Dealer Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealer Dilemma

I need some help in making a decision here.

I put down a deposit for an '04 TL in June. I had a great experience at the dealership with my Salesman. Let's call him Lenny at dealership A.

Less than a month later, I find out that Lenny no longer works at dealership A. I find out as a result of an inquiry about the TL. A sales manager responds to my request and says he will be handling my sale going forward. Great, no problem, right?!

Okay, so I call up about a week later with another inquiry. I find out that no one is assigned to my order. Hmm, what happened to the Sales Manager who was supposed to be handling my order?

Anyway, it gets assigned to someone. Let's call him Homer. Homer handles my inquiry. I'm still not too sure about this guy because he wasn't able to answer some questions I had about the TL.

So, just to check to see if someone is finally handling my order, I call back the next day. I ask a question to a random sales person and give my name. He answers my question. Great. Less than two mins. later Homer calls me back.

So today... two weeks after last speaking with Homer, I get a call from Lenny who now works at Acura dealership B. He says, there were some issues at Dealership A, so he and 6 other salesmen and 2 sales manager left. He says that the primary sales manager wants him to come back to Dealer A.

Anyway, he kept his client list and is contacting those whose orders he handled while at Dealer A. He says he can put an order in for an '04 TL for me at Dealer B today to be delievered by Oct. 7th.

I call Dealer A to cancel my deposit. They say they'll call me back to look it up. A sales manager calls back offering $1500 off of MSRP. I ask for it to be faxed to me. They fax a copy of my deposit order sheet and it says -$1500. There's a disclaimer, however, saying "subject to supply and availability".

Now, I tell Lenny, who is now at dealer b, what they are offering. He says they're doing it because it's personal. They're trying to keep his people from walking obviously. He doesn't offer a similar offer. He says that there's no way Acura is going to allow them to take anything off of MSRP when the car releases. He then says that it's up to me to decide which dealer I want to buy my TL from.

How would you all handle this situation? I like what dealer A is offering, but I think they're playing games. Especially with the disclaimer. And, my experience with them hasn't been all that steller since Lenny Left. I want a TL in the Oct. Allocation and this disclaimer leads me to believe that I might get screwed over.

Thoughts are appreciated!
Old 08-05-2003, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Try asking them to remove the disclaimer and fax it to you again. If all things were equal (i.e., the 1500 off is no advantage due to the disclaimer), I'd go with Lenny the guy you know and trust. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I called back and learned that the $1500 applies to the TL that I placed a deposit on, the one they ordered for me. It does not apply to one that happens to be sitting on the lot and I choose.

What do you all think?
Old 08-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Racer

hmm... well it seems like you're already given $1500 off of the new tl. i would stay w/ them if you trust them still. stay with A that is.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:47 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
First Lenny told a little white lie. If you go by the dates of the MOVE I posted, all the Oct. cars have been ordered. You can't just go and order cars anytime you want...follow me? The only way Lenny can come up with a car for you in Oct is if they had already order one of the same color and trim back when the first MOVE was on. Now with the 1,500.00 off MSRP. Make sure they are basing it on the sticker not after any dealer add ons. And it's signed by the GM not the sales manager. Because what if the sales manager is not working there in Oct. Managers and salespeople come and go GMs usually do not. Finally if everything checks out fax a copy of your order to Lenny and tell his dealership to match it. Heck we are talking about 1,500.00 not 150.00. Loyality can only go so far.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Racer

Re: Dealer Dilemma

Originally posted by VtecMW

Now, I tell Lenny, who is now at dealer b, what they are offering. He says they're doing it because it's personal. They're trying to keep his people from walking obviously. He doesn't offer a similar offer. He says that there's no way Acura is going to allow them to take anything off of MSRP when the car releases. He then says that it's up to me to decide which dealer I want to buy my TL from.

I think the whole line about Acura not letting them sell below MSRP is total BS. Acura has no say in how much the cars actually sell for.

I would go with whoever can get you a better deal. If the dealer will not remove the disclaimer from the paper then I would switch back to Lenny.

Just buy from Bill Anderson at Karen Radley.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Dealer Dilemma

Originally posted by ssm_tsx
I think the whole line about Acura not letting them sell below MSRP is total BS. Acura has no say in how much the cars actually sell for.
Ah but Acura exhibits great influence
Old 08-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Yeah, I don't think they're prohibited from selling below MSRP. I'm sure they don't want too many models to move below MSRP right when the car is releasaed. Here's a good example from Autospies.

Rumor: Is Infiniti slowing production on FX models?
We dig in

So here's the latest rumor from 008 in Japan...

