Cops are so greedy

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cops are so greedy

Back in Nov. I got a speeding ticket driving my old Accord, but I really was my fault going 70 in a 50, but the cop SUV was unmarked expedition and didn't have any radar on and was tailgating me. So, I had to put up the speed, dumb mistake.

Ok then today on my way to work, I knew I should've done it, but there is this road where it is only a single lane, but opens to left turn lane and traffic was so back up, so I wanted to get to the left turn lane, and other cars in front of me do this all the time, I went over the yellow imaginary island, you know what i'm talking about and then i hear these sirens and dang, i couldn't believe it another cop. i told the cop, why do u have to stop me? he said that i shouldn't go over the yellow imaginary island to get to the left turn lane. i was so pissed, cause other drivers in front of me did it. he said don't be a lemming and follow. i'm thinking in my head, THESE COPS SUCK! it's annoying that they should respond to people getting shot, robbed, car accidents, holdups, and not minor traffic violations. They are the worst possible people out to get your money and be so greedy! I'm annoyed at cops right now.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Dude, that's gonna happen because some donkey SUV soccer mom will pull out in front of a Semi and SPLAT!!1 ...
Old 02-18-2004, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i feel u, yeah it sucks to be the one that gets nabbed...a few years ago i got a tix for speeding even tho there were 3 cars all in the same left lane going the same speed...cop mustve went after me coz i had an 'import' YMMV
Old 02-18-2004, 02:52 PM
ABP TSX

Get to know a traffic attorney on a first name basis. It is well worth the $55-100 you pay to beat the ticket even if you have to take DD or defer the ticket.

I agree with the above that imports are targeted, IMO. I know that officers have a tough job, but man, more often that not, they are complete dicks on the stop. Just treat me like a human and I will treat you the same way.

Just something interesting in Dallas . . . .
My traffic attorney told me that his firm just completed a study in Dallas for tickets and how often the officer shows up if you contest the ticket. The study concluded that over 85% of Dallas officers DO NOT show if you contest the ticket. It is a well known fact that Dallas officers have a paid day off if they have a traffic court date, and they still do not show. You know why, they are pissed at the Dallas mayor, Laura Miller. I will take those odds to beat the ticket. The Mayor has done some severe budget cuts and shortened their paid time off if they are injured on the job.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:41 PM
LOUD NOISES!!

Be easy on the Po-Po, they arent going after you personally, you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and they were just doing their job. Cops get a really bad rap for just trying to do what they are supposed to be doing.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by TSX CSI
Be easy on the Po-Po, they arent going after you personally, you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and they were just doing their job. Cops get a really bad rap for just trying to do what they are supposed to be doing.
i guess ur right, but i've never heard of anyone i know that got a ticket for crossing the yellow line island trying to avoid traffic jams to get to the left lane.

you think chief wiggum would be more kind and just give me a warning?
Old 02-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
i guess ur right, but i've never heard of anyone i know that got a ticket for crossing the yellow line island trying to avoid traffic jams to get to the left lane.

Well, the day before Christmas last year, I got a ticket for "improper turn" , basically doing what you were doing, except there wasn't even any special line and/or "island" of any kind, and I was in local street. All that just because I turned left from the middle lane, at a green left-turn light. And it costed me $90!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Yup, 10 more days until February is over. You just ran into a cop who was trying to meet his monthly ticket quota, they usually become more anal towards the end of the month.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree that the po-po are just doing their job. But it does suck that they pulled you for that of all things. I do it all the time, because I don't want to slow everybody else down behind me, or have to put my brakes on real hard from 60+ mph to make a sharp turn. Why are the stupid islands there anyway? They make you wait till the last few feet before you can get in! What the crap?? I feel you bro...

Slats (one eye always in the rearveiw mirror)
Old 02-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by phile
Yup, 10 more days until February is over. You just ran into a cop who was trying to meet his monthly ticket quota, they usually become more anal towards the end of the month.

They're not quotas, they're goals. Quotas are illegal.

Yeah, right.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:11 PM
LOUD NOISES!!

Hey I am not saying that all cops are dicks, i am just saying that i am not, and now that i am an owner i am going to pull over more TSX's just to see if they have any mods or ideas
Old 02-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I think you were in the wrong place at the wrong time...like I was...
A few years ago when my sister and I was heading to LA Int. Airport, we made a left turn out of a gas station and a cop pulled us over for crossing double solid yellow lines Good thing he gave us a verbal warning otherwise we could've missed our flight.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by TSX CSI
Hey I am not saying that all cops are dicks, i am just saying that i am not, and now that i am an owner i am going to pull over more TSX's just to see if they have any mods or ideas
I think I met you the other day. Why did you forget to ask me about mods?? Are you going to our court date next week? Please say no
Old 02-18-2004, 10:19 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

I have to add my two cents, albeit a little off topic. Sometimes cops are dicks and do make things personal. I got arrested for telling people in a bar to put out their cigarettes when the smoking cops were coming in. Cop was mad he didn't get to bust anyone for smoking, so guess who got a trip to jail. How can it be illegal to tell people to obey the law?
Old 02-18-2004, 10:38 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Cops are so greedy

Back in Nov. I got a speeding ticket driving my old Accord, but I really was my fault going 70 in a 50, but the cop SUV was unmarked expedition and didn't have any radar on and was tailgating me. So, I had to put up the speed, dumb mistake.

