Deciding on a TSX vs IS300. options? Price?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003 | 07:01 PM
Advanced

Deciding on a TSX vs IS300. options? Price?

I am currently trying to decide on a Carbon TSX vs. a silver IS300. After driving a 6 spd TSX yesterday, I have decided that w/ a couple of small mods the TSX could probably perform as well as the stock IS300. Right now it is down to which dealer has treated me better. So far Cush Acura of Escondido CA whom I've already bought an Integra GS and a Lexus IS300 Sportcross from are head and shoulders above the Lexus dealers.
So here's what I have negotiated: a Carbon TSX 6spd w/ navi and mp3 player for $28300. What does everybody think? Is the navi worth it? Or should I get the factory ground effects instead? Rival dealers are welcome to make counteroffers.
What is everybody getting thrown in? Is the trunk mat usually thrown in for free?
I'm pretty biased against Hoehn Acura over an incident w/ my Integra GSR but I am trying to maintain an open mind.
Old 09-23-2003 | 08:56 PM
Advanced

I just went up to Cush in Escondido this past weekend, alas they didn't have any TSX in stock for me to look at. But I was generally surprised about how friendly they were, actually I was surprised when I asked them to appraise my trade in, they said just bring in the KBB values and they'd match it. First dealer that's ever said that! I even said that most dealers won't match the KBB value, but they said they would. very odd. I'm pretty sure you can get the trunk tray, splatter guards, and wheel locks thrown in there, just mention that Hoehn includes all that stuff already and I'm sure they'd agree. that stuff is pretty cheap for them. Hoehn is also pretty attentive to customer service, at least the guy I've been emailing questions to is. I don't think you'd get as good a deal at Hoehn though just because they do a lot of volume and can easily just wait for the next customer who will give them the price they want. I think all the dealerships in Escondido are a little more laid back and willing to please the customer.
Old 09-23-2003 | 09:33 PM
Advanced

I deal directly w/ the manager over there. Let me know if you want to deal w/ him instead of a salesman. Hook you up and get me a referral! FYI, my hookup there said even though they don't have any TSXs in stock, he can get me what I want.
Old 09-23-2003 | 11:46 PM
Advanced

Any other opinions?
Old 09-23-2003 | 11:48 PM
More On

Hey, Dude -- Welcome! Can't tell you much about the comparison, except that I didn't consider the IS300 because I actually prefer FWD (!) -- actually a number of people on here do, probably no surprise. Also, for what it's worth some comparison tests have shown the TSX's performance to be equal to the IS300 on some measures -- e.g. 0-60; in fact, the first known such comparison had both of them coming in at 7.2.

Also: Perhaps you haven't seen this thread:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=2716
Old 09-23-2003 | 11:53 PM
More On

We're very split on the Nav. A lot of people feel they don't need it at all, and some others would've liked to have it but didn't think it was worth the $2K. But I don't recall that anybody who's GOTTEN it has regretted it.

As to what gets thrown in, it varies from region to region. In some places, you can't get anything at all off MSRP, and nothing thrown in. But if you can, it's very variable how much the discount might be and/or what you can get thrown in.

I think your deal is pretty good even if nothing more is thrown in.
Old 09-24-2003 | 08:23 AM
Advanced

Any opinions on the OEM ground effects? Also, I haven't seen mention of the mp3 player. I have on now in my GSR and I can't live w/out one No one has any problems w/ burning oil on their TSXs, right?
Old 09-24-2003 | 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

um....you will need a lot of mods to get handling/fun to drive to equal the IS, its practically impossible...first you need a lot more torque(about 50lbs more to equal it)...a LSD(you will need this if you want to corner decently), and somehow make the Rear wheels do the moving and get the numbness out of the TSX steering.
Old 09-24-2003 | 10:14 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by TheDude
Any opinions on the OEM ground effects? Also, I haven't seen mention of the mp3 player. I have on now in my GSR and I can't live w/out one No one has any problems w/ burning oil on their TSXs, right?
The OEM mp3 player seems overpriced. I think what you'll find is several people have wired a special adapter to the stereo that allows them to hook up an external (iPod-style) player.
Old 09-24-2003 | 10:34 AM
Racer

you get the tsx full bodykit for ~$1100 from hondacuraworld.com. i would just go w/ the navi and if you want the bodykit, you can always get it later. the navi... you only have one chance.
Old 09-24-2003 | 11:10 AM
Audi Driving Snob

wow, more san diego people!

