Old 06-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Is this the end of VTEC?

http://www.e4engineering.com/story.a...d-a7bd9b6a4258
Old 06-29-2004, 11:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not really. This is the logical extension of VTEC.

The old kick-in-the-pants VTEC is outdated.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Maybe in 15 years when these light weight valves have come down in price and have had suffucient testing.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by domn
Maybe in 15 years when these light weight valves have come down in price and have has suffucient testing.
Good point. Electromagnetic valve actuation is very unreliable right now.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Photography Nerd

Something tells me this will be adopted quicker than 15yrs. I bet we'll start seeing it on high end sports cars in 5 or 6 years and trickle down from there.

I'm sure Hondata will be all over this one! There has got to be all kinds of tweakability with electromagnetic lightweight valves. I think this is going to revolutionize engines as we know them. Cam design has always been a compromise. Really a cam is only optimized for one specific RPM. Every other RPM has less than optimal valve timing. VTEC adds a second cam timing for higher RPM range but this system is far superior. I wouldn't be surprised if given two identical engines except one with the new electromagnetic valves you could see upwards of a 10 to 20% gain in HP across the entire RPM range.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Something tells me this will be adopted quicker than 15yrs. I bet we'll start seeing it on high end sports cars in 5 or 6 years and trickle down from there.

I'm sure Hondata will be all over this one! There has got to be all kinds of tweakability with electromagnetic lightweight valves. I think this is going to revolutionize engines as we know them. Cam design has always been a compromise. Really a cam is only optimized for one specific RPM. Every other RPM has less than optimal valve timing. VTEC adds a second cam timing for higher RPM range but this system is far superior. I wouldn't be surprised if given two identical engines except one with the new electromagnetic valves you could see upwards of a 10 to 20% gain in HP across the entire RPM range.
I think you'll see them in the F1 racing circuit first. They have the budgets to push this type of technology and then it'll trickle down to the consumer market. I feel that Honda would be a likely candidate for this type of technology...we'll have to wait and see.

The cams are an archaeic means of valve timing...dating back to the earliest internal combustion engines and pushrods. Overhead valves were an advancement due to their relatively light weight and eliminating the need for the push rods.

Electromagnetically controlled valves will definately revolutionize internal combustion engines for the power necessary to drive the valve train will no longer have to be drawn from the crank thus reducing power,frictional and heat losses.
Additionally the electro controlled valves would be software controlled permitting optimal timing, duration and lift throughout the rev range...which will be awesome !
Old 06-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my VTEC.........you can pry my VTEC from my cold, dead hands!

You damn dirty ape!
Old 06-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i-VTEC on the other hand is lame and not nearly as fun.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by toddstuh
I think you'll see them in the F1 racing circuit first. They have the budgets to push this type of technology and then it'll trickle down to the consumer market. I feel that Honda would be a likely candidate for this type of technology...we'll have to wait and see.

The cams are an archaeic means of valve timing...dating back to the earliest internal combustion engines and pushrods. Overhead valves were an advancement due to their relatively light weight and eliminating the need for the push rods.

Electromagnetically controlled valves will definately revolutionize internal combustion engines for the power necessary to drive the valve train will no longer have to be drawn from the crank thus reducing power,frictional and heat losses.
Additionally the electro controlled valves would be software controlled permitting optimal timing, duration and lift throughout the rev range...which will be awesome !
F1 engines use pneumatic valves currently, given the durability of the current engines at ~19,000 RPM it is unlikely to change.

BMW has been toying with pneumatic valves for production cars and you are likely to see them relatively soon.

Though I agree with your general point the power to run the valves WILL be drawn from the crank with electromagnetic valve trains, it will just have to change state from mechanical to electrical first, but will likely produce less parasitic losses.

Vandy
Old 06-29-2004, 04:04 PM
Stokeless

F1 should be the first to try this out though. Even though pneumatic has been reliable. I think that they will give it a shot. Who isnt looking for more power?
Old 06-29-2004, 04:06 PM
6MT Snob

Originally Posted by Minch00
i-VTEC on the other hand is lame and not nearly as fun.
Please explain.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:21 PM
Photography Nerd

I'm sure one of the biggest hurdles they have to jump is the fact that magnets and heat do not go well together.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I'm sure one of the biggest hurdles they have to jump is the fact that magnets and heat do not go well together.
My guess is this would be a relatively mild obstacle.

If it was a big deal, an intermediate solution employing Ti valves on a classic headtrain would still allow for some economy in consumption, increase in performance (valve float issues being offset to somewhat higher rpms), noise, etc.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stokeless_TSX
F1 should be the first to try this out though. Even though pneumatic has been reliable. I think that they will give it a shot. Who isnt looking for more power?

I actually don't see it happening. First the pneumatic system works extremely well and can produce any valve timing you could with electomagnetic valve trains at the current 19k rpm range, expect this range to stay static OR decrease as F1 rules require engines to last longer and longer. Next the electromagnetic drivetrain would not be as efficient since they would require electricity via either alternator parisitic losses or batteries, either would effect performance more than the current compressed air cylinder which runs the valvetrain for an entire race save a leak (i.e. Kimi @ Indy this year). So bottom line it would likely not produce more power, would be a big risk in terms of reliability and would increase parasitic losses and/or weight. This could all change as magnetics are a growing science but for the near/mid term you are unlikely to see it in F1.

Vandy