Canadian 2006 TSX buyers

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zircon
As the Can $ rises (supposedly to 0.90, purchasing cars in the USA is going to take off. Both Acura and Lexus have stuck it to Canadians using terrible exchange rates. A tsx with auto can be had for 26-27US, and at current exchange rates, we would save thousands buying there. Plus, auto is free, and dealer prep etc is half the price.

Not sure about that. Remember the car is built in Japan so your paying a import duty when you ship it to Canada. I think Import Duty for a set of Japanese made rims was 13%. Then you have exchange and then you have taxes.

So lets do a rough calculation.

$27,000 USD times the exchange rate. Lets just say 1.15.

= about $31,050 CND

Take that amount and multiply it by (we'll use the rim duty rate) 1.13.

$31,050 times 1.13 = $35,086.50 CDN.

Then add Taxes = $40,349.475 CDN.

This does not includes the state taxes (8% i believe in new york) from where you bought it and the admin fee, freight etc. from the US dealership.

Someone correct me if I was wrong in caluclating this very very rough figure.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Canuck

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef18c13/0

You'll also have to retrofit a day time running light on the car to have it pass through the border.

"Make sure that you can actually get this letter before you purchase. I understand you cannot register the car in Canada without this letter. I was considering an Acura MDX. Acura USA will not issue this letter to Canadians unless you are living in the US.... Also Acura Warranty was not transferable. Good thing I checked with Acura about this letter before I was ready to even contact a US dealer. "
Old 12-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tintin
A bmw with the similar features that the TSX has will cost an extra 10kish.
yah, you can get a 323i for the same price as a TSX, but the beemer stock is so ugly!
I looked at the IS250/350 and an 250 equiped like a TSX (at/navi) was $15,000 more ($55,000).
Old 12-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Racer

As the Can $ rises (supposedly to 0.90, purchasing cars in the USA is going to take off. Both Acura and Lexus have stuck it to Canadians using terrible exchange rates. A tsx with auto can be had for 26-27US, and at current exchange rates, we would save thousands buying there. Plus, auto is free, and dealer prep etc is half the price.
I've posted on this subject before, we get shafted in Canada no two ways about it, and not only with cars.

Not only with prices but with content in many cases, for example on the Mazda3 in the US side airbags and curtains are available, not so in Canada. Ditto with tire pressure monitors, satellite radio and a nav system. Manufacturers recognize we don't have the disposable income our American friends do.

Canada is a great country, I wouldn't want to leave, but we pay a high price to live here.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:50 PM
PWP Wh0r3

Originally Posted by feliz
I've posted on this subject before, we get shafted in Canada no two ways about it, and not only with cars.

Not only with prices but with content in many cases, for example on the Mazda3 in the US side airbags and curtains are available, not so in Canada. Ditto with tire pressure monitors, satellite radio and a nav system. Manufacturers recognize we don't have the disposable income our American friends do.

Canada is a great country, I wouldn't want to leave, but we pay a high price to live here.
i'm confused, if we don't have the disposable income like our american friends do, how are we paying for the higher cost of living?
Old 12-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RTSX-ASpec
i'm confused, if we don't have the disposable income like our american friends do, how are we paying for the higher cost of living?
Uh? That's why we don't have the disposable income!! Disposable income is what's left after taking off what it costs to live. Anyone who thinks it doesn't cost more to live here than in the US hasn't spent much time there.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by narci
I paid $36,975 before frieght and taxes.

2005 Auto with NAVI.
2005 Auto with Navi, not 2006...
Old 12-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by gogozy
it would be nice for 2006 i guess...
Old 12-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Canuck

Originally Posted by gogozy
It's a gaage for how much to pay for a 2006 if there was a $1000 increase in base price.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Racer

Not sure about that. Remember the car is built in Japan so your paying a import duty when you ship it to Canada. I think Import Duty for a set of Japanese made rims was 13%. Then you have exchange and then you have taxes.

So lets do a rough calculation.

$27,000 USD times the exchange rate. Lets just say 1.15.

= about $31,050 CND

Take that amount and multiply it by (we'll use the rim duty rate) 1.13.

$31,050 times 1.13 = $35,086.50 CDN.

Then add Taxes = $40,349.475 CDN.

This does not includes the state taxes (8% i believe in new york) from where you bought it and the admin fee, freight etc. from the US dealership.

Someone correct me if I was wrong in caluclating this very very rough figure.