For me the perfromance issue wasn't a big deal. Instead of any discrepancies i saw this: 1) both fun to drive 2) both accelerate well enough for me(neither one is "fast") 3) both handle well, but the tsx is easily upgradeable with a set of sticky summer tires that the is300s come with. That in itself should make a large improvement in the tsx handling. 4) I liked the interior of the tsx more. The is300 interior is very small and cramped 5) I like the exterior styling of both. 6) I could get a tsx for significantly less money(no nav).

Add them all up and for me the tsx was the winner.
Old 09-24-2003 | 12:00 PM

I would wait to see the new body style for the is300 first. the current style looks like a over priced civic!
Old 09-24-2003 | 12:54 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by TheDude
I deal directly w/ the manager over there. Let me know if you want to deal w/ him instead of a salesman. Hook you up and get me a referral! FYI, my hookup there said even though they don't have any TSXs in stock, he can get me what I want.
You deal with the manager at the Cush in Escondido? I think I am going to stop by again this weekend and see how badly they want to get rid of the TL's and if they have any TSX's to play with. I'd be happy to be your referral, I think they appreciate that business a lot more and are more willing to invest in the potential business they may bring.
Old 09-24-2003 | 04:31 PM
Advanced

As far as I know, the TSX DOES have a limited slip, anyone know for sure?

Nachoman, email me offline at baxshepATcox.net and we'll get you hooked up. Right now I have been offered a 6spd navi for 28K flat. I've bought 2 cars from this guy before and it's refreshing to work directly w/ the manager instead of a go-between salesman.

Haven't seen any other dealers offer me anything this good, I thought there was someone who worked at Hoehn on here...
Old 09-24-2003 | 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by adam fiooz
I would wait to see the new body style for the is300 first the current style look like a over priced civic!
omg, first smart thing this guy has ever said on this board
Old 09-24-2003 | 05:37 PM
Audi Driving Snob

no limited slip on the tsx.
Old 09-24-2003 | 08:48 PM
Don't listen to me.

I don't know about the rest of you but I thought the interior of the IS300 sucks. Yes it is fast and handles well. but It is cramped and little details like the cupholders and the better feeling at night made me not even really consider the IS300.

:flamer: IS300
Old 09-24-2003 | 09:31 PM
Advanced

I like the ecsaine suede leather. I'm not a fan of the chronograph style instruments though. The plastic ball shifter SUCKS. The whole shifting experience sucks compared to my GSR and a TSX. You can literally hear CLUNK CLUNK as you row through the gears on a IS300 5spd. Handles great though. I think if I upgrade the tires on the TSX a bit, it will handle just as well. Can you put 225/40s on a stock TSX rim?
Old 09-24-2003 | 09:54 PM
More On

Originally posted by iNteGraz92
Actually there have been quite a few -- as soon as he realized you don't have to confine all your posts to the Accord coupe and intramural blowjobs.
Old 09-24-2003 | 10:06 PM
Not an Ashtray

I liked the IS300 and would have give it more consideration if it we're so damn small. It has a smaller trunk than a Corolla and no more interior room. It was just too small to be practical. I don't have a family but I do want a bit of room to haul stuff when I need to.
Old 09-25-2003 | 04:04 AM
Banned

Has anyone else noticed that the IS300 looks like its "head" or "bonnet" is too tall and the hoodline is too low? That bonnet-to-hoodline transition looks like it was drawn up by a five-year-old or maybe even BMW's Chris Bangle. It has kind of a goofy froggy look to it.

At first I thought the IS300 is just tall, but I recently found out that the Acura TSX is about two inches taller yet is much better proportioned.

The tall bonnet, low hood design for the IS300 is even more surprising considering Toyota-Lexus' otherwise consistent design direction of tall doors combined with disproportionately small/short window sills (i.e., short bonnet), an ill-conceived "innovation" that started with the most recent Supra and permeated virtually the entire line-up including the Camry, Celica, Corolla, Matrix, Camry Solara, ES, SC, and the all-new RX.

The all-new RX is one screwed up exterior design. It's a disaster. Do you think they paid BMW's Chris Bangle to screw up the taillights just like he did to the 7-Series (Chrysler Cirrus taillights. LOL.) and the all-new 5-Series (extreme Japanese/old Maxima/old I30 taillights. double LOL.)?

