Disable automatic air conditioning?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:32 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disable automatic air conditioning?

Hello!

I just bought a used 2005 TSX with navigation, and so far I'm loving it! However, there is one issue that really bugs me. Every time I press the Auto button to turn on climate control the A/C turns on with it, even when it's only 20 ºF out! I can understand the A/C coming on when defrosting windows, but having it on all the time is a bit much.

Is there any way to disable the A/C from turning on every time I press the Auto button? Or maybe a way to only have it turn on when the car's interior temp is higher than what you want?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well of course it's in the owner's manual, but if you push the button marked "A/C" it toggles on/off the A/C even in the "Auto" mode.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:03 AM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

That doesn't sound right "AC turns on even when it's 20F"... What did you set your interior temperature at? My AC never turns on below 70F (which is what I have my ambient cabin temperature set at) - unless I manually turn it on to dehumidify my interior during the winter.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is your complaint... the green light that is on? The AC shouldn't be doing anything in your 20 degree weather... it is just available for use. Your compressor is not doing anything (except idling under zero load) until your climate control signals the clutch to close and start to compress air for cooling. Now I have heard that the compressor will cycle on periodically to keep the system lubed and operating correctly but that shouldn't be anything excessive to complain about. It's like that to protect the system so you don't have it sit for 6 months of winter and then fire it up come summer only to have unlubricated parts burn out.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:39 AM
7th Gear

Basically I hate having to do the following every time I turn climate control on:

Press Auto -> Press A/C -> Look at the navi screen to find the "A/C Off" button -> Press Map again to get back to the map.

But if the AC really isn't doing anything when it's cold out, then I won't worry about it. I just didn't want to waste energy when there's no need for A/C .
Old 01-20-2008, 11:40 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by poltergeist
Well of course it's in the owner's manual, but if you push the button marked "A/C" it toggles on/off the A/C even in the "Auto" mode.
That's only in the Non-Navi models. With Navi you have to open the "Manual Controls" screen first .
Old 01-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Daveymcgav
That's only in the Non-Navi models. With Navi you have to open the "Manual Controls" screen first .
You're right. Always haven't liked that about the Navi cars, much harder to adjust fan speed etc. manually. Interesting that it looks like the '08's and I presume '06-'07 do have an A/C override button on the Navi cars.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
The AC being on doesn't mean cold air is coming through. It simply cycles the compressor on and off to remove moisture. Air still passes through the heater core to heat it.

I can understand your gripe in the winter, though. The compressor zaps power from the engine, and in most cases, the cold temps outside don't allow for much humidity in the air...

I have a non-navi, so it isn't a big deal to hit a button to turn the AC off. However, I can see how it can be a pain in the @ss on the Navi version...
Old 01-20-2008, 06:32 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by poltergeist
You're right. Always haven't liked that about the Navi cars, much harder to adjust fan speed etc. manually. Interesting that it looks like the '08's and I presume '06-'07 do have an A/C override button on the Navi cars.
Yeah, I actually don't like how many of the common controls are thrown into sub pages of the navi system. On my old (2000) Accord I could adjust settings like bass and treble, change radio presets, and do other stuff without taking my eyes off the road. Navi's nice, but I'd almost give it up just to get those damn buttons back!

Almost.