Clear Bra for the TSX

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra for the TSX

www.clearbra.com has precut kits available for the TSX and they are expensive! For anyone not familiar with it:
I believe it's a 3m product called "3M scotchcal" they are clear sheets that are applied using the same technique as windowtint except they are placed on the front end of the car. They claim to protect the paint from flying debris (small rocks and bugs). Coming from Bug City, USA I think I'm willing to gamble some of my money on this product. Besides it's virtually invisible and the OEM bra is just plain ugly. I've heard both pos/neg on this product including a difficult removal process, any opinions welcomed especially someone who has real life experiences with this product. By the way, if anyone is too lazy to visit the website it cost $259 just for the bumper kit! Headlight and hood kits are separate.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:23 AM
Racer

here...
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...=&threadid=524

and even here...
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...3&highlight=3m

please try a search next time. we just want to keep all the threads together. =)
Old 07-29-2003, 01:27 PM
Instructor

sorry
Old 07-29-2003, 08:27 PM
Beaver Believer

I think that a new thread would be good for this topic. Since I live on the west coast I don't think that I will be part of a group buy in eastern Canada.

I am interested in a clear bra and I would like to hear from others who have put this product on their cars. Is it something that anyone can put on or should it be professionally installed?

Joe D
Old 07-29-2003, 09:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by joedokes
Is it something that anyone can put on or should it be professionally installed?

Joe D
Preferably, it should be professionally installed, imo, you will be sure it is properly installed, and if something turns to shit, you have someone to blame for.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:42 PM
Racer

This is something I've thought about doing to my last couple cars, but never have. What does the clear bra look like after a couple years and it's taken the abuse that the car would have? Does it have cuts or gashes from rock hits or does it stay intact without damage?
Old 07-29-2003, 11:26 PM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by Bear Trap
This is something I've thought about doing to my last couple cars, but never have. What does the clear bra look like after a couple years and it's taken the abuse that the car would have? Does it have cuts or gashes from rock hits or does it stay intact without damage?
Hello-

While I don't have experience w/ clearbra, I do have experience w/ a product called "Stongard". It's the same basic thing. My father has had it put on four vehicles and it holds up great. Yes, the stuff does gash--rocks won't just bounce off of the product. But when you do get a gash it doesn't look bad--it's only large(r) rocks that make a mark. I think most paint chips on the hood are from small rocks and this product does an excellent job at preventing those small chips on your paint.

Click Here for Stongard

SPUDMTN
Old 07-30-2003, 08:29 AM
Instructor

I just ordered the Bumper kit just need someone to install it. judging from the web site...and installation info, I don't think I can do it. I'll post followup opinions once installed.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

hey tsx007

did you order the one from clearbra.com?
Old 08-03-2003, 01:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Other websites with clear bra for TSX?
I serached the forums and could only come up with two websites from which the clear bras seem to be sold from.

www.chipguard.com

and

www.clearbra.com

Does anyone know of any other sites that offer a TSX clear bra kit? Or has anyone ordered the kit from chipguard and can offer any opinions, suggestions, etc?

I came upon a couple of group buys but they are all in areas which im not located in.

http://www.acurainspired.com/galler...r01&id=P6141338

I came across this album at acura inspired and the owner mentions that he has installed a clear bra. You cannot see it in the picture. I wanted to ask the owner what kind of kit it was, where he got it, etc. BUT i cannot PM or email on this site ( i dunno why). Does anyone know the owner of this TSX? The user name is SELK.

any help would be appreciated

im tired of paint chips ( on my 4runner ) and i dont want them to get on the TSX
Old 08-19-2003, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have clearbra on my TSX, just click link on this thread to check it out

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=1773

i paid $379 (incl installation) for front bumper, hood, fender and mirror kits. i found my dealer at www.xpel.com.

the weird thing is the kits cost $259.95 (bumper kit) and $209.95(hood, fender, and mirror kit) on the site. i think it's cheaper to have it installed since the installer cuts the kits as opposed to precut.

you should call around as some installers offer to completely replace the clearbra if you are not completely satified with it. my clearbra also came with a 4yr $1k warranty if any rocks, bug acid, etc penetrate the clearbra
Old 08-19-2003, 10:27 PM
Acura Fan

Ever wonder why it's call a car bra? It's not for supporting anything, just protecting. Maybe car condom sound better?
Old 08-20-2003, 03:24 AM
2nd Gear

Originally posted by Bear Trap
This film is energy absorbant and will not cut or tear, take a look at this pic to get an idea of how tough it is.
If anyone has any questions about paint protection film feel free to drop us a line
Jeremy
Invisaguard@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-20-2003, 03:26 AM
2nd Gear

Originally posted by TSX007
I just ordered the Bumper kit just need someone to install it. judging from the web site...and installation info, I don't think I can do it. I'll post followup opinions once installed.
In NY get a hold of Thomas at Seconday Exposure(se-ex.com) he is an excellent installer and very reasonably priced, tell him Jeremy from Invisaguard sent you, he'll take care of you
Old 08-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

I just had it applied to my baby. Now I feel so much safer when driving around. Especially with an Alberta winter not far off on the horizon.

Installed it was $269CDN - included hood, fenders and the mirrors. When I inquired about a kit to do my front splash guards, he gave me enough 3M material to do all four guards at least twice for no charge! Dead easy to install - dry or wet. I can post some pictures later this weekend...

BTW, check out www.xpel.com (under "shop") for pics of the pre-cut kits...
Old 08-29-2003, 11:23 PM
such a dirty birdy

CopperTop, who did the installation? Did you buy the kit and install it yourself or have it done? $269 seems a reasonable price, esp if it includes installation.

And do you mean you put the film on the black plastic mud guards too? Why? I wouldn't think they'd get damaged much at all. But hey, free is good...
Old 08-31-2003, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

i just got 3M clearbra installed on my mirrors, hood, and front fenders, i also got the whole car tinted 15%.
i got a hookup on the install it only cost me 275 bucks out the door which is about 1/2 the normal price