CNet humiliates TSX, again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
It's only valid in that it IS an opinion. The worth of the opinion, on the other hand, is crap. If a review on a car doesn't come from either an owner or a qualified tester, be it a good review or a bad one, I find it worthless.

The problem here is if they are using unqualified people to test one product it devalues the other reviews on the site. If someone from cnet wants to review the car they should put it on epinions or some other review site with no reference to cnet.
I think you missed my point:

Why does it matter what your car is reviewed at. You already own it and I'd assume you won't adapt your preference based on one column in an online magazine. Take it for what it's worth, fine, but just form your own opinions.

cheers
Old 03-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Im going to have to agree with Cnet. 200hp - 4banger for $28900 isn't the best deal. Sure, TSX is a nice car in many aspects keep in mind it came out 4 years ago.
Im not saying TSX is a bad car, but for the money there are better options. I wouldn't want to rev over 4k to feel some power. If you put TL engine in TSX, then story MAY change.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Anyone who thinks this car is underpowered should probably be driving a different car. The fact is that it's plenty fast enough for a daily driver. It doesn't hurt that you can get 30+mpg on a freeway trip if you keep it to ~70mph. The new EPA rating for this car is actually 29mpg...but this is the fist 4-cyl I've ever driven that EASILY gets 30+mpg. My old Mazda3 had 160hp and weighed 500lbs less and it could never do better than 27mpg if you took it over 65mph.

The 5 speed SS auto is also nicer than what Acura/Honda has ever offered for automatic transmissions. 2nd gear is a little tall for my liking, but the gearing is perfect for highway cruising/passing and it has just the right power to back it up. My only real complaint is the tires and how they effect road noise and cornering performance.

I guess the 90% of the time you spend on the road after you are finished accelerating and shifting doesn't count for much in the goofy world of CNET...or a lot of other people on this forum for that matter.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If they wanted to test it as a driver's car then they should have at least requested one with the 6mt.

I'll admit though the TSX is somewhat of a niche type car that not eveyone will be head over heels for. It's somewhat unorthodox (but classically Honda) to put a high-revving inline 4 cylinder into a 4-door sedan, so some folks will consider it "slow" when judged against the more typical engine type/size for this kind of car.

When Toyota started selling the original IS300 in North America, they only offered it with the 3.0 Inline 6, but the car orginally came with a high revving 2.0 (3SGE) when it sold in Japan. Toyota knew well enough the american press would bitch about that kind of engine in that kind of car. Honda just decided to be a little more "out there" with the TSX is all, and natually some people wont dig it.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:28 PM
08 MDX with Sports

cnet blah, check out IGN.com's old-review on mugen TSX they are sweet!!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Cruisin'

I agree with the article... I have a 2007 AT and it wont get out of it's own way. Everything rattles and creaks. You could get killed trying to merge in traffic... unless you have a 5 mile acceleration lane. Mine will do 0 to 60 in about 15 minutes. The longer I drive it, the more I am convinced it's poorly made junk. I'm surprised its not made in Mexico.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by badstsx
cnet can suck my right nut. I saw that picture of the 12.0 MPG. WTF is up with that. Did they forget to put 91 octane or maybe they just cant drive. All of the things that they said were bad I think are good. So anyways, they should leave it up to the proffessionals to rate these cars not some assholes that dont know anything about nothing

That's what burns me up the most! The guy probably reset the MPG meter when he got the test car, and sat in stop and go traffic for an hr and then took a picture of the MPG guage. Yeah, that's a real accurate way to measure it's fuel economy! Any reviewer can make any subjective opinion you want, but that's just wrong to report factually incorrect information.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
To put it eloquently, it ain't no big thing. One bad review by a website geared towards consumer technology than cars. About 3 years too late as well. I'm waiting for "Cat Fancy" to review the TSX next. Keep your fingers crossed for that 6.6 paw rating.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nullsetzero
I agree with the article... I have a 2007 AT and it wont get out of it's own way. Everything rattles and creaks. You could get killed trying to merge in traffic... unless you have a 5 mile acceleration lane. Mine will do 0 to 60 in about 15 minutes. The longer I drive it, the more I am convinced it's poorly made junk. I'm surprised its not made in Mexico.
I have a 2004 AT, with about 60,000 miles on it. Zero rattles and creaks. It feels lively around town and has more than enough pull for virtually any real world driving situation. Mine will do 0 to 60 in about 8.5 seconds. The longer I drive it, the more I am convinced that it was a great purchase. I'm surprised its not made in Munich.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by stevezilla
not to worry, Camry fans throw like girls.
/got yer back
ahahaha that was some good stuff steve
Old 03-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hrj
Haha Okay I Agree..

Maybe the CNET reviewer didn't know how to drive 6MT!!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:30 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nutz!!...CNET needs to remove in their category of reviewing cars. MSN auto does a better job in their review.

