Buying a new 2006 TSX out of state questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a new 2006 TSX out of state questions

I've been trying the last week or so to get a 2006 TSX from the only Acura dealership that is in the state I live in. My exterior I've narrowed it down to 3 different colors I'd like. The interior I definitely want Ebony with navi and MT. The guy I've been working with I like so far. Got a great price quote from him. Just having a helluva time getting him to find a car meeting my criteria. He's found 5 so far from other dealerships in my region but he hasn't been able to get the car from them. As of today he has found 2 cars on the lots that would have to be swapped with what they have on stock. So I'd have to pay a transport fee. 1 would be $400.00 the other would be $800.00. So right now I'm waiting for him to get back to me on these 2 cars. I know that this can happen with a new car. I'm almost wondering if I should just say to hell with it and just drive the 300-700 mile drive to get the car I want. I don't mind paying the extra money to have it transported if need be. What I'm worried about are what additional fees I might have to pay by buying the car out of state. Does anyone know how things work with the taxes and the registration? It'd be really GREAT of course to just have everything local and all tied up in the final purchase price of the car. Anyon'es input on any of this would be great...!
Old 02-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Instructor

from what i know and done before, you just buy the car from the other state and tell them you are not a resident there and will pay tax on the new car in the state that you live in. you just do paperwork there and will pay tax and registration at your own state. hope that helps you out a little bit.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Instructor

It does thanks! That's the impression I had but who do you pay the taxes to? And when etc? The DMV? The IRS directly?
Old 02-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Advanced

Tax rules vary widely as far as I know state to state with regards to vehicle purchases. Check with both the state you would be purchasing from and the state in which you reside.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
top three exterior choices?

What are the three exterior colors you're looking at?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Instructor

I was hoping to get either 1. ROyal Blue Pearl. 2. Carbon Grey 3. Nighthwak Black.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Something a friend of mine had mentioned to me the other day, was that when paying taxes for out of state purchased vehicles, you have to pay cash! No credit allowed

Does anyone know if this is true? If this is the case, maybe I might have success getting the car I want without the navi. And then instead of having to pay taxes afterwards by buying out of state, just turn around and spend that money on an aftermarket navi instead?

That might be the better option, hell buying a new car can be a serious pain in the ass.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:50 PM
yup.

I bought mine out of state, used checks and credit no problems...

and when I got back to my home state, I had to pay the sales tax when I picked up my state license plate...and they only took cash or check.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Instructor

I am going through a very similar scenario right now and essentially they are just going to give me the temp paper plates and then I have to pay tax when I register the car in my home state.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Hey paranode

I read your thread about your situation and yea it does sound kinda similar to what I'm going through. I should hear back from my salesman tomorrow about those other 2 out of state cars that can be transported here. If they aren't able to transport them here than that means there has been 7 cars that fit what I'm trying to buy that has he had no success in getting me. It's getting really old having him call me every other day to have him give me nothing but bad news. And then me telling him "Ok well what about in this color?" "Or how about this or that?" And then sitting around waiting for him to call me the next day with a "Nope, we couldn't get that car either. So what do you want to do now?"
Makes me wonder if my salesman is actually there for me or not. Or any good or whatever.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Instructor

I'm also considering silver for the exterior if I bomb out on those other 2 cars. I should have the most luck with that color I would think.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:28 PM
tsx's4playinwith

Dont pay the transport fee I wanted a artic blue with quarts and the dealer could only find 3 of them in 4 states, so he had it tansported over from anotherr dealer in NJ and i didnt pay any fee at all for it
Old 02-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Racer

For sure, you will need a temporary permit for each state you drive through. (i.e. you buy a car in Oregon and live in Arizona, you'll need one for Oregon and California (about $20 each)

Generally, once you get in your home state you will have 10 days to register the car (without any penalties) and will have to pay your state tax at the time of registration.

However, I bet if you called the out of state dealer ahead of time, they could probably get the proper paperwork together (all they need is your state DMV forms and tax rate info) and build your contract accordingly.

I live in Oregon and have bought 3 cars in Washington with no problems.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gt0279a
For sure, you will need a temporary permit for each state you drive through. (i.e. you buy a car in Oregon and live in Arizona, you'll need one for Oregon and California (about $20 each)

Generally, once you get in your home state you will have 10 days to register the car (without any penalties) and will have to pay your state tax at the time of registration.

However, I bet if you called the out of state dealer ahead of time, they could probably get the proper paperwork together (all they need is your state DMV forms and tax rate info) and build your contract accordingly.

I live in Oregon and have bought 3 cars in Washington with no problems.
Another way, which is what I'm doing, I'm buying my car in MASS, but live in Maine. As soon as the dealer has the VIN # for me, which should be this week, I can go secure my financing. Have the bank check overnighted (or some other secure form of mail) to the dealership. This check will include MASS sales tax, (which is the same as Maine 5%). They will mail me all the sales paperwork, including a receipt for sales tax, and I can then go to my town office, get my license plates, and take them with me to drive home with when my car if finally ready.

If you pay sales tax in another state, you only have to pay in YOUR state if there is a difference. If you've paid 5% and your state is 6%, you have to pay the other 1% when you register. However, if you've overpaid, your loss.