Do you use Premium or Regular Gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005 | 04:54 PM
6th Gear

ever since i got my car, ive been using premium ... although the gas prices suck, i dont wanna risk messing up my car
Old 04-24-2005 | 05:58 PM
TSX

I only use premium in mine. 93 all da way!
Old 04-24-2005 | 07:06 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by Mega
I ran my car on 93 for a few weeks, and am now on my 4th tank of 89. So far my gas mileage is exactly the same (if not slightly better) with 89 in it. Considering there are lots of other factors besides octane, I certainly can't draw a solid conclusion... but what I can draw from this is... for my car, the way I drive it, it makes no difference. I can't tell any difference in the way it handles either.
I guess now I'm really confused, now this isn't the differenc between 87 and 93 this is 89-93 which is like $.09 less then the $.16

Odds are some 89 could actually be closer to 90/91 and some 93 could actually be closer to 91. So it could stand to reason you'd see no difference but at this point. It's like saying I'm not cheap I pay for a bit more octane but that last $.08 per gallon is just too much. So instead of paying $3 more per fill up you're only wiling to pay $1.50. I don't think running on 89 would ever hurt a TSX, but I didn't pay the money for the TSX to get 190hp vs. the full 200hp.

Gas is still so cheap compared to everything else on the daily budget I'm not going to complain about the price of 93 octane. Especially in a car that get's 27-30mpg. And takes a huge sum of 15 gal. per fill up, on avg.
Old 04-24-2005 | 08:43 PM
|____\\===(/\)===//____|

I could justify 93 octane if I could witness or even read about a tangible benefit other than people subjectivly saing their car "feels" better or they "think they might" get better mileage.

I am 200% with you. I once owned a Honda Prelude and filled it up with regular until I found out a year later that it needed 91. After a few months of "better gas" I could still not tell the difference.

Waiting on some proof.

J-F
Old 04-24-2005 | 11:28 PM
dP-
Instructor

Originally Posted by JeffTSX
Sunoco 91 octane for daily
Sunoco 94 octane for track
Since 94 is only 0.01 more, why not go for that in daily commute? I was pondering if I should keep getting 94 or if 91 is sufficient. From a purely fuel efficiency, would it help? I don't drive the car hard (since I'm still breaking in) but don't forsee myself boucing off the rev limiter very often in my daily drive.
Old 04-25-2005 | 12:32 AM
Life's a beach

I'm new to this forum (don't have a TSX yet -- still waiting for a dealer to get me one in the trim I want). I asked the same question recently; here's that thread (maybe so Jim doesn't have to totally repeat himself here : http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...407#post408407

Also, FWIW, the dealer handed me a booklet type of brochure on the TSX that has all of the specs in the back. From the brochure:
---------------------------------------------
Recommended Fuel: Premium unleaded 91 octane*

* (in small type at the bottom): Gasoline with an octane number lower than 91 may be used, with reduced performance.
---------------------------------------------
Old 04-25-2005 | 01:24 PM
'05 TSX SSM/EB/AT/Nav

Winterwaves, thanks for the link. Jim’s explanation did sound pretty good, and I believe it to be true. However, his example of getting 5 MPG more out of premium was hypothetical, he said so himself. I personally have run several consecutive tanks of 93 octant, followed by 4 consecutive tanks of 89 octane (actually on my 4th now, but it’s almost fill-up time and the Navi says I’m averaging 28.4 MPG). My average MPG was actually slightly better with 89 (excluding my long trips of all highway). I know there are way too many factors to draw any conclusions from this, but one conclusion I feel fairly certain about is that with my driving style and road conditions Premium is not worth the extra money in regards to fule economy, and there is no perceivable performance difference.

I have a trip coming up in a couple of weeks, and I plan to see how 89 compares on all highway. If it’s favorable, I’ll stick with it, and if not, I’ll try 93 for highway driving.

I’m glad to see the manual even condones lower octane gas. That should squelch the guys that say I’m ruining my car.
Old 04-25-2005 | 01:45 PM
Missing my Acura's

Originally Posted by Wolfpack_TSX_22
My baby has only and forever will, taste the sweet nector of premium.

Plus in reality, whats a couple of dollars more and fill up for peace of mind that your not jacking up your car.
Old 04-25-2005 | 02:37 PM
Quattro in.....

