Experiences buying my TSX in the bay area

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 05:38 PM
Max
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experiences buying my TSX in the bay area

Hey everyone,

I just got my TSX this Saturday from Oakland Acura.
They are the only ones who had it exactly as I want it - Black w/Parchment and Navi and auto (so that my mom can take her off my hands in 5 years). Apparently parchment isn't the most popular color, but I think it makes the car look more luxurious, but I digress.
This dealership wasn't pushy at all and I've had a very pleasant experience with them, aside from getting what I think was a rip off on my '95 Camry trade-in. They offered $2600, and I talked them up to $3000, which is still $400 less than the blue book trade-in price. It was a really great car, and it's a shame to see her go for so little. On the other hand I did get $650 off the sticker price and a free nose mask (it doesn't look that bad on black and I know what driving on the 5 LA<>Bay area can do to a car's paint job) and car cover. I also got a LoJack unit with the 5K warranty for $900 (talked them down from $1400). Not that bad of a deal overall since the next closest TSX with my options was in Sacramento. The Acura is also literally just off the truck, I had the first test drive, it had 10miles on it when I drove it away. 100% Japan too, so hopefully no rattles ever.

While looking for my car I did run into one major asshole - Mike, the new sales manager of Pleasanton Acura. I called them asking whether they had the TSX and was told yes by one of the staff. I called back an hour later to schedule a time I could come in the next day and got Mike. This is how the conversation went:
Max: Hi, this is Max, I called an hour ago about the black navi TSX, and I'd like to schedule a time I could come in tomorrow.
Mike: Black TSX? We don't have any in stock.
Max: ... I just talked with Farooq an hour ago, he said you had it.
Mike: Max, this is a car dealership - we sell cars here.
Max: So you sold the TSX within the past hour?
Mike: Max, I'm Mike the new Sales manager. We don't have that car, but I can ask another dealership to swap it with us.
Max: I can ask another dealership myself. I'm asking you if you sold that particular TSX just now.
Mike: Look Max, I'm trying to help you here, but you're not understanding anything.
Max: Mike, you're not answering my question - did you just sell the black TSX in the past hour?
Mike: I just sold 5 cars in the past hour.
Max: That's great, and I'm sure you know which ones you did, so tell me if the black TSX was one of them.
Mike: OK Max, I'm going to hang up now.
At this point I threw down the reciever myself, comletely outraged at this treatment. If I met this guy in person and he gave me the same treatment I'd have caved in his nose. I can't imagine how a manager can be so unattentive to a possible $30K sale, and just so vulgar in general. Well when Acura calls me to ask about how my sales experience went I'll definetley tell them about Mike, and do everything I can to make sure his tenure at Acura is short.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:45 AM
Racer

Pleasanton offered me something like $800 or $850 off, but there was something condescending in the email's tone that was really offputting. I can't find it in Outlook now.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Intermediate

Did you correspond with Dave Treadway? I heard he's a decent guy. He offered $500 off MSRP. Stevens Creek is offering $750.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Max
Racer

Stevens Creek guys were real nice, but didn't have my car. There are only 5 Black/Parchment/Navi TSXs in all of California, and the next closest one after Oakland was in Sacramento.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:35 PM
in HKDM land!

sorry to bring his thread back to life, but Pleasanton Acura was really helpful in choosing my TSX. i got a great deal off Farooq and I WOULD recommend Pleasanton Acura for a Bay Area dealership. maybe their service changed since 2003.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:32 PM
10th Gear

Pleasanton Acura SUCKS!

I'd suggest you read this thread on Acura of Pleasanton's service department. Treated me like crap a couple of weeks ago...

CLICK HERE
Old 03-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Either da chinese is an employee of Pleasanton Acura (and a stealth poster) or, more likely, the personnel have changed at that establishment since his last business with Pleasanton (apparently in 2003.) I would say the latter is more likely because the employee turnover rate in the car sales business is FIERCE, one of the highest rates of any profession. But based on the postings I've seen, it looks like Pleasanton has a new philosophy of customer service.