Encounter with a TL (long read)...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Encounter with a TL (long read)...

It's around 5:45 pm yesterday, I'm cruising down the avenue on my way home from work, just going with the flow, keeping a normal distance from the cars ahead of me. I'm last in the line of cars, there's nobody close behind me, and the nearest car is maybe a 1/4 mile behind me. We come to a red light and I stop and I watch the car behind me gradually catch up and stop behind me. It's an anthracite TL, Gen 3. Light turns green and after that, TL guy seems to have switched personalities - turned it up a few notches. He seems to be trying everything he can to try to put down this poor little punk in the four-banger carbon grey TSX with the wing and let me know my place. (Funny thing was that I'm probably older than this head case was.) Of course, I can't go any faster or do anything wilder than the traffic in front of me, but TL guy is all over my backside. My windows are open, so I can hear he's working his engine unnecessarily hard, considering the speeds, the straight road we were on and the fairly constant-speed of the flow of the traffic. Sounds like he was using his SS to keep his RPMs high (in case you're wondering, I confirmed later that his penis extension on wheels was an AT, I'll get to that later). We all get to a traffic light that leads to a highway on-ramp up ahead. It's a two lane ramp up ahead: left lane puts you on the westbound highway, right lane puts you on the eastbound highway. The fork where the lanes split, a 1/4 mile down the road, is a concrete barrier with water barrels in front of it. Light turns green and most of the cars in front of me and myself all get into the left lane. TL pulls into the right lane, whizzes by me but can't get in front of me because I'm too close to the car in front of me, so he keeps going and pulls a neck-twisting left in front of that car, cutting that car off while speeding towards the split and the water barrels and getting way closer to them than I ever would even on my wildest days. A-hole. Highway's pretty bogged down w/ rush hour traffic, so he doesn't really get that far ahead and I keep an eye on him. Now with me behind him, he seems to pretty much resume normal driving habits. He gets off at the next exit, which is only about 1/2 mile down. Turns out that's my exit too, and so I get off. I eventually actually end up right behind him, but never getting within 50 feet of his rear end - I'm not in the mood for playing his adolescent game, after all. I can see now for sure that he's pretty much resumed driving like a normal Joe, not tailgating the car in front of him or doing anything especially reckless. He gets to a two-lane traffic light, both lanes are for going straight ahead into two lanes on the other side of the intersection. He gets into the left lane behind a few cars already stopped. I get into the right lane, also behind a few cars, and end up stopping beside him, but slightly behind him, so that his rear wheel is beside my front wheel. At this point I can determine that he is, in fact, an AT by two things - he's creeping forward despite the brake lights being lit, and no Brembo calipers...Tough guy poseur. So the light turns green. The car immediatly in front of him slows down to turn left at the intersection, which means I (who is driving at very normal speeds and demeanor, by the way) end up casually passing him on the right. Now I'm on the other side of the intersection, which is two lanes, in the right lane, and up ahead of me is a bus that's pulling over to the right curb. I signal left to move into the left lane, waiting for a Jetta that's now on my left side to pull forward so that I can get behind it, but in the rearview all I see is a TL zooming up behind me in the left lane to close the gap and then brakes hard right up the Jetta's rear end, nearly forcing me into the backside of the bus. Deedle nick must have been picked on a lot in middle school. Anyways, that was pretty much the end of it, as I took the next right turn and he went straight.

Just thought I'd share the story. Don't get me wrong, TLs are great cars, and I almost bought one myself. And objectively, I'm not going to say if the TL or TSX is better than the other, because they both have great (but clearly different) merits that put them at the tops of their respective target markets, but WTF was this all about?!? I didn't think Acura was the target brand for knuckle dragging, chest thumping, macho men. Big engine, heavy right foot, and disregard for others on the road do not make one into a manly stud - it just makes you look like a 16 year old behind the wheel of a 40 year old's car.