You ideally want to be buying gasoline with the minimum required octane rating for your car. To find out what gasoline you should use in your car, the first place to look is in the owner's manual. Fill a tank with gasoline rated at the listed minimum recommended octane rating. When the engine is completely warmed up, accelerate briskly from rest. If you notice a pinging, or knocking, sound under acceleration, then you should probably switch to a higher-octane gasoline. The pinging sound is that of pre-ignition (uncontrolled combustion), which can do lasting damage on your engine.

Many modern engines incorporate knock sensors and the ability to automatically adjust engine timing to incorporate gasoline with lower octane than would required for full performance. In such cars, if there is a noticeable performance difference with higher-octane gasoline, use the more expensive stuff.
Link to source: http://www.thecarconnection.com/Shop...172.A1008.html
Old 04-25-2005 | 02:54 PM
04 remembrance

Originally Posted by drunkenbuda
Don't buy a TSX if you're not going to take good care of it....Give it wut it needs...Got Premium?
87 or even 89 octane will not do harm to the TSX.

It'll of course decrease performance, but it's not taking "bad" care of the car.
Old 04-25-2005 | 02:55 PM
04 remembrance

Winterwaves, thanks for the link. Jim’s explanation did sound pretty good, and I believe it to be true. However, his example of getting 5 MPG more out of premium was hypothetical, he said so himself. I personally have run several consecutive tanks of 93 octant, followed by 4 consecutive tanks of 89 octane (actually on my 4th now, but it’s almost fill-up time and the Navi says I’m averaging 28.4 MPG). My average MPG was actually slightly better with 89 (excluding my long trips of all highway). I know there are way too many factors to draw any conclusions from this, but one conclusion I feel fairly certain about is that with my driving style and road conditions Premium is not worth the extra money in regards to fule economy, and there is no perceivable performance difference.

I have a trip coming up in a couple of weeks, and I plan to see how 89 compares on all highway. If it’s favorable, I’ll stick with it, and if not, I’ll try 93 for highway driving.

I’m glad to see the manual even condones lower octane gas. That should squelch the guys that say I’m ruining my car.
Experiments are always fun. Keep it up
Old 04-25-2005 | 02:59 PM
Team Owner

Premium since I usually only fill up about once or twice a month so not that much money for me.
Old 04-25-2005 | 03:03 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by rlominski
Hi all,

Looking thorugh my manual it states the the TSX (05 model) requires gas with 91 octane (I think it is 90 or 91), anway, the only way to get that octane around me is with premium gas (much more expensive).

The dealer says that regular (86 octane ) is just fine, but when the manual states it in multiple places I take is seriously.

What does everybody else buy?

Rob

Premium Only! No booty fuel for my baby!
Old 04-25-2005 | 03:13 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Premium... and I'm surprised more people don't when you do the math and realize that it's not all that much extra you are spending.
Old 04-25-2005 | 03:55 PM
Intermediate

primo only..............nutn but the best.
Old 04-25-2005 | 06:10 PM
Subie Tech

Originally Posted by dP-
Since 94 is only 0.01 more
Hmm...today I pumped at 84.4. Octane 91 was 95.3 and Ultra 94 was 96.7.
Old 04-25-2005 | 06:42 PM
Life's a beach

My initial question (in that other thread) regarding fuel was pretty much asking for factual data, or at least anecdotal experiences. I guess, then, that my question here would still be the same: Are all the guys that are saying "Hell yeah, no booty fuel, only the sweet sweet nectar of primo for my baby forever and ever Amen," etc. etc., are saying this out of love for their cars and the need to "pamper" them or get the absolute top performance out of them, rather than having anything to do with whether or not the car will get along just fine with no chance of damage to the car even if it doesn't get the top premium fuel?

I understand the mindset of wanting to get the best performance and going with the best fuel because, well, it's the best. But do you absolutely have to have nothing but Filet Mignon when a good hearty Porterhouse might satisfy just as well? With no, er, indigestion later? (um, just continuing my metaphors here...) :p

And can all the guys that are implying that you're playing with fire if you "experiment" with say, 89 octane instead of 91 or 93, provide any instances or factual data that would indicate that there is a real danger involved in doing this?

