CNet humiliates TSX, again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roffles
Anyone who thinks this car is underpowered should probably be driving a different car. The fact is that it's plenty fast enough for a daily driver. It doesn't hurt that you can get 30+mpg on a freeway trip if you keep it to ~70mph. The new EPA rating for this car is actually 29mpg...but this is the fist 4-cyl I've ever driven that EASILY gets 30+mpg. My old Mazda3 had 160hp and weighed 500lbs less and it could never do better than 27mpg if you took it over 65mph.

The 5 speed SS auto is also nicer than what Acura/Honda has ever offered for automatic transmissions. 2nd gear is a little tall for my liking, but the gearing is perfect for highway cruising/passing and it has just the right power to back it up. My only real complaint is the tires and how they effect road noise and cornering performance.

I guess the 90% of the time you spend on the road after you are finished accelerating and shifting doesn't count for much in the goofy world of CNET...or a lot of other people on this forum for that matter.

well said.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by ex2k4
Im going to have to agree with Cnet. 200hp - 4banger for $28900 isn't the best deal. Sure, TSX is a nice car in many aspects keep in mind it came out 4 years ago.
Im not saying TSX is a bad car, but for the money there are better options. I wouldn't want to rev over 4k to feel some power. If you put TL engine in TSX, then story MAY change.
i disagree with you entirely. for the money, there are not many other options, and that's why the TSX excels in it's niche market. what other car can you get with these features for $28ish (including navi for the 2006, not sure what the 2007s are going for)?

you can get other cars around this price with more power, yes, but then you give up a ton of features. to get this car's features with more power, you have to spend around 5k or more.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by nullsetzero
I agree with the article... I have a 2007 AT and it wont get out of it's own way. Everything rattles and creaks. You could get killed trying to merge in traffic... unless you have a 5 mile acceleration lane. Mine will do 0 to 60 in about 15 minutes. The longer I drive it, the more I am convinced it's poorly made junk. I'm surprised its not made in Mexico.

i think this is a case of a defective driver.

seriously though, i've NEVER had an issue merging in traffic or accelerating, and i've done some pretty stupid things in the nyc area. plus, i've had no major issues with the quality and i've put 24,000 miles on my 2006. what planet are you from?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by joeybobo
That's what burns me up the most! The guy probably reset the MPG meter when he got the test car, and sat in stop and go traffic for an hr and then took a picture of the MPG guage. Yeah, that's a real accurate way to measure it's fuel economy! Any reviewer can make any subjective opinion you want, but that's just wrong to report factually incorrect information.
did you read the article?

14mpg in intense city driving isn't that bad, but i'm hardly ever that low and i drive around the manhattan area. when i have a lot of city driving i usually average out at around 22-24 mpg.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey stop knocking the 07 auto! i have that and no soccer moms are passing me on uphills. this car kicks butt! not even close to flooring it. i'm sure a mt would be more responsive but then again i'm not even using the sportshift to force more power. seems like it has plenty to spare to me.

for the record my last car was a 4cyl ford ranger pickup which sucked big time in the power dept.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
1. There are people that hate the car. There are people that hate every car.

2. Most commonly the people who complain the car is slow are people who own or try out automatics. Blame yourselves.

3. I love my 06 6MT TSX.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but if you base a car buying decision off what Cnet says you should be wearing a helmet and kept away from sharp objects. You just can't trust a trainable.
how much "faster" is the 6mt? i have the 2006auto tranny and i've had no issues. people that know how to drive can do fine with an automatic these days, as they have improved their shifting greatly in recent years.

i'd prefer a manual, but not everyone can buy a manual.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by ChrismanTSX
Wow... either you got both the worst TSX ever, or the best G35 that was ever made. I agree that the car is not very powerful (especially if you got the 5AT), but it is about balance... the G35 is a lot more fun to drive in a straight line, but the TSX is so much better in the twisties, IMHO. Also, the manual transmission is even more important on cars that are not extremely powerful. ATs sap power , resulting in lower HP at the wheels... MTs are more direct and make better use of the power, especially if you know how to shift...

This aside, are you sure you didn't mis-badge the two cars? You're the first person I've encountered who thinks that the '04 G35's interior is better quality and better assembled than the TSX. A number of us on this site have compared the two and ended up rating the G35 with the best interior for a Tupperware party... If your other car was a Lexus, I'd have no problem with the statement, as their interiors are top-notch... even the '07 G35 has a decent interior. But the previous-gen G35?

true true. my friend waited for the 07 g35 because he did not like the prior years' interior
Old 03-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by spoonfedhatch
the gearing on the 6speed tranny brings out the best in the "insignificant" 205hp K24 engine.

you bought the auto, so i can see why there's so much sand in your vagina...

as far as workmanship, this car is leaps and bounds more solid than my previous 350z coupe and 330ci bmw.....fit and finish is perfect.
funny thing is i always thought the infinity g felt too heavy so the power was inadequate for the car. don't get me wrong, i always thought it was a great car, but until the 2007 model, it always felt a little underpowered due to the weight of the car. that's my opinion at least.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:14 PM
I hate chomp...

