Decisions, Decisions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 02:25 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decisions, Decisions.

I am hoping for a little help from those of you out there who were torn in different directions prior to buying your TSX. I was in the market for a sports car, and was looking at the 350Z or the S2000. I was expecting a job that provided a company car, but it fell through, so the sports car ideas were out the window quickly due to the need for a back seat with the arrival of my first child soon. I then started looking for a practical vehicle with good performance, as this vehicle will primarily be used for the few nights away without the baby, and getting back and forth to work and the golf course. I simply need the back seat in case something happens and we need to use my car.

I have recently driven a 2004 Accord EX-V6 6speed coupe, and was very impressed. I liked the performance and the quiet interior, although admittedly I was unable to drive it on a good twisty road to test the handling. I have also driven the WRX, which is a blast to drive, but is really bare-bones and boring on the inside.

I am considering a TSX because it seems to be a good mix of great handling and luxury, but I am a little concerned about the lack of power. I have researched the vehicle extensively in professional reviews, and have seen 0-60 times from 6.6 to 8.3. Needless to say, I find it hard to believe that there is such a large discrepancy between these times.

I know you are all happy with your cars, and I think it is a stunning car to look at, but can I get some honest opinions of its straight line acceleration? I just want to make sure that I buy something with a satisfactory amount of fun, and unfortunately, I don't live close enough to an Acura dealership to just conveniently run in for a test drive. I would appreciate some help.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:31 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Re: Decisions, Decisions.

Originally posted by bradkv
I am hoping for a little help from those of you out there who were torn in different directions prior to buying your TSX. I was in the market for a sports car, and was looking at the 350Z or the S2000. I was expecting a job that provided a company car, but it fell through, so the sports car ideas were out the window quickly due to the need for a back seat with the arrival of my first child soon. I then started looking for a practical vehicle with good performance, as this vehicle will primarily be used for the few nights away without the baby, and getting back and forth to work and the golf course. I simply need the back seat in case something happens and we need to use my car.
That's an interesting set of requirements. Since you seem to be leaning towards 2-door cars, have you looked at the G35 coupe and the RX-8?
Old 11-07-2003, 02:50 PM
7th Gear

I don't trust the reliability of the RX-8, and the G-35 coupe is too expensive. I like the price of the TSX, as it is comparable in price to the Accord and the WRX, and the number of doors is no longer a concern.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:09 PM
TSX Lover

I don't trust the reliability of the RX-8, and the G-35 coupe is too expensive. I like the price of the TSX, as it is comparable in price to the Accord and the WRX, and the number of doors is no longer a concern.
Check out the video on Vtec.net of the mountain run with an Accord Coupe V6 6MT and a TSX 6MT. I think it is really apparent which car was handling better, a lot better. The Accord slipped away slightly in the straights, but the TSX almost drove the poor thing off the road in the curves. I will see if I can find the exact link. PS - I believe you have to be a member over there to watch it.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:35 PM
TSX Lover

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=147731

TSX Rules!!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 03:50 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Re: Decisions, Decisions.

I have researched the vehicle extensively in professional reviews, and have seen 0-60 times from 6.6 to 8.3.
I can't believe all you guys missed this.... 0-60 in 6.6??? Please tell us where you saw that. The best time we've seen is 7.2 from C&D. Worst time was 8.3.

If your getting a 6 speed I think the TSX acceleration will be bearable. But I'm not you and don't know what you expect. I know this is not really being helpful, but the only way to determine if the TSX is fast enough for you is a Test Drive.

IMO if you expect better than average acceleration, then get something else.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:20 PM
such a dirty birdy

bradkv, it sounds like the TSX would be a good match for your needs, but as suggested, you really need to drive one to know if the power will be enough for you. I'd describe it as "adequate". That's not damning with faint praise, it just means it's fine for me. To be truthful the car is a little less powerful than what I'd hoped to get, but I was impressed enough with the car as a whole to buy it anyway. The TSX just isn't a hi-power sports car, it never will be. But it is certainly "sporty". Overall, its a satisifying combination of performance, handling and luxury and a great value to boot.

