Body kit regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body kit regrets?

Anyone here regret adding the full oem body kit to their tsx? I just purchased the kit online for my 05 CG/ebony tsx. I'm waiting for it to be delivered....Just wondering if I made a mistake. My gf took a look at a NHB tsx with the oem body kit installed and she loved it a lot. I think the car looks great without the body kit but it seems too high.. I've been reading posts that the body kit makes the car look too bulky or like a 4x4...that's why I started thinking about my purchase decision. I know looks are subjective but I got a lot of great compliments from my co-workers about the car. I hoping the body kit will help receive even more compliments...but I surely don't want people to say.."i think it looked better without it".. Any reassuring comments? Can the body kit be removed after it has been installed? I could always return to sender. thanks.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Subie Tech

Instead of the OEM I have to Japanese one and I don't regert it one bit and I'm sure no one here regrets getting it.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I kinda regret not getting the EuroR kit instead, but either way, I think the OEM kit still makes the TSX look better. The stock TSX front end is just too plain, imo.... seems like it's missing its chin or something.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you made a great choice but I agree the Euro R body kit looks alot better.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Looks are subjective. I really like the car without the body kit. I think the lines are nice and clean. I really think TSX look good lowered and with rims, but no body cladding. Body kits to me always remind me of "pontiac sports cars", to make a car sporty, just through some plastic on the bottom. This is just my 2 cents, I am sure lots of people disagree. Don't beat me up to bad.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Advanced

I went through the same thing. The second I saw my kit installed in knew I made the right choice.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Drifting

no regret at all since i'm a big fan of the oem look. the kit makes the car look sportier, but doesn't try too hard to get attention; it's simple and stylish. the euro kit is pretty nice, but i really didn't like the front lip.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I love mine, sometimes I wonder whether I should've gotten the Euro-R, but in the end I love the OEM and am very happy with it.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Instructor

euro-r baby...JDM style....mine should be arriving soon...very soon
Old 02-22-2005, 01:58 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WOw.....many people do love the JDM...same here.... how much are you guys getting it for? BEcasue I am trying to find a good deal on it.......

I love the Mugen and Feel's kit... too bad they are so $$$
Old 02-22-2005, 08:58 AM
Intermediate

My dealership - in a surprising move considering they would have made more money - suggested that I DON'T by the aero kit because they heard from TSX owners that it rattled. Any kit owners have that experience?

I like the clean lines of my stock TSX (SSM, 5AT, NAVI) and I'm pleased that I didn't get the kit. To me, the side spoiler looks "tacked on" instead of integrated into the body. like the TL's aero kit. I'm eventually gonna get new rims and the A-Spec suspension down the road.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Instructor

I agree. The stock kit looks too bolted on for me. I came from a VW where companies like Votex and Ottenginer made full replacement bumper kits that looked WAY better, IMO. I would love to have a lower look, but it's not gonna be with the OEM kit. To be honest, I do like a lower stock TSX w/ 19's the best. I just wish the front fog light openings were a little sharper shape to match the wedge of the car. They are too soft and rounded off.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

i like the oem - but if i would have known i was goin to mod my car - i would have bought the jdm one instead

:troutslap
Old 02-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Hondaholic

Obviously, just from reading this thread, there are many different views on what looks best. Some like it stock with the clean lines, others like the OEM kit, and there's a large following for the JDM kit as well. So when your co-workers see your new OEM kit, you'll probably get that same mixed reaction as well.

Not a problem to take it off and sell it if you don't like it. There's a lot of CG's out there.....

I think it looks better on darker cars because you don't see the seems as much, but I ordered one for my SSM anyway, because my personal feeling is that the bottom of the car is "missing" something-the kit makes it a little wider at the bottom, which helps give the impression of low and wide.

I was going to go with the JDM kit as well, but the more I looked at it, the more it seemed to be almost an "aftermarket" look. The slots in the front lip were the first thing to start bothering me. And it doesn't seem to go with the factory grill; would be much better with the Euro R grill, but then you have to rebadge, which is .
Then, the more I looked at the side skirts, they didn't seem to have any style to them. And the rear lip started looking too "long", if you know what I mean. From the top of the trunk to the bottom of the bumper is already a very long distance in the TSX, and the JDM lip just adds to it; more so than the OEM. So, I decided on OEM.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Instructor

I'm probably the odd one here but I like the car with just the front spoiler. Too me the side and rear pieces do make the car a bit bulky, and I prefer the stock lines. However, I think the front is a bit plain without the spoiler. I have the splash guards as well, which hides the difference between the the spoiler and sides. Along with some nice wheels (mine are G-Games Sidewinders) I really like the look this gives the car.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:07 PM
Subie Tech

Originally Posted by LannyM
I was going to go with the JDM kit as well, but the more I looked at it, the more it seemed to be almost an "aftermarket" look. The slots in the front lip were the first thing to start bothering me. And it doesn't seem to go with the factory grill; would be much better with the Euro R grill, but then you have to rebadge, which is .
Then, the more I looked at the side skirts, they didn't seem to have any style to them. And the rear lip started looking too "long", if you know what I mean. From the top of the trunk to the bottom of the bumper is already a very long distance in the TSX, and the JDM lip just adds to it; more so than the OEM. So, I decided on OEM.
That's why I got the EuroR kit over the TSX kit. It's less agressive and it adds a better shape to the car.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:36 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

i'm not regreting it at all - i look at xizors/kawaii/jefftsx's kits and i think they look great.

