Can I live with an automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 07:18 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I live with an automatic?

I have been driving manuals for the last 12 years or so (Sentra SE-R, current A4 1.8T). The problem is that my wife, although she is able to drive them, really doesn't like it much. It's sort of not fair for me to buy another fairly expensive car and be the only one to drive it all the time. Plus it's inconvenient if I'd rather take her Intrigue somewhere that I would not want to leave mine (such as the airport parking lot).

So, I may break down and go back to an automatic. The problem is that I always said that I wouldn't go auto unless I got a bigger engine to make up for the performance loss. So how do you guys with TSX automatics like them? Seems like a high-revving engine is not the best with an auto, but then I haven't really spent much time driving one for a while. I'm planning on taking a test drive later this week, but a loop around the block isn't a good substitute for all the experience of the people on the forum here. So how about it -- does the TSX do well enough with an auto trans? Is it still a fun drive?

Doug
Old 10-07-2003, 07:23 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

See http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=3237

I understand your concerns about your wife. Any chance on increasing her enthusiasm for the MT?

I'd get a car witha CVT before an AT, but this is really a personal decision that you have to make for yourself. Test drive the AT TSX and see what you think.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:12 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Topic certainly has been beaten before, but as stated you really need to give the AT a full run and see if it'll work. For all my test drives I made sure they were going to take me for more than 'around the block'. I took several trips on the interstate so I got a real good taste of merge/pass power. (and how the TSX lacked against an '03 TL-S)

I can't say I'm disappointed, but I'm sure the MT would be sportier.

-r
Old 10-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude...The 5AT is awesome and I drove the 6MT also, so I'm not BS'n here. If you drive the 5AT like it was designed to be driven, in SS mode, it's a HOOT. I don't think alot of the 5AT owners take advantage of the SS. You 6MT owners know how sweet 2nd and 3rd gear are...Well, so do I...If you own a 5AT...Take it up to like 6500 rpm's in 2nd, then click 3rd and repeat the process. Nice Huh? Of course I'm old and am easily amused.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:36 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've driven both AT and MT in my life. I prefer MT, in general. I opted for the AT on the TSX because I live in LA and the traffic is insane.

In general, I think the AT in the Acura is pretty good. It is very smooth, quick, and always seems to be in the right gear. The Sportshift option is effective, if not ideal.

I have more than enough power. Its a cliche, but the 4-cyl in the TSX really does feel like a V6.

That said, if I had to do it over again, I might have opted for the MT. The engine just seems a bit more happy matched to the MT, and I don't have enough control over the car with the AT.

I don't think sportshift is a reasonable alternative for a manual. Its harder to use, really, and not nearly as satisfiying.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:37 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by swami
I don't think alot of the 5AT owners take advantage of the SS. You 6MT owners know how sweet 2nd and 3rd gear are...Well, so do I...If you own a 5AT...Take it up to like 6500 rpm's in 2nd, then click 3rd and repeat the process. Nice Huh? Of course I'm old and am easily amused.
heh, yeah SS is really cool.

I was stopped at a light the other night and decided to flat-out gun it in SS. Basically ran each gear up to 7000rpm and was up to 90 (in a 65) before I knew it.

-r
Old 10-07-2003, 10:41 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by darth62
I don't think sportshift is a reasonable alternative for a manual. Its harder to use, really, and not nearly as satisfiying.
Even with my exuberant previous post, I'd have to agree with that statement. SS is great fun to have for an AT, but I do find the shifts to be a bit slow.

For example with my 7000rpm shift goal, I had to make sure to shift early because I knew it would lag.

-r
Old 10-08-2003, 01:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by idx
Even with my exuberant previous post, I'd have to agree with that statement. SS is great fun to have for an AT, but I do find the shifts to be a bit slow.

For example with my 7000rpm shift goal, I had to make sure to shift early because I knew it would lag.