Clearly the CNET reviewer likes Audi...
Old 03-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Why did you buy the damn thing I guess is the only question. They have cool thing now where you can actually drive the car BEFORE you buy it
Old 03-06-2007, 01:31 PM
I hate chomp...

C-Net started out rating cars based on their technological aspect (gadgets, extras, new and innovative technology, etc). I guess they've gained confidence and moved on into rating them completely. But for all the people who are shitting on C-Net, get a life. I'm indifferent to C-Net but realize, if there was ONE fool-proof way to review and analyze products then guess what....there wouldn't be a million different comparison/analysis/review websites out there. So stop reading into it as if it was written as part of the Ten Commandments and passed down by Moses himself. And for those of you that get so hell bent outta shape when someone rips a TSX get over it. I read peoples responses to some criticims of TSX's and I could swear they are crying and or swallowing a bottle of Advil while writting back. A confident person/ product doesn't need to explain or appologize of every one of it's "deficiencies." When you actually respond to absurdities and criticisms by giving them the time of day and getting mad you are just buying into it yourself. It's like you're thinking exactly what they're telling you, you're just mad they're saying it. If you love your car, and know its the shit...then it matters not what others say. You take it as jealousy, or misinformation (or whatever the case may be) and you move on.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
I love MY car...doesn't matter what ANYBODY says about it..wether good or bad...nothing/nobody is perfect...doesn't bother me one bit when someone says anything negative about the car...I bought it cause I love it !!!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Banned

Uh huh. Did you test drive it? The Acura TSX is rated very high, I dont know one person the hates there tsx. Except for you. But maybe its just too much car for you.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:19 AM
6MT or Death

Uh huh. Did you test drive it? The Acura TSX is rated very high, I dont know one person the hates there tsx. Except for you. But maybe its just too much car for you.

1. There are people that hate the car. There are people that hate every car.

2. Most commonly the people who complain the car is slow are people who own or try out automatics. Blame yourselves.

3. I love my 06 6MT TSX.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but if you base a car buying decision off what Cnet says you should be wearing a helmet and kept away from sharp objects. You just can't trust a trainable.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Instructor

It may not be the fastest car in the world, but can't get out of its own way? Do only live on a race track or something? The car, even the AT, has more than enough power for merging into traffic IMO. I turn out from a dead stop onto a road that's 55 MPH in front of other cars everyday and I've never come close to being hit. It gets up to 55 just fine. And no I don't floor it, unless I want to.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:25 PM
I hate chomp...

The car is slow as shit. Unless you were driving a Chevy Astro before you will find this car slow. Can it manage on the road yes....that's where every car is made to do its job. Anyone who buys this car expecting a hot rod is a moron, that's why I find it funny that people complain so much about it being slow or underpowered. While it may be both, you as a consumer have the opportunity to read up on a car and test drive it before you buy it. I knew the car was slow before I bought it, and while i was test driving it. But I didn't buy this car so I could race moms in minivans that pass me going uphill,...I bought it because it's an overall awesome car and the quality/ features/ amenities per dollar are really hard to beat. I love it! But I still have something saved for the weekends.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Advanced

Most TSX sold are AT believe it or not. And word... DC82, well said.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Where did my garage go?

Originally Posted by DC82
The car is slow as shit... I knew the car was slow before I bought it, and while i was test driving it. But I didn't buy this car so I could race moms in minivans that pass me going uphill...
I noticed that the ATs were slow as hell during a test-drive. That was pretty much a deal-breaker for me. I'm glad I found a 6MT with low miles.. no longer will i suffer the indignity of being passed by a minivan whilst going uphill. I shall have my revenge! Mark my words, soccer moms. Mark them!
Old 03-07-2007, 04:27 PM
I hate chomp...

Talking

Originally Posted by stevezilla
I noticed that the ATs were slow as hell during a test-drive. That was pretty much a deal-breaker for me. I'm glad I found a 6MT with low miles.. no longer will i suffer the indignity of being passed by a minivan whilst going uphill. I shall have my revenge! Mark my words, soccer moms. Mark them!
lmao- yea I have 6MT also. So like you my friend...I too will have my glory day in the sun.....just depends on what minivan and how many kids she has.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Pro

+1
Old 03-07-2007, 11:05 PM
I hate chomp...

