Driving in 'M'

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008 | 06:24 PM
Mike D from Ohio

Driving in 'M'

Do you people with ATs use the manual mode instead of driving in D? I'm kind of addicted to it. I can't drive in D anymore... it sucks. I'll never drive in D again. Let me ask you a question: is it okay to downshift before slowing down to stop? I know down shifting helps you to stop and takes stress off the brakes, but does it put too much stress on the transmission? It seems to sometimes, especially from 4th to 3rd, so I just do it if I'm already in 3rd or 5th now. That is, I never go from 4th to 3rd or from 2nd to 1st just to help slow down. Does this sound right?
Old 10-01-2008 | 06:32 PM
Team Hybrid

i think as long as dont step on gas in N, then shift to D, it will be ok.
and downshift from 2 to 1 is kind of unnecessary for me, cuz the computer only allows it to do the downshift around 25 mph, which is very low speed that you can just use the brake to slow it down.
Old 10-01-2008 | 07:02 PM
Instructor

The Auto transmission was designed to allow downshifting without harm. Just treat it like a manual transmission.

Actually, the auto transmission is safer that the manual transmission. It will not allow you to downshift if it would over-rev the engine. No such protection with a manual transmission.

I downshift all the time, and sometimes the car says "no thanks" -- because I am going too fast for the next lower gear. About the only time I am concerned about speed is when going from 2nd to 1st. It is common for me to jump from 4th to 2nd as fast as the transmission will allow.

I love the Sport-Shift. It is like having a manual transmission when you want a manual transmission (me) and an automatic transmission when you want an automatic transmission (the wife). It is great in the mountains because it allows you navigate the curves without all the work required operating a clutch. And, the broad RPM range of the TSX engine enhances the value of the Sport-Shift. I can't see myself owning another car without Sport-Shift on the console -- and one that will allow me to peg red-line in first gear -- or, in other words, one that doesn't have an automatic up shift at some predetermined RPM.

The only time that I feel that I am being rough on the car, or the transmission, is when I accidentally hit the fuel shutoff in first or second gear -- I hate it when I do that -- and I think I have done it twice when passing someone going downhill.
Old 10-01-2008 | 08:19 PM
Instructor

I use M whenever I go to pass somebody, that way I can take it up to redline if I want/need to. Theres nothing worse than trying to pass a car in 3rd, and wanting to shift down into 2nd when the car wont let you in Drive. Plus it will do 129 kmh @ 7400 in second so its more than enough to get past a car
Old 10-01-2008 | 08:22 PM
CGP Ebony

Actually, the Sequential Sport Shift on the TSX is probably the smoothest Tranny out there.

I almost got whip lash from riding in my friends 04 BMW 325i and its goofy Tiptronic tranny.
Old 10-01-2008 | 09:09 PM
Instructor

I'm beginning to use mine a lot, especially to slow down. It's much more fun to drive that way, but great to still be able to have auto when you don't want to bother. Only things I don't like about it is when it decides to downshift on its own if it thinks you're going too slow, and 2nd -> 1st is a little rough, and 1st -> 2nd at higher rpms seems to be a little slow.
Old 10-01-2008 | 10:04 PM
CGP Ebony

Originally Posted by intensity2x
Only things I don't like about it is when it decides to downshift on its own if it thinks you're going too slow

Thats actually an Acura feature callled "Grade Logic Control".
Old 10-02-2008 | 12:29 AM
-Nick-

I downshift quite regularly. I never do 2-1 though because it is pretty rough. I just let the car go 2-1 on its own when it feels like it That way it is smoother.

I love downshifting 2-3 times (depends how fast I am going already) to pass people. Lot's of fun
Old 10-02-2008 | 01:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xenonhid
Actually, the Sequential Sport Shift on the TSX is probably the smoothest Tranny out there.
I test drove a MB (c230 if I recall correctly) and the Sport Shift moves left to right (which I found to be really weird) -- rather then front to back. There was also a very annoying delay when shifting; especially when down shifting.

