Can they ticket me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:11 AM
6MT or Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can they ticket me?

I'm buying my TSX with 35% tint in kansas where it's legal. It'll be titled and licensed in Kansas so I have no problems there. In about a month I'll be driving to Pennsylvania for a few days and 35% tint on all windows is quite illegal there. Can they give me a ticket? Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:27 AM
iVTEC no koe

They 'can' give you a ticket, but the general consensus is to just fight it, as the laws where your car is registered is the final judgement, which is legal.

This example is just like drivers from USA with only 1 license plate, whereas in Canada it's the law to have front and back plates. Those tourists will definitely not get ticketed, not really good on encouraging Tourism.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:45 AM
TSX-y

Originally Posted by HoRRo
They 'can' give you a ticket, but the general consensus is to just fight it, as the laws where your car is registered is the final judgement, which is legal.

This example is just like drivers from USA with only 1 license plate, whereas in Canada it's the law to have front and back plates. Those tourists will definitely not get ticketed, not really good on encouraging Tourism.
Actually... You don't have to have plates on both ends of your car. In Alberta, where I live, you only need to have plates on the back of your car. I'm not too sure about what the other provinces do...

I'm kinda happy that the plates are only on the back in Alberta... I'd hate to put holes in my beautiful front bumper.

WG
Old 11-17-2005, 09:46 AM
4th Gear

I live in MD and I've been traveling up to PA, NJ and NY in the past 10 or so years and I haven't gotten pulled over for my 35% tint.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:10 AM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by weirdg
Actually... You don't have to have plates on both ends of your car. In Alberta, where I live, you only need to have plates on the back of your car. I'm not too sure about what the other provinces do...

I'm kinda happy that the plates are only on the back in Alberta... I'd hate to put holes in my beautiful front bumper.

WG
heh, you're lucky, in Ontario, it's both front and back. AFAIK, no holes drilled though, the front plate mount goes into the center opening and go into a non-bumper part of the car (have investigately thoroughly to know what). Just positive it's not the bumper because it moves separately from it.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:15 AM
TSX-y

I forgot to mention that in Alberta tinting your front windows are illegal. I think they fine you $135 per window for having any sort of tint on your windshield or front sides. If the windows have factory tint and not that film on them then your ok.

In some cases i've heard the cops up will take a key to yours tints... they can prove that it's not factory tint if the film begins to peel... once that happens they'll peel the whole thing off... but that's only if your have it on your windshield.

I've had my windows tinted for 4 months and I haven't been stopped yet(knock on woord). I did a gradual tint... I forget how dark I went on the back windows, but the front windows are 35%.

Sometimes the cop will be good about it and let you off with a slap on the wrist... I've heard that some cops will give you a warning and ask you to take the tints off yourself. A buddy of mine was pulled over during a random seatbelt check and ended up being busted for his tints. His fine was $270 cuz his two front windows were tinted. That's $135 per window.

WG
Old 11-17-2005, 10:17 AM
TSX-y

Originally Posted by HoRRo
heh, you're lucky, in Ontario, it's both front and back. AFAIK, no holes drilled though, the front plate mount goes into the center opening and go into a non-bumper part of the car (have investigately thoroughly to know what). Just positive it's not the bumper because it moves separately from it.
That's good to know then... I saw a few used Acura's that had holes on the front bumpers just a little while ago... Almost made me cry when I saw how crappy it looked.

WG
Old 11-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Horny.

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
I'm buying my TSX with 35% tint in kansas where it's legal. It'll be titled and licensed in Kansas so I have no problems there. In about a month I'll be driving to Pennsylvania for a few days and 35% tint on all windows is quite illegal there. Can they give me a ticket? Anyone have any experience with this?

Yes, they can. And if Kansas has an interstate compact w/Pennsylvania, then watch out if you don't pay the fine and get pull over even in Kansas. They will make you show proof of you make good on that ticket, or license suspension.

That's what happen to a buddy, got a ticket in another state and did not pay. Got pull over in home state, he has to paid them (all that interest too) before the DMV release the license.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Canuck

I forgot to mention that in Alberta tinting your front windows are illegal. I think they fine you $135 per window for having any sort of tint on your windshield or front sides. If the windows have factory tint and not that film on them then your ok.

In some cases i've heard the cops up will take a key to yours tints... they can prove that it's not factory tint if the film begins to peel... once that happens they'll peel the whole thing off... but that's only if your have it on your windshield.

I've had my windows tinted for 4 months and I haven't been stopped yet(knock on woord). I did a gradual tint... I forget how dark I went on the back windows, but the front windows are 35%.

