DIY rear de-badging ... any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question DIY rear de-badging ... any tips?

"Badges? We ain't got no badges.... I don't have to show you no stinkin' badges!"
(The Treasure of Sierra Madre)

I've searched and searched (and that's saying a lot when search is throttled back to 1:60secs), but didn't find a sticky DIY on this.

I'm 70/30 leaning to removing the glued-on "Acura" and "TSX" badges. My CPO vehicle's got 38,000 on it, but the glue/adhesive appears still rather pliable. I really don't like the excess chromed plastic. ... I've read they're only glued, fine, confirmed that on my 2006. I've read that a hair dryer (NOT a heat gun, I presume) is the only tool needed. (And, perhaps, patience.) I do understand that having some wax/treatment right there to protect the newly exposed finish is a Good Idea.

Questions:
  • Under a hair dryer, does the glue harden and flack off, or does it soften and become more pliable? Anecdotally (fancy way of saying, "in your personal experience"), does it leave the finish intact and undamaged, or is it so tough it might take some of the finish with it?
  • How long did it take you?
  • Any unexpected surprises?
  • Suggested uses for the orphaned badges? (I've seen a couple of you with the "TSX" badge on your interior trim -- nice.)
Thanks in advance...!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
Questions:
  • Under a hair dryer, does the glue harden and flack off, or does it soften and become more pliable? Anecdotally (fancy way of saying, "in your personal experience"), does it leave the finish intact and undamaged, or is it so tough it might take some of the finish with it?
  • Suggested uses for the orphaned badges? (I've seen a couple of you with the "TSX" badge on your interior trim -- nice.)
Thanks in advance...!
1 - the glue softens.
2 - 30mins
3 - nope
4 - Make a necklace out of them ala Flava flav!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Badges? We ain't got no badges.... I don't have to show you no stinkin' badges!"

I've searched and searched (and that's saying a lot when search is throttled back to 1:60secs), but didn't find a sticky DIY on this.

I'm 70/30 leaning to removing the glued-on "Acura" and "TSX" badges. My CPO vehicle's got 38,000 on it, but the glue/adhesive appears still rather pliable. I really don't like the excess chromed plastic. ... I've read they're only glued, fine, confirmed that on my 2006. I've read that a hair dryer (NOT a heat gun, I presume) is the only tool needed. (And, perhaps, patience.) I do understand that having some wax/treatment right there to protect the newly exposed finish is a Good Idea.

Questions:
Thanks in advance...!
Super easy. All i did was use a old drivers license. thin enough to get underneath the emblems and the plastic didn't scratch the paint. Then I just used goo-gone for the tape/glue and once that was done, waxed those spots pretty good. Don't even need a hair dryer, just park the car in a sunny spot. I did mine on one of our great VA. 90 degree days. All of it took around 1/2 hour or less.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another method:

Pour hot water onto emblem
Take floss or a thin string and see-saw back and forth to cut through the tape holding the emblem on
Rub off the excess tape left on the car with your finger
Use goo gone to get rid of leftover stick residue
Old 09-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX07
Use goo gone to get rid of leftover stick residue

Or you can also use a clay bar...

Either case, just don't forget to wax the area afterwards...
Old 09-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought my car used and the guy before must have done this, because my "Acura" and "TSX" badges are both missing, but the Acura symbol is still holdin on strong.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
^^ or :thief:
Old 09-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^^hahaha, that's a pretty funny graphic, never seen that one before
Old 09-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Have camera, will travel

Great movie!

Can't help on the de-badging.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PACman
1 - the glue softens.
2 - 30mins
3 - nope
4 - Make a necklace out of them ala Flava flav!

I just did this yesterday, took the advice from one of the guys here. Used floss, hair dryer and my finger. Tooo lazy to go to auto zone to get clay bar, any how. It worked within a half hour. I waxed the area and voila my acura debagded!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:10 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by idelgado782
I just did this yesterday, took the advice from one of the guys here. Used floss, hair dryer and my finger. Tooo lazy to go to auto zone to get clay bar, any how. It worked within a half hour. I waxed the area and voila my acura debagded!!!
Looks good
Old 09-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Burning Brakes

hairdryer, floss...done
Old 09-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruserious
Looks good

Thanks. I work so many hours, doing little things like this to my car is big for me. Thats why I said I was too lazy to go get a claybar. My girl liked it so much, I have to do it to hers.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Instructor

take a picture after everything I want to see how does it turn out
Old 09-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
wonder how it'd look if you stuck the tsx emblem by the fender [both sides of course] <- is that what its called? over by between the front wheels and where the front doors start
Old 09-14-2007, 05:53 AM
Instructor

I just removed the ACURA badge, and left the TSX one. Removing both makes it look a little awkward.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:29 PM

I'm seeing the light.... Using a hair dryer on the badge may not heat the adhesive, as the badge is plastic(?). So "cutting" the badge away with floss lets you get to the adhesive with hair dryer or Goo Gone or whatever.[1] Very good idea. Also ensures your don't bend/break your badge (I know at least one member has it repositioned to the passenger-side metal dashboard trim).

The clay bar is probably the finest treatmen you can do, but I suspect the adhesive will come off with some light Goo Gone with immediate cold water rinse. A good wax will buff/protect the finish sufficiently. I'm going to get waxed floss (I use woven at home) and high-Q wax tonight. Shall I post pics in the Gallery? Of course.

[1]I don't think I'll do hot/boiling water! I don't know how resilient the finish is to what temperature liquid. I also wouldn't want the hot water getting into the lights or pooling in the bumper sill area.

I agree with many, that the two badges are the only non-symmetrical items on practically the whole car. With just the "TSX" ... well, less symmetrical, but my earliest complaint about putting a "Acura" lic. plate frame was, "I don't need the rear end saying 'Acura' three times, enough brand identification already!"

idelgado782, now that I look at yours, I see that the "A" badge and the backup lights form a rather subtle triangular symmetry. Nice. ... Okay, that's as aesthetic as I can get.

Thanks, everyone for your added info and suggestions.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wong05tsx
wonder how it'd look if you stuck the tsx emblem by the fender [both sides of course] <- is that what its called? over by between the front wheels and where the front doors start
Terrible, not to mention

but to get back on topic I just let the car sit in the sun forabout 10 mins.

Used floss and took the residue off with Goo Gone and a microfiber cloth.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:43 PM

I appreciate everyone's help. After sitting in the sun for a while, floss cut the badges off fine, though leaving a significant amount of the double-sided stickum. It was cooler today, so I had to back 'er into the garage to use a hair dryer on the remainder. I found that heat makes the stickum easer to pick off (fingernail being the best tool, an orangewood stick -- use by manicurists -- the next best thing), but the adhesive underneath got a little baked. It was actually easier to scrape it off if I cooled it down with the dryer on "cool air." Goo Gone definitely called for to finish with; clay bar probably a nice idea, but maybe not as gentle(?). YMMV. (My car's 18 months old, remember.)

Then a mild washing and a couple of treatments with some Turtle Wax cleaning wax did the trick.

I saw an RSX today, and realized that they appear to only have a badge on the right side of the trunk lid, even less symmetrical. I thought of leaving the TSX badge on, but only very briefly. I think the Acura "A" badge looks distinctive all by itself.