The Sport-Shift in the TSX is smooth and fast, with no delay. The TSX has the best automatic that I have ever driven -- and I have read nothing but good things about the manual transmission. Honda seems to have done a superb job with the TSX transmissions -- given that I have seen no reports of either transmission having abnormal failure rates.
Old 10-02-2008 | 08:24 AM
CL9 ABP

Originally Posted by JimHolloman
I test drove a MB (c230 if I recall correctly) and the Sport Shift moves left to right (which I found to be really weird) -- rather then front to back. There was also a very annoying delay when shifting; especially when down shifting.

The Sport-Shift in the TSX is smooth and fast, with no delay. The TSX has the best automatic that I have ever driven -- and I have read nothing but good things about the manual transmission. Honda seems to have done a superb job with the TSX transmissions -- given that I have seen no reports of either transmission having abnormal failure rates.
My friend hates the sports shift on the Mercedes c230. He said something about you need to go through all the 7 gears to get it out of sports shift unlike ares you knock it left and right to go back.
Old 10-02-2008 | 08:29 AM
where is my garage?!

i used to not like the SS mode, probably b/c of the lag and just not being very familiar with it. but i think i've been able to get more comfortable using it and finding the right shif points and i enjoy it whenever i can. that'll usually be when i'm passing someone, getting onto the highway, for fun, etc...it's pretty handy when you're going uphill too and you need to switch to a lower gear to get moving.
Old 10-02-2008 | 08:55 AM
Racer

your actually not suppose to shift from 2nd gear to 1st gear. Thats the first thing the dealer told me when i bought it. let the car do it itself.

also if your thinking of doing a 1/4 mile what are the perfect RPM's to change at in every gear in sports shift mode? just curious cus i might take my car to the track for fun with some buddies.
Old 10-02-2008 | 11:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tdottsx
...what are the perfect RPM's to change at in every gear in sports shift mode?...
For maximum performance the shift point would be as late as possible, but early enough to ensure that you do not hit the fuel shut off point. The TSX keep pulling right up to the red-line and the VTEC doesn't engage until around 6,000 to 6,200 (I don't recall the actual engagement point -- but it is high). There is one hill in the area where I can get into VTEC, in 2nd gear, and stay in VTEC for a long time (probably at least 20 seconds) with the throttle wide open. The speed, and RPM's, remain fairly constant during that period. On the other hand, when going downhill the VTEC engagement point and the fuel shutoff point seem to be only a few nanoseconds apart. I try not to hit VTEC going downhill, but occasionally I will unconsciously do so when I want to pass someone quickly. And then it just jumps to the fuel shutoff point; barely giving you enough time to get off the throttle.

The 2nd gen engages VTEC much earlier -- I think around 5,000 RPM's; probably to help offset the extra 160 pounds. VTEC does put a little more internal stress on the engine, but not near as much as a turbo charger.
Old 10-02-2008 | 01:20 PM
Racer

what is the fuel shut off point?
Old 10-02-2008 | 04:38 PM
Mike D from Ohio

I saw a c-class in the mall and noticed that side-to-side sportshift. I thought it was weird. So is it still in 'D' when you use the sportshift? It doesn't look like you have the 'H' shaped hole like the tsx making me think that you use the sportshift in 'D,' and that would mean that it would upshift for you. If not, then I don't understand how the c-class sportshift would work. This to me defeats the purpose of the sportshift. I like to wait a little longer to shift so I can get some torque... that's what I use it for.
Old 10-02-2008 | 04:49 PM
Mike D from Ohio

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
My friend hates the sports shift on the Mercedes c230. He said something about you need to go through all the 7 gears to get it out of sports shift unlike ares you knock it left and right to go back.
Mercedes Benz are really nice looking cars, but I'm starting to think that they're stupid now. There's so much technology that doesn't work neatly and becomes the opposite of what the technology was originally intended for. I bet the British guys from Top Gear would really rip on it... kinda like the BMW 5-series. I'm glad I didn't get the 2007 c280 last summer when I was looking for a car. It doesn't even have a sportshift. Honestly, after seeing the infinity G, driving the TSX, seeing my neighbors Mazda 6 with AWD, seeing the new eclipse, and considering our economy, I'm starting the realize Japanese cars are the way to go. In my book, German cars are out.