Sometimes the cop will be good about it and let you off with a slap on the wrist... I've heard that some cops will give you a warning and ask you to take the tints off yourself. A buddy of mine was pulled over during a random seatbelt check and ended up being busted for his tints. His fine was $270 cuz his two front windows were tinted. That's $135 per window.

WG
I know BC is the same. I might move there in a year or so, I wonder if I can get away with tints on driver/passenger windows since they are legal in Ontario.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:22 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
I have 35% tint and live in VA where the legal limit is 50% (as do a lot of people) and I've never gotten a ticket, a cop hasn't even looked twice. So I wouldn't worry about it too much
Old 11-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Racer

I don't know if this helps but I had 20% on my last 3 cars and am probably going to do the same to the TSX. I found that the only way you can get a ticket is in the state that your car is registered. This is only what I have personally experienced but I have had lots of problems with my tint and it has only been in the state where my car is registered. Other states just ignored the tint and told me to "check what % I have".

Just some food for thought.

BTW-You can try getting a Dr's excuse stating that you are photosensitive and need the tint for your eyes or skin. That may keep the 5-0 off your case.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yes they can ticket you and they will ticket you if the cop who pulled you over decides to do so. Becuase you are entering their state, you have to abid by their laws as each states have different set of laws. Regardless where you register the car, you will have to abid by the law of the state you are driving on. Thats what i remeber from drivers ed class.

With the canada thing i have no clue.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Racer

You should be fine i know people with 20% all the way around and they dont get pulled over here in NJ. Just drive normal and dont do anything stupid, both hands on wheel,signal on all turns and dont go over speed limit.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
I have 35% tint and live in VA where the legal limit is 50% (as do a lot of people) and I've never gotten a ticket, a cop hasn't even looked twice. So I wouldn't worry about it too much

i live in NoVa too i thought it was 35% legal?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:24 AM
But of Kourse!

Wow, some of y'all have it pretty easy with the law. Here in California, any tint whatsoever on the front windows are illegal. Of course, most officers don't really enforce that law, but you could still be ticketed anytime. My lil' bro got a warning once about his tint and my older brother was ticketed. He had it written off by an officer friend but it still cost $10 to have the violation "corrected" instead of the original $80.

Plus, we also have to display the plates in front and back. I never have the front on just because I don't like the look. I've been ticketed 4 times for that. Put the front back on for "correction" and paid $10 each time. The last time I was ticketed, I was parked in a parking structure. Unluckily, it was city owned so they could ticket me. If it was private property, I would have been alright.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:08 AM
Racer

i have gotten the front license ticket in los angeles before. they wont ticket you if you are actually driving, but if you are parked you could get it (i was parked on a residential street , i guess the street sweeping ticket people got me).

i hate the front license thing. its just for red light cameras, and it looks a lot better without it. unfortunately as i bought my tsx in CA, the mount was alreayd installed so i cant do anything.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:05 PM
But of Kourse!

Originally Posted by hans007
i have gotten the front license ticket in los angeles before. they wont ticket you if you are actually driving, but if you are parked you could get it (i was parked on a residential street , i guess the street sweeping ticket people got me).

i hate the front license thing. its just for red light cameras, and it looks a lot better without it. unfortunately as i bought my tsx in CA, the mount was alreayd installed so i cant do anything.
I got ticketed picking up my brother at LAX. A curbside officer walked about a quarter of a mile to where I was park just to give me that ticket. Don't they have more important things to do like watching for suspicious activity and packages?

You can remove the mount. We're actually lucky because the holes in which the mount is bolted to are hidden in the mesh of the bumper. There are only 2 bolts that hold that mount. There are no visible holes on the front surface of the bumper after you remove it. Most cars, like my old Protege5, have 2 holes on the bumper.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Instructor

WG
In Saskatchewan you also only have to have the rear plates...I'm pretty sure that you have to have plates front & back in all other provinces though.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Advanced

the limit in pa is 35% for the front side windows, you are still legal here
Old 11-20-2005, 03:29 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by 01Blacura
the limit in pa is 35% for the front side windows, you are still legal here
Thanks alot for that.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Instructor

According to Pennsylvania law tint is legal when it allows 70% of light to pass through. But because the tint laws in PA are so vague and contradictory, if the cop cant clearly see whos in the car, your gettin a ticket regardless of the limit. The only time cops will fine you for tint is when they pull you over for something else (speeding, disobeying traffic signals, etc.) And usually out of those incidents only the state troopers will enforce the tint limit. Some troopers carry meters that can tell them the darkness percentage and for every amount over the fine goes up. One good thing about PA though is that only the state troopers are aloud to use radar guns to track speeding. And in PA im pretty sure they dont use lasar guns only radar. So you have to worry about speeding as much in PA.