CEL, VSA, /!\ lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 03:33 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CEL, VSA, /!\ lights

Just sharing this in case someone run into the same issue I did.

The CEL, VSA and /!\ lights all came on on my ‘04 with 162,XXX miles. Got it scanned at Advance Auto and got a P2647 code. From my research, it looks like I need a new VVT oil pressure switch but I went ahead and ordered the entire Valve Assembly (Part# 15810-PRB-A03) since the switch by itself was $145. Installed the new part today and all lights went off.

A few things:
1. The CEL light went off almost immediately after I restarted the engine
2. The VSA and /!\ lights required a bit more work to get rid off. Found a couple of instructions on YouTube and on the 3G TL forum on how to reset these lights. It took a few tries but they work!
3. 4 weeks ago is when I started to get these intermittent lights. They would light up (independently) then disappears without any rhyme or reason, until a week ago when all 3 lights came on permanently
4. The car felt sluggish, it wouldn’t go past 3,000 rpm. I guess this is what they call “limp mode”. Still drove normal when the rpm stays below 3,000.
4. I initially thought the CEL and VSA /!\ lights were unrelated and it was just a coincidence. I recently did a front and rear brake job so I thought I screwed something up to cause the VSA light.
5. The Valve Assembly was super easy to remove and install. I replaced the gasket due to a leak a few years ago so I knew what to expect.
6. Contact several dealers (include Hondas too) and check their prices. Some were selling it at over $150 more than others. I selected to have it shipped to a dealership to save on shipping. Some Acura online stores were cheaper but you will pay for shipping. Mine arrived in 2 days so I thought that was very convenient.
7. So much info out there that it got overwhelming. Some fixed their VSA /!\ lights by replacing the YAW sensor and VSA module. Thank goodness mine only needed the Valve Assembly.

She is all well now…except that stupid airbag light. I’ll fix that soon. My workaround it has been to buckle the seatbelt first before starting the engine (the light never comes on). All in all, this has been an easy fix. Let me know if you have questions

Old 04-17-2022, 03:12 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That’s good you were able to diagnose and fix the issue yourself. Just to clarify, that is the vtec solenoid at the back on the block? How was it as far as accessibility to replace that?

I’m thinking of replacing mine since it looks original. No issues (knock on wood) but I like to do preventative maintenance when I can.
Old 04-17-2022, 04:28 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yup, the one right below the power steering hose. Not a lot of room to work around but what I found helpful is use the new part as reference point on where the bolts and harness clips are. I also removed the harness after I got 3 bolts out. Gave me just a bit more room to unclip them.

I wouldn’t replace the whole thing if you don’t have a CEL or seeing any performance issues. If you want to do maintenance, just replace the gasket as they become brittle or the screen gets clogged. Good luck, took me about 30 minutes to do it, some of those were spent looking for 1 bolt that I dropped.