Dear 001,

What does Nissan's big brass do, when an unruly Eastern US Infiniti dealer starts discounting one of their hottest new products, more than they want them to?

Headquarters tells the factory to slow down the production, so the dealer gets nervous and pushes margins back up, in fear that they won’t get enough units…

So prices go back up and consumers who were getting killer deals are left out in the cold.

And the SUV earns its name once again...FX, for too F_ _ _ _ _ G eXpensive!

Does this kind of stuff really happen out there?

What do you think?

Our sources say it's true...

Old 08-05-2003, 07:54 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by justinjsw
First Lenny told a little white lie. If you go by the dates of the MOVE I posted, all the Oct. cars have been ordered. You can't just go and order cars anytime you want...follow me? The only way Lenny can come up with a car for you in Oct is if they had already order one of the same color and trim back when the first MOVE was on. Now with the 1,500.00 off MSRP. Make sure they are basing it on the sticker not after any dealer add ons. And it's signed by the GM not the sales manager. Because what if the sales manager is not working there in Oct. Managers and salespeople come and go GMs usually do not. Finally if everything checks out fax a copy of your order to Lenny and tell his dealership to match it. Heck we are talking about 1,500.00 not 150.00. Loyality can only go so far.
Justin, thanks for the advice. I was a little suspicious when Lenny told me that he could place an order and have it in with the October allocation. I'm still confused about the whole ordering process. Are they ordering based on the deposits they've taken? What about specifics? Camel interior, HPT, 6MT, etc? how do they factor that in?

As far as the $1500, they faxed a copy of my deposit order. Under MSRP it says "-$1500.00". I assume take this with a grain of salt, because the real dealing will come when it's time to buy the car. The deal was given by the Sales Manager, not the GM.

I'm kind of taking the whole thing with a grain of salt right now. I don't want to get the runaround over this whole thing. I'm kind of expecting Dealer A to surprise me with some sort of stipulation, excuse, delay or add-in that I can't get around. I don't feel that I'll be getting much of an advantage with Dealer B either.

I suppose I'll stick it out with Dealer A and hope for the best. I don't want this to be an unpleasant buying experience.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd cross my fingers with Dealer A (with guarded optimism), but let's hope that they actually ordered that combo you wanted when they had the MOVE. Otherwise you'll be waiting on a locate or a dealer trade. As for the pricing issue: Acura does not tie us down when it comes to not selling the car for less than MSRP. For example, back when the TSX came out they did strictly advise dealers not to advertise any selling prices at anything below MSRP (for the first couple weeks). I'm imagining that they'll do the same for the TL. Like it was said above, they do have great "influence" on dealers when it comes to future ordering/allocation that may have dealers think wisely. Are you going to see dealers blowing these things out? No. Are you going to see any real deals in the first couple of months? Probably not. Acura knows that the TL has been their best selling car for a number of years now. Not only has it been a car that greatly meets the wants/needs of many, but it has done so with the great value that has our compeditors fearing the words "comparably equipped." We'll see how well this thing takes off once Acura lets the word out on the specs and we have published information 9/15/03. Then all hell breaks loose. Keep us posted.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:11 AM
SIN
Cruisin'

I guess I would go with the price of $1500 off. What about dealer C or D
Old 08-08-2003, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

One, is it a coincidence that you seem to be buying the car from the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant?

Aside from that, $1500 is a considerable discount! When I got my 99 TL and got a $700 discount, I was thrilled.

I want the new TL (six speed, HPT-Navi) pretty badly, but I will not pay list, even if that means waiting a few months.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I definitely have no plans to pay list after that offer, even if it means waiting a little while to buy a TL.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:18 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by kurt_bradley
I'd cross my fingers with Dealer A (with guarded optimism), but let's hope that they actually ordered that combo you wanted when they had the MOVE. Otherwise you'll be waiting on a locate or a dealer trade.
Can you clarify how this works? During the MOVE ordering/allocation process, do the dealers only specify color combos based on a) what its customers have requested when a deposit was placed b) What the dealer thinks will sell? c) Or, do they order based on what will be available from the factory?
Old 08-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
During this part, we basically have a number of cars that we can choose as specified by Acura. From this point we can pick out whatever combinations we want. Whether these are determined by customer preferences are at each dealers' choice. If a dealer feels that they have the supply being provided in excess of customer demand, they can order up what they feel will sell. We've only had 3 deposits given to us prior to the MOVE, so we placed those selections first. The rest were just cars that we felt would have no issues selling. There were a couple that we selected just to see how the HPT really does.