Sorry, but your math is wrong. We pay 6% duty on Japanese car imports, and no US sales tax on exported cars. So the math is:

27,000 x 1.15 (exchange) x 1.06 (duty) = 32,910 Canadian plus GST and PST tax. Now, that includes an auto tranny if you want one. You do have to get daytime running lights and approved bumper. I was getting my stereo replaced in Michigan today and I forgot to ask if the car had daytime running lights - some brands now have them in the states. I live in Windsor so Detroit's 3 Acura dealers are only 10-15 minutes away . I would probably have to service the car in the states (although, oddly Acura Canada said I could get the radio changed in the USA with no warrenty fuss). I would service it there anyway for convenience reasons.

If I bought a TL there wold be no duty since the car is USA made. Again, huge savings.

Apparently an RL can be had for the low 40s in the USA right now, so the savings on that car would be huge.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:05 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by TSXdawg
That must be the fudge talking!
Now that's funny!!!. I guess I was finally venting and had to make a few posts to get over it. My TSX likely arrived at the dealers late today , however I'm working late tonight and won't get a peek at it until tomorrow. I should be driving it on Saturday.

Excited
Old 12-13-2005, 07:09 PM
TSX4EVR

Congrats! i can imagine how good it feels to finaly see the light!
I am so high right now with exictment. I have a busy week, so it will help hold off the shakes as I wait for Saturday. (Possibly Friday).

I will likely finish off the paperwork on Thursday.

Very Excited and thanks for the congrats.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:11 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by swirlie
Excited, you're going to have to start PWing like crazy if you're going to hit that magical 500 mark before your car arrives.
398 and counting. I still have three days to try and make 102 posts.

Excited
Old 12-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Canuck

Sorry, but your math is wrong. We pay 6% duty on Japanese car imports, and no US sales tax on exported cars. So the math is:

27,000 x 1.15 (exchange) x 1.06 (duty) = 32,910 Canadian plus GST and PST tax. Now, that includes an auto tranny if you want one. You do have to get daytime running lights and approved bumper. I was getting my stereo replaced in Michigan today and I forgot to ask if the car had daytime running lights - some brands now have them in the states. I live in Windsor so Detroit's 3 Acura dealers are only 10-15 minutes away . I would probably have to service the car in the states (although, oddly Acura Canada said I could get the radio changed in the USA with no warrenty fuss). I would service it there anyway for convenience reasons.

If I bought a TL there wold be no duty since the car is USA made. Again, huge savings.

Apparently an RL can be had for the low 40s in the USA right now, so the savings on that car would be huge.
So if you buy a car in a new york dealership you don't have to pay the 8% sales tax?

It's nice for you to do warranty but what about the other who live far from the border. I take it no roadside assistance either?

The TSX does not have DRL in the US and I think some US owners on this or the other site wanted them but it seemed more trouble then it was worth.

I dunno...like i said..my math could be wrong. I'm going to have to ask one of my best friends who's a sales manager at an Infiniti dealership about this importing stuff. He exports car all over the world.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Pro

Not that much worth the time and energy to go down to the us to buy the car after all...

Anyhow, Any TSX owners from Montreal!?
Old 12-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Racer

So if you buy a car in a new york dealership you don't have to pay the 8% sales tax?

It's nice for you to do warranty but what about the other who live far from the border. I take it no roadside assistance either?

The TSX does not have DRL in the US and I think some US owners on this or the other site wanted them but it seemed more trouble then it was worth.

I dunno...like i said..my math could be wrong. I'm going to have to ask one of my best friends who's a sales manager at an Infiniti dealership about this importing stuff. He exports car all over the world.
That is a great idea to check with your friend -I would like to see what he says. The duty is actually 6.1% not 6.0. Plus the import fee is $185 plus $100 excise tax for AC. You pay state tax when you license the car, which you would not be doing. You get a temp licence to get the car out of state (perhaps 20-25$). If car is built in USa there is no duty (TL). You need a document from the manufacturer (not the dealer) that there is no recall on the car - some like Honda will not issue such a letter. I don't know about Acura. People on here are quoting as low as 26500 for a tsx auto no-navi for a 2006. Thus math is

26500 x 1.15 (exchange) x 1.061 (duty) +185 + 100 plus applicable GST and PST. For Ontario, this would be $32900 plus tax = 37835 out the door.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Racer

sorry, final number is 37511 out the door.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Pro

Congrats helraiser!
I read that you finaly got your car!
Old 12-14-2005, 08:17 PM
TSX4EVR

It's torture

Well on Monday, my car was in Calgary, 3.5 hours from here. They called and said that it would arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. Hec, it's only 3.5 hours away. It was looking great to have it for the weekend, maybe even Friday.

