Does your steering feel lighter? Turn-in not as responsive as it once was?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 08:36 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does your steering feel lighter? Turn-in not as responsive as it once was?

When I first got my car, the turn-in response was pretty good, certainly not as good as my RSX was, but it was still good. Now, the steering feels really light, and i can turn the wheel about 45 degrees in either direction and the wheels don't really seem to turn as much as they used to.

anyone else have this diminishing steering response? that, combined with what seems to be softer suspension and the annoying clutch pedal creaking, is making me miss my RSX even more. i'm even thinking about going back to an RSX and ditching the navigation system that i love so much.

i rarely use the backseats.....people probably sit in them twice a month, tops. am i alone in this thinking?
Old 06-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When was the last time you checked your tire presure?
Old 06-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by frescagod
When I first got my car, the turn-in response was pretty good, certainly not as good as my RSX was, but it was still good. Now, the steering feels really light, and i can turn the wheel about 45 degrees in either direction and the wheels don't really seem to turn as much as they used to.

anyone else have this diminishing steering response? that, combined with what seems to be softer suspension and the annoying clutch pedal creaking, is making me miss my RSX even more. i'm even thinking about going back to an RSX and ditching the navigation system that i love so much.

i rarely use the backseats.....people probably sit in them twice a month, tops. am i alone in this thinking?
get the a-spec suspension if you want to give your car some better turn-in and flat cornering or RSB. can't help you on the steering however, I'd say its probably something to do w/ your tires
Old 07-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Because Of You

Summer time makes your tires very hot. So, the wheel will be very light.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The added heat from the summer will effectively raise your tire pressures which can result in lighter steering feel. You can offset this by running tires pressures about 1-2 psi lower. Otherwise, at least some of it is just you getting used to the steering feel of the car. I find that if I don't drive the car for a week, I find that I feel like the steering is tighter, but once I've been behind the wheel for a while, I feel the steering is lighter than I remember.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Racer

1) are you still running your OEM Michelin tires? Or did you switch to a different tire?

2) Is your tire pressure set correctly to OEM spec?

3) Is your alignment OK?

Adding a bit of toe out to the front will increase turn in and steering response. Zero'ing the rear toe will help the car rotate more in turns.

You can try doing this at your next alignment:

Front Total Toe: 1/8" or roughly .3 degrees(.15 Left Front /.15 Right Front) toe OUT
Rear Total Toe: 0
Old 07-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm at 35k and I've noticed the same thing. However I think it's because my tires are too worn. I'm getting some new ones this week and I'm hoping that will solve the problem.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:10 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

hmm, i'm seriously considering going back to an RSX or something else that's 2-door.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
hmm, i'm seriously considering going back to an RSX or something else that's 2-door.
If you didn't need the four doors in the first place, I don't understand why you would pick the TSX?
Old 07-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

why didn't you answer anyone's questions in the thread? sounds like you just want to have an RSX no matter what
Old 07-03-2006, 08:13 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by AamirCWITR
1) are you still running your OEM Michelin tires? Or did you switch to a different tire?

2) Is your tire pressure set correctly to OEM spec?

3) Is your alignment OK?

Adding a bit of toe out to the front will increase turn in and steering response. Zero'ing the rear toe will help the car rotate more in turns.

You can try doing this at your next alignment:

Front Total Toe: 1/8" or roughly .3 degrees(.15 Left Front /.15 Right Front) toe OUT
Rear Total Toe: 0
1) yup, OEM tires.

2) yup, just checked today

3) i'd assume so, it being re-aligned about 2 months ago (got a flat)

i guess the person who said the things about summer and heat and whatever might be right, so i'll just stick with that as the logical explanation.

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
If you didn't need the four doors in the first place, I don't understand why you would pick the TSX?
i don't know, part of it was that my friends would whine about my coupe, so i'm like, well, since i'm in the market for a car again (i did not trade in my old RSX for this; i sold it b/c i was moving to NYC) the TSX looks niiiiice. so i did it. don't get me wrong, the backseat is fine, and everything is nicer.....except the driving part. i guess that's the tradeoff.

this is probably just stemming from the fact that my clutch is making that horrible creaking/clicking now, on 95% of shifts. loud and hollow sounding creak, yuck! it practically resonates throughout the cabin when i'm shifting. so when i go back to the dealer and they either (a) grease up the linkage or (b) replace the clutch master cylinder or whatever, they'll (1) dirty up my front seats AGAIN, (2) wash my car when i tell them not to AGAIN, and (3) probably not even fix the problem.

i'm kind of sick of bringing my (now) 8 month car in to the dealer every 5 weeks.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:19 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
The added heat from the summer will effectively raise your tire pressures which can result in lighter steering feel. You can offset this by running tires pressures about 1-2 psi lower. Otherwise, at least some of it is just you getting used to the steering feel of the car. I find that if I don't drive the car for a week, I find that I feel like the steering is tighter, but once I've been behind the wheel for a while, I feel the steering is lighter than I remember.
yeah, i think i've noticed it as the heat has come in in the past month (90-95 regularly). i don't really want to mess with the tire pressure, though. i was just saying that about the steering because when i took delivery of the car, i had them replace the steering wheel because it had some cosmetic blemishes on it, but when they did the realignment, the steering wheel was really loose and had a lot of straight-line play to it. i took it back, and another technician there said "i tighened everything up" and it was really, really responsive for about 3 months. really, noticeably more responsive. it's kind of back to where it was before, now. i'm not whining, just wondering, is this a characteristic of any car? steering gets softer until next alignment or something? didn't happen with my '95 altima, '91 nissan NX, nor '04 RSX.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Got Milk???

Odd, I'm at 37k miles and all I feel is steering getting heavier and heavier. I lubed the ball joints and everything last week, it felt slightly lighter, but still heavier than before... Maybe I'm just growing older and weaker by the day

KC
Old 08-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Yeah mines becoming like this too, even after 6 months of owning my car. But, it could also just be my imagination. Go figure =]
Old 08-17-2006, 12:06 AM
Driver/Detailer

I'd check tire pressures and tighten the endlinks.

It also could be from you getting used to the sharp handling of the TSX. I remember when I first got mine, I was overwhelmed by the G when cornering. Now it feels like any other car.