carputer/tv tuner/ dvd player/ rear view camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
carputer/tv tuner/ dvd player/ rear view camera

Finally I have time to post the “carputer”, rear view camera, and tv tuner install on my tsx

First, i purchased the S-Video Navi TV Tuner from avelectronic… they just released the s-video version…it costs more- but WELL worth the money for the s-video input

i had circuit city do all the wiring for the unit…. But that’s just because I don’t want to mess up the car, besides if they screw something up, I can blame them : - D

I used zip ties to hold the TV tuner just under the navi DVD drive… works well… circ city put it on top of the DVD drive, but I couldn’t easily access the inputs… yes I realized that I blocked access to the actually DVD drive – in terms of removing and inserting a new navi disc – but how often do you need to get in there? Once a year at the most… all of 2 minutes to attach more zip ties if you have to pull these off

The fm modulator wire… it works well for an fm modulator, and is connected directly to the back of the navi

The switch to turn on and off the tuner is underneath the dash – driver’s side – far under the vsa and sunroof buttons. If I had to do this again, I would have the switch mounted in the slot next to the VSA button… makes it easier to get to

The IR detector for the remote is by the passenger door…. Out of plain sight
The remote is like the size of a credit card, slightly thicker – the picture is next to chap stick so you can compare the size

I am also using the gyration mouse and keyboard – the keyboard is about the size of a laptop keyboard, and the mouse can be used in the air without any wires. All transmitted with the RF signal.

The rear view camera, I also got from avelectronic, has the camera built in the frame, which works very well – I like it… it takes a little while to get used to and comfortable with, but it helps – and yes it works at night… although not as great because of the poor lighting… when you go in reverse the camera automatically turns on and displays on the navi screen

The computer is the shuttle XPC barebone I purchased from newegg.com
40gb hard drive, 1ghz athalon, 512 MB RAM, dvd drive, sound card is built in the board, there is also a video card built in the board; but I used my own 128mb video card – with s-video out. Wireless LAN card

I am using the power supply that came with the computer, but I am waiting for one (backordered) from opussolutions.com – it is a dc-dc supply specifically for car use, will automatically turn on and off the computer when the ignition is turned on and off. For now I am using an inverter.

I use the computer to play dvds, surf the web – when I am somewhere where there is a wireless network – now realistically you arnt going to be driving down the street and have access to the web, and you arnt going to sit in your garage using it… but infront of a starbucks or something.

I also use it to play my mp3’s.

The case is mounted to the car with a couple screws and spacers.

That’s about it – let me know if you have any questions.

http://67.18.48.66 for pictures
Old 05-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Most of that stuff is available on the higher end Infiniti cars and on those you don't have to wait for Windows to boot.

Sounds like a lot of mods. Not for the weak of heart.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

you can use windows on the infiniti? and watch dvds in the front? etc etc????

i didnt know that... i know the G35 isnt considered high end, but I couldnt decide between the TSX and the G35... if the TL was out when i got this car, it would have confused me even more...:-\

one of my friends just bough the G35.... its a nice car but i think i still like the tsx better
Old 05-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Both the M and Q have rear view cameras, the NAV DVD can be hacked to watch movies and I think a tuner is also available or easily integrated - but no, they don't use windows. The one thing they don't have yet is web surfing, no car does yet. Although with built in BT and a cell phone one is not too far away.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

sweet
Old 05-01-2004, 04:50 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kick ass!!!!! nice seeing some desi's on these boards!

how are you getting internet access???? OMG...wireless setup would rock. Plenty of people don't secure their networks! :devil:
Old 05-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Suzuka Master

lol...

as far as teh wireless.... its because of the wireless lan..but i am waiting for verizon to roll out their "Broadband" access nationwide... it is the PCMCIA card for laptops, but you can use it on verizons network at upto 1mbps.... and i will get an adapter for it to use with the desktop...

desi...lol :-p
Old 05-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Athlon"

I like the license plate camera. So how do you get it wired? Do you need to drill or anything? I take it that it requires the main AVElectronic box?
Old 05-02-2004, 12:09 PM
04 remembrance

:phatyo:
Old 05-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

That's pretty damn cool. Makes me wish i had the Navi:'(
Old 05-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

ya.... but you can always add your own aftermarket screen.... and then use a program on the comp as your navi if you wanted nav capabilities....
Old 05-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

I could do that, but the cost alone is way too much to even think about, and trust me I've thought about it. I'm scared to cut into the dash and it would cost a pretty penny to have a shop do it. I'll just sit back and for now.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

dang thats a sweet setup!

is the resolution good enough so where you can read the text from the computer without getting a headache?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
I could do that, but the cost alone is way too much to even think about, and trust me I've thought about it. I'm scared to cut into the dash and it would cost a pretty penny to have a shop do it. I'll just sit back and for now.
na.... you can get a decent screen and put it you would have acura install the mp3 player or tape player... a flip out screen... it would not be way over priced.... but if you decide to do it... and find the screen at circuit city... ket me know... i get everything at cost or at highest 5% above cost... :-D
Old 05-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by accsuperstar
dang thats a sweet setup!

is the resolution good enough so where you can read the text from the computer without getting a headache?
no.... it is way to small to read.. but windows XP has the accessibility tools which makes the text huge, and therefore easy to read... also in internet explorer you can make the text larger which makes it easy to read
Old 06-04-2004, 11:41 AM
DPZ
Advanced

Looks great.

I know this is a really ignorant question, but if I just wanted to install the license plate camera, how would I integrate it into the system and what other parts would I need? Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DPZ
Looks great.

I know this is a really ignorant question, but if I just wanted to install the license plate camera, how would I integrate it into the system and what other parts would I need? Any assistance greatly appreciated.
You would need the tv tuner from AVELECTRONIC and the camera... thats it... but since you are getting the avelectronic unit - you will be getting the tv tuner built in it... so you can add say just a dvd player for probably $200.....

but essentially for the the rear view camera to work on the factory nav system, you need the unit from avelectronic ($525 i believe) and the rear view camera $275.... call all of the resellers for them and you can find the avelectronic unit cheaper... and the camera... when i get home (monday) ill give you the model number they sell... its not their own product..and you can find it cheaper elsewhere...

have fun with it if you want the computer... im selling mine... check the other section on the site.... i want a smaller one for myself