Changed TSX Specs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 09:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed TSX Specs.

I just picked up a new TSX brochure at a local dealer, and although I haven't compared it to the old one line-by-line, there are some differences.

For starters, the turning circle got smaller and the gas mileage got better!

Steve
Old 08-13-2003, 09:24 AM
wiz
Pro

I'm heading to the dealership today to get my oil changed...I'll pick one up and compare it to the old one side by side...if I can find the old one.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:35 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Re: Changed TSX Specs.

Originally posted by clsteve
I just picked up a new TSX brochure at a local dealer, and although I haven't compared it to the old one line-by-line, there are some differences.

For starters, the turning circle got smaller and the gas mileage got better!

Steve
Well, the first brochure I had claimed a 20 foot turning circle. They even had some sales literature showing how "good" this was compared to other cars, when they were comparing the radius of the TSX circle to the diameter of the others.

This has always been one of my beefs with newer Acuras -- the turning circle is too large. This makes it difficult to parallel park, do U-turns, etc.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double wishbone suspension-equipped cars never have the tightest of turning circles. That's not their intent. Their purpose is to have a smoother transition through turns with less body roll and a higher use of contact patch (that's a great safety feature too). They may not pull the tightest diameters in turning circles, but they do have fine transitions through their cornering response. They handle well in tighter turns, but don't have to make a great U-turn to have good handling characteristics. Another trait of the TSX that leads to its larger diameter in the turning circle is the fact that it has wide tires for a car of its size. Not many cars in this class come standard with 215/50/17s. The A4 comes with 205/65/15s in it's standard trim, and you have to upgrade to the Sport package to get 235/45/17s thrown in (at a $1000 premium). Don't get me started on the tires. Yes, I would get rid of the stock TSX tires in a hurry to get a set of 225/45/17s (maybe in a set of Yoko ES100s). I don't need all-season tires.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:06 AM
Cruisin'

The turning diameter is now 38.1 ft (vs. 40 ft.) and the mileage is now 22/29 (stick) and 23/32 (auto.). Is the stick that much faster (lower geared) or is the auto. just better??
Old 08-13-2003, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

The turning diameter is now 38.1 ft (vs. 40 ft.) and the mileage is now 22/29 (stick) and 23/32 (auto.). Is the stick that much faster (lower geared) or is the auto. just better??
23/32 have always been the numbers on the auto TSX window sticker, so I guess they are just adjusting the brochure to match the sticker.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that 40ft was a bogus number. It's funny, b/c the TSX always felt like a smaller turning diameter than my CL-S, which has a circle of 39.4 ft.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

yeah.. I actually think my TSX has a smaller turning circle than my Integra, but not really sure.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:53 AM
More On

Originally posted by Jason
I thought that 40ft was a bogus number. It's funny, b/c the TSX always felt like a smaller turning diameter than my CL-S, which has a circle of 39.4 ft.
Me2, Me2.

From the start, I have had no doubt whatsoever that TSX's turning circle is better than TL and TL-S. I didn't understand the official number on the TSX and didn't worry about it. I figured either something was wrong on the official figures, or else they didn't mean what I thought they meant.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:59 AM
More On

Data are funny sometimes.

Wanna see something funny? Look what Consumer Guide gave for the width of the Mini in the first version of its 2003 guide -- 75.8". That would be wider than the Honda Odyssey.

They repeat the error in the "updated" edition.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:04 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Well, all I know is I deliberately attempted U-turn in a confined space in the Acura dealership parking lot that I could not complete in the TSX.

I repeated the test in my own car (32.8 ft turning circle) and cleared it with what appeared to be more than 6 feet to spare.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

It's the gearing.

No vehicle on this planet has a bigger turning radius than the 1st gen CL (at least that's what it feels like). :P
Old 08-13-2003, 11:27 AM
wiz
Pro

Ok, I went to the dealer and got my oil changed, but forgot to go get the brochure...mah bad.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:30 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,834 Likes on 2,576 Posts
Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
It's the gearing.

No vehicle on this planet has a bigger turning radius than the 1st gen CL (at least that's what it feels like). :P
Hey my turning radius isnt that large. Christ if you know how to drive your car and take a good tight conttolled turn you wont have any problems.

Im not knocking on anyone here, but I know the limits of my cars and i can take tight ass turns in it. And ive been surprised of people who claim the turn radius in the tsx is really wide, cause when i had my loaner i took sweet really sweet tight turns in that car ( you just have to have the VSA OFF)

You want a car with the turning radius of a boat that shouldnt be check out the newer eclipses.

Again not knocking anyone here, just know the limits of my car.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by sarlacc23
Hey my turning radius isnt that large. Christ if you know how to drive your car and take a good tight conttolled turn you wont have any problems.

