EZ-Pass and Privacy

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EZ-Pass and Privacy

All it takes is a subpoena... even from a small claims suit.

LINK
Old 12-11-2003, 08:16 PM
Advanced

The comment at the end about the "special pouch" that blocks the card's signal is not a secret. When I got EZ-Pass over 3 years ago, the card came with a note saying to place it back in the mylar bag to block it's signal.

In a related event, there were some plans discussed a while back to put EZ-Pass readers at various intervals on freeways to track car locations. This could be used to calculate average speed between two points, and determine if the car is speeding.

There's little chance that this will ever be done. But, it shows that the Big Brother folk are always thinking.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by tirebiter
In a related event, there were some plans discussed a while back to put EZ-Pass readers at various intervals on freeways to track car locations. This could be used to calculate average speed between two points, and determine if the car is speeding.

There's little chance that this will ever be done. But, it shows that the Big Brother folk are always thinking.
I've heard mention of EZ-Pass tolls/times and so forth on Law and Order as evidence of where a suspect was during before a murder and whatnot.

Maybe I'm predispoed towards Orwellian thoughts, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is happening already especially with that comment about how NJ and NY use the info to detect traffic patterns (cool idea). I'll bet anything that the NJ Turnpike Commission/Parkway/etc would find average speeds between exits or tolls to be valuable information, even if they don't use that data to issue speeding tickets.