In part thanks to the exterior design incompetence of Toyota-Lexus, Honda-Acura cars have better than a fighting chance, and this includes the TSX.
Old 09-25-2003 | 04:45 AM
Banned

Honestly I think the IS300 is a much better all-around car than the TSX...

if you plan to go pick up on young boys after a Justin Timberlake concert.
Old 09-25-2003 | 10:20 AM
More On

Originally posted by SouthernCalOdysseus
Has anyone else noticed that the IS300 looks like its "head" or "bonnet" is too tall and the hoodline is too low? That bonnet-to-hoodline transition looks like it was drawn up by a five-year-old or maybe even BMW's Chris Bangle. It has kind of a goofy froggy look to it.

At first I thought the IS300 is just tall, but I recently found out that the Acura TSX is about two inches taller yet is much better proportioned.

The tall bonnet, low hood design for the IS300 is even more surprising considering Toyota-Lexus' otherwise consistent design direction of tall doors combined with disproportionately small/short window sills....

The all-new RX is one screwed up exterior design. It's a disaster. Do you think they paid BMW's Chris Bangle to screw up the taillights just like he did to the 7-Series (Chrysler Cirrus taillights. LOL.) and the all-new 5-Series (extreme Japanese/old Maxima/old I30 taillights. double LOL.)?

In part thanks to the exterior design incompetence of Toyota-Lexus, Honda-Acura cars have better than a fighting chance, and this includes the TSX.
How's that for a first post? I think we should immediately sign up SCO as our unofficial design critic.

But -- hey SCO, I think we might not be as smart as you think we are, or at least I'm not. Who tf is this Chris Bangle? I mean, I know NOW (thank you, google ) .......
Old 09-25-2003 | 11:07 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by larchmont
How's that for a first post? I think we should immediately sign up SCO as our unofficial design critic.

But -- hey SCO, I think we might not be as smart as you think we are, or at least I'm not. Who tf is this Chris Bangle? I mean, I know NOW (thank you, google ) .......
Yep, Bangle is the one responsible for BMW's latest designs. They're "unusual", to put it nicely.. though I actually like the Z4 that no one else seems to.

But let's not abbreviate him SCO. They're the company currently suing IBM for a billion or three and trying to charge every Linux user $699 for licensing.
(Linus to SCO: Grow up) Thanks.
Old 09-25-2003 | 11:11 AM
More On

Originally posted by Count Blah
.....let's not abbreviate him SCO. They're the company currently suing IBM for a billion or three and trying to charge every Linux user $699 for licensing.....
Consider me edified. (But you might have to tell me again!)
Old 09-25-2003 | 12:11 PM

Originally posted by iNteGraz92
Your mother is my bitch!there thats number 2.
Old 09-25-2003 | 12:15 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

Adam, we already know your story man...
Old 09-25-2003 | 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

OK, I guess I am glad we didn't ban this guy.
Old 09-25-2003 | 12:19 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

The all-new RX is one screwed up exterior design. It's a disaster.
Agreed. I think the profile/proportions of the RX330's rear end is similar to that of the Aztek's.
Old 09-25-2003 | 02:56 PM

Originally posted by rb4580
Adam, we already know your story man...
Your mom is next watch out!:-*
Old 09-25-2003 | 03:00 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally posted by dnb
Agreed. I think the profile/proportions of the RX330's rear end is similar to that of the Aztek's.
I disagree with you guys. I like the styling on the new RX330. It still has the "middled age wife of a CEO" look, but I like it nonetheless.
Old 09-25-2003 | 03:08 PM
Advanced

So can I put 225/40s on the stock rim?
Old 09-25-2003 | 04:04 PM

Originally posted by darth62
I disagree with you guys. I like the styling on the new RX330. It still has the "middled age wife of a CEO" look, but I like it nonetheless.
The "rx330" looks like shit compared to the "inf fx45" now that suv kicks ass!!!
Old 09-25-2003 | 04:15 PM
Advanced

I hate suvs
Old 09-25-2003 | 04:28 PM
Banned

Thanks for the compliment, Larchmont. And I'm not even sure that was a compliment!