As of 6:30pm tonight (Wednesday) it is still not here. It could still arrive overnight and still be ready for Saturday, I'm trying to keep the positive thought.

This is like torture with all of the ups and downs of it's pending arrival.

Hopefully either overnight or early tomorrow it will arrive. I really wanted to get on or before Saturday. I wanted to have the time to play and learn with all of the neat stuff, besides having the pleasure of driving it and oh yes showing it off.

Excited
Old 12-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by excited
Well on Monday, my car was in Calgary, 3.5 hours from here. They called and said that it would arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. Hec, it's only 3.5 hours away. It was looking great to have it for the weekend, maybe even Friday.

As of 6:30pm tonight (Wednesday) it is still not here. It could still arrive overnight and still be ready for Saturday, I'm trying to keep the positive thought.

This is like torture with all of the ups and downs of it's pending arrival.

Hopefully either overnight or early tomorrow it will arrive. I really wanted to get on or before Saturday. I wanted to have the time to play and learn with all of the neat stuff, besides having the pleasure of driving it and oh yes showing it off.

Excited
you wil like the car - it really is a great ride, and Car & Driver has just said - for the 3rd consequetive year. Get some snows for the winter - the car drives much. much better with them and your primary tires will last longer, offsetting the cost.

Funny, I had my radio replaced under warrenty in Michigan yesterday. Prompt friendly service, with hot coffee, warm cookees, newspaper, tv. Tonight they called to ask how satisfied I was with the service. I had also mentioned to them yesterday that the dweebs in Toronto who had secured the drivers' seat had left a yellow power cable exposed under the seat, which my kids kicked the crap out of. They fixed that one too, and washed the car. Total time 40 minutes. Great service.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:54 PM
TSX4EVR

you wil like the car - it really is a great ride, and Car & Driver has just said - for the 3rd consequetive year. Get some snows for the winter - the car drives much. much better with them and your primary tires will last longer, offsetting the cost.
I actually bought my snows in September and they have been sitting in the dealers warehouse since mid November waiting to go on my TSX. I won't drive on the OEM wheels or tires until Spring.

It is a great car, I just need it to finally arrive.

I guess one bonus is that the longer it takes to arrive, the more tunes my daughter puts on my nano.

Excited
Old 12-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Pro

Hey excite, why dont you just drive down to calgary and pick it up?
I was in calgary not too long ago and drove to edmonton for absolutly no reason but to see the city, and the drive isnt that bad at all. (thats if you are in edmonton, i have no idea why i think you are)
and then maybe you can drive it all the way to montreal so we can go for a spin
Old 12-14-2005, 09:57 PM
TSX4EVR

Hey excite, why dont you just drive down to calgary and pick it up?
I was in calgary not too long ago and drove to edmonton for absolutly no reason but to see the city, and the drive isnt that bad at all. (thats if you are in edmonton, i have no idea why i think you are)
and then maybe you can drive it all the way to montreal so we can go for a spin
I would do that in instance if I could. The car still needs to be prepped and a bunch of stuff added before it becomes mine.

Hmmm lets see from Vancouver which is 12 hours away, it took 10 days. 1.2 hrs traveled per day. Based on that ratio, it should take 2.5 days to get here, which means that it should be here first thing in the morning.

I feel better now!

Excited
Old 12-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Pro

Congrats helraiser!
I read that you finaly got your car!
Thanx mate! It's been a LONG time coming. Still feel like I got hosed cuz it was $41k OTD. Bloody 14% tax plus they snuck in a tire warranty of $400 on there and I didn't notice it till I'd signed the docs and getting them to remove it now is proving impossible but I'll keep hassling!

Still... the car puts a BIG smile on my face each time I get in it... Excited, the wait is well worth it!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Pro

You raise an excellent point, however the question remains: Would we be saving money if we bought the car in .us and drove it in Canada? Remember, we have to pay duty!
I did the whole process hypothetically using the steps provided on one of the GC.CA websites and you save a whole bunch! Only thing is getting it certified for Canadian specs such as block heater, daytime running lights (mandatory on post '90 cars - migh tbe off on the year)

But guess where you have to take the car to get it certified? Canadian Tire!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by helraiser
I did the whole process hypothetically using the steps provided on one of the GC.CA websites and you save a whole bunch! Only thing is getting it certified for Canadian specs such as block heater, daytime running lights (mandatory on post '90 cars - migh tbe off on the year)

But guess where you have to take the car to get it certified? Canadian Tire!!!
DRL are cheap to install - something like $150. Bigger concern is whether they (Acura) will even sell it to you in the USA. I will try to find out, as after I did my phone interview on how well I liked my USA servicing of my car, they asked if they could send me a written survey on purchasing future cars. I agreed. I would consider cross-border shopping the RDX for my wife's CRV when it comes out. Als oget a year longer warrenty in the states. These Canadaian dealers are putting the boots to us. I liked Acura Markham, but not Acura Sherway.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Als oget a year longer warrenty in the states.
It'd also be irritating/confusing to always see mph, mpg, and degrees F, instead of km/h, L/100km, and degrees C.

