Bought my Arctic Blue / Navi / Auto today !

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought my Arctic Blue / Navi / Auto today !

I just came home from Mike Harvey Acura where I purchased an Arctic Blue Pearl Automatic w/ Navigation! It should be here in a week or so. I also got the all season floormats, wheel locks, and the door edge trim. It's #10,191.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:03 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats! Wow, 10,000+ already...
Old 07-31-2003, 10:15 PM
wiz
Pro

From the chat room:

<Y2K4_TSX> "How much did you pay for your car? Were there any trade-ins, warranties or any add-ons?"
Old 07-31-2003, 10:29 PM
Instructor

I had a 99 VW Passat 1.8T GLS with low miles (37k), but dealers were only giving me $10k for it. I decided to sell it private party before purchasing the TSX. I put it up on www.craigslist.com, a great free web listing of stuff for sale (San Francisco bay area only). In a few days, I had a buyer and we settled on $13,900 for my VW.

I called and e-mailed at least 10 Acura dealers both here in Nor Cal and So Cal. I determined a good price for the TSX was $500 - $1000 below MSRP. The problem was that nobody had the particular car I wanted (Arctic Blue, Navi, Auto).

I had gone to Mike Harvey Acura 3 weeks ago and for some reason, their computers were down and they didn't know what cars were coming in. So, I said okay call me if you're getting the car I want. I never got a phone call. .... Fast forward to yesterday when I cold called them and I discovered that yes, they were getting the exact car I wanted in a few days. I made an appt to come in later that night.

I went to the dealership with my wife and spoke with Jeff (he's new there). I let him know I was ready to buy immediately. Then, I looked at the window pricing sticker for a Silver TSX somebody had just purchased ... $28,990 + $3,000 Dealer Markup = $31,990. WTF?!?!?! I immediately told Jeff "I'm NOT Paying this, you're ripping people off, no other Acura dealer I've spoken to is doing this"

There's a happy ending here ... After about a hour and a half of negotiation, I got them down to $500 below MSRP, accessories at cost, and free installation of said accessories. (I got the Door Edge Trim, All Season Mats, and Wheel Locks). Delivery will be in a few days, I can't wait!

Yes, I could have probably gotten them down a few hundred $ in hindsight, but I am happy with the deal.

OH and they tried pretty hard to sell me:
- Extended Warranty
- Paint Protection
- Leather Protection
- Alarm System

I laughed and said no about 5 times (they tried 5 times)
Old 07-31-2003, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

Just a test

only a test message
Old 07-31-2003, 11:02 PM
More On

Re: Just a test

Originally posted by Rosyna
only a test message
....only a test reply!

(C'mon, say something! )

P.S. Ever heard of Rosina Lhevinne?

(Just checking)
Old 07-31-2003, 11:33 PM
TSX, baby!

Yet another test.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:45 PM
More On

Am I the only one who didn't know there was gonna be a TEST????
Old 08-01-2003, 12:11 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Please resend the test message. I didn't get it.

IBTL!
Old 08-01-2003, 12:49 AM
Burning Brakes

[i]I called and e-mailed at least 10 Acura dealers both here in Nor Cal and So Cal. I determined a good price for the TSX was $500 - $1000 below MSRP...I had gone to Mike Harvey Acura 3 weeks ago and for some reason...

I went to the dealership...I looked at the window pricing sticker for a Silver TSX somebody had just purchased ... $28,990 + $3,000 Dealer Markup = $31,990. WTF?!?!?!... [/B]
Sorry, Mike Harvey Acura's sales tactics hit a raw chord with me.

<soapbox>

That phony little "dealer markup" is crude! I call it "toilet paper" padding. That's the same stunt that countless Honda and Toyota dealers pull on the SF Peninsula. Menlo Honda in Redwood City pulls that stunt too. I told the salesperson there that the phony add-on sticker was insulting. They don't care, so they don't deserve my business!

I see this type of padding less often in the East Bay and points east, so that's where I usually buy my cars. I don't recall seeing any Acura dealers pull that stunt, but I didn't contact Mike Harvey Acura.

When you initially emailed Mike Harvey Acura, what price did they actually quote you?