I'll probably go with premium anyway, once I get my TSX -- it's not that much more for me, even though I'm in California where the gas prices are ludicrous. But, just askin'.
Old 04-26-2005 | 10:57 AM
Overlord

While on this subject, another thing I see people do is think of money as in percentage rather than literal dollars. In other words, saving $800 off a car doesn't seem like a big deal, but saving $800 on a television would be huge. To me $800 is $800, so what does it matter if you're saving it off a big or small purchase? It's still savings. So that translates all the way down to saving 10 cents per gallon. It adds up. Period.
Couldn't have put it better. I'd say this though - get your gasoline from a good outlet. Use Quiktrip, Philips 66, Conoco, or one of the other top-tier outlets (are there any others yet?) and you won't be sorry. Fill up at Racetrac or Wal-mart, and you might regret it even if you use premium.
Old 04-26-2005 | 03:33 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by Winterwaves
My initial question (in that other thread) regarding fuel was pretty much asking for factual data, or at least anecdotal experiences. I guess, then, that my question here would still be the same: Are all the guys that are saying "Hell yeah, no booty fuel, only the sweet sweet nectar of primo for my baby forever and ever Amen," etc. etc., are saying this out of love for their cars and the need to "pamper" them or get the absolute top performance out of them, rather than having anything to do with whether or not the car will get along just fine with no chance of damage to the car even if it doesn't get the top premium fuel?

And can all the guys that are implying that you're playing with fire if you "experiment" with say, 89 octane instead of 91 or 93, provide any instances or factual data that would indicate that there is a real danger involved in doing this?

It's been said before... "The higher the octane, the more controlled the combustion will be, and the lower the octane, the less controlled the combustion will be." Most modern engine (including TSX's) is fitted with a knock sensor and will adjust timing (retarding it, I believe) to work with lower octane gas than what the engine is designed to run optimally with.

That means the TSX engine would not be damaged by using lower octance gas because of having knock sensor and timing adjustment (unless knock sensor fails to detect knocks!?). However, as a direct result of retarding timing, engine output will be less than optimal.

So those are the facts about minimal octance requirement. It is sufficient to use gas that meets the minimal octance requirement for the particular engine, any higher octance does not give extra performance. Higher octance does not equal higher power, but it is a measured combustion characteristic that engines are designed to work with optimally.

What I don't get is why would anyone get a car like the TSX (i.e. a pretty nicely equipped and decent-power NON-beater car) and would not run it with gas meeting the octance requirement! It's like getting a mid-to-high end home theatre sound system but hook it up with $10/pair computer speakers?!?!
Old 04-26-2005 | 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

91 octane for my baby. I bought the TSX knowing that 91 is required for optimal performance. Besides if $2.50-$3.00 is alot of $ for some people you should think about riding a bike or moving close to work. Five years from now we will dream of these days of cheap oil products.
Old 04-26-2005 | 07:12 PM
dP-
Instructor

Originally Posted by JeffTSX
Hmm...today I pumped at 84.4. Octane 91 was 95.3 and Ultra 94 was 96.7.
My bad. The price differential I saw at my local station was 1.1 cents versus the 1.4 you found.

Other reason I like getting 94 is that some stations have a dedicated 94 pump, instead of the blender pump with all grades. With the blenders, if the last person got 87, you wil be pumping that for the first couple of liters (tank to pump distance) before you hit the higher grade according to a gas station attendant I talked to.
Old 04-26-2005 | 07:15 PM
Cruisin'

I intend to fill up on 91 octane all the time for my TSX. I would only refill with lower octane if 91 was unavailable.
Old 04-26-2005 | 08:47 PM
Life's a beach

Cool

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP

It's been said before... "The higher the octane, the more controlled the combustion will be, and the lower the octane, the less controlled the combustion will be." Most modern engine (including TSX's) is fitted with a knock sensor and will adjust timing (retarding it, I believe) to work with lower octane gas than what the engine is designed to run optimally with.

That means the TSX engine would not be damaged by using lower octance gas because of having knock sensor and timing adjustment (unless knock sensor fails to detect knocks!?). However, as a direct result of retarding timing, engine output will be less than optimal.

So those are the facts about minimal octance requirement. It is sufficient to use gas that meets the minimal octance requirement for the particular engine, any higher octance does not give extra performance. Higher octance does not equal higher power, but it is a measured combustion characteristic that engines are designed to work with optimally.
OK, thanks, that is what I surmised from the quote in the brochure and from what people were quoting from the manual. You don't absolutely need premium. And you're not going to mess up your car if you use something lower, despite what a lot of others here were posting about it being risky to "experiment" and even possibly "make the engine explode," as one person said in a previous thread. That stuff is not true. You put premium in your car because you want the performance, you just want to baby your car, the engine is rated for the fuel and you're just following the manufacturer's recommendation, and/or you don't want the knock sensor to have to kick in and compensate. But there is really no risk otherwise, despite what others have alluded here.