Ok then today on my way to work, I knew I should've done it, but there is this road where it is only a single lane, but opens to left turn lane and traffic was so back up, so I wanted to get to the left turn lane, and other cars in front of me do this all the time, I went over the yellow imaginary island, you know what i'm talking about and then i hear these sirens and dang, i couldn't believe it another cop. i told the cop, why do u have to stop me? he said that i shouldn't go over the yellow imaginary island to get to the left turn lane. i was so pissed, cause other drivers in front of me did it. he said don't be a lemming and follow. i'm thinking in my head, THESE COPS SUCK! it's annoying that they should respond to people getting shot, robbed, car accidents, holdups, and not minor traffic violations. They are the worst possible people out to get your money and be so greedy! I'm annoyed at cops right now.
Where in IL do you live?
Old 02-18-2004, 10:42 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by Ozzman
I have to add my two cents, albeit a little off topic. Sometimes cops are dicks and do make things personal. I got arrested for telling people in a bar to put out their cigarettes when the smoking cops were coming in. Cop was mad he didn't get to bust anyone for smoking, so guess who got a trip to jail. How can it be illegal to tell people to obey the law?
OMG that is just BS! Every time I see a cop hiding in the bushes, I always flick my headlights to warn oncoming drivers. Never got a ticket, let alone arrested, for doing that.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by gsclifton

My traffic attorney told me that his firm just completed a study in Dallas for tickets and how often the officer shows up if you contest the ticket. The study concluded that over 85% of Dallas officers DO NOT show if you contest the ticket.
This is definitely a YMMV situation. While on jury duty last week, I heard that if a cop doesn't show up for a contested ticket, the court date could get rescheduled 3 times before the ticket is dismissed. Pretty rough.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Race Director

Re: Re: Cops are so greedy

Originally posted by Jason
Where in IL do you live?
I'm from the Schaumburg, Arlington Heights area, but I got pulled over in Naperville, if you know where that is cause I was visiting a friend who goes to school there.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:51 AM
Banned

Originally posted by phile
OMG that is just BS! Every time I see a cop hiding in the bushes, I always flick my headlights to warn oncoming drivers. Never got a ticket, let alone arrested, for doing that.
This was an arrestable offense until last year. The US Supreme Court threw out a Texas motorist's obstruction of justice conviction on 1st Amendment grounds.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by Crazytree
This was an arrestable offense until last year. The US Supreme Court threw out a Texas motorist's obstruction of justice conviction on 1st Amendment grounds.
Wow, I did not know that.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:48 AM
6MT Snob

<<< lives in Naperville, IL.

Cops here are bored. In the 28 years I have been here (my whole life) I think there have been 5 murders total a couple rapes and some petty theft..

I give police in Chicago, or Aurora a lot of respect because, well they are actually putting their lives on the line every day. But Naperville? AFAIK not ONE Naperville cop has been shot/died in the line of duty.

But Naperville cops are fucking bored. So when you dont have an real crime, or anything to do but eat at Gematos you tend to take the only laws that do get broken on a regular basis in naperville, those being traffic, WAY too seriously.

BUT! they do have their good days.. I have been let off the hook 3 times by naperville cops, but I have also run into my share of inexcusable pricks. And to them I say

Get a lawyer, they should at least be able to get you supervision so they dont fuck you on your insurance.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:53 AM
6MT Snob

Oh, and for the record, shaumburgs finest are some dickheads too.. I used to have a Trans AM WS6 with tints on the doors and the jackass actually said when he pulled me over.. "well arent you lucky, its tinted window day!"

Which I said, I guess so.. But what I was thinking was.. You arrogant asshole! If you seriously gave a crap and wasnt just filling your quota you would be serious, but instead you are like, ha ha ha, I'm making you have a shitty day, ha ha ha...

Then of course in court I get to the hear the sob story about how some cop years ago walked up to a car with all tints and the guy rolled down the window and shot the cop dead. Ugh..

The other time I got pulled over for tint was in Mt Prospect.. got off with a warning on that one though..

Only gonna tint the rear three on my new ride f0h sh0
Old 02-19-2004, 08:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok... picture Eric Cartman... respect my authoritaaah!

