Doors (this is the end... )

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 02:31 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doors (this is the end... )

One minor topic to bring up, and one major one.
Minor: Okay, so we've heard how much effort honda has put into making the TSX's doors slam with a 'solid sounding' thud. We know that there were tireless hours spent designing a system that works towards creating a heavy, loud, sturdy sound. I applaud Honda for doing this- after closing the door on my brother's integra for years, the TSX doors sound amazing. BUT when I was over at my buddies house and we were washing his A4, I listened to the sound his doors make- you have to try it for yourself, honestly, it sounds like a tank. The doors feel superheavy, and close with a wonderful thud- sounds much more stable than the TSX... I guess honda still has work to do.

That's a minor issue, imo.

However, what follows is not. I HATE the locks on the doors front doors. They are horribly positioned, and more importantly, THEY DONT GO INTO THE DOORS WHEN LOCKED! The A4 doesnt have any locks at all, perfect for open window driving- and even the Jetta, which has the locks, when it is locked they recess into the door to create a 'ouch-free' smooth surface to rest your arm on.

Even if the door lock had to be up for some saftey reason or another, couldnt honda design the lock to be further to the rear of the door or right up front? Every time I have the window down, I prick my arm on the door lock- and it hurts!

I know those honda engineers were working hard to get that 0.27 wind resistance rating (which realistically, IMO no one really cares about) but they should have spent more time making sure the car was comfortable to drive.

So, my list of complaints about the TSX after 4 months of driving is as follows:

Door Locks are ill-positioned.
Steering wheel buttons are not illuminated.
Rattling sound when high base in the front passenger door.
Enhanced CD's do not load automatically.

Sigh. But dont get me wrong. I still love the car to pieces.

J.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:55 AM
More On

Hey, bowersan! Nice post as always (even if it's critical of our beloved TSX).

Agree completely and intensely about the door locks. This was talked about at the old place a few weeks ago, and I think everyone agreed with what you say. (OK, OK, watch SaraWI tell us that a couple of people said they like them! * ) People were desperately asking what other people do about it. One dude said he was thinking of having his left arm amputated, and I asked if he thought we could get a two-fer. I'm almost used to it now, and it's not awful -- but it sure is a mistake.

Agree also about the steering wheel controls; don't understand why they're not backlit.

And don't forget about "grinding seat adjustment," and "killer doors."

* j/k, Sara! We love it!
Old 07-09-2003, 04:41 AM
Cruisin'

I listened to the sound his doors make- you have to try it for yourself, honestly, it sounds like a tank.
Well, ummm, have you ever heard a tank hatch close? They slam! and not a very pretty sound either, but I know what you meant....
Old 07-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Intermediate

Re: Doors (this is the end... )

Originally posted by bowersan

I know those honda engineers were working hard to get that 0.27 wind resistance rating (which realistically, IMO no one really cares about) J.
Not for me, the 0,27Cd makes that car virtually wind noise free at any speed.

ld
Old 07-09-2003, 09:08 AM
wiz
Pro

yeah, even my 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix had backlit steering wheel controls, dunno why a more expensive Acura car does not have this feature.

As for the door locks, I do wish they were flush in the door. It almost makes me want to cut it off so it will be flush and put a little rubber stopper on the top of it so it won't cram into my arm. I have actually gotten pretty good about it so that I don't jam it into my arm everytime I want to put it up there.

As far as the rattling in the passenger door, I am going to go and take the car back to the dealership and have them look at that. It is rather annoying and is something I want them to fix as it shouldn't rattle like it does.

So what is an enhanced CD anyway? Everything I have put in the changer has worked flawlessly thus far...althoug the majority of them have been CD-R's and some older CD's...no new CD's.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:18 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
My list of complaints is similar to bowersan's

-Door locks are ill-positioned
-Sterring wheel buttons are not illuminated (Although I never have trouble using them in the dark)
- Grinding power Driver's seat (This one really irks me, they lubed the tracks and its better, but it should be grind free)
- Slight grind in driver's window, which temporaraly turned into loud squel)

The last two problems are simply unacceptable for a car like this IMO. I understand its a first model year car and I honestly prepared myself for things like this but they should be fixed no matter what. We'll put Acura service to the test in the next little while.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Advanced

I also agree about the door locks. Can't you twist those door locks off? Maybe if we make a big enough ruckuss about it, some aftermarket company will make replacement knobs that WILL be flush to the surface when locked... but I'm just hoping.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Instructor

I agree with you 100%. This is one of my biggest gripes about the car too. I came from a Jetta that sat flush and it was terrific. I feel like just cutting them down or something. One day I'll open up my door panel to see if there's a way to get them to sit flush like the Jetta. Another thing they could've done was put the locks next to the inside door handles; like the IS300. I also with they locked on their own like VW's too.