And for warranty, all 06 Acuras have the new 4yr/80,000km warranty, so we've got the same warranty now as the states.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:27 PM
TSX4EVR

Well it's here!

It has been a very, very busy week at work and I am a little worn out. I didn't receive any calls today saying that my RBP baby had arrived, but I had planned to drop off my lip spoiler to get painted and drop by the dealer just in case it arrived late in the day.

After a disappointing session at the painters I went to the dealers and went inside. The Manager spotted me and came to me and said that my timing was good they had just arrived.

He took me out onto the lot to show me my new car. It was dark and -14C out. (It felt much colder) He brought me to the car. Now new cars just off the truck kind of look like new born babies with their after birth still on them. They are not at their best. It still had a wax coating on it and it was quite dirty.

It was still great to see it. I looked inside and it was AT with the navi. There were four other TSX's that had arrived. None of them navi, two were black, one was ASM and the 4th was graphite.

The window sticker on the side window showed the MSRP for the AM navi as $40,000 and with destination charges is $41,430.00

The good question is when will I actually be a TSX owner and get to drive it. Because it arrived so late on Thursday they could not do anything with it. Besides all of the stuff that they do, they have to take it to the remote starter place and the rust proofing, paint/leather protection, clear bra place. He said that he would try to have it ready for Saturday, but it could be Monday. He asked if setting up the appointment on Monday at 6:00 pm would be okay. I said that Saturday at 2:00 pm would be better. It gives me the weekend to learn and play with the car, plus I have been waiting a long time. He said that he would do his best, but I know that it likely means that it will be Monday.

Not to show my baby at it's worse, but here is one last picture:

Surprisingly mellow, Excited
Old 12-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by excited
It has been a very, very busy week at work and I am a little worn out. I didn't receive any calls today saying that my RBP baby had arrived, but I had planned to drop off my lip spoiler to get painted and drop by the dealer just in case it arrived late in the day.

After a disappointing session at the painters I went to the dealers and went inside. The Manager spotted me and came to me and said that my timing was good they had just arrived.

He took me out onto the lot to show me my new car. It was dark and -14C out. (It felt much colder) He brought me to the car. Now new cars just off the truck kind of look like new born babies with their after birth still on them. They are not at their best. It still had a wax coating on it and it was quite dirty.

It was still great to see it. I looked inside and it was AT with the navi. There were four other TSX's that had arrived. None of them navi, two were black, one was ASM and the 4th was graphite.

The window sticker on the side window showed the MSRP for the AM navi as $40,000 and with destination charges is $41,430.00

The good question is when will I actually be a TSX owner and get to drive it. Because it arrived so late on Thursday they could not do anything with it. Besides all of the stuff that they do, they have to take it to the remote starter place and the rust proofing, paint/leather protection, clear bra place. He said that he would try to have it ready for Saturday, but it could be Monday. He asked if setting up the appointment on Monday at 6:00 pm would be okay. I said that Saturday at 2:00 pm would be better. It gives me the weekend to learn and play with the car, plus I have been waiting a long time. He said that he would do his best, but I know that it likely means that it will be Monday.

Not to show my baby at it's worse, but here is one last picture:

Surprisingly mellow, Excited
nice colour dude.

Man, I would love to live in Alberta, except when it is that cold.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:44 PM
No-navi, yo

Excited, the blue looks amazing. From those pictures, it was the first time I could tell what kind of blue is RB. The wait is almost over!!
Old 12-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

She's a beauty, excited. Looks like mine. Sadly, mine is starting to get kinda dirty..
Old 12-15-2005, 09:00 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by BusyShifter
Excited, the blue looks amazing. From those pictures, it was the first time I could tell what kind of blue is RB. The wait is almost over!!
Wait until you see it nice and shiny without the wax coating. I think fate brought me to a great colour.

Thanks

Excited
Old 12-15-2005, 09:05 PM
TSX4EVR

nice colour dude.

