Crashed my TSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crashed my TSX

Not a pretty sight. Had a welding truck pull out on a red light right in front of me. Just coming off highway speed into a small town so I was down to about 60-70 kph (35-40 mph) and I drove right into the truck. Basically hit him right in the middle of my front end. Totally destroyed the front of the car right back to the motor.
Interesting point, the front air bags didn't go off. I intend to have this looked at by the dealer if the car is fixable. Still waiting for an estimate on the repairs.
Good news, no injuries at all to me and my wife except she is quite bruised from the seat belts.
This happened about 400 km from home so I won't be able to watch the repairs as they progress. Told the body shop to put some extra paint on the new front bumper and hood so they don't chip so easily.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:34 PM
TS-SEX

Ouch sorry to hear that bro... I got in a car accident with my 99 Civic EX Coupe where I rear ended someone on the freeway... he was at deap stop and I was changing lanes into his and couldn't see him ahead of me cause of the glaring sun... and bam... my air bags didn't deploy... probably because my car was lower than his and when I hit him my car went a little under his... F'ed up my bumper hood and windshield... the engine was still intact but was pushed down a bit... I think with Honda air bags won't deploy unless it was a direct impact... Was the truck higher that your tsx? Did you tsx push under the truck? Might have been the same situation as mines from before...
Old 06-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Cruisin'

The truck was a lot higher. I think I might have actually hit him right around the Acura emblem.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:51 PM
My Love & My Life

cars can be fixed and lives can't. sorry to hear about your accident, and glad to hear that you and your wife are okay.

btw, how did you run into the trunk? was it foggy or something?
Old 06-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Top notch 6MT

sorry to hear that man, but...

Old 06-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=JPL530i]cars can be fixed and lives can't. sorry to hear about your accident, and glad to hear that you and your wife are okay.

Absolutely correct, you can always replace a car but you can't replace a life. I had my car totalled 2 months ago, courtesy of a Soceer Mom in a brand new Lincoln Navigator driving me into the back of another suv. Rock - Hard Place with me in the middle. But on the plus side, it gave me the opportunity (and excuse) to buy a TSX.

Sorry about your accident, but glad you and your wife are none the worse for wear.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Racer

good to hear everyones ok....you should have told the tow truck company to transport the vehicle to a body shop near your house. Or you should have them deliver it to your house. You should definitely refuse to drive out 400km to pick up your car when it wasnt your fault. Anyways thats my
Old 06-12-2005, 10:13 PM
LOUD NOISES!!

glad to hear that everyone is ok, the car is replaceable you guys arent. Best wishes on a speedy recovery for your TSX
Old 06-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
First, glad you are ok.

Second, many of us have seen the incredible things that the TL will allow us to walk away from, but for some reason, only one or two bad TSX wrecks have posted pics. PLEASE put some pics up if you can.

Third, glad you are ok.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The most important thing is that you and your wife are OK.

I believe the car has to be moving at a certain speed before the airbags are armed. The are only supposed to deploy under the most dire circumstances. Perhaps the sensor determined that the seatbelts would be sufficient. Acura should definitely check to make sure that the airbags acted properly. You're not the first person to wonder about this. I've read at least a couple of posts where folks were wondering why the airbags didn't deploy.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
The most important thing is that you and your wife are OK.

I believe the car has to be moving at a certain speed before the airbags are armed. The are only supposed to deploy under the most dire circumstances. Perhaps the sensor determined that the seatbelts would be sufficient. Acura should definitely check to make sure that the airbags acted properly. You're not the first person to wonder about this. I've read at least a couple of posts where folks were wondering why the airbags didn't deploy.
Seatbelts should always be the primary restraint system and only in the worst case scenario should the airbags deploy. The fact that John in BC's car can still be repaired probably means he wasn't going fast enough for them to deploy.

This is a perfect lesson for those that don't wear their seatbelts because they think their airbags will save them. If he wasn't buckled in, he'd be through the windshield for sure.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I thought there were supposed to be deployed at anything over 8km/h? He was going 40, which in most circumstances, they should have gone off.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Quattro in.....

Glad to hear you and your wife are ok.

Keep us updated on the air bag issue.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I thought there were supposed to be deployed at anything over 8km/h? He was going 40, which in most circumstances, they should have gone off.
I'm pretty sure it's not dependant on speed, they're triggered by G force. 8km/h into a sack of feathers won't trigger them but head on into a concrete wall might.

I assume when he said he was driving at 40, he still would have applied some brakes before hitting the truck. In any case, it was probably borderline for them to go off. Generally if the car can be repaired, they probably won't go off.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Quattro in.....

Got this from the US Acura's website "dual-stage front airbags":

Originally Posted by Acura
In a low speed collision, a dual-stage inflator SRS system can reduce front air bag inflation speed and force by triggering the inflators in sequence. In higher speed collisions, both inflators operate simultaneously for full immediate inflation. The air bag system logic also controls the operation of pretensioners for both the shoulder belt and lap belt.

I wonder what they consider low speed?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
I'm pretty sure it's not dependant on speed, they're triggered by G force. 8km/h into a sack of feathers won't trigger them but head on into a concrete wall might.

I assume when he said he was driving at 40, he still would have applied some brakes before hitting the truck. In any case, it was probably borderline for them to go off. Generally if the car can be repaired, they probably won't go off.
it should be based on the -'ve G measured that indicates the car is in a frontal crash. If the -'ve G is greater, by some margin, than the normal braking/stopping -'ve G the car is able to do, the frontal crash is considered bad enough to deploy the airbags.

I think the 8km/h figure is related to the bumper's ability to stay in its shape in a crash of that speed. IMHO, 8km/h would be a bit too low for airbags to deploy...
Old 06-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you're ok! Sux that the TSeX is T recked! Why are yuo having the repairsm done so far away from your house? You should have the work done closer so you can check the progress of the repairs. Especially if there is major damages.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Banned

where is the pics