Donated my lights to Umnitza for modification

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 01:12 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Donated my lights to Umnitza for modification

Well after corresponding with them a few months ago by email, then breaking things off because of other financial commitments/investments, I decided to send my donor set of TSX lights to them to work on.

I picked up a set on Ebay for about $140 in perfect condition. Just a little dirt needed to be wiped off the outer housing, but the lens and parts were flawless. Ive had them sitting in the living room for the past 5 months.

So after contacting Umnitza.com and initiating talks again on this set, I sent them off today. I'll keep you guys updated on correspondence and development pics they give me.

So far they believe they can use 2 halo angel eyes per light. That would be low and high beam rings. They can smoke the corner lens which I think will look awesome on my CG. Turn around time is 2 weeks.

They will recieve them next tuesday by UPS ground, and Im looking forward to the progress pics they send back. I'll post them here as recieved
Old 09-08-2005, 01:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Not a hater, but I think these are going the way of Altezza taillights. These scream ricer in SoCal.

Of course, when you post pics, I'll probably be the first one drooling....as Humpty-hump once said- dowhutchalike....
Old 09-08-2005, 01:49 AM
Racer

The difference between this such mod and altezza lights is they arent sold in a prefab deisgn where someone can go to any import shop or ebay and buy a pair of lights such as these. Yes for a civic, eclipse, nissan, or accord.

I think was seperates these from any Altezza is they are pre-manufactured. These will be custom made, rare and exclusive for a while, until Umitza decides to put them into production for the TSX and TL.

Some people think rice, and I can accept that. I think theyre kinda cool and definitely different from every other TSX I see which is my point of doing the mod.

That is the reason for all my mods, to set myself apart from the crowd. Nothing too extravagant and rice, just subtle details that make a difference. I hate when someone approaches me in any of my cars and say "I know so and so and they have a car just like yours". All my cars have been modded like crazy and practically have thier own 5 page resumes. Sometimes Im just tempted to hand one to the next idiot who says they have a car just like one of mine and ask them how much they spent on each identical custom mod.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:28 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
I seen the angle eyes from the other Tsx fourm!! I think they are sick1!!~ I don't think its riced out at all!!~ I love them long as they don't look like ghetto civic, cord, and etc. If they are done correctly, I think they can look real nice and not riced out!!~
BTW, how much are you paying them to do it? better post some pic!!~
Old 09-08-2005, 02:34 AM
Racer

Yep, how much are you paying is the big question. Also, when you take pictures, hopefully you'll have them with parking lights and low beams.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:15 AM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not normally big into the aesthetic stuff but angel eyes are cool as hell. I'd get some, if they were done well. Looking forward to the pics.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Racer

Since this is thier prototype set we agreed that I would just pay for parts and shipping. Any labor will be free. Right now Im not allowed to say how much Im paying, because we arent sure yet or at an agreed price. The most is going to be $150.

I just sent them the lights to see what they can do and to give them a prototype set to work with so they know what they can expect. We'll see how thier product looks from there.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Umnitza is a great company, with quality products and good customer service. I bought a set of halos for my 3 series from them. This I assume will be the same concept, its pretty cool how trends come over from other regions. Halos have always been a bmw thing and now it seems like its catching on with the japanese cars.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Jewdacris!!

This is awesome, glad to hear the ball is rolling, keep us/me informed, very interested in this.

I think the angel eye/smoke lens look will be hot, especially on a dark colored car.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Not a hater, but I think these are going the way of Altezza taillights. These scream ricer in SoCal.

