Euro R petals - Install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Euro R petals - Install DIY

First Ive got to apologize for the phone pic's but whatever you can still get the point.

Tools needed
1. Drill + bits
2. spring loaded center punch
3. Pop riveter
4. Swiss army knife or a small blade
5. Dremel + cutting disks

Picks of what the parts look like out of the box, Note the bracket and lever that come with the JDM petals cannot be used.

I'm going to start with the gas petal.

First start by taking a good look at how the top part of the JDM gas petal assembly is put together, because when you are reassembling it on the car you will not be able to really see what you are doing.

Now take a small blade and slide it in between the lock washer and the assembly and pry it off, then slide the retaining pin out.

Repeat the last procedure on the USDM assembly.

Once that is done its time to remove the gas petal from the car there is a small lever/clip behind the insertion point of the assembly, pull back on it and rock the assembly back and forth until it pops out.

Now for the last step i don't have a pic because its tough to get your arms up there let alone a camera + parts.

Clip the new Assembly into the insertion point on the floor, then put the spring on the plastic arm piece and pinch it on with your fingers to hold in place, Now line the petal holes up with the arm holes and slide the retaining pin through ALL THREE PIECES yes its a pain but it can be done took me 5 min's. Then to secure it on press the lock washer back on the retaining pin.

Now for the brake and clutch petals.

Remove the rubber covers, Then place the new petals on and mark the holes with something I used a silver paint pen.

Take the spring loaded center punch and punch the center's of the marked areas.

now you don't have to but I started with a smaller bit first and then went to a bigger bit after to make sure my holes were exact.

Then slide on the petals and pop rivet them on.

Finally the fun part the dead petal.

First pop off the OEM dead petal it comes off easily. Now there are multiple ways of doing this, so you decide if this is for you.

Note that the JDM dead petal and the USDM petal are different shapes this creates a problem because they do not use the same mounting holes, and the JDM petal alone will not mount correctly nor will it cover the areas missing carpet.

So what I did was line up the JDM dead petal over the USDM one and marked the clip areas with a paint pen and also the excess on top and bottom.
Then i used a Dremel with a cutting disk to cut off what i didn't want to show.

If done correctly the JDM dead petal will clip in.

Yes I know the floor is dirty but I wasn't going to clean it just to turn around and get metal shavings on it from the install.

my hand is blocking out some massive glare.

Done now i get to clean it