I'd be interested to know where that 6.6 came from too.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:30 PM
Racer

The Accord EX V6 coupe slammed me back in my seat in a way the TSX does not. I even think it's attractive (picture a nice pearl gray color like our CG with a black leather interior, ahhhh, pretty nice). Not as attractive as the TSX but close. And it's cheaper. However, the TSX surpasses the EX V6 coupe in one important department - refinement. And I found the TSX engine, though smaller, minus two cylinders, etc, to be smoother overall. It's a fantastic four, maybe the best in the business. It's got plenty of pep and can keep up with all the other automatic-equipped entry level lux cars out there! Tough call ya have to make. You have to test drive them both. Then have a brew and think about it. Is this a great country or what!
Old 11-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

What you are quoting are the extremes.

The extremes don't apply to most people in 99.9999% of every day driving. Afterall, fast driving on windy twisty roads will likely mean you'll hit a cyclist, a horse, pedestrian, sign post, or roll over the embankment anyway.

A second or two faster on 0-60 mph means nothing unless you like to relax a hair second longer at the next red light. Afterall, in day-to-day driving do you always expect to floor it to the max? Remember, the specs and measurements are extremes, the fastest times, etc.

There's nothing inadequate about the TSX's horsepower. Any number of other cars can potentially be faster, but most sane people don't drive to the extreme to eek out those seconds of the utmost minimum amount time to get from point A to point B.

But with some people, it's an emotional decision to want to be bigger, faster, more powerful, more potent, etc even though the application (real world usage) may be silly, immature, impractical, or immaterial.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:07 PM
7th Gear

I found the 6.6 time in a TSX search on MotorTrend.com. I appreciate the response so far, and I look forward to testing one soon.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:22 PM
such a dirty birdy

Originally posted by Brad
But with some people, it's an emotional decision to want to be bigger, faster, more powerful, more potent, etc even though the application (real world usage) may be silly, immature, impractical, or immaterial.
Do you think maybe he's compensating for something? - Shrek.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
I think one of the best real world tests for any car would be the typical highway on ramp. If you can merge "comfortably" with the free flowing traffic (60-70mph) on the typical highway it has enough power (and you will want to include the handling of the curve of the on ramp with the test).
Old 11-08-2003, 05:56 AM
The Voice of Reason

An unfair comparison....

200hp Acura TSX vs. the $68,760 335hp Porsche Cayenne S:

Figures from Car and Driver Magazine.

Acura/Porsche:

0-60 - 7.2/7.3
0-100 - 19.0/18.8
SS 1/4 mile 15.6@91mph /15.4@92mph

I'd consider the Acura has "adequate" performance for $26,000.

If you throw a set of winter tires on the TSX it should be at least as good in the snow, too!
Old 11-08-2003, 11:00 AM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
The Accord EX V6 coupe slammed me back in my seat in a way the TSX does not. I even think it's attractive (picture a nice pearl gray color like our CG with a black leather interior, ahhhh, pretty nice). Not as attractive as the TSX but close. And it's cheaper. However, the TSX surpasses the EX V6 coupe in one important department - refinement. And I found the TSX engine, though smaller, minus two cylinders, etc, to be smoother overall. It's a fantastic four, maybe the best in the business. It's got plenty of pep and can keep up with all the other automatic-equipped entry level lux cars out there! Tough call ya have to make. You have to test drive them both. Then have a brew and think about it. Is this a great country or what!
The Accord Coupe EX V6 w/ leather is $26990 after destination the TSX is $27,035. WOW it is $45 cheaper, what a savings.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:38 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by prballard
The Accord Coupe EX V6 w/ leather is $26990 after destination the TSX is $27,035. WOW it is $45 cheaper, what a savings.
Cars Direct gives a price of $25,233 for the Accord V6 Coupe 6M in my zip code. Less their fee ~$500 that's $24,733 if you're willing to do your own legwork.

I paid $25,990 for the Acura plus tax and tags and paperwork. (I did my own legwork.)

I figure a $1,257 difference, but before the window etching, mudflaps, wheel locks, trunk mat, box of candy and balloon the salesman threw in for "free" on the Acura.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Racer

Originally posted by prballard
Actually, though, the savings is much greater than $45, because Honda is having a hard time selling Accords, so you can figure on $1000 to $2500 (or more) off sticker for one. Makes it a tougher call (not for me, of course)...