Last edited by miked8887; 10-02-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: didn't finish
Old 10-02-2008 | 04:59 PM
Mike D from Ohio

Originally Posted by tdottsx
what is the fuel shut off point?
The fuel shut-off point is the redline... the engine stops to prevent you from blowing it. Its a good thing. Do the MT's have it?
Old 10-02-2008 | 06:01 PM
still plays with cars

yup
Old 10-02-2008 | 07:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by miked8887
If not, then I don't understand how the c-class sportshift would work.
I had the same thought. But, once you are in Sport Shift mode, it functions essentially like the TSX except for the Left-Right movement and the delays. My recall is very poor, but it seems that I entered Sport Shift mode simply be pushing the shift level once to the left or right. I don't recall what I did to return to the normal (D)rive mode. Once in Sport Shift mode, your controlled the shift points, except for perhaps an override in 1st to 2nd. It seemed so awkward, and unnatural, that it didn't leave a lasting impression. The lasting impression was "I can't believe this design is in a MB -- and, I sure don't want it. The Sport Shift, and transmission, would have been the deal killer had everything else been acceptable. The lack of power, and torque, off the line would have been another deal killer. I felt that the engine was anemic until some turbo boost took effect -- then it would scoot. The car also had larger tires on the rear than the front. It would corner as well as the TSX, but with a complete different feel. Personally, I like the feel of a FWD because I prefer a call that pulls rather than pushes. For one thing, it FEELS safer. I have had too many RWD cars get sideways with me when I didn't want them to. But, the C Class has ESP (the MB name for VSA) that is suppose to control that as long as it is active. I don't know if ESP can be turned off or not.

I think the more you experience the drive train in other cars, the easier it is to appreciate what the TSX offers; especially the 1st gen with the console shifter. I can't imagine how it could be improved upon -- except for a dealer programmable switch that would allow the + and - to be reversed -- but that would create confusion for some driver's; including employees at the dealerships -- sort of like having some motorcycles with brakes on the left and some motorcycles with the brakes on the right.
Old 10-03-2008 | 09:53 AM
Be Yourself: Be Present

I would rather burn in hell than go without my sport shift!

I use it all the time: on highways, on city streets, when running form the cops...lol

I find downshifting from any gear is a little rough, but 2-1 is probably the most severe. I do it sometimes when I need a REALLY quick jump in speed, like when I'm passing on the right and "oops, there's a car parked in that lane and I didn't see it and I now have 20 feet to pass...good thing I have a VTECed TSX under my foot"

Thx for the info about it being safe...I was actually wondering that myself.
Old 10-03-2008 | 12:36 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Originally Posted by CGP06tsx
I downshift quite regularly. I never do 2-1 though because it is pretty rough. I just let the car go 2-1 on its own when it feels like it That way it is smoother.

I love downshifting 2-3 times (depends how fast I am going already) to pass people. Lot's of fun
Same here. When merging on the freeway behind someone who wants to build up to 55 MPH in time for Christmas, being able to drop to 3rd, or even second, and zig left in front of a rampaging SUV who owns the road ... oh what a feeling. To do this in front of a Merc or Bimmer or VW or other "expensive car" that thinks they can beat me out in 4th gear ... PRICELESS.

I don't usually downshift from 2 -> 1 ... primarily as I don't need the massive acceleration at such low speeds. Also, it scares the #*%& out of my sweetie. So normally I'm letting the AT do the downshifting in SS when I'm coming to a stop. Besides, I don't think engine breaking is all that great an idea UNLESS you need to accelerate again immediately -- that is, you need the responsiveness of max torque. Down-shifting to high RPMs approaching a stoplight seems a needless waste of gas and your transmission.