I was 18 at the time. I was driving a CRX on a rainy day (the rain had stopped at this point) and my car was hydroplaning everywhere (lots of puddles). I'm going about 65 and I'm passing a mini van when all of a sudden there is a cruiser on my ass. I'm like wtf, back off dude. So now I can either back off the speed and get behind the mini van or go a little faster (risk getting a ticket) and pass the mini van. Well, the roads are wet (lots of water filled ruts), so I back off the accelerator (the right move) to get behind the minivan. All the while the cop was about 2 feet off my bumper (I was so pissed). So as he goes by me, I lay into the horn (big mistake). My girlfriend was like oh shit. So the dick head pulls me over... and the odd thing about this pull over is that he was in front of my car instead of behind. So the guy gets out with a "mounty" hat on, reflective chrome sun glasses, and a wooden match in his mouth. I kid you not. I was like... oh shit, I'm going to jail.

So I roll down my window and he just looks at me... doesn't say a word. So I said, why were you tailgating me? No response, he leans over and says. Do you want me to give you a ticket for disturbing the peace. I changed my tune... no sir officer, have a good day officers (mean while I'm thinking ASS FUCKING HOLE). So he walks away and drives off. Prick.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:09 AM
ABP TSX

Originally posted by DEVO
So I roll down my window and he just looks at me... doesn't say a word. So I said, why were you tailgating me? No response, he leans over and says. Do you want me to give you a ticket for disturbing the peace. I changed my tune... no sir officer, have a good day officers (mean while I'm thinking ASS FUCKING HOLE). So he walks away and drives off. Prick.

I cannot and do not dispute that officers of the law have a tough job, and I am sure they meet more than their share of ass-wipe people. However, I will treat them with the same respect OR sarcasm they present to me. It is that simple.

I have had a few ok experiences on traffic stops, but more likely than not, I have the attitude given to me. Perhaps that is part of the training as they never know what they are going to encounter on the stop, so be a dick to everyone. But hey, that is their chosen profession. I do not see anybody forcing them to carry the badge and gun.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Unfortunately...That's exactly what I feel that most cops are all about. They're fundamentally bullies with a badge.
They don't earn much and are very envious of those with nice cars.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:30 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've tried to fight 3 tickets (succeeded once). Redmond WA cops are notorious - too much time on hand, too little to do. (Seattle cops are a lot better - stopping the actual criminals.)
Here the judges decide the outcome. Cops don't have to show up. If the judge doesn't buy your story, tickets are just issued.
The last ticket i got was for not coming to a full stop when making a right turn at the red light.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DEVO
now that I'm law school... it is my wet dream to have a cop do this to me today. muahahahahaha
Old 02-19-2004, 07:21 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

Police are worse people than average citizens, they just don't get arrested for it.

From a news site, http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=1652016

"According to the National Center for Women and Policing at 40 percent of police officer families experience domestic violence compared to only 10 percent of families in general.

Another study indicates domestic violence is two to four times more common among police families than American families in general."

I don't care how stressful their job is. There is no excuse. Who is there to "serve and protect" the family members of these maniacal officers?

http://www.policedv.com/
Old 02-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Ozzman
Police are worse people than average citizens, they just don't get arrested for it.
this is what most of my law school professors have opined.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

hmmm... you've got me thinking that I should go to law school now ....
Old 02-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by gfxdave99
<<< lives in Naperville, IL.

Cops here are bored. In the 28 years I have been here (my whole life) I think there have been 5 murders total a couple rapes and some petty theft..

I give police in Chicago, or Aurora a lot of respect because, well they are actually putting their lives on the line every day. But Naperville? AFAIK not ONE Naperville cop has been shot/died in the line of duty.

But Naperville cops are fucking bored. So when you dont have an real crime, or anything to do but eat at Gematos you tend to take the only laws that do get broken on a regular basis in naperville, those being traffic, WAY too seriously.

BUT! they do have their good days.. I have been let off the hook 3 times by naperville cops, but I have also run into my share of inexcusable pricks. And to them I say

Get a lawyer, they should at least be able to get you supervision so they dont fuck you on your insurance.

you live in naperville gfxdave99? well, u guys have the yuppiest downtown scene i've ever seen right by that college. yeah isn't naperville near bolingbrook and aurora where there is a lot of crime?
Old 02-20-2004, 12:19 AM
Banned

WAYNE'S WORLD PARTY TIME EXCELENT WUOUOUOUOUUOUOUOUO!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2004, 01:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: Cops are so greedy

Actually, my old integra was crashed into by a lady driving an old Volvo 240 sedan because she chose to do exactly this, albeit not in traffic, but the insurance company blamed it on my even though she violated two different traffic laws (she was also driving 50+ mph in a 35mph zone) so I'm kinda annoyed when people do this. In your situation though, I must say that it was just a case of bad luck, but those people who cross into the imaginary island long before the left turn lane, even when there is no traffic, really irk me.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:03 AM
Pinky all stinky

I agree...and they almost always go over the yellow line and over onto your lane. Just like the dumb drivers in two lanes that make a left or right turn...the ones in the innermost lane always make the wide turn and go into your lane.