Originally Posted by bosmet
hey stop knocking the 07 auto! i have that and no soccer moms are passing me on uphills. this car kicks butt! not even close to flooring it. i'm sure a mt would be more responsive but then again i'm not even using the sportshift to force more power. seems like it has plenty to spare to me.

for the record my last car was a 4cyl ford ranger pickup which sucked big time in the power dept.

That pretty much sums up why this car feels peppy to you lol

And yea, the MT is quite a bit different in response and overall power feel due to the fact that automatics tend to lose more HP to the wheels than manuals do.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I have to agree that it is a bit dated, still nice though. Go into infiniti's website and check out the G's navi...it's pretty slick looking
i've been in the g, it's nice, but ours is much better still. i think the owner of the g would agree also.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bradykp
i've been in the g, it's nice, but ours is much better still. i think the owner of the g would agree also.
I had to read this a couple of times... you mean just the nav unit.

I know someone with a G35 who drives kinda crazy, and the G35 has gobs of power to satisfy him. Power aside, I'd rather be in the TSX. I do agree that the TSX is a bit weak compared to some other cars; then again, you can find cars against which it compares nicely.

And yeah, the G35's interior is just not as solid-feeling as TSX. And I'm not a big fan of it's looks either. Gas mileage really stinks. I mean, what is really better about it? 265+ HP. And regardless of the weight, boy you can feel it.

I test-drove a G35 coupe (something like 290 HP?!), and it was impressive, but it really was too much power. I'm sure some of y'all have a problem with that statement, but really, I couldn't think of why I'd need to put that much power down. In the wet weather, it was a bit squirrelly for my tastes.

how much "faster" is the 6mt?
About a second, from what I recall. (0-60, although, maybe in the 1/4 too?) It goes a tad faster than that in sportshift mode. Even so, with the power boost in '06, I don't know that we've seen updated numbers. I bet it's not bad even with the auto. Just try not to drag race faster cars.

I dunno, the car just feels very responsive to me. I don't have a problem with the DBW that some others have. And I can shift quickly. MT all the way!
Old 03-09-2007, 01:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DC82
That pretty much sums up why this car feels peppy to you lol

And yea, the MT is quite a bit different in response and overall power feel due to the fact that automatics tend to lose more HP to the wheels than manuals do.
lol

i couldn't get myself to buy another mt after so many years of driving around san francisco hills with mt! my last 2 cars. i need a break and tsx is doing it with pizazz imo.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:45 AM
Instructor

i always thought my 06 TSX windows were rattly, but then i found out what true rattling was when i sat in my friends 06 G35C...that window was rattling like a ghetto subwoofer in a 30 year old oldsmobile
Old 03-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by vidgamer
I had to read this a couple of times... you mean just the nav unit.

I know someone with a G35 who drives kinda crazy, and the G35 has gobs of power to satisfy him. Power aside, I'd rather be in the TSX. I do agree that the TSX is a bit weak compared to some other cars; then again, you can find cars against which it compares nicely.

And yeah, the G35's interior is just not as solid-feeling as TSX. And I'm not a big fan of it's looks either. Gas mileage really stinks. I mean, what is really better about it? 265+ HP. And regardless of the weight, boy you can feel it.

I test-drove a G35 coupe (something like 290 HP?!), and it was impressive, but it really was too much power. I'm sure some of y'all have a problem with that statement, but really, I couldn't think of why I'd need to put that much power down. In the wet weather, it was a bit squirrelly for my tastes.

About a second, from what I recall. (0-60, although, maybe in the 1/4 too?) It goes a tad faster than that in sportshift mode. Even so, with the power boost in '06, I don't know that we've seen updated numbers. I bet it's not bad even with the auto. Just try not to drag race faster cars.

I dunno, the car just feels very responsive to me. I don't have a problem with the DBW that some others have. And I can shift quickly. MT all the way!
yes i meant just the navi, sorry.

the new g35 interior is much nicer than the prior years' and uses slightly nicer materials (the TSX leather will lose out to almost every other luxury line right now IMO). but i agree with you, i think the g35 just has too much power. if i was buying a car for power, i would not be buying a sedan, i'd buy a sports car.

my friend was saying yesterday he gets 17mpg in his g35, while i get close to 27 in my tsx on average, 24 on a bad tank!

i'm surprised that it's a 1 second difference between auto and manual. i'm happy with my auto (though i'd prefer to be driving a manual)
Old 03-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I hate chomp...

Originally Posted by bosmet
lol

i couldn't get myself to buy another mt after so many years of driving around san francisco hills with mt! my last 2 cars. i need a break and tsx is doing it with pizazz imo.
Theres no doubt the TSX does it with pizazz! I love the car, congrats on the purchase and glad your happy with it!