Courtesy Acura - Sanford, FL - Got screwed - what do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:58 AM
for EVER more!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Courtesy Acura - Sanford, FL - Got screwed - what do i do?

Hello my TSX'ers

I took my 2006 6MT with 37k mi to Courtesy Acura for an A1 Service. I also had the squeaky clutch some of you have mentioned. Thanks for letting me know this was warranty coverage, there was a TSB, and it would take care of the issue.

I asked them to take care of the clutch issue (Which they did at no charge).
Thursday I was driving back from Tampa (~120 mi) after no issues on the way there. Getting on to I-275, my gearbox got locked up and the clutch did nothing (no pressure).

After almost getting rearended at 60 mph by traffic behind me, inertia miraculously got me to a safe area of the highway. I was towed to Ferman Acura of Tampa, who told me the next morning that Courtesy did not:
a) put enough transmission fluid in after installing the new master cylinder
b) didn't put any fluid in
c) left a bubble in the line which worked its way into the cylinder

That's why i was almost killed. An oversight at the dealership. Fantastic.

So my question to you guys is...what should I do - I already told the surveryor that called after my service that they did a shoddy warranty service that caused me significant inconvenience and strife (I was stranded in Tampa for the night).

ALSO - could the engine/tranny be damaged because of this? i didnt MUSCLE the gears a lot, just a little when trying to figure out the problem. I couldn't get it in or out of first gear anyway...

WHAT SHOULD I ASK THEM FOR as a make good? I just got new tires and brakes from another dealer (tire rack/xtreemspeed and an independent installer)...i EXPECT the dealer to not make mistakes like this...
Old 08-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fix it at no charge ?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Well, I guess the first question would be, is Ferman going to fix it? Are they going to charge you? If so, I'd have Courtesy reimburse you for the repair. And minimally I'd have them reimburse you for the tow and any other expenses incurred with the overnight stay. And maybe see if they'll throw in an oil change coupon or two that are good at Fountain
Old 08-24-2008, 12:24 AM
resident asshole

sue them for half a mil

its an open and shut case....

hell i'd even want to charge them with attempted murder, but thats just me.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:42 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PittIsIt
Hello my TSX'ers

I took my 2006 6MT with 37k mi to Courtesy Acura for an A1 Service. I also had the squeaky clutch some of you have mentioned. Thanks for letting me know this was warranty coverage, there was a TSB, and it would take care of the issue....
PittIsIt - I also have the squeaky clutch problem but I can't find that TSB. Can you tell me where you find that TSB? Thx.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:19 PM
for EVER more!

Originally Posted by HI OFECR
Fix it at no charge ?
Ferman fixed it under warranty. (Fixing it meant putting in the fluid Courtesy forgot to)

I'm not litigious.

I will ask for some oil change coupons?
I can't really complain about financial burden...Acura roadside covered the tow 100%, Ferman covered "repair", and I stayed the night with a co-worker, so no rental car or hotel costs...

...and courtesy is probably reading this right now (hi) I just wanted to know what you all thought of my traumatic (at the time) experience...

...and on that squeaky TSB, run a search Moda knows about it i think... thats how i found out. I dont think they replace master cylinders cause they want to do people a favor, i think it was a problem.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow that sucks nuts I bought my 06 brand new there. I would try to get some free oil change coupons for a year or 2 at least!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Sounds like you are no cash out of pocket, but clearly inconvenienced. Difficult to know what to go ask them for since another Acura dealer made it right.

I might suggest challenging Courtesy about what they're going to do in order to ensure there was no damage to your car (another inspection maybe?). I don't think it's unreasonable to ask them for a 1 year 12,000 mile extended warranty past the factory - at the very least to cover the gearbox and tranny. Seems like what they did put your car at some long-term risk of an issue - they should provide you some cover. I think if they refuse, you can take your case higher up within Acura. Dealers don't usually want to mess with their reputations, especially when it comes to service.

I'd be careful of asking for other services (like half off your next service). In my experience, when dealers are asked to do that, they'll cut corners all over the place and give you a sub-standard service (or whatever you asked for).
Old 08-25-2008, 12:20 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
fuck that. You almost got killed!

Asking for free life time oil change, and fix everything back to way it should be.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Personally I would never ever do buisness with that dealership in any form ever again. I don't care if they gave me free oil changes for life, like someone mentioned I wouldn't want them to cut corners as another way to say F you for calling them out on THEIR screwup. If that dealership is worth anything I would expect the service manager or dealership manager to be apoligizing to you profusely and beg for your continued buisness.

If you really want to have some fun print up some posters/flyers with the experience you had(pics would make it even better) and go distributing them to customers waiting in the service dept.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
go to dealerrater.com and post your feelings about the dealer service there.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
fuck that. You almost got killed!

Asking for free life time oil change, and fix everything back to way it should be.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:00 AM
for EVER more!

they gave me 2 free oil changes and wash/wax.
They called and insisted an inspection to ensure there was no damage. I obliged. They blamed the problem on a faulty bleed machine that left an airpocket in the line that worked its way into the cylinder. any mech's know if that's legit?