Man, I would love to live in Alberta, except when it is that cold.
Last weekend it was plus 10 C and there is only a skiff of snow currently on the ground. Monday will be plus 5 C and all the snow will be gone again.

Clean air, little or no traffic jams, no provincial tax and golf courses don't cost you an arm and a leg. And they keep sending us checks for tax or gas rebates.

You would like it here. (Although it does get colder here, but it is a dry cold )

Excited
Old 12-15-2005, 09:10 PM
TSX4EVR

She's a beauty, excited. Looks like mine. Sadly, mine is starting to get kinda dirty..
I have been watching the weather. Our streets are basically bare other than sand. No snow in the forecast and warmer weather come Sunday. I might actually be able to get my TSX home looking clean.

My last new car I would wash at least twice a week during the winter to keep it clean.

I was kind of mellow after leaving the dealership, partially because of the downer with the spoiler, but I am starting to get excited now. It would be great if I could get it on Saturday, but I have to mentally prepare myself for Monday.

Excited
Old 12-17-2005, 12:40 AM
TSX4EVR

Hmmm, called the dealer at 4 pm today. My salesman is off for the weekend and the regular Manager that I talk to was off as well. I talked to another Manager. He said that they were working hard to get my TSX ready for 3 pm Saturday.

I'm suppose to call just after noon to see if it is ready. My brain tells me that this means that it won't be ready until Monday night, but my heart is hoping that it will be Saturday.

It has been cold and will stay cold for Saturday. We might get a little snow but I should be able to get it home with it staying fairly clean.

It's been a long wait.

Tomorrow I get to drop off some food and toys off at two families homes. It should be a good experience and should jump start me into the Christmas mood.

Heres hoping for a Saturday bonding with my TSX.

Excited
Old 12-17-2005, 01:04 AM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Keep hope alive, excited!

On your cold note, I got my first taste of VSA this morning. I backed out onto the street. There was a big patch of ice on the road, so when I went to go my wheels spun a bit, the VSA kicked in, stole ALL my power, and I stood there for a second or two before I started moving. Hehe. VSA is kinda loud.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:19 AM
TSX4EVR

Keep hope alive, excited!

On your cold note, I got my first taste of VSA this morning. I backed out onto the street. There was a big patch of ice on the road, so when I went to go my wheels spun a bit, the VSA kicked in, stole ALL my power, and I stood there for a second or two before I started moving. Hehe. VSA is kinda loud.
I have never driven a car that had VSA (other than test drives where it did not kick in). This should be an interesting experience.

But since I never push my car, I may never experience it.

Excited
Old 12-17-2005, 09:02 AM
Pro

YAAAAAAI!!!!!!!!
excited, i am so happy for you!!!
congreats, i sure hope you got the car today.
...Anyhow, i have never owned a car with VSA too, and i would love it after my two accidents in winter.
...on the other topic of Calgary/Alberta; i came back from there not too long ago and it was amaaaaaazing!! i would live there in a heart beat, as excited mentioned all the benefits, but he forgot one: people there are so nice/friendly and laid back (compared to montreal atleast).

More pics pls once washed, with interiour!
Old 12-17-2005, 11:10 AM
TSX4EVR

YAAAAAAI!!!!!!!!
excited, i am so happy for you!!!
congreats, i sure hope you got the car today.
...Anyhow, i have never owned a car with VSA too, and i would love it after my two accidents in winter.
...on the other topic of Calgary/Alberta; i came back from there not too long ago and it was amaaaaaazing!! i would live there in a heart beat, as excited mentioned all the benefits, but he forgot one: people there are so nice/friendly and laid back (compared to montreal atleast).

More pics pls once washed, with interiour!
I won't know for a few more hours. Logic tells me that it will be Monday and I am trying to get that set in my head so that I will not be too disappointed if it is Monday. I already checked and the car does have the navi and AT, although it would not tick me off if it was manual.

If I do get it today it will be awesome though. And trust me I will show a lot of pics. If it does come today I won't make it to 500 posts, but if it is Monday I have a shot at it.

I'm glad that you liked it out here. Calgary is awesome with it's view of the mountains. You hace to travel 3 hours west of here to get the same view.
Calgary and Edmonton also have a different feel. Calgary is more like a city and Edmonton is more like a big town.

Excited
Old 12-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Pro

indeed!
i went to calgary/banff/edmonton.

Excited, can you do me a favour; can you please tell me if Canadian restaurants are included in 'Zegat' or is just American restau's.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Canadian 2006 TSX buyers