Buyer's Remorse

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:37 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buyer's Remorse

Sooooo... it's been a week since I bought my very first and first new car (TSX).

Given my age and all, besides wasting hundreds/thousands on Gundam models, buying a 26k automobile is like a "damn..." to me. Now I'm going around in my head "was it the right choice?"

I love it and all and I'm also able to support it (pay gas, finance, etc) no problem but...I don't know! someone slap some sense into me!

I don't know why I would even have remorse... I wake up every morning just looking forward to driving it, and I love to baby it.

arghh! I don't know!!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:43 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
is it a rebound car? are you still getting over your ex-car? well, i had the same feelings when i traded my 00 TL for the 03 CLS 6mt, the drive home i was kind of regreting it not having the extra 2 doors, and not having to shift, but the more i drove it the more i knew i made the right choice. so..it may take time..
Old 05-23-2007, 01:53 AM
Pro

i just think you feel guilty about spending so much money, it is your first new car after all. I assume you're usually very wise with your spending so i guess it hurts a little when you drop 26k on something.. even if you love it
Old 05-23-2007, 02:38 AM
Advanced

If you have remorse on the the purchase, then try to be cheap on other things and that would make you feel better.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

At the age of 18 i would assume your just having a problem with the money issue or maybe a little bit of boy racer? (prob just the money though) Are your car payments and insurance really high? What other expenses do you have? Just trying to ask some questions and make you think about why you might be feeling this way. I know at 18 i could have no way in heck bought a $26k car or a $12k car for that matter.....lol. Then again, i was on 3 soccer teams, and really involved in school so......yea.....lol
Old 05-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Zyuan10
Sooooo... it's been a week since I bought my very first and first new car (TSX).

Given my age and all, besides wasting hundreds/thousands on Gundam models, buying a 26k automobile is like a "damn..." to me. Now I'm going around in my head "was it the right choice?"

I love it and all and I'm also able to support it (pay gas, finance, etc) no problem but...I don't know! someone slap some sense into me!

I don't know why I would even have remorse... I wake up every morning just looking forward to driving it, and I love to baby it.

arghh! I don't know!!
I went through similar feelings when I was your age (a looooong time ago) and if I had it to do again, I'd be putting my money almost anywhere but in an automobile (pretty much the premiere depreciating asset that you can't eat or drink). But I didn't know then what I know now, and even if a bunch of people told me I may be making a mistake (which probably did happen), I wouldn't have listened. Some things you have to learn for yourself, and the folly of spending a large percentage of your disposal income on a car when you're 18 seems to be one of them (26 large is allot of money for most people any age). Although a TSX seems an unlikely aspiration for an 18 year old (Civic Si, GTI, or WRX come to mind), enjoy your car.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
At the age of 18 i would assume your just having a problem with the money issue or maybe a little bit of boy racer? (prob just the money though) Are your car payments and insurance really high? What other expenses do you have? Just trying to ask some questions and make you think about why you might be feeling this way. I know at 18 i could have no way in heck bought a $26k car or a $12k car for that matter.....lol. Then again, i was on 3 soccer teams, and really involved in school so......yea.....lol
Same here, only I was a year-round swimmer and could only work on Sundays, and not even every Sunday, lol. That money was basically just a little spending money. At 18, I think you'd be better off with a less expensive car, but what's done is done. Maybe in a few weeks you'll feel better about it.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:08 AM
V True Story V

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i bought my TSX at 18 with 5k down. and you know what, i don't regret it at all. i mean yea, every once in awhile when i can't go out an buy rims for it i'm like damn i shouldn't have dropped 24,900 at such a young age...but then when i go out an wash 'Matilda' or just the drive home make it all worth while.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:06 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Spending 25K on a car at 18 year old is like me spending 150K on a car at my age. I would have second thoughts on spending that kind of money on anything that only depreciates in value every year and is only worth half of what it worth in 5 years while costing $2,000-$4,000 per year to operate (gas/insurance/mods/maint).

Sometimes you make the right decision. Sometimes you make a decision right. You have to decide for yourself what will work for you in the next 3-5 years down the road.

I once purchased a car I wanted and could barely afford (88 Merkur Scorpio back in the day). It was a fun to drive; but, the cost/maint took money away from paying for school (more loans), cheaper/less vacations, cheaper apartment, and increase in credit card debt. I really started to hate the car because of my bad decision. If you can live with the ripple effect of spending 25K, then keep the car.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Buying a new car is a financial mistake to begin with. It makes absolutely no logical sense to pay for a fastly depreciating appliance that can be had for much less at 2-3 years old, however everybody thrives for the experience of owning a new car in their life and that's a choice you made.

Learn from this experience and always try to look at the positive side(longer warranty, less headache, knowing the full history of the car and ...). Unfortunately there's not too many positive things about a new car other than the overall feeling.