Only thing that still annoys me about the car (really, about myself), I'll use SS on the freeway, leave it there, and forget about it when I get off. First stop light I start up from, I'm screaming my engine in first because I forgot I'm still in SS. Just wish that instrument indicator was a bit more obvious. But it's my goof, ultimately.

Originally Posted by AZDJedi
... I find downshifting from any gear is a little rough, but 2-1 is probably the most severe. I do it sometimes when I need a REALLY quick jump in speed, like when I'm passing on the right and "oops, there's a car parked in that lane and I didn't see it and I now have 20 feet to pass...good thing I have a VTECed TSX under my foot..."
Boy I'm SO glad you're way up North. Don't want you doing those antics anywhere near me or my offspring.... In most states I've lived, passing on the right is prohibited, pretty much for the reason you illustrated.
Old 10-03-2008 | 12:41 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

The fuel shut-off point is the redline... the engine stops to prevent you from blowing it. Its a good thing. Do the MT's have it?
Fuel cutoff is at 7300rpm if I am not mistaken.
Old 10-03-2008 | 07:12 PM
Mike D from Ohio

The only time I shift from 2 to 1 is if I don't come to a 'complete stop' and am still in 3rd or 2nd and I have to start accelerating again... In this case, the speed is slow enough (5-6 mph) to shift smoothly. You will notice that it doesn't go from 3rd to 1 sometimes if you don't completely stop. Trying to move in 3rd gear at 5 mph feels more like my old toyota corolla (which actually was a really great car... but slow), and I can't accept that.
Old 10-03-2008 | 09:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidspalding
...Down-shifting to high RPMs approaching a stoplight seems a needless waste of gas and your transmission...
I am not sure what you are saying here. Only the throttle position controls fuel flow; RPM's have no direct effect on fuel flow. And, down-shifting is never a waste of the transmission. Once you remove your foot from the throttle, the fuel flow drops to minimum and it remains there; regardless of what gear the transmission is in or what RPM's the engine is turning.
Old 10-04-2008 | 01:18 AM
Racer

If you're lazy and have trouble down shifting just move it back to D. Then when you're ready to go again pop it back into M.
Old 10-04-2008 | 01:06 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Same here. When merging on the freeway behind someone who wants to build up to 55 MPH in time for Christmas, being able to drop to 3rd, or even second, and zig left in front of a rampaging SUV who owns the road ... oh what a feeling. To do this in front of a Merc or Bimmer or VW or other "expensive car" that thinks they can beat me out in 4th gear ... PRICELESS.
Same here - I'm using it more and more on the highway for this purpose. I also am using more going up long hills (long = miles long). I don't like the car shifting into a higher gear and lagging a bit - I like to force the car into a higher RPM range. I use D in town though - there's no thrill in shifting stoplight to stoplight.
Old 10-04-2008 | 06:19 PM
Mike D from Ohio

Although I love the sportshift, here's the part I don't like. It has to do with habit. After getting used to driving in M, my hand automatically and habitually pushes the shifter up after taking off as to shift to 2nd. So once, while I was driving in D, I was so used to just pushing the shifter upward that I shifted to N while going about 15 mph... and I've never heard my engine rev as loud as that. Be careful, you can put serious stress on the engine. It can also surprise and disorient you for a second while pulling out into traffic... not the place for disorientation. There should be an optional mode that disallows you from shifting to N while driving.
Old 10-04-2008 | 07:09 PM