What I don't get is why would anyone get a car like the TSX (i.e. a pretty nicely equipped and decent-power NON-beater car) and would not run it with gas meeting the octance requirement! It's like getting a mid-to-high end home theatre sound system but hook it up with $10/pair computer speakers?!?!
Easy. I love, love the look and the features of the TSX. It has everything I want. Great reliability, great looks, great comfort, great mpg, lots of automatic features, navigation system, minimal blind spots, lots of trunk space, and back seats that are actually comfortable if I want to seat four. And, I can afford it.

Now, I am not one to "push" a car (not push a car , "push" a car in terms of performance). I am not a performance freak. Yes, maybe if I am planning a trip on the open road, or taking a trip up to the mountains, then sure, I'll put 91 in it. But otherwise I just drive normally and do not need any special performance requirements over say, a regular Honda or Toyota. If we're talking about really pushing its performance, it's pretty darn hard to even do that on the crowded California freeways where I am. So on a day-to-day basis, I don't really require any special, extra performance out of the car. I just want mainly a TSX for all of the other (very valid) reasons.
Old 04-26-2005 | 09:46 PM
|____\\===(/\)===//____|

Originally Posted by Winterwaves
Easy. I love, love the look and the features of the TSX. It has everything I want. Great reliability, great looks, great comfort, great mpg, lots of automatic features, navigation system, minimal blind spots, lots of trunk space, and back seats that are actually comfortable if I want to seat four. And, I can afford it.
- Like the looks of the car, would be better with coils + BBS's though
- Decent torque, The I-VTEC helps the curve stay flat
- Good handling, coilovers would help along with thicker sway bars
- Great features, I could not ask for anything more in a car in that department
- The Jetta is not good looking to me (unfortunatly not) even though the engine and tranny seems more promising (2.0T and DSG) than the Acura's 2.4 I-VTEC. I know that I could not live with it though.

The Jetta would have been my first choice if the arse would have looked different, I just don't want a GTI so the bottom line is : I liked my old Prelude, I like the TSX overall (reminds me of my old car) and that's why I am buying one.

I am not going to go to the track nor do I need to Know what's the best 0-60 I can get out of the car. I want a great handling car with all the bells and whistles and I will get get it by may 10. The VW's engines NEED the 91 octane, the Honda's don't.

J-F
Old 04-26-2005 | 10:51 PM
Life's a beach

Yes, and before anyone says "So you can afford a TSX but you can't afford the premium gas it wants?!" (which I admit you could probably interpret my previous post that way): Well yeah, I could probably afford the premium gas too. But if I don't need it and the car doesn't actually need it and can work just fine on 89 rather than 91 for the type of driving that I do, then I'm not real big on wasting money, you know? Especially when the price of gas where I live is the highest in the nation.
Old 04-26-2005 | 11:47 PM
Got Phó?

Go ahead and use your 89 gas, you'll soon hear a knocking noise and you'll be like "WTF!" Don't say i didn't warn you!
Old 04-27-2005 | 12:12 AM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
I intend to fill up on 91 octane all the time for my TSX. I would only refill with lower octane if 91 was unavailable.
Hey Tony the Tiger, finally surfacing in the open huh!!! Congrats on your new ride again

If you use Chevron like I do, Premium grade is 92 octane, 1 better than minimal required by our TSX
Old 04-27-2005 | 02:22 AM
Apex Clipper

Originally Posted by rlominski
Hi all,

Looking thorugh my manual it states the the TSX (05 model) requires gas with 91 octane (I think it is 90 or 91), anway, the only way to get that octane around me is with premium gas (much more expensive).

The dealer says that regular (86 octane ) is just fine, but when the manual states it in multiple places I take is seriously.

What does everybody else buy?