Next time you want to buy a car, be smarter and buy used.

I bought my 06 brand new, but this will be my last new car. The $4-$5K saving can be spent/invested in a much wiser fashion.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I once purchased a car I wanted and could barely afford (88 Merkur Scorpio back in the day). It was a fun to drive; but, the cost/maint took money away from paying for school (more loans), cheaper/less vacations, cheaper apartment, and increase in credit card debt. I really started to hate the car because of my bad decision. If you can live with the ripple effect of spending 25K, then keep the car.
I'd be willing to bet money that very few of these 18 year olds are in the situation you were.

Colts is a perfect example of an 18 year old where all his money goes to one thing, his car. And nothing wrong with that. But when I see an 18 year old put up a post of "buyers remorse", that throws up a red flag for me.

If the op is in the situation mrgold was in, then yea, I could see the reasoning for buyers remorse. If not seriously, stfu. Own a house, pay bills, buy a 30K car and THEN come back with your buyers remorse story...
Old 05-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Instructor

I went through this exact issue when I leased my TSX about 3 months ago. I was so excited to finally get a new car, one that someone else didn't get to enjoy (scratch, stain, etc.)before me. Everything was fine until I had to start signing papers. Holy mother of moses my attitude changed in an instant. haha. On the drive home I started worrying about what would happen if I lost my job or had an issue where I couldn't make my payments. I wanted my CL back so bad I couldn't stand it. I was keeping a log book on my miles just to make sure I didn't go over...I was pathetic.

It has now been a few months and I no longer feel this way. I love the car and it makes me happy. My grandfather just passed away from lung cancer on May 4, he was my best bud, and his passing has made me realize life is to short to spend it worrying. You purchased a get car that will last a very long time. Take some comfort in knowing the TSX holds its value like a champ. Just enjoy it and the worry or remorse will quickly fade...you have only had it a week.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by billabong05
Everything was fine until I had to start signing papers. Holy mother of moses my attitude changed in an instant. haha. On the drive home I started worrying about what would happen if I lost my job or had an issue where I couldn't make my payments.
That's 1/10th of what driving to your new home after closing on it is like.

I've heard a pretty good metric for determining if a car is a good fit money wise for someone, and that's that the car should be no more than half your income per year. So if you make 60k, a 30k car is reasonable.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Instructor

I had buyers remorse too.

But it wasn't as bad since I paid cash, and didn't deal with the ripoff financing on a 30k car.

At least you can afford making payments. What I don't understand is people who have a Hummer H2 and a boat, and lament about how they are so in debt.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Daffunda
I had buyers remorse too.

But it wasn't as bad since I paid cash, and didn't deal with the ripoff financing on a 30k car.

At least you can afford making payments. What I don't understand is people who have a Hummer H2 and a boat, and lament about how they are so in debt.
Actually if you had financed and invested all that cash, you probably would've returned the interest + more over the course of a standard auto loan (5 years for example).
Old 05-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Instructor

I know...my parents said the same thing. The thought gives me chills.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by billabong05

I know...my parents said the same thing. The thought gives me chills.
Seriously.....the thought of draining my savings account that I have set up for my down payment on a house scares the crap out of me. And I thought putting $9k down on the car was bad, lol....
Old 05-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Racer

whew... thanks for all the comments, everyone.

I feel a tad bit better now though. I guess it's just the thought of spending 26k and the years of other money i'll be spending to take care of it is just oh so great of a responsibility (one I've never had to have). It's my choice and all but like I said before, I LOVE my TSX. I don't regret buying it nor do I feel it is not worth it. Just the whole "maintenance" thing kinda downs me.

As for my spending power, I don't have too much to complain about here. Since I still have a good few hundred every month left after paying for finance. My college cost is covered (full ride). I'm not a spendy person. I only buy what I like and there's not much to spend my money.

I know there are people out there who should be having worse remorse scenarios than I do (houses, boats, whatever "luxury" items), but everyone has different buying power and range so "go buy a house then come back with buyers remorse!" doesn't really uhh... work (?).

Again, I have no problem paying off the car plus all the other stuff. It's just seeing such large sum of money flowing out of my pocket for the first time has its initial negative effects.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I'll be off cruising with my TSX now
Old 05-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Zyuan10
whew... thanks for all the comments, everyone.

I feel a tad bit better now though. I guess it's just the thought of spending 26k and the years of other money i'll be spending to take care of it is just oh so great of a responsibility (one I've never had to have). It's my choice and all but like I said before, I LOVE my TSX. I don't regret buying it nor do I feel it is not worth it. Just the whole "maintenance" thing kinda downs me.

