Cold weather front end squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold weather front end squeaking

Anyone else had this happen before? It sounds like a bag of marbles are in the the passenger side suspension. It doesn't happen when it's warm because I just remembered I had this same sound last winter.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:05 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's usually the upper control arm that does the squeaking, particularly 2 bushings on each control arm. You could try to loosen the bolts and grease them with the grease gun, just make sure you know the torque spec. or use silicon lube spray and hit the joints, bushings and mounts until squeaking stops.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Thanks, I will try and spray it all when I take the next time the wheels are off.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 AM
4th Gear

solved for me

Hey guys, I recently had extensive suspension work done on my 2007 TL Type S, due to me running over a curb.
My dealership/insurance replaced almost every suspension component imaginable on the driver front. It's all brand new now.
However, after a week or so i started hearing a loud squeak/creak every time id run over a speedbump, pull in a drive way, accelerate from a stop sign, even getting in the car my body weight would make it squeak. And it got louder with colder weather. Very very annoying.
I took it back to dealer and they couldnt hear it (yeah right). So i took it to a reputable mechanic here in Houston, and they solved it.......it was my CONTROL ARM. The NUT wasn't tight enough. After tightening it even more, all the squeaks went away!
Hope this helps, and at least it can be added to your checklist when troubleshooting.
btw, my car is 100% stock. no mods.