I am not sure what you are saying here. Only the throttle position controls fuel flow; RPM's have no direct effect on fuel flow. And, down-shifting is never a waste of the transmission. Once you remove your foot from the throttle, the fuel flow drops to minimum and it remains there; regardless of what gear the transmission is in or what RPM's the engine is turning.
I think my perspective is out-dated ... learned in an MGB and Jeep, not applicable to the TSX.
Originally Posted by losothefatso
If you're lazy and have trouble down shifting just move it back to D. Then when you're ready to go again pop it back into M.
I like how the SS mode will downshift as needed when I decelerate to a stoplight, so it's not laziness in my case. Though it's like learning a whole new way of driving stick.
Although I love the sportshift, here's the part I don't like. It has to do with habit. After getting used to driving in M, my hand automatically and habitually pushes the shifter up after taking off as to shift to 2nd. So once, while I was driving in D, I was so used to just pushing the shifter upward that I shifted to N while going about 15 mph... and I've never heard my engine rev as loud as that. Be careful, you can put serious stress on the engine. It can also surprise and disorient you for a second while pulling out into traffic... not the place for disorientation. There should be an optional mode that disallows you from shifting to N while driving.
Did this once ... that cured me. It helped that a peace officer was nearby, and I was bracing myself for the flashing blues and a humble, red-faced explanation.
Old 10-05-2008 | 02:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Red@8
Fuel cutoff is at 7300rpm if I am not mistaken.
that sounds about right.

i usually don't do it but i was really late going somewhere today so i put in 'M' and drove like a mad man. kids don't do it! anyway. 1st shot up so stinkin' fast past 6500rpm, before i knew it the needle went past 7000rpm. the car lurched right at around 7300 and it seemed like the i dropped to 1st gear or something. of course, i instantly took my foot off the gas and upshifted but nonetheless, i'm glad the car covered my stupidity. i've never rev'd it that far up and i don't plan on doing it again.

btw, 'M' mode FTW!
Old 10-06-2008 | 09:04 AM

I did that after I'd bought it, on an empty RTP road on the weekend. My impression is that vTec kicks in so high, that the RPM just sped up to redline and I hit the engine limiter very easily. For that alone, I'd like to get the Hondata reflash.
Old 10-06-2008 | 01:08 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

There is one hill in the area where I can get into VTEC, in 2nd gear, and stay in VTEC for a long time (probably at least 20 seconds) with the throttle wide open. The speed, and RPM's, remain fairly constant during that period.
how do you stay wide open throttle for 20 seconds?
Old 10-06-2008 | 04:11 PM

A: ... Very aggressively.

Also helps not to think about gas prices or shortages, I imagine.
Old 10-06-2008 | 04:23 PM
Racer

I did that after I'd bought it, on an empty RTP road on the weekend. My impression is that vTec kicks in so high, that the RPM just sped up to redline and I hit the engine limiter very easily. For that alone, I'd like to get the Hondata reflash.
amen!
Old 10-06-2008 | 06:20 PM
Be Yourself: Be Present

This may sound elemetery...

Why does a car have gears at all? If fuel consumption is triggerd by my foot and not the RPM's, why not just have a car that's always in first?

The new Altima has this, but I don't know much about the causes or effects.
Old 10-06-2008 | 08:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AZDJedi
..why not just have a car that's always in first?

The new Altima has this, but I don't know much about the causes or effects...
The new Altima has what?

The primary purpose of gears is to match the RPM band of the engine to the speed range of the vehicle. While some cars that had high torque were produced with only two gears, it is a very inefficient arrangement. For those cars without much torque, the engine would be overloaded and would stall. It would be like driving the auto TSX in 4th gear at all times -- a little slow on pickup when the light turned green, I would say.

Gears allow for faster acceleration, and higher maximum speeds, than can be obtained with a straight drive. They improve efficiency and gas mileage. With only one, or two gears, the speed range of the vehicle is limited by the torque, and RPM range, of the engine.

For those not aware, the top speed in the auto TSX is obtained in 4th gear, rather than 5th gear. The 4th gear better matches the power band of the engine to the wind drag placed on the vehicle. The 5th gear is an overdrive and does not produce the torque (to the front wheels) needed for maximum speed. But, it is more efficient, and improves gas mileage, at cruise speed on most highways.

