Ever Driven Through a Shower of Glass?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Ever Driven Through a Shower of Glass?

Last Thursday and Friday, I worked on my TSX for about a day's worth of time to detail, clean up and do touch-ups, getting the car ready for my brother's wedding.

Why so much effort, do you ask?

I was probably the happiest man besides the groom himself, having the honor to be their driver. (that means a lot to me! )

Unfortunately though, I tried to get an RL to drive them along, despite that my bro wanted me to use my own car. I unfortunately wasn't able to find out one even though I had even gone as far as posting in RL if someone was kind enough to rent me thiers for the week-end. It seems no one owning an RL lives within a 200 mile radius from me, so I had to drop the idea. It meant for me that I was going to use my own car then.

My pretty much neglected TSX when it comes to car care then needed a lot of work. So I went in depth with all I knew to do on my car... I think the result was really not bad at all, considering the 175,000km the car has.

Here's what it looked like (you might also notice that I sanded and painted my disk hubs):

But then I head for Ottawa to my brother's place, and not far from my place on HWY 20, following a Dodge Caravan, suddenly, his driver side window flew in bits and pieces directly on my car. (How often did anyone ever see that!?) I had so many stone chips and dents from all the mileage I have on my car, but then all of a sudden, I have DOUBLE that amount because of all the glass that flew on my car. Many of those aren't mild chips, they're friggin cuts and dents!

You guys might remember last week I had my windshield and chrome grill trims replaced... well now they're fucked too.

At least I had brought along my touch-up paint with me, so I was able to sort mask the damage, but I'm pretty sure the front bumper is beyond repair, and the whole front end now definitely will need a good repaint.

I even have chips on the side doors and windows, it's just unreal.

Oh well, that's life I guess...

Here are supplemental pics I have of a few rusted out rock dents I repaired and repainted myself:

A few chips:

I used among things a dremel with a very fine burr to remove the rust:

To do the touch-ups, I used toothpicks. It helped spread the paint more precisely and evenly than with the brush. I started with a base coat (consisting of aluminum color Tremclad ... which I hope will help seal better than just some touch-up paint), then I went with a few other layers of Acura touch-up paint.

Result:

Let's hope it lasts till next year. Then, I'll get the whole front end repainted, along with my headlights replaced. And I'll then have the whole front end covered with gravel guard.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk about bad luck.

Good job though. It's a lotta work, but it looks awesome.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:04 AM
04 remembrance

That's just terrible..the shower, not the driving.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:15 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
If only your TSX could talk.......

So did you confront the driver of the Caravan?

And sauce, things could be worse. Your car probly looks better (paint wise) than mine. Dark colors show every little mark and scratch. Be glad you got the silver.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Something new to look out for on the highway.

That sucks man...I feel for you.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn Jeff that blows.

Looks like you've made a pretty good recovery though.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's weak Sauce.

Sorry to hear about that man, especially after you did all of those things last week.

Any idea what made the guys driver side window shatter?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^...oops that was suppose to be
Old 06-07-2005, 01:34 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
sorry to hear that sauceman, i got a nice big scrap along the drivers side rear of my car from some asshole who didn't know how to park. person damaged my car and screwed so i have to pay the deductible. paint shop i am bringing it too is booked until august. hopefull by then i will have some dough to buy the mugen grill and i'll have them throw that on their at the same time.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
sauceman -- if you were in Ontario (?????) at the time, if you have his plate and can possibly get a witness (not always required), you can have his insurance cover it 100%.

Same goes for rocks flying from tires if they don't have mud/stone guards...

Worth looking into IMO.

~Eric

PS: Ottawa! Woo! Where does your brother live in the Ottawa area?
Old 06-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Wow that same thing happened to ATXCLS in his brand new TL this year when he was driving up for a meet.

A truck was in front of him and the driver side window blew out and showered him with glass. It did like 3000 dollars of damage which looked very similar to yours. I'm sorry about your ride man!
Old 06-07-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 694 Likes on 417 Posts
Damn, sauceman, I just had a minute of silence for you.

Too bad you didn't say you were coming to Ottawa, we could have had a mini-meet in your honour here with the few Ottawa members on this forum
Old 06-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Advanced

'C'est Poche' as somebody local would say

Had something similar happen to me on the Metropolitain when my EL was just a few weeks old back in 97; the pavement had been redone the night before and not enough tar was used so all the gravel started flying all over (the 'Met' is an elevated highway, so no way out ). There were pits all over on my brand new car...

I know how you feel
Old 06-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Apex Clipper

Dayum, that sux man!
I guess this means she'll look that much better after the re-paint! (Trying to make the best of it...)
Old 06-08-2005, 06:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Damn Jeff that blows.

Looks like you've made a pretty good recovery though.
I did my best. I must really be jinxed with highway debris though. What's next? Deer? Moose? Bring it!

dom: No, at the time I saw marks on my windshield but couldn't have guessed the danage was so extensive, so I drove on. I am pretty happy about the way SSM hides imperfections though. That was why I bought it. I used to have a black Accord, and that car was hell to maintain, and also the heat soak was unreal.

jiggaman: sucks for your scratch too man, I feel for you.

tsx536: I really don't know. The guy was driving smoothly, and he didn't seem to make any abrupt move. Maybe he unluckily pressed his elbow on the wrong spot. Those windows always have one very weak spot.

curls: I was in Beloeil, Qc, so no go.

Belzebutt: The mini-meet would have been really fun, but honestly I really didn't have any spare time, it was a pretty buzy and exhausting week-end. My brother lives in Casselman, btw.

Encyclo: C'est poche en osti! Seriously, I know what you mean. Sometimes they have no brains when paving. A few years ago, on HWY 10 they paved when it was raining. Guess what, on that winter, it all came off. All cars that drove there in that time were left in terrible shape. What's worst is that Transport Quebec couldn't be held responsible.

Canyonball: That's the spirit my friend!

Ok, I think I've answered to everybody. Sorry for being late to answer...