Engine seems to downshift on it's own.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by guj125
And like the original author, I've driven several ATs before (both v6 and v4), and the problem wasn't nearly as pronounced.

Is this a defect in my car? Has anyone experienced this? Or is the car still adjusting to me?

Don't get me wrong, I really do love my TSX, this the one major hangup I have. Any ideas?
v4 eh?

Solution: Accelerate harder.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by guj125
This thread is up my alley. I just got my 05 a month ago, and I am convinced this car is downshift-happy. At any speed above 30 mph, I find it difficult to keep it from downshifting when I attempt anything more than a granny-like acceleration. And that is on FLAT GROUND.

These downshifts are not smooth and predictable, they're on the jerky side. As a result, I frequently find myself sliding over to SS to hold a gear - something I would rather not do.

And like the original author, I've driven several ATs before (both v6 and v4), and the problem wasn't nearly as pronounced.

Is this a defect in my car? Has anyone experienced this? Or is the car still adjusting to me?

Don't get me wrong, I really do love my TSX, this the one major hangup I have. Any ideas?
i guess it's just something we need to learn to deal with.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK - Allow me to present a little food for thought here. The biggest wildcard here that needs to be addressed I think is the combination of the Drive-by Wire throttle input and the computers' desire to deliver performance and protect the engine. I have found that if I use less hard pedal action v. slamming it and pay more attention to where I'm at in the rev curve/torque to the wheels position I can get a lot of control over acelleration & smooth shifting simply by leraning how to properly use my right foot. I've found that the computers, etc then seem to antipate what I'm trying to do to the point where I seldom use the SS in passing or even when I "get on it." I'm not saying that it was easy to figure this out and that I don't get the ocassional hard shift but they been rarer & rarer and my driving style has become very smooth as compared to when I first got the car.

I figured that the brains back at Honda knew what they were doing and that all things consided if I was to look for the source of the "problem" I would have to admit it was more my ignorance and lack of understanding rather than a "car problem."

My next mod will be the CPU reflash which should allow me a longer & flatter torque curve. This will afford me the desired option of always being able to "catch it" on the up curve with plenty of headroom and up-torque control. Remember guys... it's only a 4-cyl. Any damn fool can drive a 300-to-500 hp 6cly/8cly torque monster. That ain't no fun let alone a challange.

P.S. - The SAAB Sonet had an English made V-4 engine. Nice car.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Pro

Take it in to that pro mechanic who has a drag car and can make a car out of two straws.
I am sure he can do a quick fix-a-roo
Old 05-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Arriving Somewhere...

I guess I'm one of the few that appreciates the downshifts. I live in an area with a lot of steep hills, and I was very hard on my breaks with my last car. I've noticed a big difference with the TSX. I wish there was an option to show the current gear on the display even when you aren't in sport shift mode.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Mockenrue
I guess I'm one of the few that appreciates the downshifts. I live in an area with a lot of steep hills, and I was very hard on my breaks with my last car. I've noticed a big difference with the TSX. I wish there was an option to show the current gear on the display even when you aren't in sport shift mode.
it's not that it isn't useful sometimes, most of the time it is, but sometimes, it's inappropriate, as i didn't want it to downshift.

i think a lot of epople here missed the point of my post originally.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Still Water
OK - Allow me to present a little food for thought here. The biggest wildcard here that needs to be addressed I think is the combination of the Drive-by Wire throttle input and the computers' desire to deliver performance and protect the engine. I have found that if I use less hard pedal action v. slamming it and pay more attention to where I'm at in the rev curve/torque to the wheels position I can get a lot of control over acelleration & smooth shifting simply by leraning how to properly use my right foot. I've found that the computers, etc then seem to antipate what I'm trying to do to the point where I seldom use the SS in passing or even when I "get on it." I'm not saying that it was easy to figure this out and that I don't get the ocassional hard shift but they been rarer & rarer and my driving style has become very smooth as compared to when I first got the car.

