DIY Oil change in pictures/videos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 05:54 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Oil change in pictures/videos?

Hello, first I know there are many posts regarding diy oil changes, but none that talks about it in pictures/videos.

Just wondering if anyone here can provide me with pictures or videos on how to do an oil change on the Acura TSX 04.

I have always let my mechanic do it for me, but would like to learn it for myself so I can save some money.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There may not be any pics/videos because it's a fairly simple procedure. I, for one, just gave it a shot and it wasn't so bad. I would recommend watching an oil change video for any other car and just figure out where those same parts are on the TSX and go for it based on the written instructions..
Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thermos
There may not be any pics/videos because it's a fairly simple procedure. I, for one, just gave it a shot and it wasn't so bad. I would recommend watching an oil change video for any other car and just figure out where those same parts are on the TSX and go for it based on the written instructions..
thanks for your reply! i was actually very confident after reading general step by step oil changes for other cars. But then some people mention that theres no way to prevent a mess on your shirt when you change the oil on the tsx.

Which is why I wanted to see if theres any pics/videos so I can do it correctly (screws, the tools needed, and tips so its not as messy).

I'm gonna read around this forum for more info.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I also just started doing this myself. Some lessons learned:

- You will find differing opinions as to use ramps or jack up the front passenger side and remove the wheel. I tried both, and I could not get the oil filter off without removing the wheel, so that's what I do now. If you have better access to underneath the car, you may not have to.
- This is a stupid noob thing, but buy a larger sized oil drain pan. I bought one that was too small, and made a huge mess. The oil will initially shoot out at around a 45 degree angle, but will slowly drain straight down. I positioned my too-small pan for the 45 degrees, then didn't pay attention and when it drained straight it was missing the pan.
- Lots of oil gets everwhere when you remove the filter, so again the large pan will help.
- I didn't have the correct oil filter wrench the first time and I had to puncture it with a screw driver and turn it off that way.

The only tools you really need are a socket wrench (with 10mm or 12mm, or both (forget exactly), but any basic metric socket set works) and some kind of wrench for the oil filter. I just got Honda OEM filters with the cap that allows you screw it on and off. Aside from that, it's oil pan, filter, crush-washer for the oil plug, and oil.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Also you can use a torque wrench to tighten up the bolt but I've done it for years now and know by feel when to stop. What you need to know if that you get to a tight point and must continue to tighten as the washer is crushed, it will get a little loose and then tight again. This is when I stop. It also works on the transmission bolt. I haven't had one leak in the 8 years that I have been doing it.

One thing I would recommend for the first few times is that you leave the splash shield off for the first week or so just to be sure you have no leaks. Then you can put it back on.