Im not knocking on anyone here, but I know the limits of my cars and i can take tight ass turns in it. And ive been surprised of people who claim the turn radius in the tsx is really wide, cause when i had my loaner i took sweet really sweet tight turns in that car ( you just have to have the VSA OFF)

You want a car with the turning radius of a boat that shouldnt be check out the newer eclipses.

Again not knocking anyone here, just know the limits of my car.
I don't think they are not talking about tight turns, but rather U-turns on narrow streets.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:14 PM
The Third Ball

i still say say it isnt that bad
Old 08-13-2003, 01:24 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

i still say say it isnt that bad
Well, let's put it this way. Name a car that the TSX is intended to compete against that has a larger turning circle.

Is there even one?
Old 08-13-2003, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey my turning radius isnt that large. Christ if you know how to drive your car and take a good tight conttolled turn you wont have any problems.....
The CL I'm referring to is a '97 which has been in my family since late '96. Maybe they fixed the problem when they changed from 2.2 to 2.3 liter four.

All i know is, when i turn that car's steering wheel until it locks, the car does not turn as much as i'd like it to. No one's bashing the CL. Relax!
Old 08-13-2003, 02:10 PM
The Third Ball

im relaxed, just playing a little, should have thrown a smiley in there.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:11 PM
The Third Ball

Sides im bashing my CL id much rather have a tsx
Old 08-13-2003, 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by rb1
Well, let's put it this way. Name a car that the TSX is intended to compete against that has a larger turning circle.

Is there even one?
Let's put it in another way, it's not a performance issue, just convenience.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:38 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by rzee
Let's put it in another way, it's not a performance issue, just convenience.
Not being able to turn around at an intersection or park in a particular parking spot might be a matter of "convenience" to some, but I put this squarely in the "performance" category.

The TSX is actually unable to do something in some cases that most other similar sized cars can do, in some cases easily. Even when it can, it can be more difficult and take longer to do.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by rb1
Not being able to turn around at an intersection or park in a particular parking spot might be a matter of "convenience" to some, but I put this squarely in the "performance" category.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:51 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by rb1

The TSX is actually unable to do something in some cases that most other similar sized cars can do, in some cases easily. Even when it can, it can be more difficult and take longer to do.
You know I put this in the "driver" category.

Its like people who blame computers on everything when its really just user error. Its not like your driving around a ford F350 duelie here. Its a freaking tsx and its quite simple to drive and makes u turns and parks quite easily.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:16 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

You guys crack me up. The car literally has the worst turning circle in its class and you still defend this aspect of it...

I just want them to make it better, that's all.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by rb1
You guys crack me up. The car literally has the worst turning circle in its class and you still defend this aspect of it...

I just want them to make it better, that's all.
Nobody is saying that it has a small turning circle. But the fact that you are making a big deal out of this and calling it a performance issue and that it's stopping you from performing your basic daily routine is just mind boggling!

Old 08-13-2003, 03:43 PM
A-TSX Newbie, my ass

I'm with you on this, rb1.

I don't where these other people are driving (u-turns) or parking -- or whether they are so adept that they can just clear obstacles by mere inches -- but the turning circle in this car is inordinately large. There are times when that bites one squarely in one's ass.

When I test drove TSX this past weekend, I could feel the larger turning circle of TSX versus my A4... ended up 3-point turning; maybe I did not have to, but I'd prefer to clear obstacles by feet rather than inches.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:50 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by rzee
Nobody is saying that it has a small turning circle. But the fact that you are making a big deal out of this and calling it a performance issue and that it's stopping you from performing your basic daily routine is just mind boggling!

Laugh all you want. The TSX cannot complete a U-turn on a standard 5 lane road (two lanes each way with a continous center left turn lane) from the center lane. Not even close.

My car can, easily, and I have to do this several times each week. So yes, it is a big deal.

"Make a U-turn at intersection X unless you're driving a TSX, otherwise drive another 1/2 mile and turn left into the Store Y parking lot, turn around in the parking lot, then turn right..."
Old 08-13-2003, 03:56 PM
Audi Driving Snob

handling at speed and turning radius are trade off...i'm fine with the turning radius as is. I've never had an issue turning at a signal marked as U turns allowed so I can't complain too much. I have made a u-turn across just two lanes by going into the bike lane a bit. At the time I was thinking I wouldn't make it with all the talk of the large turning radius but it made it just fine. Maybe the roads are wider out here in so cal or something.....
Old 08-13-2003, 03:59 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by rb1
Laugh all you want. The TSX cannot complete a U-turn on a standard 5 lane road (two lanes each way with a continous center left turn lane) from the center lane. Not even close.

My car can, easily, and I have to do this several times each week. So yes, it is a big deal.