-r
Exactly...Have a shift point in mind and shift a little sooner than that. I get the idea some people think it shifts for you, it doesn't, unless you come to a stop without downshifting.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Pro

Give it up this time, since you have been driving a MT in your Audi, and then when your intrigue is up to date, you can get a sportier car in MT!!!

Just my suggestion. This is my first MT and I LOVE IT!!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Gosh, if you already have an AT Intrigue and you are keeping it, then it's perfectly fair to have one car of each tranny type. Get the MT TSX. When you replace the Intrigue, get another AT car for the spouse.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

I recommend the manual TSX, but I can understand your situation.

Try and get your wife to test drive the 6MT version, and see if she likes it better than other MTs. This is a very easy MT to drive. The clutch is very light, and the shifter is very precise. If that still doesn't convince her, then YOU should test drive the 5AT and make your decision about whether you can live with it from there. Good luck choosing, and welcome
Old 10-08-2003, 04:42 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

DougG: my wife is like yours- she could drive an MT if she had to, but she has the "why bother?" mindset. She's not an car enthusiast she just wants the car to go from A to B with as little effort as possible. Why fuss with a clutch and shifter? That's too much work!

As for me, I'm different. I've been driving our other 2 AT vehicles (93 Accord coupe, 97 Pathfinder) like they have manual trannies. (I traded in a 92 SE-R when I bought the Pathfinder 6 years ago... and I've been clutch-deprived since! ) I often prefer to stay in a lower gear so I have torque and power just where I want them without having to mash the gas pedal, but trying to make a regular AT behave like a MT is just...well... it ain't gonna happen!

Anyway, I can relate to your situation, since I really wanted a MT car to use as my daily driver. I nearly bought another 92 SE-R but backed out because it didn't have enough safety features.

We then made some other choices which finally led us to 4-door sedans and the TSX. The only way my wife would let me keep my truck and get a brand new car as my new commuter was if she could drive it too... on roadtrips, errands, etc. My/our position was that it wasn't really "fair" for us to buy a new car and have me get the exclusive benefit of it. The TSX automanual is really the best compromise, the way I see it.

It's not a MT by any means, but it's practically almost as fun to drive. And it sure beats trying to shift a standard AT as though it were a MT.

I find myself using SS mode almost exclusively while I'm in slow-moving traffic. Just like in a MT, you can use engine braking (in 1st or 2nd) to slow down, and you can keep the revs high (in the power band) to sneak into an open spot for passing, too. And if traffic stops dead, there's no clutch!

During hard acceleration, upshifts are silky smooth. Your passengers won't experience any shift-to-shift whiplash either!

The only real complaints I have about the SS AT are that you can't shift between "N" and any gear, and that occasionally you have to look down at the dash to see what gear you're in, while in a MT you can tell what gear you're in simply by feeling the shifter.

Plus, perhaps in the future, an aftermarket company will make paddle shifters for your steering wheel that tap into the sportshift switches. Now that would be cool!
Old 10-08-2003, 04:54 PM
Drifting

I agree that you should let your wife test drive the 6 MT and get comfortable with it. It is extremely easy to shift, in comparison to others I've driven--she might really enjoy it. I'm of the "wife" variety, and while I may not be as much of an enthusiast as some, a nice drive in an MT car sometimes does a woman good. If she can get over how much of a pain it is to engage both the clutch and brake in high heels sometimes, she might be asking to drive the MT more often.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Here's a point to make in favor of MT. Even Queen Elizabeth drives manual shift Range Rovers around her estates. I saw it on a PBS documentary about the Queen a couple years ago.

Consider that the Queen could have any car in the world that she wanted, but she chose to drive MT.

I can think of some wonderful schmoozing for your "princess wife" to accept and appreciate MT.

And remember what Dr. Phil might say about the importance of compromising in relationships. Having an equal split between AT and MT cars (Intrigue and TSX) couldn't be a better equitable compromise, could it?

You don't care for AT; she doesn't care for MT. Here's an opportunity for both of you to be satisfied. Get the MT TSX. It's arguably very fair, and it happens that's what you really want. Equitability and compromise fit the glove nicely. And the Queen drives MT!