I figured that the brains back at Honda knew what they were doing and that all things consided if I was to look for the source of the "problem" I would have to admit it was more my ignorance and lack of understanding rather than a "car problem."

My next mod will be the CPU reflash which should allow me a longer & flatter torque curve. This will afford me the desired option of always being able to "catch it" on the up curve with plenty of headroom and up-torque control. Remember guys... it's only a 4-cyl. Any damn fool can drive a 300-to-500 hp 6cly/8cly torque monster. That ain't no fun let alone a challange.

P.S. - The SAAB Sonet had an English made V-4 engine. Nice car.

how long have you had the car? i've had it since december, i guess though, i just recently started doing country driving, and just noticed it. i'll get a better feel for it after a few more rides.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Pro

I bought it in August '04. I don't put many miles on a car any more as I have no free time to go crusing, etc. I would suggest that if you haven't done so yet, talk to a sr. service tech or someone like JTso who have a better understanding of "how" some of the car's systems work, i.e. the tranny control systems. An example would be how, when applying the brakes you can by modulate the brake pedal and take the load off the front discs and load the rear discs causing the back-end to squat and tuck in under straight line & moderate turning braking. When I last checked the OEM pads before I upgraded the braking system, the rears showed twice the wear than the fronts. As for what I've said about the shift points, I'm only having an ocassional problem with the low rev hesition which I think would be eliminated if I do the cpu reflash.

All in all I think once you become more familuar with the TSX's tendancies and control systems you'll apreciate our little road machine even more. I'm glad every day I drive her that I bought one - rattles, buzzes, etc. notwithstanding.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Still Lovin my 06

I bought it in August '04. I don't put many miles on a car any more as I have no free time to go crusing, etc. I would suggest that if you haven't done so yet, talk to a sr. service tech or someone like JTso who have a better understanding of "how" some of the car's systems work, i.e. the tranny control systems. An example would be how, when applying the brakes you can by modulate the brake pedal and take the load off the front discs and load the rear discs causing the back-end to squat and tuck in under straight line & moderate turning braking. When I last checked the OEM pads before I upgraded the braking system, the rears showed twice the wear than the fronts. As for what I've said about the shift points, I'm only having an ocassional problem with the low rev hesition which I think would be eliminated if I do the cpu reflash.

All in all I think once you become more familuar with the TSX's tendancies and control systems you'll apreciate our little road machine even more. I'm glad every day I drive her that I bought one - rattles, buzzes, etc. notwithstanding.
yeah, i think i'd like to upgrade the breaks, what do you have?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:18 PM
Pro

RacingBrake up front, Powerslot rears, Goodridge SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads & OEM brake fluid. $700.00 +/- for the parts and I had the dealer install it for $450.00 (yes I could have saved some bucks). At this stage of my life I decided to have the dealer do the work & I established good communication channels with the Head Service Guy (better to be friends v. enemies) and also kept the car under their "service history." I've got about 500+ miles on them and after taking a good 300+ miles to seat them in I'm in Brake Heaven. I'm a bit old school - Before I spend $$'s on going faster I want to be able to stop faster.

Good luck on your mods & enjoy!

P.S - RacingBrake nows shows a slot/drilled rear disc.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Still Lovin my 06

RacingBrake up front, Powerslot rears, Goodridge SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads & OEM brake fluid. $700.00 +/- for the parts and I had the dealer install it for $450.00 (yes I could have saved some bucks). At this stage of my life I decided to have the dealer do the work & I established good communication channels with the Head Service Guy (better to be friends v. enemies) and also kept the car under their "service history." I've got about 500+ miles on them and after taking a good 300+ miles to seat them in I'm in Brake Heaven. I'm a bit old school - Before I spend $$'s on going faster I want to be able to stop faster.

Good luck on your mods & enjoy!

P.S - RacingBrake nows shows a slot/drilled rear disc.
i might have to look into these. thanks!
Old 05-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Pro

You're welcome. Have fun!