"Make a U-turn at intersection X unless you're driving a TSX, otherwise drive another 1/2 mile and turn left into the Store Y parking lot, turn around in the parking lot, then turn right..."
Im glad your bicycle can make such a tight turn, but it still sounds like you need to take some driving lessons.

Give me a break, you make it sound like the tsx is a 25 foot truck. If you cant deal with it so much then dont buy it, or if you did buy then get rid of it and quit bitching. Go buy yourself a miata and get all the turning radius you want. Theyll be more sympathetic to your "turning" needs.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:01 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by TinkySD
handling at speed and turning radius are trade off...i'm fine with the turning radius as is. I've never had an issue turning at a signal marked as U turns allowed so I can't complain too much. I have made a u-turn across just two lanes by going into the bike lane a bit. At the time I was thinking I wouldn't make it with all the talk of the large turning radius but it made it just fine. Maybe the roads are wider out here in so cal or something.....
Nope roads out here arent wider by any stretch, you just know how to actually drive the car.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:13 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Im glad your bicycle can make such a tight turn, but it still sounds like you need to take some driving lessons.

Give me a break, you make it sound like the tsx is a 25 foot truck. If you cant deal with it so much then dont buy it, or if you did buy then get rid of it and quit bitching. Go buy yourself a miata and get all the turning radius you want. Theyll be more sympathetic to your "turning" needs.
Ad hominem aside, this has nothing to do with one's driving skills.

And speaking of trucks, the TSX turning circle is in the same league with the Toyota Land Cruiser (39.7 feet). A Honda Element, by the way, has a 34.9 foot turning circle.

I don't buy the trade-off with handling at speed, as the BMW 3-Series has one of the best turning circles in its class (and before you bring RWD into it, lot's of FWD cars have similar turning circles)
Old 08-13-2003, 04:19 PM
The Third Ball

It does have to do with driving skills. its what you can do with turning radius you have that counts. Sure the tsx has no where near the turn radius of my former 89 lude, but i can sure make it fake like it does. I have also been driving hondas for a number of years now and know what i can get away in them. its all about skills, sorry.

EDIT: and you cant bring bimmer into this cause ive owned those too and they truly are the ultimate driving machine. You cant compare how they handle to most other cars. Hell the new 745iL cant has a tighter radius then most cars smaller then it is.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:35 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

its all about skills, sorry.
Explain it to me then.

You want to make a U-turn from a left lane somewhere. A car with a turning circle of 34 feet or less will clear the opposite by simply turning the wheel as far it as it will go and making the turn. The space is still tight so even this car has to stay to the right side of its lane in order to make the turn.

There are cars/traffic to your right, so you can't intrude on the lane to your right to make the turn.

Please explain what "skills" will permit you to make a U-turn without hitting the curb.

(Note, I'm not interested in solutions which involve spinning out on your front tires or 3-point turns)
Old 08-13-2003, 04:38 PM
The Third Ball

Dont know how to explain i just do it, and i dont have any problems. And I drive a Cl which swings much wider.

I can tell you I know where wheels are on the road at all times and that helps greatly to know what your car can and cant do.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:44 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Dont know how to explain i just do it, and i dont have any problems. And I drive a Cl which swings much wider.

I can tell you I know where wheels are on the road at all times and that helps greatly to know what your car can and cant do.

(sarlacc23 hits the curb in this case... )
Old 08-13-2003, 04:46 PM
The Third Ball

Sorry, never curbed out. Like i said i know how to drive my cars.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:10 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Sorry, never curbed out. Like i said i know how to drive my cars.
Then you have NEVER made a U-turn in a space less than the turning circle of your car without sliding your tires.

Fact. Plain and simple.

(Your broad, unsubstantiated generalities and veiled insults notwithstanding)
Old 08-13-2003, 05:16 PM
The Third Ball

Ive hardly thrown out any insults and kept this little back and forth pretty clean and mature. And yes. living in LA i make a lot of U turns and make them within the space of my turning circle. As i said i know where my wheels are at all times. and no i dont slide my tires ( not on U-turns anyway )

I'll say it one last time, I just know how to drive my car, where my tires are and how much room i need. Never had a problem, well maybe one time, everyone misjudges once in a blue moon.

So give it up already. I am.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:21 PM
Audi Driving Snob

handling(especially at higher speeds) and turning are no doubt related. There are different suspension geometries best suited for making low radius turns and handling stably and predictably RWD machines can't really be compared as all the FWD plumbing has an effect. The a4 with it's standard 15 inch wheels takes 36.4 ft curb to curb. Add larger wheels to that and it will most definitely bein the 37.xx range which is close to the true tsx value of 38.(accordint to updated brochures and people's experience on the road)

EDIT: Mazda 6s turning radius is 38.7 on stock 16"s.

Quick Reply: Changed TSX Specs.