Rob
I use 91 as the manual states. However, most new cars have knock sensors and will retard the (ignition) timing if it senses knocking due to lower octane gas. I would only suggest using lower octane if necessary (no 91 at the only gas station if you live in bumblefu*k or if you don't have enough $ to get enough petrol to where you need to go).
Old 04-27-2005 | 02:25 AM
Apex Clipper

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Hey Tony the Tiger, finally surfacing in the open huh!!! Congrats on your new ride again

If you use Chevron like I do, Premium grade is 92 octane, 1 better than minimal required by our TSX
I remember in Chicago we use to have 93oc, unfortunately, the best you can get in Cali is 91 unless you're getting 100+oc race fuel at very limited gas stations/race tracks/tuning shops which is rediculously pricey... $40+ for 5 gallons...
Old 04-28-2005 | 10:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by quintno
A previous forum turned me on to the ultimate solution to this problem--get the Discover special gas card, which refunds 5% annually for all gas purchases. That makes up for the extra premium price.

is that different from the regular discover card?
Old 04-28-2005 | 10:05 AM
Racer

93 for my baby all day every day. Cost me $36 to fill up this morning but it's worth it since it rides so nice.
Old 04-28-2005 | 07:07 PM
'05 TSX SSM/EB/AT/Nav

Originally Posted by BonzoAPD
is that different from the regular discover card?
Yes, although it has the same benefits otherwise as a regular Discover... so it's a no brainer... get the Gas card:

www.discovergascard.com

Edit: Not sure if there is any difference (prolly not, jsut the look of the card) but mine looks like this card:
https://discovercardapplication.com/..._discover_gas_
Old 05-30-2005 | 11:35 PM
Racer

Currently, I drive an '98 Eclipse GS (soon to be TSX) and have noticed that the type of gas does affect both my mileage and the performance of the car. My car is designed to take 87 octane, but I think the extra mileage and performance is worth the price I pay. For example, if I drive cross-country on 87 octane, I typically have to gas up every 300 miles. With premium octane (91-93), I notice that not only does my car have a little more pep (and boy does it need it) it will also get 360 miles to the tank. Now I have a 12 gallon tank so there's a tangible increase of 5pmg on the highway. So unless I know I'm in a money crunch or I'm in the middle of a nasty crude oil price shock, I will always go with premium octane.
Those are my
Old 05-31-2005 | 12:01 AM
Goldmember

I syphon gas from other people's cars in my mobile home park so I use whatever is in their cars. I try to steal from nice cars like cars made after 1985 hoping it's got 91 octane.

Geez people, just pay for the premium unless you're travelling and it's crazy prices, fill until you get to a more reasonable one. But I figure my time and gas cost and wear cost to save 5 cents at costco (I'm a member) vs. just going to my cheapest local station (which happens to be Shell which is good gas). I don't know how much knocking wears on the engine but I have to think it's worth it. And this is coming from someone who plans to only change oil every 10k instead of every 3 or 5k like most here.
Old 05-31-2005 | 01:01 AM
Drifting

If one is able to afford a TSX, one should be able to afford the cost of ownership. But, I can relate, I like to save money too wherever I can.

Reading spec sheets, the recommended gasoline is 91 octane. I would not go with anything less, nor would I feel I would have to go with anything higher.

No, I have not found any material mentioning lower octane levels being detrimental to a TSX engine in the long-term. Then again, I am not the type to test the theory out.

If gas was really an issue, maybe a honda civic or toyota corolla would've done the job.
Old 05-31-2005 | 03:05 AM
Got Ramen?

the extra $2-3 is not too bad...well maybe cuz i use a Citi Dividends card which gives me 5% back on gas purchases which would put me about the same amount for regular at the pump...sign up for the Citi card.
Old 05-31-2005 | 06:50 AM
|____\\===(/\)===//____|

In Canada 91 octane is 3 cents cheaper per liter every Thursday. I've just switched from Shell to Ultramar; the Air Miles are just not worth it.

P.S. When you get the National Bank-Ultramar Mastercard you do save between 2.5-5% (???) on everything you buy at the gas station.

J-F
Old 05-31-2005 | 07:03 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by DaBlackT
In Canada 91 octane is 3 cents cheaper per liter every Thursday. I've just switched from Shell to Ultramar; the Air Miles are just not worth it.

P.S. When you get the National Bank-Ultramar Mastercard you do save between 2.5-5% (???) on everything you buy at the gas station.

J-F
Or you could get the BMO Air Miles Mastercard, grab the airmiles and the Ultramar prices.
Old 05-31-2005 | 07:13 AM
Go Dutch !

I always use 98 octaine (BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power). In europe 95 octaine is pretty much standard (minimal is 91).
Old 05-31-2005 | 09:55 AM
My Garage

93 for me

Quick Reply: Do you use Premium or Regular Gas