Converted my TSX back to Stock - Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converted my TSX back to Stock - Impressions

I just spent the last 4 hours stripping my car of everything. And wow was their a difference!

Handling:

I totally under estimated the amount of body roll adding coilovers, and especially the rear sway bar, reduced. I was capable of handling turns at a higher speed without having the car dip completely to one side. Weaving in and out of traffic I felt the car was very loose and lost most of the rigidity that the RSB, Cusco Strut and Lower Type I added. I'm so sad I never had a chance to autocross with all my goodies on. Hitting the same track would've probably shaved a good second or 2 off my time.

Comfort:

I was pleased (somewhat) to find that the stock ride comfort isn't that much of an improvement over my last setup. On the Buddyclubs I had the dampening set at 3 (on a scale of 15 where 15 is the stiffest) and the rears at 10. However for driving on crappy Chicago streets I did notice that the car didn't reflect every crack and bump on the ground. Maybe it's just my preference, but I don't mind stiffer suspension.

Performance and Appeal:

Stock ride height made me feel so sad. I'm able to fit my entire fist under the car now (before it was a 1 finger gap). Not to bash on those with stock ride height, but man it's ugly (definitely worth $200 for springs).

With out the Injen it's very silent. I was always under the impression that having that CAI was more psychologically fast on the butt dyno, after all it's less than a 5% increase in WHP. It did feel less responsive at WOT, as if the car should've hauled a bit faster than it normally did. The car was full of 4 people and all my mods in the trunk though. Too bad I had no before and after dyno going back to stock.

Conclusions:

If I could do it all over again and buy new parts I would say the three most important additions to this car are:

1. Adjustable Coilovers
2. Rear Sway Bar
3. Short Shifter & Heavier Knob

This car isn't fast by any means when thinking of straightline performance on a $30k car, making any modifications to I/H/E almost seems pointless in my opinion when you want big gains. You'll spend over $1000 for less than 15whp of performance. Granted it'll sound meaner, but when you're on a budget you can put your money elsewhere.

Having suspension adds to the drivability of the car. The TSX is great on the autoX and I would've loved taking advantage of the suspension. Its balance positions me very well against many of the other cars I was up against in my class. If I were to add more too the pure driving fun list for mods I'd say to throw in a lightened flywheel and pulleys.

It's great how what took probably over 10 hours of labor into my car was removed in under 4 hours. The right tools and second time around experience make installation and removal cake
Old 02-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
So what are you gonna do now, sell it? And if yes, what are you switching over to?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Unauthorized User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EuRTSX
So what are you gonna do now, sell it? And if yes, what are you switching over to?
He's trading it in for an S2000 I believe. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36358
Old 02-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Master Graphic Artist

^ Bingo!

Hopefully I'll be able to pick on up before summer. It was a pain parting it out though, I have to clean off layers of salt due to Chicago caking their streets white.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome!! Another TSX to S2k....but S2k mods are even MORE expensive!! damn...
Old 02-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Have camera, will travel

That is actually a great write-up, PH. Kind of a modding piece in reverse. We don't really get that perspective very often.

I can dig the disappointment in the wheel gap. I just installed some 225/45 17's today, and it killed what little gain in wheel gap I had gotten by intstalling the A-Spec suspension. Kinda bummed about it, but the tires are way better than OEM (PZero Nero M&S). Supposedly 225/45 and 215/50 are the same aspect ratio, but the difference is visible.

Look forward to your impressions of the S2K.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Have camera, will travel

That is actually a great write-up, PH. Kind of a modding piece in reverse. We don't really get that perspective very often.

I can dig the disappointment in the wheel gap. I just installed some 225/45 17's today, and it killed what little gain in wheel gap I had gotten by intstalling the A-Spec suspension. Kinda bummed about it, but the tires are way better than OEM (PZero Nero M&S). Supposedly 225/45 and 215/50 are the same aspect ratio (or negligibly different), but the difference is visible.

Look forward to your impressions of the S2K.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Advanced

good luck with the s2000