Ok who exactly is this car "too much car" for? A 13yr old that is used to riding a razor scooter?? Let's be serious. The car is safe, handles well and is slow. Who exactly is that "too much car for?" Stevie Wonder could drive a TSX and keep it in a lane.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Cruisin'

I drove the 6MT and the AT. I didn't see the point of shifting gears when you only have 205hp to begin with. It's pointless. I bought the car b/c I thought Honda/Acura was a solid car with good mileage. Neither has turned out to be true. I will be selling mine as soon as I get my down payment out of it. The material quality and workmanship is very poor- both inside and out. Try this, close either front door a little too hard and listen how thin the metal is... I'm afraid its going to dent just from closing it. I had to Velcro my radar detector to the windshield b/c it would bounce against the glass at idle! Not to mention driving. They've already done the seat TSB and stuffed some type of foam down in each side of my dashboard to try to stop it from rattling. Next appointment will be for the sunroof creaking because of body flex. This car is the Geo Metro of Honda. The only thing it has worth a damn are the HID's. Maybe I should put a couple of coffee cans on the exhaust and trick out my light bulbs... that'll help. This car is junk compared to my 04 g35 6MT.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Registered Car Nut

Wow... either you got both the worst TSX ever, or the best G35 that was ever made. I agree that the car is not very powerful (especially if you got the 5AT), but it is about balance... the G35 is a lot more fun to drive in a straight line, but the TSX is so much better in the twisties, IMHO. Also, the manual transmission is even more important on cars that are not extremely powerful. ATs sap power , resulting in lower HP at the wheels... MTs are more direct and make better use of the power, especially if you know how to shift...

This aside, are you sure you didn't mis-badge the two cars? You're the first person I've encountered who thinks that the '04 G35's interior is better quality and better assembled than the TSX. A number of us on this site have compared the two and ended up rating the G35 with the best interior for a Tupperware party... If your other car was a Lexus, I'd have no problem with the statement, as their interiors are top-notch... even the '07 G35 has a decent interior. But the previous-gen G35?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:24 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I drove the 6MT and the AT. I didn't see the point of shifting gears when you only have 205hp to begin with. It's pointless. I bought the car b/c I thought Honda/Acura was a solid car with good mileage. Neither has turned out to be true. I will be selling mine as soon as I get my down payment out of it. The material quality and workmanship is very poor- both inside and out. Try this, close either front door a little too hard and listen how thin the metal is... I'm afraid its going to dent just from closing it. I had to Velcro my radar detector to the windshield b/c it would bounce against the glass at idle! Not to mention driving. They've already done the seat TSB and stuffed some type of foam down in each side of my dashboard to try to stop it from rattling. Next appointment will be for the sunroof creaking because of body flex. This car is the Geo Metro of Honda. The only thing it has worth a damn are the HID's. Maybe I should put a couple of coffee cans on the exhaust and trick out my light bulbs... that'll help. This car is junk compared to my 04 g35 6MT.

Bye.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:07 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I respect Cnet reviews, I just don't like that they put a number rank to associate with a product. I mean, we want to hear your opinions, good or bad, but don't say how great a car is but then take off 2.3 point of a score because it doesn't have a comfortable seat for the tester. It seems like misguidance to me.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Instructor

wanna know why there's such a big discrepency??

THEY DROVE THE 07 AUTO!

if they had the pleasure of taking the 6speed, the review would have been much more different....

you'd be surprised how much a solid complimentary drivetrain will either make or break a car...
Old 03-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Instructor

the gearing on the 6speed tranny brings out the best in the "insignificant" 205hp K24 engine.

you bought the auto, so i can see why there's so much sand in your vagina...

as far as workmanship, this car is leaps and bounds more solid than my previous 350z coupe and 330ci bmw.....fit and finish is perfect.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Pro

I drive an '04 AT and it has plenty of power - never thought to myself "I need more power". *shrug* to each your own. Guess being 29 when I bought it means I don't need to feel like I'm racing people. Hmm. Then again, I never even felt that way as a teen....

The TSX has always done what I wanted when I wanted it done and I've always enjoyed it.

I've had a couple of dash/door rattles. Otherwise fit and finish have been flawless.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by subhradyuti
Gives it a so-so rating, and there are super-offensive comments like

"The TSX is boring in too many ways. "

"There is little driving excitement to be had with the Acura TSX."

WTF? I mean, TSX might be underpowered compared to Infiniti, might not have Mark Levinson like a Lexus, but this car is absolutely fun to drive! Boring? I'd really like to have some of the stuff the the reviewer was inhaling when he drove the TSX.

I sincerely wish CNet stops make fool of themselves, leave the automobiles alone and go back to their plasma TVs and laptops!

The whole review, for the masochists:
http://reviews.cnet.com/2007_Acura_T...-32329493.html

this just isn't true:

"Once you input a destination, you can search for places along your route, but you can't put in way points for places that are far off your route. Nor can you put in one destination, then add more after that one. So we had to select our first restaurant, go there, then select our second, and so forth."

i've added many waypoints, they don't have to be on your route, it just isn't as intuitive as it should be.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by hrj
They rated 8.0 for 2006 Acura TSX. http://reviews.cnet.com/2006_Acura_T...tag=prod.txt.1

With an addition of TMPS sensor, the rating falls to 6.6? They must be crazy.
i cant believe they said the navi screen is beginning to look dated. i get a dropped jaw for every new person that gets in my car. i wonder what they're comparing it to?
Old 03-08-2007, 01:14 PM
I hate chomp...

