Car Crash - Require Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Crash - Require Guidance

2006 TSX

Last night, I was driving on a 2 laned road on the right lane. There was a car on the left lane signaling left and slowing down - attempting to turn left onto some street. A car behind that slowing-down car wanted to overtake that car so he stepped on the gas and ram over to the right lane without checking his fking blind spot. Who else can be on the right lane... So in order for him to not crash onto the slowing-down car, he continued to squeak his ass over until he is completely in front of me before coming to a stop.

He swiped my entire left side from the middle of the rear door all the way to the front bumper, leaving a dent on the rear door, billions of scratches as he swiped the whole side and dented the fender where the bumper and the car body connects to. As well, the front left rim is all scratched.

The guy said he was distracted and did not check blind spot. He will be responsible. But that's what he "says".

Due to my inexperience, I only got his cell number home number license plate and car make....

First time in this situation. Please, I need some guidance what to do next to give myself the most benefits. I have only done:

- Reporting the damage to the police collision reporting center
- They took photos and stuff for record

I will claim insurance on Monday when they open and bring the car to the dealer for quoting. What should I tell them to check; a complete mechanical and physical check? Alignment? Any suggestions?

Any other things I need to do?
Old 11-09-2008, 02:13 PM
gets all the crazy chicks

nm, guess i suck at reading

Last edited by CiViCKiDD; 11-09-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
What you should've done was gotten his insurance information so you could call his insurance company with his policy number and get things rolling. But calling your insurance company would be my suggestion on your next step. It wont be your insurance company doing any of the work it will be his but they can tell you exactly what you should do next.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Team Hybrid

call ur insurance company and tell them the info you got (plate #, make, model, color, etc), and your insurance will find that vehiecle and its insurance company, and then their insurance company will contact you and send a inspector to check out the damage and suggest you a collision center. you can go to whatever bodyshop you prefer and the shop will contact that insurance company and ask for repairing funds. you just need to make some calls. good luck.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by l7h8626
call ur insurance company and tell them the info you got (plate #, make, model, color, etc), and your insurance will find that vehiecle and its insurance company, and then their insurance company will contact you and send a inspector to check out the damage and suggest you a collision center. you can go to whatever bodyshop you prefer and the shop will contact that insurance company and ask for repairing funds. you just need to make some calls. good luck.
Remember that your insurance company wants them to pay - they'll go after them with the info you have. Would have been better to get address and insurance info, but the license number should work.

My only other suggestion - since the other guy's insurance is paying, they are (of course) going to want to fix the absolute minimum. Be sure you can defend what was accident damage - maybe pull together some recent pics of your car if you have them. Don't expect them to go the distance for you. If you become worried, get an independent assessment of the damage to compare with what they come up with. However, they may just roll over and let you go somewhere. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. I wouldn't do anything that costs you money (like an independent inspection) until you get into the process. Also talk with your insurance folks - they should be your advocate and press your rights with the other company.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
basically almost the same thing happened to me. I did get the other driver's insurance information, plate #, description of the truck. While waiting for the cops to show up (they never did) the other driver took off when I asked to see his driver's license. I filed a claim with my insurance co. The other driver never reported the accident to his co. (he was driving a company truck)and denied the accident. My insurance co paid to get my car repaired (-the deductible). They must have kept after the other drivers insurance. A year last I was reimbursed the deductible)
Old 11-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well in the future keep this in mind. When you get into an accident you should first immediately get your cell phone camera out and take a picture of the damage to your car as well as to the other person's car. If possible keep the car where it is and take a few pictures before moving the car and let the other cars honk all they want. The next information you should exchange is the person's driver's license, insurance and registration. Make sure that the VIN and license plate number on the registration matches the car's. This should give you enough information in case something should go afoul.

Did you at least get a cell phone number to call the owner back? Ask him for his insurance information if possible and if you run into a brick wall then go to your insurance company. You should avoid your insurance company at all costs because while your insurance may not go up, it certainly won't go down as far as it would without you reporting it.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:26 AM
it's a car-drive it

our insurance was not effected by us reporting the accident (it was ruled not our fault)
Old 11-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
basically almost the same thing happened to me. I did get the other driver's insurance information, plate #, description of the truck. While waiting for the cops to show up (they never did) the other driver took off when I asked to see his driver's license. I filed a claim with my insurance co. The other driver never reported the accident to his co. (he was driving a company truck)and denied the accident. My insurance co paid to get my car repaired (-the deductible). They must have kept after the other drivers insurance. A year last I was reimbursed the deductible)
Were you able to choose the place you want to get it fixed? I want to go back to the dealer and not just some random body shops
Old 11-10-2008, 11:33 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by steam03
Were you able to choose the place you want to get it fixed? I want to go back to the dealer and not just some random body shops
we got to choose the place. Many years ago our two week old volvo was hit in a parking lot (some $%&* backed into causing $3,000+ damage) They did not stick around and left no notes. We brought it back to the dealer as they had a body shop thinking they would do a excellent job. We were wrong. I am not saying all dealers are like that. We found another body shop that did an excellent job. They would not let us have the car until they matched the paint perfectly. Check with friends, neighbors, co-workers for recommendations. The insurance co can also recommend places.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Most dealers farm out body shop stuff, and those that don't, I've been less than impressed with.

My car suffered $6300 worth of damage in a parking lot accident this spring, and I went with a Honda-affiliated shop that was recommended by many people (and was on the insurers' list of accredited repair facilities, giving me a lifetime warranty because of it). I was very impressed by the results - paint matches perfectly, staff were professional, mechanical repairs were completed by Honda-certified mechanics, and the end result was a car in better shape than it was before the accident (better tires, shocks, fresh paint and a repaired OEM front lip that wasn't even damaged in the accident but repaired nonetheless!).
Old 11-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by curls
Most dealers farm out body shop stuff, and those that don't, I've been less than impressed with.

My car suffered $6300 worth of damage in a parking lot accident this spring, and I went with a Honda-affiliated shop that was recommended by many people (and was on the insurers' list of accredited repair facilities, giving me a lifetime warranty because of it). I was very impressed by the results - paint matches perfectly, staff were professional, mechanical repairs were completed by Honda-certified mechanics, and the end result was a car in better shape than it was before the accident (better tires, shocks, fresh paint and a repaired OEM front lip that wasn't even damaged in the accident but repaired nonetheless!).
Wow, you must be one satisfied target!

I called my insurance today and they said the exact same things all of you have stated above. I have 2 choices, 1. choose my own place, 2. use their contracted body shop. I told them I'll go back to the dealer. Then I set up a time for the adjuster to come check my car.

I learned that my Acura dealer doesn't have a body shop onsite and they go to a contracted site at a Mazda collision centre. They said Hondas and Acuras dealers go there for repairs. I don't know any rep of this shop.

Anyone from Toronto and have some comments about Agincourt Mazda's Body Shop??? Please let me know!

After reading some of the comments, I learned that not all dealership would do a better job than some random body shops.

If ppl from Toronto would recommend me an excellent body shop to go to instead of the Mazda one, I would greatly appreciate it.

Maybe this is a good chance for me to repaint my hood and get a new bumper and get rid of all those stone chips...

Thanks!