Driver Side Moding Broken!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005 | 09:07 PM
HOWARD911S

Driver Side Moding Broken!!!!

04 tsx.. driver side moding.. the black long stripe on top of car that extend from top of car toward bottom of the wind shield wiper.. the part where it crossed over the top of wind shield got loose...had a big gap... Took to dealer to check it out..1st time. they tried to put a replacement part on.. didnt work. wont fit well
2nd time! they called a glass install guy to the dealer to install another replacement part.. even worse! they say the CLIP is BROKEN! and the worst is! they said the CLIP was spray painted blue (my car is blue) by some must be after market shop and put onto body with 2 sided tape

therefore. my car must have been fixed somewhere else or been in accident. said acura wont cover that..and have to go to body shop to fix it..cause its to the point where they can not fix it at dealer. my freaking god... i bought the car brand new. never been in any accident..but no matter how i explain, they wont take it and said ameriacn honda wont fix it under warranty... need some advise

1)is service record uniform across dealer? can i take to another dealer in LA area and have them look.. but it wont pop up that i was refused by another dealer?

2)The moding leaves a noticeable gap.. well noticeable to me. which dealer said may eventually lift the moding off if i drive too fast and enough wind get under the moding.. (both end of the moding and other clips are fastened no problem) is he BSing me or is it real possibility?....

3) anyone know how much body shop might charge to drill some hold and put a moding back on?...

GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY OPINION!
Old 06-19-2005 | 05:36 AM
Über Geek

Do you mean "molding"?
Old 06-19-2005 | 12:06 PM
HOWARD911S

yes.. sorry.. so pissed. cant spell.haha! any opinion?
Old 06-24-2005 | 12:54 AM
Instructor

Funny that you bring up this problem...I had something similar happen after I had my windshield replaced.

I got a stone chip in my windshield back in mid-December which in early January spread out into a crack and - as a result - I had to have my windshield replaced. About 2 weeks after the work was done, I took my car to wash it & the windshield leaked! I took it back to the dealer and to fix it, all the body shop did was jam more silicone under the molding on the top of the windshield. Well, it did seal however when the silicone expanded, it bubbled up and lifted the top molding.

As I was getting set to take it in to get the silicone trimmed down, a buddy of mine (who owns an RSX Type-S) was glancing at my car and noticed that the molding that runs down the passenger side of the windshield from the hood to the rear window looked like it was lifting away from the windshield (you could actually see the windshield clips) and there was quite a gap.

So, I took the car in to get some other work done (they were repainting my hood as a "customer service move") and asked them to fix the windshield. Well, when I went to pick up the car after the hood painting they still hadn't fixed the windshield. I drove back over to the bodyshop with the service manager and was told that it would be an easy fix (all they had to do was glue the trim back into the clips) and it would take 15 minutes. After sitting in the body shop for an hour, the shop manager told me that I would have to bring the car back at a later date as they couldn't do the work as quickly as they thought they could. I went outside to look at it and it was actually worse than it was when it went in to them an hour earlier.

I drove back over to the dealership to show their "handywork" to the service manager. He looked at it and noticed that they had gummed it up with glue so badly that the clips on the trim wouldn't fit into the slots on the clips anymore. He ended up ordering new clips, new trip and a new windshield (just in case).

I brought the car back to them about a week later and ended up having to leave it with them for just over a week so they could get it right. I guess the body shop techs tried to just replace the moulding but it ended up looking like crap. The service manager actually had to take the techs over to a new TSX on the lot and say, "see this new one? I want it to look just like that!". Long story short (WAY too late), they ended up just entirely replacing the windshield altogether - which, by the way, was what I had suggested to them in the first place.

The dealership ended up paying for an oil change/tire rotation service for me & did a full detailing of my car to apologize for all the hassles. However, I now notice that the trim inside of the car on the passenger side next to the windshield that is labeled "Side Curtain Airbag" has come a little loose and is starting to rattle. Hopefully they'll be able to fix this properly without me having to bring the car in 4 times.

By the way, if you're still reading, tell the dealer shop that the clips are supposed to be blue and they are mounted with 2 sided tape...I know this from experience!