I noticed that the people here talk really in depth (more than I could) about engine performance and other mechanical things with regard to the TSX, IS300, A4, 3-Series, etc. Even though a lot has been said on the TSX's beautiful interior, I don't think very much has been said about exterior design.

I think the TSX's exterior lines are beautifully conservative in general. I think the most critical element on the TSX (because it defines the car's identity and separates it from all other cars) are the taillights, which are tastefully and conservatively "radical." Those taillights mean everything to the TSX. Take them away and the TSX is just another nice looking but indistinct car on the market, much like the older TL was and the RL is.

This is in stark contrast to the IS300's rear end, which looks like it was designed by Chris Bangle's radical toddler son.

So I've read how a lot of people are really into the IS300 and that's all fine, what with its torquey engine, but I just couldn't help but wonder if these people grew up loving the AMC Pacer and other frogmobiles (Wait, they weren't even born at that time). Do they even realize that they look like they're driving a damn frog? Can you imagine a ricer in a decked out Pacer!

So what happened to the all-new TL? Honda-Acura sold its soul to the devil and got smart a little, I guess. Whereas Honda has always taken the lead on exterior design (e.g., the '92 civic hatchbacks, whose retro-wedge shape is copied 10 years later by the Ford Focus and Toyota Matrix), Acura has been a follower playing catch-up ever since Lexus began kicking its ass.

And this, I guess, is where the TL comes in. It's definitely going to sell. It's got the odd "American car" taillights that look like the Chrysler Sebring's and some of the older Pontiac cars. It has the vertical cut at the C-pillar just like the Nissan Maxima (Nissan is the Chevrolet of Japanese cars, afterall, and Americans buy Chevrolet. Hell, even Mitsubishi is copying the Maxima with its new Galant and Diamante, but Mitsubishi has always relied on copying other brands). The TL even has an aggressive front end, door wall embellishments, and wide-track stance just like the Pontiac wide-track Grand Prix.

Instead of relying on technology alone, Acura now understands it has to satisfy the American eye by dumbing things down a little bit when it comes to exterior design and becoming a follower, at least sometimes. Thank God Acura didn't turn the TL interior into a pimp car like the Nissan Maxima.

So Acura seems to be making a comeback with the MDX, RSX, TSX, and TL. I can't wait for an all-new RL. I don't care what Acura does; as long as Acura stays eye-to-eye with Lexus, then I'm happy.

What do you think, dnb?
Old 09-25-2003 | 04:47 PM
Instructor

SouthernCal- I agree that there are certain things on the RX that don't work (like it's back end), but I'd actually buy one.. Call me crazy, but I'm not alone. The RX330's just outsold the Ford explorers last month to become the USA's most popular SUV. 14,000 sold in August alone. The numbers don't lie.

Now, the IS. I'm 28, and I needed a car that looked like a 28 yr old professional drove it. The IS looks cartoonish to me.
Old 09-25-2003 | 04:51 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the compliment, Larchmont. And I'm not even sure that was a compliment!

Ever considered a job at Automobile magazine?
Old 09-25-2003 | 05:10 PM
More On

Originally posted by teombe
Ever considered a job at Automobile magazine?
Deep, that was deep!
Old 09-25-2003 | 05:21 PM
More On

Thanks for the compliment, Larchmont. And I'm not even sure that was a compliment!.....

So I've read how a lot of people are really into the IS300 and that's all fine, what with its torquey engine, but I just couldn't help but wonder if these people grew up loving the AMC Pacer and other frogmobiles.....
Yes, indeed it was!

Thanks for reminding me about the Pacer. I sort of considered it back in the '70's, actually test drove it. Wasn't my kind of car, but was "interesting."

But, funny how the memory can play tricks on us -- I had this image of the car in my mind as almost "spherical," kind of like a space module. But when I punched it up on google to check it out, the pictures didn't support that. I guess maybe it was kind of "spherical" in a relative sense -- I mean, compared to "normal" cars (and the pure dimensions do sort of support that). . Here's one pic -- looks almost normal (actually kinda like a Saab, if you consider that normal):

http://amcpacer.panhorst.net/images/...es/snortin.jpg

BTW -- Not too many of us on here like the IS300 all that much.
Old 09-25-2003 | 05:21 PM
Advanced

Any thought on my wheel/tire question? Everybody agree $28K is a good price for a 6spd navi?

Quick Reply: Deciding on a TSX vs IS300. options? Price?