Dynamat Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynamat Benefits?

Hi all. I've got a cacophony of rattles coming from inside both of the front doors, so I'm considering removing the panels and going nuts with foam, duck tape, twist ties, voodoo magic, etc.

Also considering using Dynamat, but is there any benefit to use it over just standard foam for rattle-proofing? I don't really have any problems with sound quality. The stuff is pricey but I'm willing to spend the cash if it is worthwhile.

Any advice / experiences with Dynamat / alternatives for rattleproofing appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice volition of words! I want to get dynamat too. To create the ultimate luxury sedan experience by reducing cabin noise.

But i'm wondering if the cabin/road noise is from the OEM Michelins?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Racer

Be careful with the foam. Had a guy on my Dakota site use it behind the rear seats on the sides of the clubcab, where the rear speakers are. He used too much, and by the time it was done curing, you could see ripples in the sheet metal under the rear windows on the outside.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xenonhid
Nice volition of words! I want to get dynamat too. To create the ultimate luxury sedan experience by reducing cabin noise.

But i'm wondering if the cabin/road noise is from the OEM Michelins?
Its not broadband noise that I'm having troubles with, just rattles / buzzes going over bumps (even very gradual elevation changes can trigger it).

The OEM Michelins succumbed to nails. Replaced with Potenza RE960s on all 4 corners.

kennungesser: thanks for the tip. I'll try to keep that in mind. Are you saying that the foam actually had enough stiffness to warp the metal?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:57 PM
The Mac

Here is my experience with dynamat. Not really for the rattles, but does give it the luxury car feel. I especially love the way it sounds when I close my doors.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37759

Page 3 of the post
Old 08-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Racer

Yeah, once you take off the interior panels, there is only a little bit of insulation, then your looking at the back side of the exterior metal. He took out the insulation and filled up the space with the foam, then put the interior panel back on. It warped the metal as hard as it is to believe. He used Great Stuff, and I think that expands to something like 3x. They now make foam that does not expand as much.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Racer

there is this stuff called fatmat i think the sit is fatmat.com its pretty cheap.. friend had it and said it was good but he did like 3 layers... they also give u tools to install it and 100 sq ft for 100 bucks.. not bad
Old 08-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mac
Here is my experience with dynamat. Not really for the rattles, but does give it the luxury car feel. I especially love the way it sounds when I close my doors.

Page 3 of the post
T-Mac, couple questions. You removed that white plastic sheet? I've done my door speakers, so I already had the panels off. Was wondering if that stuff was necessary (or what it was even there for). So it looks as if you took off the white, and put the dynamat on. Correct? Second - did you get the noise reduction you were looking for?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Foam will absorb the sound, dynamat and the like will block it or deaden the vibrations in panels. Be careful with foam inside the door cavity. The door cavity allows rain water to flow through it, thats what the weep holes at the bottom are for. If you put foam inside the door cavity you're opening yourself up to getting mildew growing in there.

My suggestion is to look up the TSB for door rattles and then apply the foam in the locations where the TSB suggests. Also, it wouldn't hurt, while you have the door panel off, to put a layer of dynamat (or cascade Vmax) on the interior of the entire panel. It will make your car quieter (but may not take care of all the rattles).
Old 08-08-2007, 12:11 AM
The Mac

Originally Posted by 1Louder
T-Mac, couple questions. You removed that white plastic sheet? I've done my door speakers, so I already had the panels off. Was wondering if that stuff was necessary (or what it was even there for). So it looks as if you took off the white, and put the dynamat on. Correct? Second - did you get the noise reduction you were looking for?
Yes I removed the white sheet. I think it's there as a moisture barrier between the inside of the door and the panel. It's not really necessary when you cover the entire door with dynamat. As for the noise reduction, yes and no. I got all the noise coming from the door panels, but still get road noise from the tires. I want to eventually dynamat the floors and firewall, but get overwhelmed when thinking about taking everything apart on such a new car. I absolutely love the way the door closes now. The only thing is that it's much heavier. (watch your legs when opening the door on hills). Let me know what you think.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Instructor

instead of dynamat i used sticky tar stickers called peel and seal which is the same as dynamat. i would say it dampens quite well. only about 10 bucks for a roll at lowes.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Intermediate

if you have rattles to begin with, wouldn't additions of any sound-deadening material make the rattles MORE noticeable?

i'd say find those rattles first...
Old 08-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by T-Mac

Page 3 of the post

Your install looks great!!

After seeing your pictures I went ahead and ordered the Overkill
from Second skin too!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Cruisin'

The key benefit to deadening your doors is that bass response improves dramatically. Ideally, you'd want to replace the stock weather shield with dynamat, or even plexiglass and seal over all the large holes in the door. Dynamat in itself mostly reduces the rattles in the door from the bass coming from your speaker. You'd need a good constraining layer such as www.secondskinaudio.com or ensolite over that to block road noise.

Even then, it doesn't drive like a Lexus. You'd want to do the floors and around the wheel wells and perhaps even the firewall. In my experience you don't get much noise reduction from the doors, especially using just asphalt or butyl based deadener.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:17 PM
The Mac

Originally Posted by taz98spin
Your install looks great!!

After seeing your pictures I went ahead and ordered the Overkill
from Second skin too!
Yeah, the overkill is a good product. I should have ordered all of my sound deadening material from them. Did you order the overkill or the overkill pro?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Racer

yea