In addition to the front door locks, has anyone noticed how Acura positioned the rear locks? I find it so strange!

Backlit steering wheel buttons are definately missed from my Jetta too. Along with this, I miss the rear window sunshade.

Luckily, I don't have any rattles but did notice yesterday that my driver seat may be having the same symptoms as others....not grinding per sey, but more like shaking when moving the seat forward or backward. I'm going to grease the rails myself.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Racer

the door lock position has yet to bother me... i guess i'm lucky. however, almost all the cars i've been in, the lock sticks out a bit (not flush with the window sill). i think its actually better that way... this way if you want to unlock only one door, you can do so by pulling up on the lock. however, if it was flush against the window sill, to open one door, you have to use the power lock key to open all the doors. i think that's overkill... but this is all IMO.

agreed on the backlit steering wheel buttons... even tho i've yet to fumble for the buttons.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Cruisin'

here is my fix to the driver's door lock poking me in the arm:
removed it. It does not cause any vibration or anything, just leaves a "hole".

but man is it more comfortable!

as for the backlit steering controls, I think Provench pointed this out at that other site a few months ago: their are different bars or dots on each button to help identify them. I do not have to look at them anymore and can operate by feel. thanks for pointing that out!
Old 07-09-2003, 10:03 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by T.O. HondaFan
I think Provench pointed this out at that other site a few months ago: their are different bars or dots on each button to help identify them. I do not have to look at them anymore and can operate by feel. thanks for pointing that out!
You mean like Braille?:P

I've always had issues with the placement of the door locks in all cars. Why is it that in the rear seats, they're towards the front, but in the front seats, they're towards the rear? IMO, it should be towards the front in both front and rear seats.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Cruisin'

not quite braille. but a line on one button and 3 dots on the other (one each side)
Old 07-09-2003, 10:29 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by phile
I've always had issues with the placement of the door locks in all cars. Why is it that in the rear seats, they're towards the front, but in the front seats, they're towards the rear? IMO, it should be towards the front in both front and rear seats.
Could that be an artifact of non-power locks? They're in a position that's easiest to reach from the driver's seat and/or from the rear?

I liked the ones in my (1994) Camry better.. probably just like the IS300, right next to the interior door handle, not sticking out of the door at all. You can just barely see it in this image: IS300 interior
Old 07-09-2003, 11:06 AM
More On

The Count has entered the building!!!!!

Welcome back Count.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:00 PM
Über Geek

No experience with the locks yet -- still waiting for my presssscciousssss.

Probably won't be an issue since it's so flooping hot here in SoFla you can only open the windows two months out of the year.

Originally posted by T.O. HondaFan
here is my fix: removed it.
Fan: when you removed it, did it just unscrew? Can you show us a pic?

I wonder if it unscrews and is a normal shape, maybe we can cut the BASE down a bit. Then when it's reattached, it sits lower in the hole -- and flush.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:59 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by larchmont
The Count has entered the building!!!!!

Welcome back Count.
Thanks, blah!

Glad to find our new home.

BTW... I clicked the link to this site, and found I'd registered nearly a year ago. It remembered my screenname/password and I was already logged in. Did it copy the registration data over from acura-cl.com?
Old 07-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

All im going to say is the locks are plain dumb. Bad design, someone in Japan should have figured that one out a long time ago, ie before production.
As for the steering wheel controls.... Its just plain stupidity. Okay, braille, i like the bumps... but still. Illuminate them anyways. It doesnt detract from driving, its SO easy to do, and even my friend who drives a jetta laughs at me that I dont have it. (Granted, my friend with his A4 doesnt even have steering wheel buttons...)

I hope Acura reads these posts.... i'm only trying to help!

J.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Bound for Europe

As for the stereo controls, I've got them memorised and have no trouble choosing between the 3 buttons. As for the other side, I don't use the cruise control anyway. Hell, I've only had my climate control on about 3 times.

The locks are a bitch though. My left arm is all marked up
I think I might take the Dremel saw to them.

I haven't heard my seat grind yet so I'm going to check that out right now.

The rattling in the passenger door sucks the BIG ONE. I'm a bass player so when I hear it rattle the whole moment is ruined
I think the bass from this stereo is a bit boomy at the best of times. I think a new pair of 6x9s would tighten things up.

Still lovin this ride:P
Old 07-10-2003, 12:24 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Alright, this just blows monkey brains.

I was listening to my music as I was speeding away from work, at volume setting 30 (out of 40) (which, btw, is loud as shit) and my back right speaker makes some insane distortion sound... like it cant handle my music. I mean come ON! 75% volume and not even full base, and a speaker makes a PFFFTT rRRRR noise? WTF?

Im going to Acura in 2 days.

