couple others.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Just the quality?
How come Monster cable has a specific "iCable" for the iPod and have some other RCA to minijack cable with different name?
Old 11-17-2003, 12:23 AM
Former Audio Mod

Just the quality?
How come Monster cable has a specific "iCable" for the iPod and have some other RCA to minijack cable with different name?
It's all about the marketing. Yep, it's not specific to the iPod:
The Most Advanced High Performance MP3 Player Requires Higher Performance Audio Cable.
When your listening to MP3 tunes through the iPOD's [sic] high performance headphones, the digital sound quality is mind-blowing. If you want that same amazing sound quality when you hook up your iPOD [sic] to your stereo, Ordinary audio cable won't cut it. You need higher performance cable that's got the advanced technologies and design to maximize performance.

Monster's High Performance iCable Delivers CD-Quality sound from your iPod. Like all Monster audio products, the iCable features advanced technologies and design for high performance sound. Here's the breakdown. Ordinary audio interconnect cables use a mish-mosh of different gauges and strandings throwing off the balance of the left and right channels, delivering poor imaging and lesser overall performance. iCable features dual "balanced" conductors which deliver digital music in crystal clear sound with incredibly deep, tight bass. The DoubleHelix construction uses tightly twisted conductors to eliminate electromagnetic interference. Your iPod will deliver all the enhanced frequency response (20-20,000 Hz) it was designed to for superior sound.

Let's talk about noise. Ordinary audio cables can transmit all kinds of noise known as radio frequency (RF) and electromagnetic (EM) interference. Monster solves this problem in two ways. XLN Xtra Low Noise construction twists both conductors in a unique impenetrable helical winding that provides superior noise rejection. iCable also features a 10% foil shield for additional noise rejection. All you'll hear is the killer-sounding music-no noise.

High Performance 24k Gold Contact Audio Connectors.
Both iCable minijack and RCA audio connections are 24k gold plated for optimum signal transfer and corrosion resistance. So, you're Monster cable will sound great and last a lifetime.

Get All the Performance You Paid For.
Just plug in Monster Cable and listen to the extraordinary improvements that properly designed cables can make. You are about to hear your music as you've never heard before.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Which means any good quality cable will do the same thing as the iCable, and it will also work with any minijack devices?
I can get a good quality cable easily, but not the iCable. That's why I want to it clear first.
Planning to order the SNHOND3 on Dec. 1 (Pay-day).
Old 11-17-2003, 01:55 AM
Former Audio Mod

Yep yep! If you have any doubts, re-read the FAQ at the beginning. I haven't added it yet, but if you want to charge it up while playing, you'll want the $15 ground loop eliminator from Radio Shack mentioned here. How are you installing your system, are you going to do the jacks like I did or in some other way.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:21 PM
Instructor

I'm not sure if I want the car charger. Is it really a must have item? If not. I'll do the install myself, just drill a hold at the storage bin and plug in the iPod everytime I go into the car. Otherwise, find a store to run the wire to the armrest compartment, so I can use the car charger.
By the way, just bought the iCable. I told the sales from FutureShop what I want and he said the iCable is one of the best from the market.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:55 AM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by tinyau01I'm not sure if I want the car charger. Is it really a must have item?
No, but you need to make sure that you don't accidentally run down the battery.

If not. I'll do the install myself, just drill a hold at the storage bin and plug in the iPod everytime I go into the car. Otherwise, find a store to run the wire to the armrest compartment, so I can use the car charger.
You could use the car charger if you wanted via the port up front if you like. I had my iPod and no charger for 1.5 years and I sometimes forgot to get it charged, which sucked. However, you won't need the Ground Loop Isolator ($15) if you don't use the DC adapter.

By the way, just bought the iCable. I told the sales from FutureShop what I want and he said the iCable is one of the best from the market.
I don't doubt that it is one of the best on the market, I was just trying to get across that it's nothing specific, most are just crappy cables, and I would probably have gotten one if it were available when I got the things I have.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:11 PM
Instructor

I'm afraid I'll forget to charge too!
Thanks for all the advices!!!!!
Can't wait for the pay-day, just order the SNHOND3 yesterday.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Former Audio Mod

Updated the FAQ, included ground loop isolator info, as well as info on the ICElink

Quick Reply: FAQ & Instructions: Aux Audio Adapter - From Selection to Completion