"Brembo" brakes....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think this has been discussed b-4....and they wont fit or work properly......sorry.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:16 PM
Racer

Stoptech's Aero Rotors have better cooling techniques than the rotors that come in Brembo's Gran Turismo Big Brake Kits. On top of that ALL Stoptech kits are designed to maintain the EXACT SAME BALANCE as stock while still providing for much much better braking than stock.

I hate to sound like a Stoptech salesperson but I once had a chance to drive a 3G Eclipse with Stoptech's and the brakes were FREAKIN' AMAZING! Soooo much better than my Baer Track Kit.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:22 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally posted by Nighthawk04
Stoptech's Aero Rotors have better cooling techniques than the rotors that come in Brembo's Gran Turismo Big Brake Kits. On top of that ALL Stoptech kits are designed to maintain the EXACT SAME BALANCE as stock while still providing for much much better braking than stock.

I hate to sound like a Stoptech salesperson but I once had a chance to drive a 3G Eclipse with Stoptech's and the brakes were FREAKIN' AMAZING! Soooo much better than my Baer Track Kit.
so does that mean you'll be buying some when they are available...
Old 02-24-2004, 08:29 PM
Racer

As soon as I find out that they'll fit whatever wheel I have.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Do I Make You Horny?

so, stoptech are the way to go?
just curious though...if there so much better, howcome they arent on any high performance cars like the brembos?.....just curious, not trying to be a smartass or anything.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:40 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by 21_in_az
just curious though...if there so much better, howcome they arent on any high performance cars like the brembos?.....just curious, not trying to be a smartass or anything.
One word......marketing.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

understandable......but, now i think less of porsche and ferrari for not useing the best!

if i pay $100k or more for a car, i want the best of everything!

just my $0.02.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:09 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Brembo probably just markets their stuff more aggresively.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Racer

any reliable evidence?!

wow...i've learned so much useful info on brakes from this thread

but the thing is...people keep saying that Stoptech outperforms Brembo, any solid evidence/data that can prove this statement? so far the only place i can find is the Stoptech website...

i am not saying that i don't believe in you guys, just need some more solid evidence

thanks guys
Old 02-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Photography Nerd

understandable......but, now i think less of porsche and ferrari for not useing the best!

if i pay $100k or more for a car, i want the best of everything!

just my $0.02.
Well AFAIK Porshe develeops their own brakes or maybe in conjunction with Brembo and Brembo is Itallian so it's only natural that Ferrari uses them. I'm sure StopTech is building a name for themselves and we'll start seeing them elewhere in the near future.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

i second that, more eveidence would be helpfull.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
In support of Dan's statement about marketing, the reason Brembos are so popular is because you see their logo on the sides of tons of race cars. They sponsor a lot of race cars and when people see the logo on the side of a race car, they think that it has to be good, not realizing that Brembo probably donated the brake system. Stop-tech should start doing the same thing to build their reputation in the racing community.

As for Porsche and Ferrari, they do indeed develop their own brake systems. Personally, I'd like a set of PCCB's (that's Porsche Carbon-Ceramic Brakes). That should make the TSX stop on a dime.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

i was thinking about something here........if great brakes were put onto the tsx, it would be because it needed it.

the tl got brembos, the tsx got whatever it got.

the tl is faster, and therefore needs better braking capability...where as the tsx is slower, and doesnt need as good of brakes as the tl.

so, in theory, we dont need brakes untill we get more horsepower and torque.

im sure someone will get all mad at me for saying that, but, again this is just my IMO!
Old 02-25-2004, 04:37 PM
I spend 2 much time here

i was thinking about something here........if great brakes were put onto the tsx, it would be because it needed it.

the tl is faster, and therefore needs better braking capability...where as the tsx is slower, and doesnt need as good of brakes as the tl.

im sure someone will get all mad at me for saying that, but, again this is just my IMO!
how Dare you say that!!!!!

jus kidding, i kind of agree. but i still wish i had some big brakes on my ride. they look cool.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally posted by JiggaMan
how Dare you say that!!!!!

jus kidding, i kind of agree. but i still wish i had some big brakes on my ride. they look cool.
I'm surprised you ever leave the house! With "access" to an ass like the one in your avatar you shouldn't be going anywhere!

Old 02-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

ya, i would be pounding that ass so hard, it would start to get skinny!

is that j-lo?
Old 02-25-2004, 05:54 PM
I spend 2 much time here

you guys are sick!!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:43 PM
Racer

I don't think your looking at it like a road racer would. Take for instance me. On my Eclipse I have a JIC FLT-A2 race suspension, a Baer Track Kit, and absolutely no engine mods other than a K&N drop in air filter.

If I were to be on a road course with an Eclipse with the same suspension, same engine w/ minor mods, same tires, and STOCK brakes, my car would be able to go faster for a longer period of time since I have the ability to brake later without crossing the threshold of lock-up. In theory that would put me ahead of the other car.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:53 PM
Racer

i second that, more eveidence would be helpfull.
Give John Mueller a call at RRE (Road Race Engineering) out in Sante Fe Springs California at (562) 777-1522 and ask him why he thinks Stoptech Big Brake Kits are better than Brembo kits.