But the pressure they put on you to let them add on the extra "protection" crap says little good for the skills, ethics, and tactics of Mike Harvey Acura. Thanks for the warning. Those dealers who engage in sleazy and pressure sales tactics don't deserve anyone's business.
</soapbox>
Old 08-01-2003, 01:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by pansuria
I had gone to Mike Harvey Acura
<snip>
OH and they tried pretty hard to sell me:
- Extended Warranty
- Paint Protection
- Leather Protection
- Alarm System

I laughed and said no about 5 times (they tried 5 times)
I'm sorry. I'm still on a soapbox.

Did you get a Review Deal Sheet that shows you ALL the amounts and fees--out the door? I hope you did.

Watch out. Some of the dealers pull another kind of stunt of "dealer mark-up" under different guises. For example, a standard $45 doc fee suddenly becomes a $250 doc fee. Suddenly, the dealer invents a "dealer association fee" or an "advertising fee" that they grope to tack on to your sales contract in the amount of $100-$500. I hope this doesn't happen to you, but I personally know of dealers in the area who pull this stunt to try to make up for haggled-down prices. They pull this right when you are ready to sign the sales contract and pick up the car. They KNOW you are anxious to get your new car--just minutes away--so they add these "fees" that are not legally required and are totally discretionary on their part. (They have the license to lie verbally about their discretionary fees being "required".)
Old 08-01-2003, 01:17 AM
Instructor

I didn't e-mail them for a price. They were close to my home so I decided to just head over for a test drive.

I really wish Hopkins Acura had the car I wanted, I would have liked to purchase from them. Tom and Joe Sid were great to talk with, Tom especially.

Mike Harvey Acura played a lot of games, but at the end of the day, they were the only guys that had the car I wanted, so I had to deal with them.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:20 AM
Instructor

"Did you get a Review Deal Sheet that shows you ALL the amounts and fees--out the door? I hope you did."

Before I got to this point, I specifically said "I'm not going to pay for obviously bogus fees like Advertising Fees, etc.."
and there were none. Just a $45 doc fee.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:17 AM
TSX, baby!

I CAN POST AGAIN!!! YAHOO!!!!!
Old 08-01-2003, 04:23 AM
Advanced

hey fellow bay areans =D <--- butchered that spelling... Well Im in the East Bay and I was pretty happy about Concord Acura over here in Concord, anyone who has yet ordered their car should take an advantage there. I orded my CG/5AT/No Navi TSX for 26,200, in my mind that is still a very good price for a TSX at this time, I ordered it three weeks from today. Should be here this weekend or next. As for EMIL SANTOS, great sales, no pressure at all... sorta wierd I was a rookie walking into a sales and im 20 years old. This guy is honest and he will not jipp you... but juss one tad bit of excess... Acura of Concord tried to pull some b*llsh*t protection plan that was 800 dollars I believe, but at the end I told them I don't want all that crap, its like a list of stupid stuff like floor mats, trunk mat, door protectors, mudguards, etc... but yeah I told them no on that only the trunk mat will be fine, and then that is the only option I had, and they gave the trunk mat to me for invoice price, (the sales manager came out and said, Kid, your young but your good barginer) So finally I offered 26000 flat, and the guy came out and said we will meet you half way of what we offered (26,490, this was the offer after I gave them a hint of I wanted it cheaper), SO i end up signing for 26,200+fees, which in my mind is not too bad. So yeah tell Emil Peter sent you if you Bay Areans are buying a TSX.... btw Serrimonte Acura sucks... those guys are very hardeaded over the TSX.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by pansuria
"Did you get a Review Deal Sheet that shows you ALL the amounts and fees--out the door? I hope you did."

Before I got to this point, I specifically said "I'm not going to pay for obviously bogus fees like Advertising Fees, etc.."
and there were none. Just a $45 doc fee.
HUUUUUUUUUURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!

You made my day!

With a passion, I hate it when a dealer tries to pull various guises of mark-up stunts on unsuspecting customers!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Instructor

I spoke with Tyrone (or Tyrese it was hard to hear) from Acura of Concord. Nice to speak with on the phone. Of all the dealerships I visited / talked to, theirs and Hopkins Acura was the most pleasant. And Pleasanton Acura was actually the worst, go figure.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:00 AM
Advanced

Pleasanton Acura SUCKS.... I donno rich people over there I guess, I went to their dealership and those guys are really stuckup like no other. Acura of Concord... I heard that there are a few dealers to stay away from, but the one I had was fine, I guess in every dealership there is always half and half... go figure