In the 1950's-1960's, two and three speed automatic transmissions were common. Today, no respectable manufacturer provides less than 5 speeds, and I believe some of the new luxury models have 7 gears. But, it seems overkill to me to have 300 HP, with 300 ft-lbs of torque, and more than 5 speeds -- unless you need to go faster than 140 MPH. The F1 cars generally have 6 speeds, with a couple of them having 7 gears.
Old 10-06-2008 | 08:24 PM
Instructor

Also, for those new to the TSX, the gear ratios for the automatic are a little lower than for the manual (some might say the gearing is higher) -- and, as a consequence, gets a little better gas mileage (about 1 MPH) when driven in the "D' mode.
Old 10-06-2008 | 09:41 PM
Instructor

I agree that "M" mode is much better, especially for passing. It's fun to rev it down from 5th to third when you are stuck in between two cars and you want to squeeze in between and do the pass. I love passed big pickups and SUV's who think they are driving a sports sedan. I think some are driving the wrong car. I also think that some just look at the TSX as another Accord and don't realize that it's a bit more sporty and handles better. I normally don't downshift from 2-1 when approaching a light but I have gone down to 3rd from higher gears when approaching but the tap of the breaks is the best way to get it to automatically downshift for you. Also, has anyone else notices that after you start out in "M" and are in 5th you seem to not have as much power as you do when in "D" when in 5th? You then shift the card from "M" to "D" and you can feel the power difference when you hit the accelerator. Overall, I don't feel that you need a manual transmission if you have this type of shifter. I was driving my girlfriends Accord this weekend on a mini trip and was looking for the "M" mode a few times on the highway and it wasn't available. Yes, it becomes habit forming cause it's fun to use.
Old 10-06-2008 | 10:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by centflatsx
...Also, has anyone else notices that after you start out in "M" and are in 5th you seem to not have as much power as you do when in "D" when in 5th? You then shift the card from "M" to "D" and you can feel the power difference when you hit the accelerator...
Does the 'D' mode show the gear that it is in? If not, then you may be going from 5th in 'M' to 4th in 'D' -- when you change over.
Old 10-06-2008 | 10:44 PM
Mike D from Ohio

Originally Posted by centflatsx
I agree that "M" mode is much better, especially for passing. It's fun to rev it down from 5th to third when you are stuck in between two cars and you want to squeeze in between and do the pass. I love passed big pickups and SUV's who think they are driving a sports sedan. I think some are driving the wrong car. I also think that some just look at the TSX as another Accord and don't realize that it's a bit more sporty and handles better. I normally don't downshift from 2-1 when approaching a light but I have gone down to 3rd from higher gears when approaching but the tap of the breaks is the best way to get it to automatically downshift for you. Also, has anyone else notices that after you start out in "M" and are in 5th you seem to not have as much power as you do when in "D" when in 5th? You then shift the card from "M" to "D" and you can feel the power difference when you hit the accelerator. Overall, I don't feel that you need a manual transmission if you have this type of shifter. I was driving my girlfriends Accord this weekend on a mini trip and was looking for the "M" mode a few times on the highway and it wasn't available. Yes, it becomes habit forming cause it's fun to use.
The AT will downshift for you when stopping when you reach the speed that its programmed to downshift at. If you downshift yourself, you have to do it before you slow to that speed. So downsifting yourself to slow down means you are downshifting at a higher speed than the AT is programmed to shift at.

Has the following ever happened to anybody: the AT downshifts by itself a split-second before you go to downshift. So it shifts, then you shift a second later, and you end up 2 gears lower instead of just one. I never did it, but I hope I don't since a double-downshift could be stressful on the transmission. I would imagine that it wouldn't let you anyway.

Also, maybe you don't get the gear-5 power in M because when you're in D, the AT downshifts automatically when you stomp the accelerator. In M you have to downshift to 4th yourself... then you'll get that power.
Old 10-06-2008 | 11:20 PM
Instructor

The "D" mode doesn't show you what gear you are in. It's just like any regular automatic transmission in "D" mode. It's possible that the computer automatically puts you down a gear when changing on the fly say when you are doing 50mph+ and make the change from "D" to "M". You can feel the power difference when hitting the gas pedal. The car does it's best when you go into third after you have been higher and then you want to pass. 1st and 2nd can be a bit rough and too revvy without much actual speed.

Quick Reply: Driving in 'M'