Does climate control use gas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
For roughly $57 per annum I'd prefer to refuel 1/2 as often even though I pass plenty of gas stations. At 5 minutes+ per fill-up & 100+ fill-ups per year (conservatively), I value my time more than the savings.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
I don't believe that you can model air resistance by a simple equation like that. The equations of fluid dynamics are actually a set of coupled partial differential equations and are extremely complex to solve. The relevant equations are called the Navier-Stokes equations.

And secondly, at least with the Accord V6, I've noticed that the A/C off doesn't do all that much. I made a same-day trip to Calgary (297.1km from the Esso in St. Albert to the first gas station I saw in Calgary) there and back. The ambient temperature in the later morning was 11°C, so I drove with the A/C off, CC set to 22°C and used 19.4L of gas (filling up at a Petro Canada in Calgary), netting me 6.53L/100km. I had reset my trip meter and filled up at the Esso as I was leaving (resetting it at the gas station). Highway 2 is uninterrupted, so there's not too many traffic lights to screw things up except near the gas stations (and that's negligable). I was traveling in 6th gear on cruise control at exactly (as close as I could get to) 100km/h in the slow lane since the speed limit is 110 and going slower saves gas.

On the way back, since I'd driven around the city, I stopped at the Petro Canada again, reset my trip meter and filled up to full. Then, it was 24°C outside, so I used the climate control on AUTO set at 22°C. I traveled in 6th gear at 100km/h and then filled up at the Esso again when I got back. I somehow traveled an extra 0.2km, I don't know how. So I got 7.23L/100km according to my calculations since the pump told me I used 21.5L of gas.

So there we have it. I think the extra $2 I spent on a 3 hour trip was freakin worth it for my comfort. I could have had the A/C off and allegedly saved $2.02, but so what? And don't forget, the A/C needs to go on sometimes to lubricate the parts.
Equations get us in the ballpark and then its testing to see what additional items need to be covered. Computers also play a big role in crunching the long involved values. That equation for air resistance is legitimate. It takes into account the density of air, the coefficient of drag - .29 for a Tl among other things. You are right, that equation does not address cross winds, etc among other things. The Fluid Dynamics equations address the wind characteristics a bit finer, turbulent versus laminar, etc. Better answers take longer, thus the more involved equations. But if you need a quick and dirty answer, equations like the ones stated will do.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:27 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STEELTOWN
No, I never argue, I try to enlighten. Having a friendly conversation with AcuraZines finest help get through a long day. So, my last attempt to enlighten my electrical engineer friend (hopefully he has paid more attention in Circuits than Physics):
I'm a programmer, not an electrical engineer. Never took circuits, and you've yet to actually (correctly) call my physics wrong...

The original point of my post was the term negligible can not be used unless you know the answer. [...] So working 50 weeks out of the year, I will spend (@$3.10 gallon gas) an extra $57.00. That is low ball because we didn't work in accerlerating that weight over the course of my commute/year. So I guess there are a few people here who have better things to do with $57.00 than to toss it out the window, we can't all be money making Electrical Engineers.[/QUOTE]
Okay, let's be conservative and call it $100 a year. That's what I call negligible. I spend more than $100 a year on, well, everything I spend money on. I spend more than $100 a year on M&Ms. That's negligible.

Unless you have invented a new science, the energy loss carrying 100 lbs over 10 miles and accelerating it will not be gained back coasting into any stop light or sign at even 1000 feet.
No, I haven't invented new science. It's simple: if you accelerate a mass to a velocity, that energy can overcome the losses of air drag and tire rolling resistance just as burning more gas can do the same. Therefore if you accelerate more mass to the same speed, you can let off the gas earlier when you want to come to a stop and the energy that you put into the extra mass will then be "recovered" by not requiring you to burn more gas to slow down (on an electric car, you can actually recover the energy more directly by using it to charge your battery). It's really simple; are you sure you know how to do anything more than copy random formulae out of the physics book that must be sitting near you?

I don't recall ever stating which losses were the greatest, I have only made a point of going over losses you say are negligible. So how about taking a poll and find out if people think $57.00 is a neglible amount that can be saved relatively easy, by unloading the trunk.
$57 a year for a year's worth of filling up your gas tank every 400 miles rather than much more often. That's where the 100 lbs (weight of 17 gallons of gasoline) came from, too. Of course it's an overestimate since on average I only have half a tank of gas and this is assuming I have to pay the price of carrying around a full tank all the time.

I hardly think that is a sacrifice. [...] Unload the trunk
So should we take out our spare tires, or only the magical hundreds of pounds of useless crap that we're somehow stupid enough to be leaving in there for no reason at all?

drive with half a tank of gas instead of filling it up each time (unless you live in the Amazon and don't pass eight gas stations during your commute, you shouldn't have to go out of your way to find a Petrol station).
Filling gas as often as I do is already a pain in the ass. Who in the world would do it twice as often for $4.75 a month? (Still not sound negligble to you?)

So I am finished with this post, your P.Diddy money is obviously greater than mine, so I am headed out to unload my trunk...
Why did you have so much crap in your trunk to begin with? You could have been saving pennies a day! Hell, that's almost as much as I find lying in the sidewalk when walking around downtown!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by STEELTOWN
Equations get us in the ballpark and then its testing to see what additional items need to be covered. Computers also play a big role in crunching the long involved values. That equation for air resistance is legitimate. It takes into account the density of air, the coefficient of drag - .29 for a Tl among other things. You are right, that equation does not address cross winds, etc among other things. The Fluid Dynamics equations address the wind characteristics a bit finer, turbulent versus laminar, etc. Better answers take longer, thus the more involved equations. But if you need a quick and dirty answer, equations like the ones stated will do.
When possible a controlled experiment will do even better, like the one I did. Modeling only gets you so far. And by the way, the solutions to the NS equations require DAYS on a supercomputer to get a few solutions (there are infinitely many confined to a finite space...I think they trace out a strange attractor).
Old 06-08-2006, 08:33 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

I don't believe that you can model air resistance by a simple equation like that. The equations of fluid dynamics are actually a set of coupled partial differential equations and are extremely complex to solve. The relevant equations are called the Navier-Stokes equations.
But at typical highway speeds, in practice, air resistance on cars is well dominated by the quadratic term. A cubic term starts to become significant over about 80mph. These two rules of thumb do not of course apply to an arbitrarily shaped object flying through the atmosphere, but all cars basically look alike.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Pro

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Still Water
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
I'll buy into this.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:33 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

I think he has a point though about the obese part. Someone who's obese should lose weight to get better fuel economy. I mean look at Texas...about 2/3 of people there are overweight or obese IIRC. Imagine how much gas North Americans would save as a total if those of us that were fat lost weight.
That doesn't just go for obese people. Remember muscle weighs more than fat, so people like those shown in your avatar are carrying around a bunch of needless weight too!

If you really want to talk about pushing/pulling around of bunch of needless weight, you need to start with all the people that have SUVs without ever really using all that room.