Rant over...
Old 08-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All it takes is money to buy any car. No brains or driving ability required. I try to give drivers like that a wide berth. You played it cool.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:14 PM
Racer

Nice write-up..A-holes are everywhere on the road nowadays. They seem to be more of it when driving a high horsepower car like the TL.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Banned

P.A.R.A.G.R.A.P.H.S ! :shakehead
Old 08-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fuckleberry

YES PLEASE!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
It isn't just TLs....Once I gave a guy in a TSX (the same freaking color as mine) a thumbs up as I passed him and the guy proceeded to race pass me, cut me off, and brake check me all the way down a hill. He must have thought I was being sarcastic.

Sometimes, there's no such thing as team spirit for Honda/Acura's.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuteguy1414
Nice write-up..A-holes are everywhere on the road nowadays. They seem to be more of it when driving a high horsepower car like the TL.

High horse power..HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously to the author of this thread...you go owned.

But even more seriously, paragraphs are your friend.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rugbybrado
High horse power..HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously to the author of this thread...you go owned.

But even more seriously, paragraphs are your friend.
lol
Old 08-24-2006, 06:05 PM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fuckleberry
so, how long have you been teaching high school grammar?

I gave up trying to correct these people long, long ago.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Instructor

Not to hijack the thread.

But ..I can concur about A holes in mid west. My friend and I wen to see the US GP 06, on the way from missouri to indiana, we had a little race old BMW coupe and our rental G6. BMW guy didn't like the fact that he wasn't able to pass the G6. So @ the traffic congestion he PULLS HIS GUN OUT AND AIMS AT US... My first reaction was WTF and next RUN. Thank god we found a state trooper in few miles and parked next to him. Scary thing is ..we catched up the guy in Indiana and he kept looking back @ us..with gangstar look...

Moral of the story, don't race with A holes who try to cut u off...it may cost u ur life.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
holy shit! my parents always warn me about doing something on the road because someone might pull a gun and whadya know!

Whenever i see a TSX I try to be friendly or cruise with them or something. they're probably like "whose the lame guy who thinks we're friends just because we have the same car?"
Old 08-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stewie20068
holy shit! my parents always warn me about doing something on the road because someone might pull a gun and whadya know!

Whenever i see a TSX I try to be friendly or cruise with them or something. they're probably like "whose the lame guy who thinks we're friends just because we have the same car?"
lol
Old 08-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Just dial 1911

No way im reading this shit.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Advanced

Irefusetoreadthat.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:30 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

I was waiting for the punch line

"The TL and I pulled up at the red traffic light with no cars in front of either of us...We raced and I won."
...but that didn't happen
Old 08-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Banned

Man you got some cool nerves. I can't stand people like that. God knows how many people I have forced to exit or "enter" a highway as a result of their stupid and aggressive attitude.

I'm the type of guy who minds his own business until others get into it. Then the tables turn and won't stop until I want them to.

No matter if I had an 88 Civic or an 06 Porsche, I would've chased that f***er down and scared the hell out of him.

this was my first post btw! Longtime reader, first time poster.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Intermediate

When I am driving my TSX I sometimes get the looks from the TL owners like "yeah...you wish you had a TL too huh".

So every time I am in my M3 I sometimes have to humble them a bit

They probably get pissed and say stupid M3 owner. Oh well
Old 08-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Got Phó?

damn i had a hard time reading that.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Ah, finally, the benefits of having thin asian eyes.

That's right you bastards, why don't you squint and pull your eyes down?

Old 08-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by IranBT
No matter if I had an 88 Civic or an 06 Porsche, I would've chased that f***er down and scared the hell out of him.
I hate pointing out the obvious, but that makes you just as bad as the guy you are chasing.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eeyore
I hate pointing out the obvious, but that makes you just as bad as the guy you are chasing.
Unless I get a chance to give that guy a lecture during a one-on-one civil conversation, there's no reason to let him get away with that kind of crap. Especially if he's picking on a particular person. I would understand if someone was in a big rush or was in a very bad mood in general, but picking on people due to whatever(their car, race, gender) is just unacceptable.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Advanced

my eyes hurt after reading that...