Originally Posted by subhradyuti
Gives it a so-so rating, and there are super-offensive comments like

"The TSX is boring in too many ways. "

"There is little driving excitement to be had with the Acura TSX."

WTF? I mean, TSX might be underpowered compared to Infiniti, might not have Mark Levinson like a Lexus, but this car is absolutely fun to drive! Boring? I'd really like to have some of the stuff the the reviewer was inhaling when he drove the TSX.

I sincerely wish CNet stops make fool of themselves, leave the automobiles alone and go back to their plasma TVs and laptops!

The whole review, for the masochists:
http://reviews.cnet.com/2007_Acura_T...-32329493.html

Umm...I dunno, I'm not Cheech, or Chong...call me crazy but wouldn't inhaling something make his car ride...more....fun...and less boring?
Old 03-08-2007, 01:42 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bradykp
i cant believe they said the navi screen is beginning to look dated. i get a dropped jaw for every new person that gets in my car. i wonder what they're comparing it to?
I have to agree that it is a bit dated, still nice though. Go into infiniti's website and check out the G's navi...it's pretty slick looking
Old 03-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by helraiser
exactly what ostrich said. cnet reviews are worthless at best. i checked them out when i was about to buy my tv. they knocked the samsung 50" plasma - HPS5053... well I've been in love with it since.

their computer soft/hardware reviews aren't that great either so I'd take their car reviews with a grain of salt!

their tv reviews have been pretty on target. same thing with gadgets.

we all like the TSX so we don't like the review, but it doesn't seem like they really considered "value" as part of the review, which many other car reviews do. if they did, i think it would have gotten a higher review.

while your samsung tv is a sweet tv, you'll find that a few places didn't give it very high reviews.

i went with a samsung lcd and love it, but it's got it's downfalls compared to some other models. everyone has different goals to fulfill when buying a product, and the same goes for people who review it. seems like this review of the TSX wasn't very objective though. but if the 2006 manual got an 8 and the 2007 auto got a 6.6, i'm not exactly surprised, as many people on this board separate the manual vs auto in the same way.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:08 PM
I hate chomp...

Originally Posted by bradykp
their tv reviews have been pretty on target. same thing with gadgets.

we all like the TSX so we don't like the review, but it doesn't seem like they really considered "value" as part of the review, which many other car reviews do. if they did, i think it would have gotten a higher review.

while your samsung tv is a sweet tv, you'll find that a few places didn't give it very high reviews.

i went with a samsung lcd and love it, but it's got it's downfalls compared to some other models. everyone has different goals to fulfill when buying a product, and the same goes for people who review it. seems like this review of the TSX wasn't very objective though. but if the 2006 manual got an 8 and the 2007 auto got a 6.6, i'm not exactly surprised, as many people on this board separate the manual vs auto in the same way.

Well put.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:18 PM
I hate chomp...

I actually like C-Net, but do I view their opinions as "the spoken word?" No, I read. From more than one source, which most people are too lazy to do. Cross-reference, compare, analyze. If you do all these things, you'd be happy with the best decision you could have possibly made, instead of whining about it like a little girl. A "review", is a fancy word for "opinion," take certain parts away from it and move on.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts

Listen to how thin that metal is when you close the door? Hah, hilarious. Sucks because that metals pretty much the only thing that would save your life in a life threatening situation. The doors closing on my car sounds like a air lock close. Go slam a door on a old Volvo and tell me that the TSX's door closing sound isn't smooth as butter. I would think people would realize these things from the get go from test driving their own cars, but apparently a lot of people who join this forum have buyers remorse from saying that the power's just too little for them and that the craftsmanship of the interior and exterior is just total ass when you had the chance to sit in one from the get go at a dealership.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
It's only valid in that it IS an opinion. The worth of the opinion, on the other hand, is crap. If a review on a car doesn't come from either an owner or a qualified tester, be it a good review or a bad one, I find it worthless.

The problem here is if they are using unqualified people to test one product it devalues the other reviews on the site. If someone from cnet wants to review the car they should put it on epinions or some other review site with no reference to cnet.

the problem is, they are reviewing it basically for technology, but issuing an opinion for an overall car:

Wayne Cunningham
Senior editor,
Car Tech

On the automotive beat, Wayne covers cars, portable navigation units, and car entertainment systems. His Car Tech coverage marks the latest area in a career spent writing about emerging technology. From early Web site coverage in 1995, through hardware, Web building technologies, and downloadable software, including antispyware technology, Wayne has always found subjects on the leading edge of technology.

Quick Reply: CNet humiliates TSX, again!