CNN Rates the TSX/Accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CNN Rates the TSX/Accord

CNN rates the Honda Accord and Acura TSX as the best family sedans in their class! Way to go Honda!

http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/b...x.html?cnn=yes
Old 02-09-2005, 01:28 PM
Jewdacris!!

Go tsx go!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually their sister company, money magazine

Best Family Sedan:
Honda Accord/Acura TSX Try Money Magazine Free »
The jewel-like TSX is simply the world's best under-$30,000 sedan, going head to head with rivals that cost thousands more. It's essentially an Accord-the version sold in Europe, smaller but more fun. Four-cylinder Accords, meanwhile, are well-stocked for under $20,000.

PERFORMANCE: Don't be fooled by the Acura's four cylinders and 200 hp: It's a serious sporting machine. And the Honda's low-key looks disguise its skillful handling.

DESIGN: Both cars boast refinement, and fit and finish that put some so-called luxury cars to shame.

HYBRID FEVER: It's pricey at $30,505, but the new hybrid Honda is the fastest and most fuel-efficient Accord.

RUNNER-UP: Mazda6

-Lawrence Ulrich, MONEY magazine
Old 02-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The jewel-like TSX is simply the world's best under-$30,000 sedan, going head to head with rivals that cost thousands more.
High praise indeed.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Instructor

I will disagree on the high praise part. Having lived with mine for about 10 months now - I'd say the execution is sub-par for Acura.

First it was the windshield which still makes some noise from time to time on cold nights - will go back to dealer again. There is an annoying click from center console every time I come to a stop or start I had to take the dealer's tech out myself before they acknowledged it. No it is not from the solenoid for the auto gear shift. There is an occassional noise from the passenger side door that I have yet to localize.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Drifting

i'm glad the review was good, unlike msn's:

and no, this wasn't chopped....
Old 02-09-2005, 04:44 PM
04 remembrance

As long as we know what we're driving
Old 02-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Instructor

since when was the tsx ever compared to 3 series bmw.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
What I like the most about that article is that there was not a single BMW in sight.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Thumbs down MSN Reviews

I agree w/ much of what they have to say but in reality, neither of them had anything all that negative to say so I am not sure why they scored it that low ... a 7?? 8 I can understand but not a 7.

Happy Year of the Cock!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by owkone
I will disagree on the high praise part. Having lived with mine for about 10 months now - I'd say the execution is sub-par for Acura.

First it was the windshield which still makes some noise from time to time on cold nights - will go back to dealer again. There is an annoying click from center console every time I come to a stop or start I had to take the dealer's tech out myself before they acknowledged it. No it is not from the solenoid for the auto gear shift. There is an occassional noise from the passenger side door that I have yet to localize.
Definition for nitpick: To be concerned with or find fault with insignificant details.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:24 PM
2*Much .NOT. Enough

Originally Posted by owkone

Ummmm, yesss, yesss, hmmmm, I agree. Acura is indeed plumeting in quality. Why, the other day, I found a speck of lint on my dashboard that they surely knew was there. And road dirt seems to get on the vehicle after just a few days of driving it in fookin' snowstorms blizzards and gully-washers. What a piece of crap this car is! I will never get another, unless they change everything to meet my demanding standards. Also, I can hear the motor sometimes if I rev it too high, and the gas mileage isn't the 3,459,982 mpg I expected to get from a 4-cylinder.

Seriously, and of course I am totally, like, ..., serious, I don't believe you can find another currently-offered vehicle with the TSX blend of virtues (Um, yesss, I said "virtues" didn't I?) for under $30K. Or even close to $30K. It ain't a BMW 3-series, for sure. I, for one, am thankful. I carpool. I know humans who, for some crazy reason, like to try to fit in the backseat, and have lofty expectations of actually getting in and out of the back seat, in, oh say, ... , an afternoon. Try that in a BMW 3-series.

Oh, durn, the TSX doesn't have rear-wheel drive. The logic that typically gets trotted out at this juncture: Rear-Wheel Drive = Good Handling Front-Wheel Drive = Sub-Par Handling, TSX + Front-Wheel Drive = Lessened Driving Experience.

My logic (and I do like BMWs): BMW = over-priced, and overrated by a long line of me-too-ist car journalists, afraid to step out-of-line with the consensus.

I remember reading in either C&D or R&T some years ago about the latest mid-level Mercedes sedan (perhaps an early E-series?). They raved! The PERFECT CAR! (excuse the exclamation marks, but emphasis required). This Mercedes was absolutely the perfect car. If memory serves me, and I'm guess-timating the figures, but you'll get the point:
0-60 ... about 8.5 seconds
60-0 ... 140-150 feet maybe
skidpad (200 ft?) ... 0.78g maybe
MPG ... could have been about 23-26
Price ... 50 large-ish

Yeah, that's the perfect car alright. Granted, some things are objective / quantitative and some things are more subjective. But, some things just ... don't ... add ... up. By the above standards, if you're a'drivin' a TSX, you're drivin' a car that's beyond perfection. And the rational amongst us realize that *that* isn't possible. Just as we realize that some minor flaws exist in everything.
Excepting perhaps Mira Sorvino. (Hen2 Hao3).
Old 02-10-2005, 01:24 AM
BusterPup Maniac

nagidizy, I was okay letting you like the TSX (especially since you probably got yours first), but I'm not sure about sharing Mira Sorvina, we may have to talk. But then there's always Jennifer Garner or Denise Richards, I could gracefully let Mira go for either of them. I think they would look quite good in my '05 pwp with parchment.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:11 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by humperdood
Acura TSX as the best family sedans in their class!