Of course, when you post pics, I'll probably be the first one drooling....as Humpty-hump once said- dowhutchalike....
I skim when I read and I though you said Humpty-Dumpty. I was think...Humpty-Dumpty said that?
Old 09-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

what the hell is umnitzza?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Instructor

thanks for sending your lights in. I emailed them and they asked me the same thing a while back (to send a set in to prototype), but I never got around to it. THis is for sure my next mod if it turns out good.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Missin my TSX =(

well im normally from the other forum and i would like to share... my custom angel eyes , blacked housing and smoked corners....

please share ur pix when they are dun as i want to see the professional product
Old 09-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Racer

Here are the results from Umnitza. Their official website is www.umnitza.com

They used the "ThinLine" series. "Smoked" the corner lights. Currently working out the final price, and should hopefully have them in my hands next week.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Racer

Im inpressed by the bright white color. I thknk they would look better if spaced closer together like chyllintsx's version. Being spaced apart seems a little awkward. Maybe they'll look different on the car itself. I was worried about the corner lenses being "smoked" but from the pics they emailed me, Im digging them now.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Racer

Can't wait to see these on your car when you get them back. What color TSX do you have? They're looking good so far. I looked on umnitza's site and they look great on other cars. The pontiac and scion shots looks real good.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:25 AM
STi'd

it looks good...very clean.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Missin my TSX =(

hey man, that looks pretty nice..... very clean n pro... do u no what they used for lighting? and are they full rings for the angel eyes? and what did they use for the smoking of the corner lense?
Thanks... looks good bro
Old 09-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Racer

My car is a CG. One of the rings is from thier Pontiac GTO kit, the other is from a BMW kit. Basically they dont have anything specifically for the TSX, so theyre just using the various rings they have in stock for the best fit. They are full rings.

Im not sure what lighting element they use, but it has a 20,000 hour life span, its super bright, requires a transformer, and they claim it is brighter than OEM BMW halos, or LED based halos, and less complicated and fragile than fiber optics.

For smoking the corner lenses the used paint. I was concerned about a tinting film in case of cracking, peeling, fading. So we went with paint. From what they explained it is a smoke paint, that will still allow the corner light to be semi transparent when lit.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:48 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
that looks great! i want that...
Old 09-28-2005, 10:51 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
do the rings wrap all the way around, its hard to tell from the pics..
Old 09-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Pink as a pistol

That looks real nice...
Old 09-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Professional Newbie

looks cool, but i dont really understand

these are just for appearance, right? you dont actually use these by themselves for any light?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Pro

Looks really good, Let us know the second you can get them, I've been wiating for angel eyes for a while.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by arch
I thknk they would look better if spaced closer together like chyllintsx's version. Being spaced apart seems a little awkward.
Angel eyes should not be spaced out so far. Looks much better closer together.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Instructor

not bad...when can we buy.....are they making more>?>/?
Old 09-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

I like them

Where can we get them?
Old 09-28-2005, 03:14 PM

The website as soon as it's developed.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Drives With Hands

I'm impressed. Pending final results, price and what not, I'll get a set myself.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Jewdacris!!

Those look really nice. Love to know how much a set costs!!

Cant wait to see em on the car.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They look great...although, the big thing I'm interested in is the smoked diffuser.

In those pics, it is just the standard headlights on, or are the high beams on also?
Old 09-28-2005, 04:41 PM
My Love & My Life

those are nice.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Racer

The rings go all the way around each light. No gaps or dark spots. The photos were shot from an angle, so they look like they arent a complete circle around the high beam. I'll ask them to email more pics at a lower angle.

These are appearance only, not intended for light output purposes or night time driving. Although I do plan to hook them up to come on with the parking light switch and drive with them on at dusk when I get them. The pics only show the halos on, no headlight or highbeams on. Halos only.

Im sure they'll update the website when these go into production and become available. You can also email them to generate interest. I'll contact them to let them know other members are interested. As of now they are available to anyone willing to send in their headlights. They say its a 2 week turn around, but plan for 3-4 weeks with shipping both ways.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:13 AM
Racer

Think we could organize a queue system like the one JTso did with the throttle body? As in, however many people in on it split the cost of a spare set of headlamps, then one at a time send in their headlights once they get the modified ones so there's essentially no down time. I don't know how I'd get to work without a car for a week, nevermind 4.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:59 AM
Racer

I dont see any problem with what theElio proposed. Its just a matter of getting it organized with the vendor and participants. Granted the participants exchange the lights in a timely manner and not put them off for a weekend or better weather, it could work smoothly.