As for my spending power, I don't have too much to complain about here. Since I still have a good few hundred every month left after paying for finance. My college cost is covered (full ride). I'm not a spendy person. I only buy what I like and there's not much to spend my money.

I know there are people out there who should be having worse remorse scenarios than I do (houses, boats, whatever "luxury" items), but everyone has different buying power and range so "go buy a house then come back with buyers remorse!" doesn't really uhh... work (?).

Again, I have no problem paying off the car plus all the other stuff. It's just seeing such large sum of money flowing out of my pocket for the first time has its initial negative effects.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I'll be off cruising with my TSX now
Heh.....yeah, payments, maintenance, etc. all have a way of bringing you back down to earth! Don't worry, you'll get over it after a while. And then just remember how this feels now when you feel like trading the car in a few years down the road.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:49 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
I love spending money lol, so it never bothered me, but I go through cars like it's out of fasion, my TSX is my 4th car and I'm only 22. This time I bought it new and love it so I'll hang on for a while. You'll feel better, especially after the PDX summer meet =P
Old 05-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Undercover Slacker

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Seriously.....the thought of draining my savings account that I have set up for my down payment on a house scares the crap out of me.
glad i'm not the only one who is scared...
Old 05-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dalieu
glad i'm not the only one who is scared...
I need a faster way of coming up with $70k
Old 05-24-2007, 07:35 AM
V True Story V

I need a faster way of coming up with $70k
if you figure one out let me know
Old 05-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Seriously.....the thought of draining my savings account that I have set up for my down payment on a house scares the crap out of me. And I thought putting $9k down on the car was bad, lol....
I plan on living in a van down by the river.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:47 AM
08 MDX with Sports

18? 26k car? what the heck, you should have gotten 2000 GSR or 2002 RSX-S tsk tsk~tsk..

:^) congrats and hope you got 6speed at least..
Old 05-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

26k car for a 18 year old is huge. You should get a cheaper car. But whats done is done. The only thing you can do is keep the car as long as you can, treat it good, and don't go do stupid stuff like speeding, racing etc. And know the fact that making money aint easy.

Anywayz enjoy the car~
Old 05-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wenge
I don't have any experience with buying a new home (hopefully within the next few years ), but I would think it'd be a little easier to digest since property tends to appreciate in value (as opposed to a car), so at least you're building equity with every payment you make.

...unless you're driving in your home instead of to it, in which case you're F'ed .
Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
New car with a stiff payment has it's advantages and disadvantages compared to rolling old school with no payment (but the car itself needs constant attention).

It's a tough choice, especially when you're a car guy who's picky about driving a "nice" car that you can be proud of. (Non car-people I do envy sometimes...they can drive an old sled, save a ton of money, and not care if their car is "cool" or not.)

Yeah, it's cheaper to drive an oldy and just be happy with it, but we all know that even an old car can be a money pit (My old MR2 Turbo was, so was the old AWD Talon TSi). Some guys spend outragous amounts of money on older cars.

Now that I'm out in the working world I dont have as much interest in the maintence and tinkering an old car needs to keep it running right as a daily driver. I dont like car payments, as my cheap side will tell you, but the fact of the matter is you have to have a car if you're most people, so pick your poison.

Just go ahead and enjoy the car for the time being. You're young and dont have many of the financial worries an independent adult has. I was a hot-shot with a cool car that was too expensive when I was 18 too. It's just a phase you go through.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Racer

Well, my dad is against used car at all cost. He absolutely does not trust used cars simply because there's no absolute way to tell if the car has been abused or not... among a lot of other things. Also a used TSX and a new TSX are both priced above 20k despite the model years so he said might as well get a new one.

I know I surprised a lot of people with my car in relation to my age. Everyone (literally) thought I would be in one of those civics or other compact cars that suits the teenager (and to some extent, asian teenager). Honestly, I really don't like those cars nor do I have any interest in them. blah blah gas saving and cheap blah blah me don't care. I respect them for what they are but... they don't suit my fancy. I also don't want to put up with being automatically typecasted into the "ricer" scene. I don't care if people think that way about the car but when they have to open their mouth with the "omg! a civic! are you going to do anything to mod it?!" (most likely referring to putting a park bench on the trunk and coffee can).

Yea, my TSX was 26k~ but I got some help from my parents so I, alone, only have to pay off 16k 300 a month. Not bad at all.

Anyway... I'm out of my remorse. I enjoy my TSX to the fullest. I know it's a ride that most of my friends can only dream of driving at this age (going by their comments and laziness) bwahaha >_>;;
Old 05-25-2007, 07:19 AM
Racer

Hope you get over your remorse, my friend. It's a great car! Congrats

My only remorse is that I didn't get navi... stupid me!!!
Old 06-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Yes, I had a remorse too when I got my car. I tried to save on some other things like spending less on eating out, less movie to make me feel better.