http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/b...x.html?cnn=yes
FAMILY SEDAN????
Old 02-10-2005, 05:07 AM
BusterPup Maniac

4 doors, seating for 5; the TSX is a family sedan....with benefits.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:46 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by nagidizy
Ummmm, yesss, yesss, hmmmm, I agree. Acura is indeed plumeting in quality. Why, the other day, I found a speck of lint on my dashboard that they surely knew was there. And road dirt seems to get on the vehicle after just a few days of driving it in fookin' snowstorms blizzards and gully-washers. What a piece of crap this car is! I will never get another, unless they change everything to meet my demanding standards. Also, I can hear the motor sometimes if I rev it too high, and the gas mileage isn't the 3,459,982 mpg I expected to get from a 4-cylinder.

Seriously, and of course I am totally, like, ..., serious, I don't believe you can find another currently-offered vehicle with the TSX blend of virtues (Um, yesss, I said "virtues" didn't I?) for under $30K. Or even close to $30K. It ain't a BMW 3-series, for sure. I, for one, am thankful. I carpool. I know humans who, for some crazy reason, like to try to fit in the backseat, and have lofty expectations of actually getting in and out of the back seat, in, oh say, ... , an afternoon. Try that in a BMW 3-series.

Oh, durn, the TSX doesn't have rear-wheel drive. The logic that typically gets trotted out at this juncture: Rear-Wheel Drive = Good Handling Front-Wheel Drive = Sub-Par Handling, TSX + Front-Wheel Drive = Lessened Driving Experience.

My logic (and I do like BMWs): BMW = over-priced, and overrated by a long line of me-too-ist car journalists, afraid to step out-of-line with the consensus.

I remember reading in either C&D or R&T some years ago about the latest mid-level Mercedes sedan (perhaps an early E-series?). They raved! The PERFECT CAR! (excuse the exclamation marks, but emphasis required). This Mercedes was absolutely the perfect car. If memory serves me, and I'm guess-timating the figures, but you'll get the point:
0-60 ... about 8.5 seconds
60-0 ... 140-150 feet maybe
skidpad (200 ft?) ... 0.78g maybe
MPG ... could have been about 23-26
Price ... 50 large-ish

Yeah, that's the perfect car alright. Granted, some things are objective / quantitative and some things are more subjective. But, some things just ... don't ... add ... up. By the above standards, if you're a'drivin' a TSX, you're drivin' a car that's beyond perfection. And the rational amongst us realize that *that* isn't possible. Just as we realize that some minor flaws exist in everything.
Excepting perhaps Mira Sorvino. (Hen2 Hao3).

Great post, I especially like the ending
Old 02-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by domn
Great post, I especially like the ending
And as soon as he figures out what is behind those beedy little red eyes staring at him, it WILL be perfect.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stuckthrotle
since when was the tsx ever compared to 3 series bmw.
I cross-shopped with a 325. To me, anyone that buys a current model 325 since the TSX came out is pretty silly, or at least a complete badge-snob. The TSX is a better overall package, even if it performs (one dimension of said package) at ~90%+ of the 325. But, again, that's just me....
Old 02-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Racer

Nagidizy, you're a scarcastic prick! Good, I'm not alone here then. heheh! I agree with you completely. The TSX is a great car. Sure it doesn't have turbo, it isn't 280 hp, but look at what you do get for your money. A very nice car, with many extras that you have to add on to the compairable sports sedan competition like Mercedes and BMW. These cars are in the 30's and at base price too. I bought my TSX 05 for $25500.

Also the artical lumps the Accord and TSX together. I think they are 2 diff cars. Atleast, here in the US it is. One is family sedan the other a luxury sport sedan.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Instructor

If I wanted to live with rattles and less than exemplenary service I would have bought a Ford or a Chevy. Acura prides itself on quality workmanship that is why I buy Acura. The Integra that I replaced was comparably better built than the TSX. Unless the customers complain the standrads will slip.

TSX was a stop gap until the new RL came along - after this experience I will think hard before jumping into the RL in 2006.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:07 AM
2*Much .NOT. Enough

Originally Posted by Texan
nagidizy, I was okay letting you like the TSX (especially since you probably got yours first), but I'm not sure about sharing Mira Sorvina, we may have to talk. But then there's always Jennifer Garner or Denise Richards, I could gracefully let Mira go for either of them. I think they would look quite good in my '05 pwp with parchment.
By all means, help yerself to Jennifer or Denise. Either would look mighty fine perched in the seat next to you, I'm sure. I was just afraid that you'd take Tyne Daly away from me! Now, that's a woman! Oh wait, I meant to say "Now, that's a woman?" I read where Mira got married recently; now that's a lucky man. Of course, I used to say that about Tim McGraw, too.

In further analyzing your post, however, I have become confused: either Jennifer Garner or Denise Richards would probably feel quite uncomfortable wrapped up in parchment whilst motoring around in your PWP TSX. Seeing as how it's wintertime, I'd recommend that you wrap them in comfy blankets or some such. There are perhaps other suggestions inherent here too, but us gentlemanly types will leave them unsaid ...