As long as my car is ok, i'm not going to be a stinker
Old 08-31-2008, 08:45 PM
still plays with cars

Faulty bleed machine operator is my guess. From your original post you said not enough transmission fluid, but I'm betting they never touched the tranny fill level.
So that should be OK. The sloppy bleed job on the clutch master cylinder replacement was the extent of the troubles, right?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:02 AM
for EVER more!

NBTX: Yes sorry - I'm confusing MT fluid with the Master Cylinder. Nothing was wrong with the Tranny fluid, it was the cylinder that was the issue...

UPDATE: STILL HAVE A PROBLEM, in the morning, clutch travel is too easy, and clutch engages with 1 cm of travel (not good), then after about 3 mins and 7 or 8 shifts and clutch pumping, its normal. What is this a sign of???

HELP!?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:21 AM
still plays with cars

I think there's still a small air bubble in the system, it may improve with use. If this happens two days in a row, take it back to the dealer for another try at bleeding.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:24 PM
for EVER more!

Yes this only happens in the morning. I left it at the dealership to sit cold overnight. I have a 08 TL loaner so i'm good, but they want to feel the problem and insist they will keep it as long as they have to.

......OOOOK.....

So glad I'm still under warranty
Old 09-02-2008, 01:49 PM
it's a car-drive it

hopefully the problem will be resolved. Luckily I have no problems (knock-on-wood) with the clutch or anything else on my 06 tsx, bought new 11/17/06. It now has 58,000+miles.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:48 PM
for EVER more!

wow nj2pa2nc u drive a lot! i will be done with warranty by year end due to planned road trips, etc. I was just getting the clutch squeak done while i had some breathing room under warranty - now kind of regretting even complaining.
I did replace breaks with stoptech rotors due to warping - since i've done that, ride has been phenomonal. love my tsx, just want her back!!!

my new dash express gps is coming today and i want to install it! :-)
Old 09-03-2008, 05:37 AM
it's a car-drive it

wow nj2pa2nc u drive a lot! i will be done with warranty by year end due to planned road trips, etc. I was just getting the clutch squeak done while i had some breathing room under warranty - now kind of regretting even complaining.
I did replace breaks with stoptech rotors due to warping - since i've done that, ride has been phenomonal. love my tsx, just want her back!!!

my new dash express gps is coming today and i want to install it! :-)

You will definately love your tsx on your road trips. Went on two cross country ones in mine. May 07-nc to yellowtone and back covering 18 states (6,177 miles) and May 08-nc to ca and back (covering 20 states, 6,452 miles) I travel from nc to nj and back every few weeks (1,350+miles).
Old 09-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes this only happens in the morning. I left it at the dealership to sit cold overnight. I have a 08 TL loaner so i'm good, but they want to feel the problem and insist they will keep it as long as they have to.

......OOOOK.....

So glad I'm still under warranty
Sounds like they are doing what they can to a) take care of the problem and b) take care of you. So glad to hear it. We sometimes hear about all the bad things some dealers do, but not enough about the great service other dealers provide.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:17 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Sounds like they are doing what they can to a) take care of the problem and b) take care of you. So glad to hear it. We sometimes hear about all the bad things some dealers do, but not enough about the great service other dealers provide.
I totally agree with you. My dealer, as you know, is excellent.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Engineer Extraordinaire

Off topic.. but how do you like your Kensington LiquidAUX? I've been in the market for one for a while but I'm not sure how well it would fit on the TSX steering wheel, considering how many buttons are on there already for the

My current charger/aux-out worked on the 1st Gen iPhone but it turns out that the iPhone 3G doesn't support charging using the firewire pins (12V).
Old 09-04-2008, 09:39 AM
for EVER more!

I got the Liquid Aux (without stand) from amazon gold box for $40. I love it. I;ve had 3 or 4 integrated charger/aux in's but this one is by far the best. i love having the controller by my other stereo controls (on the wheel) so i dont have to take my eyes off the road to change songs. It also isnt very noticeable by others as being non stock, and the one wire install is so clean. It really is a good product. Only thing missing is the mini amp/ volume control some have, and there is a tiny bit of noise if you turn your stereo up to 40 and it's not plugged in (not shielded 100%) Overall, i give it a 4.5 out of 5.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:51 PM
for EVER more!

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I totally agree with you. My dealer, as you know, is excellent.
after 4 days with loaner and a completely re-replaced master cylinder assembly and clutch linkage, i have neither squeaks or leaks.

at least its done. out of warranty this would have been terrible.

almost at 40k. Rodney, Kathy and Brian did a good job of making sure it was fixed and i had a reliable car while i was waiting.

I really want to test a new 09 4wd TL
Old 09-11-2008, 03:08 PM
it's a car-drive it

after 4 days with loaner and a completely re-replaced master cylinder assembly and clutch linkage, i have neither squeaks or leaks.

at least its done. out of warranty this would have been terrible.

almost at 40k. Rodney, Kathy and Brian did a good job of making sure it was fixed and i had a reliable car while i was waiting.

I really want to test a new 09 4wd TL
glad to hear that. I am waiting for the tl-s with manual transmission.