Buying a new TSX

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 11:19 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a new TSX

Hi, this is my first post on the acru-tsx forum.

I’ve been shopping for a new car in the sport sedan category for the past several months and during the course of my search I’ve tested just about every car in this category (BMW 235i, Audi A4, Lexus IS300, C230 Kompressor, Infiniti G35, Saab 9-3, Subaru Impreza). In every case, each car had features I really liked. However, in most cases, there was also a few things which ultimately forced me to keep looking. Things like; overall cost, pricy options, reliability issues, fit and finish.

Of all the cars I tried only a few seemed to have all of the features I was looking for at a reasonable cost. Three of these vehicles were Honda products, while the other was the Mazda 6. However, after several test drives of the Mazda, I reluctantly dropped it from my list. Ultimately, I found that the seats in the Mazda were not quite as comfortable as is some of the other cars I tested. Also, I found the headlights didn’t provide enough illumination at night for my tastes.

While searching for my new car, a friend put me on to this forum and I’ve been checking out the posts over the last few months. I have to admit that I’ve been a bit concerned about some of the reported problems (i.e rattles, soft paint, etc.). I asked some of the Acura salespeople about these problems. One guy brushed them off, but another acknowledged the problem saying that some cars he sold had come back to have rattles and other noises repaired, while others never reported any problems at all. I was told that the Acura dealership would fix any problem I encountered with problems like this.

So, at the end of the day, it came down to a decision between three vehicles – the TSX, the TL or, surprisingly, the Accord V6-MT coupe. Both the coupe and the TL had beautiful 6 cylinder engines and provided an excellent driving experience. However, in the end I wasn’t really looking for a coupe and so the Accord fell by the wayside. A personal preference on the TL I guess, but apart from that great 3.2 litre engine, I found that I couldn’t justify the additional $7,000 cost. I felt that in many respects the interior of the TSX was actually a bit nicer than that of the TL. As I said this was my personal preference only.

Last week I finally made my decision and put an offer on a new TSX, although I must confess, I still have a few concerns about the 4 cylinder engine. Not that it’s a bad engine. It’s just that I’ve always owned cars with the larger engines before and this will be my first 4 cylinder. However, for a smaller engine, it’s pretty good – Honda has been refining this 4 cylinder engine for years and it certainly shows. I think I test-drove the TSX five times before finally making my decision.

I’m just on my way to the dealer this morning to pick up my new car. Perhaps I’ll send an update after I’ve spent some time with the vehicle.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Sile

Congrats and good luck.
I too thought the 4 was going to be short on power. It really is a fun car to drive and it makes up for it in many ways.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:58 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
Welcome to the site and post pics of the new car.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Advanced

Welcome also! As for the rattles, my dealer fixed it. Took them 3 days and got a loaner in the process. Very quiet now. That's my only complaint since I got it in Dec.