Be prepared to learn a great deal of information!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:54 PM
Racer

any strong evidences to prove that StopTech outperfoms Brembo!?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think better brakes are always important regardless how much HP the TSX has, because you don't need a lot of HP to cruise at 100 mph. But the car with better brakes will always stop quicker in a shorter distance. Also, the best brake won't do you any good if the car has poor tires, as they are the only thing that contact the road.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Dani
any strong evidences to prove that StopTech outperfoms Brembo!?
John will more than likely be able to email links to video's showing comparisons between the two.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by JTso
I think better brakes are always important regardless how much HP the TSX has, because you don't need a lot of HP to cruise at 100 mph. But the car with better brakes will always stop quicker in a shorter distance. Also, the best brake won't do you any good if the car has poor tires, as they are the only thing that contact the road.
Plus, Acura could use it as a marketing point, particularly with the safety conscious. The average consumer would think: the better the brakes are, the better the car stops, and thus the safer it must be. (Although we all know that no matter how good or safe a car is, putting even a crappy driver behind the wheel can still lead to problems)
Old 02-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Burning Brakes

how long do rotors last before you have to switch them?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Do I Make You Horny?

i know that the rear rotors are mostly for looks only, but, i want one of those as well. do you think stoptech will make one?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Photography Nerd

i know that the rear rotors are mostly for looks only, but, i want one of those as well. do you think stoptech will make one?
I doubt it. The only rear rotor kit they make is for the NSX. You could get a front rotor kit and put it on the back if you want to get a brake proportioning valve. If it's just for looks I would get some slotted rotors and paint the calipers. That mod would only cost a couple hundred bucks and you'd probably get a little better fade resistance to boot.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Do I Make You Horny?

since i already have painted calys, it will be easy then!

BUT, HOW DOES COMPTECH ROTORS COMPARE? they are slotted, not cross drilled....i think. why not just do these all around, since slotted are better than cross-drilled........im curious. anyone know?
Old 02-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Photography Nerd

Drilling weakens the rotor and apparently slotting is more effective at dispersing oil and water that may be on the rotor.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Do I Make You Horny?

right, but how does comptech compare to stoptech, or brembo?

i cant find any info on them.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Photography Nerd

Stoptech rotors will make your car stop 40 feet shorter than any other braking system on the market!

J/K

Actually I think there will be a very minor difference between the three companies. I would probably stick with either Stoptech or Brembo simply because they specialize in brakes. Stoptech will probably be a lot cheaper than Brembo.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:27 AM
such a dirty birdy

Originally posted by Dan Martin
Stoptech rotors will make your car stop 40 feet shorter than any other braking system on the market!
What I want to know is the relative stopping power of Stoptech and Brembo STICKERS. I'm thinking the Brembo stickers have to be better since they are the ones seen on the race cars. Probably good for about 10 ft per sticker and 12ft each if applied to a car with painted calipers.
:P
Old 02-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Photography Nerd

Major, those stickers actually flare out when you hit the brakes and act as air brakes similar to what you would have on an airplane. They should be good for an additional 20' easy... :P
Old 02-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Do I Make You Horny?

ya, the stickers are SOOOO AWESOME! there so awesome, you need a shopping cart wing on your car just to keep it on the ground!

hey, i heard theres an upgradeable brembo sticker that when you hit the brakes, little people pop out and stop your car!!! is this true?!?!?!?! maybe thats why there so exspennsive, its costly to keep them little buggars fed!!
Old 02-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Team Owner

ya, the stickers are SOOOO AWESOME! there so awesome, you need a shopping cart wing on your car just to keep it on the ground!

hey, i heard theres an upgradeable brembo sticker that when you hit the brakes, little people pop out and stop your car!!! is this true?!?!?!?! maybe thats why there so exspennsive, its costly to keep them little buggars fed!!
HAHA...that's hilarious!!
Old 02-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I can't believe that this post if 5 pages long and nobody pointed out that bigger slotted (or drilled) rotors, bigger 4 piston calipers and all the fancy hardware won't mean diddly unless you increase the friction the tires are able to generate against the road.

Let's face it, the stock brakes are strong enough to lock up the tires already. Once the ABS is on, it doesn't matter how much clamping force you have. The tires won't let you stop faster.

Fade is another issue alltogether and yes, better brakes would have a higher tolerance to fade than the current stock system. But this issue does not seem to be the major talking point.

Bottom line: If you want to stop faster, get some sticky tires and the stock system will do you fine. If you want to stop fast for several laps (track environment) you need both more brake and more tire.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Photography Nerd

Colin, you're right that tires will probably make the biggest improvement to your stopping times. IMHO a big brake kit is probably worthless for a street car. Most of the gains from a kit could be had by just upgrading the pads on the stock system. People do it more for style than anything else in which case it doesn't really matter what brand they go for.

Oh BTW, this is only page 2 for me. :P
You can adjust the comments per page in your "User CP" section at the top.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Colin
I can't believe that this post if 5 pages long and nobody pointed out that bigger slotted (or drilled) rotors, bigger 4 piston calipers and all the fancy hardware won't mean diddly unless you increase the friction the tires are able to generate against the road.

Let's face it, the stock brakes are strong enough to lock up the tires already. Once the ABS is on, it doesn't matter how much clamping force you have. The tires won't let you stop faster.

Fade is another issue alltogether and yes, better brakes would have a higher tolerance to fade than the current stock system. But this issue does not seem to be the major talking point.

Bottom line: If you want to stop faster, get some sticky tires and the stock system will do you fine. If you want to stop fast for several laps (track environment) you need both more brake and more tire.
Yes, I agree and I have pointed it out. See my previous post.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally posted by JTso
Yes, I agree and I have pointed it out. See my previous post.
Oh Damn, I thought I read every post before I posted that.... Sorry I missed your message.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

No problem Colin, I'm glad that we share the same thought.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Advanced

Is it possible to improve brake feel withough changing the system?

I would like the brakes to engage faster, rather than to push the
pedal down so far.

Quick Reply: "Brembo" brakes....