After I install these I will still have my original stock lights. These modified ones were bought off ebay, which I reccomend doing for now.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:00 AM
Drives With Hands

Yeah, I'd be buying a spare set of lights. But if somebody else wants to organize a round-robin swap plan, I'll participate.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Missin my TSX =(

haha yea... and also, having the ring on the projector... kinda makes it pointless when u have it on IMO, but all angel eyes are like that haha

so arch, how will u turn them on? are they giving u a seperate swtich? or they hooking it up with the corner lamps or something??

are they goin to sell them like they would got any other car a whole? , they just doing you a favor or do we have to ship them our headlights?

thanx
Old 09-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by theElio
Think we could organize a queue system like the one JTso did with the throttle body? As in, however many people in on it split the cost of a spare set of headlamps, then one at a time send in their headlights once they get the modified ones so there's essentially no down time. I don't know how I'd get to work without a car for a week, nevermind 4.
i have a set of spare headlight, but they have no projectors. ... would that work in any way?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:50 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

I will join if someone could do a round robin for the light. I could start looking one in Ebay but I am kind of short of cash :P
Old 10-09-2005, 10:16 PM
Racer

Ok here is a brief update. I got the lights back and had a chance to install them but ran into some problems along the way.

1) First problem was unpacking them. They filled a box with foam peanuts and packed the lights in there, without covering them up. (when I shipped the lights to them I completely wrapped them in clear celophane food wrap). When I unpacked them there were foam peanuts in the housing and lens, as well as broken foam particles inside. This took a few fustrating hours of vigorous shaking to get them out, then finally some compressed air for the remaining static charged pieces.

2) Inspecting them carefully myself I realized that these are actually round cold cathode tubes. I also found that the stock high beam circle is not completely round at the top, and so neither could the transplanted ring be completely round. The small ring added around the HID lens is also not completely illuminated all the way around, there is some dead space at the end of each ring tube for electrical connection. So unlike what I was told and stated before they are not completely illuminated fully round. I will try to post more revealing pics of this later from another angle.

3) The new rings required a transformer per headlight. I decided to tap the stock corner light wires to turn on the new halos. Unfortunately I discovered there wasnt enough voltage in the stock wires to power the transformer to illuminate the rings. All this after carefully tapping the stock wires, running and taping extra loom for a completely stock appearance. Just to experiment I ran the transformer off a 7.2 volt Makita drill battery and only got partial ring illumination. The smaller HID ring lit up very dim, while the large high beam ring flickered. It need more juice.

I think the transformers need to be connected to a closer and more direct power source. The battery makes the most sense since it is right there, but integrating them to switch on with the corner lights as planned will take some figuring out. Im also going to connect them to a 13.2V power inverter to see if I get complete ring illumination.

4) I bought the lights off Ebay without the HID bulb, or any bulbs for that matter. I transferred the ballast and other bulbs before the HID and realized the Torx screw required. After removing the bumper and all the preparations, I figured I would go ahead and install the new assemblies and figure out the transformer voltage issue at a later time. However because I didnt have access to a Torx set, I reassembled the car with the original lights in there instead.

All together I spend about 2.5 hours to disassemble the bumper and remove one headlight and do the wiring. So I figure this is about a 3 hour project for both lights for someone else who has never taken the bumper off before. I think next time I can do both, disassemble and reassemble in under 2 hours with more proficiency since I know how to remove the bumper now.

Give me a night to test the transformer voltage. Then some time to figure out a switch. I'll buy the torx set during the week and maybe tackle this again next weekend. Pics will be up soon from different angles.

Quick Reply: Donated my lights to Umnitza for modification