J.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:17 AM
wiz
Pro

I think I am eventually going to replace all of the speakers in my TSX. Probably a few at a time starting with the 6x9's in the back. I mean they don't sound bad, but if you get some nice 2-way's or 3-ways in there you know it's going to sound better and cleaner.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:58 PM
More On

Originally posted by captainjack
.....Fan: when you removed it, did it just unscrew?.....I wonder if it unscrews and is a normal shape, maybe we can cut the BASE down a bit. Then when it's reattached, it sits lower in the hole -- and flush.
Well, here's MY answer anyway:

You can just unscrew it, like a screw. With your bare hand, turn it counterclockwise a few turns, and it's out. Then, if you want to, you can put it in the "Not an Ashtray" -- and you've solved TWO problems!

Even after you take it out, though, the "bleb" enclosure is still there, and this in itself is uncomfortable -- but it's a big improvement.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

to solve the stupid door lock knob problem check out this thread
http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/sh...threadid=77711
Old 07-11-2003, 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by iNteGraz92
to solve the stupid door lock knob problem check out this thread
http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/sh...threadid=77711
For anyone that hasn't read the whole thread. This b168ag dude sounds alot like MoReace.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Bound for Europe

Originally posted by bowersan
Alright, this just blows monkey brains.

I was listening to my music as I was speeding away from work, at volume setting 30 (out of 40) (which, btw, is loud as shit) and my back right speaker makes some insane distortion sound... like it cant handle my music. I mean come ON! 75% volume and not even full base, and a speaker makes a PFFFTT rRRRR noise? WTF?

Im going to Acura in 2 days.

J.
BOLLOCKS!!!
There is almost nothing worse, except for an engine exploding. The first time I heard the passenger door buzz, I wanted to punch it.
Distortion like you experienced would kill me. The first song right after a hard day's work is the best.
I think I'll stay away from 30. The highest I've gone is 26
Old 07-11-2003, 07:37 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Hindsight > 20/20
Old 07-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Originally posted by Soze75
BOLLOCKS!!!
There is almost nothing worse, except for an engine exploding. The first time I heard the passenger door buzz, I wanted to punch it.
Distortion like you experienced would kill me. The first song right after a hard day's work is the best.
I think I'll stay away from 30. The highest I've gone is 26
Went to Acura, they told me it would take an hour to check the system out and figure out if it actually is blown... (which, OBVIOUSLY it is) and then if the parts are in stock, a day to fix it...
However, if the parts arent in stock- 4 to 6 weeks...

F-ing crap. I cringe everytime I hear the sound.. its almost as bad as someone scratching the outside paint.... UGGH!

J.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A good fix for rattling is "dynomat". It's a rubberlike material that the shops that install sound systems use to dampen materials to prevent them from resonating. For instance... ever hear some dude next to you with huge subs in his trunk but then you also hear a ton of rattle from his trunk also? That's because he didn't have the "dynomat extreme, trunk kit". If he had that, it typically solves most vibration problems. I have the dynomat in my 4runner now in all 4 doors and the trunk door, not only does it make my audio system sound a ton cleaner, it also makes the door closing sound, feel like a tank. It really does. Just buy one of those dynomat extreme door kits and do the entire inside of your door. Trust me! your doors WILL sound solid, it WILL most likely solve your vibration problem, and your sound system WILL sound a LOT cleaner!

let me know if you have anymore questions.
thanks
Old 09-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
IF you guys start hearing distortion (like a staticky sound) when you turn your volume up, it's not the handling power of speakers that cause the blow. Now... with a typical sound system... you have the signal (head unit), the amps (which turn DC to AC), and then to the speakers. Lets say your system is rated at 4 channels of 50 watts. When you turn your system up, and the amp outputs close to 50 watts the amp is at it's capacity. When an amplifier is at it's capacity it will no longer be able to convert the DC to AC the way it should, and it will start outputting DC into the speakers. DC IS VERY BAD FOR SPEAKERS! DC is what typically blows speakers. Not the speakers themselves. You could have speakers that can handle up to 250watts each, but once the DC on the amp starts coming out, it will definately blow the speaker if it gets pumped into the speaker long enough. Going to the dealer and having them replace the speakers will not do anything. You will just blow the speaker again. The best way to go about this is to maybe try and buy an aftermarket amplifier and install that into your system. Then pair that off with a set of aftermarket speakers. It will not only be night and day difference in the sound quality, but you will no longer have the problems of the speakers just blowing out on you. I did TONS Of research on my 4runner before i put my heard earned money into my system for my 4runner. Let me know if you have any questions and i will be glad to answer all that i can.

thanks
Aaron
Old 09-10-2003, 03:06 AM
Still here

The TSX is not the only Acura to have the ill positioned door locks, I find the RSX has the same problem. Both of my SX's will be getting the door locks trimed to flush very soon.