can't wait for mine to arrive....tick..tick..tick....
Old 02-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by landerso
I'm probably the odd one here but I like the car with just the front spoiler. Too me the side and rear pieces do make the car a bit bulky, and I prefer the stock lines. However, I think the front is a bit plain without the spoiler. I have the splash guards as well, which hides the difference between the the spoiler and sides. Along with some nice wheels (mine are G-Games Sidewinders) I really like the look this gives the car.
I'm thinking of going that route as well. I don't want to remove the guards, this is a daily commuter car in Colorado as well and they work. I like the back end already, so all that leaves is a Mugen front....when the other mods are done.

Peace
Old 02-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Its really wierd. In some angles, the OEM kit looks really good and then sometimes I look at it and it looks really bulky. Overall, I do think it looks good but somewhat "tacked on" looking.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Pro

I showed some pics of the car with the oem body kit to some friends and co-workers and they really like it. They say it makes the car look better and sportier. So it is the oem body kit and a-spec suspension for me. =)
Old 02-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Racer

i prefer the oem kit over the jdm kit. the front lip of the jdm kit doesn't look right... i don't like the 2 open slots near the bottom, under the fog lights. the side and rear skirts for both look ok.. it's a matter of preference. overall, i went with the oem kit.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts
I got the OEM kit, and I like it better than the JDM one. I don't like the smaller side openings on the JDM kit.

It does make the car look taller, but also more agressive, and you get used to it. After that, when you see a TSX without a kit it looks like it has no chin

Getting 18" wheels really helps though, with the kit the stock wheels look a bit smaller (but still good, it actually loved the TSX with OEM kit with stock wheels before I bought mine with 18" wheels). With bigger wheels the car looks a lot more muscular with the OEM kit.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:42 AM
Burning Brakes

imho the jdm kit is much better. their kit doesnt look as bolted on as the oem one. every pic that ive seen of the oem it looks as if the front lip doesnt exactly fit. i dono if anyone else has noticed that? if you are looking for a more aggressive kit, the OEM fits the bill more. the jdm kit is more classy.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:25 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
I showed some pics of the car with the oem body kit to some friends and co-workers and they really like it. They say it makes the car look better and sportier. So it is the oem body kit and a-spec suspension for me. =)
get the rear sway too...so what's another hundred or so, it's only $$$
Old 02-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Racer

All this talk comparing the two kits, are there some pictures around comparing the two kits?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Drifting

i just some complements on the oem kit today. some doctors from across the street saw my car out front and were walking around it. it seems one of them (or someone they know) has one w/o the kit.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Pro

Talking

I can't believe i even started this thread. I got my underbody kit installed today and the car looks great! I even asked the dealership to check my alignment and they found that the tire pressure was out of spec.. so now it drives beautifully!
Old 02-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Banned

so i tyake you're happy now
Old 03-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Instructor

The OEM kit definitely makes the TSX look better...it adds a new element to the car and stands out from the stock ones...and the front lip is definitely a nice touch...like everyone says, it's too plain without it...and take the front plate off if you can...don't hide those gorgeous TSX lines...
Old 03-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Advanced

I have the OEM and i love it! I always have people complimenting it.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Instructor

my kit is being shipped as we speak...but my only regret is that the company i ordered from takes so damn long to send it and never reply to emails
Old 03-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Banned

i believe that the tsx look beautiful with body kits, whether it be oem or jdm
Old 03-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
I can't believe i even started this thread. I got my underbody kit installed today and the car looks great! I even asked the dealership to check my alignment and they found that the tire pressure was out of spec.. so now it drives beautifully!

How much did they charge for the install?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Intermediate

Personally, most of the compiments I get are about the OEM body kit. Sounds like it's a winner, glad I got it.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BonzoAPD
My dealer quoted me $248
Old 03-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BonzoAPD
take them to the next meet near you (NJ ?) and I am sure someone will be happy
to help you out. (bring a few six-packs )
Old 03-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EURORTSX
my kit is being shipped as we speak...but my only regret is that the company i ordered from takes so damn long to send it and never reply to emails
Who and how much did the kit cost??
I plan on ordering mine this summer and picking it up in the states myself...
Old 03-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Pro

The kit cost me $824 from a group buy.. but be careful with dealer installs. The dealer I went to did a crappy job installing the kit. Apparently, they had washed the car immediately after installing the kit so the adhesive didn't cure correctly...so there were a bunch of gaps between the kit and the car's body on the front and rear under body spoiler. I took it in today and they added some double sided tape and adjusted things, but I didn't like the way the front spoiler was adjusted. I didn't really notice it until I got home... They added double sided tape on the front right side of the spoiler but the tape is so thick that you can actually see it.... plus they pushed the front spoiler up a bit so now there are gaps on the front corners of the spoiler where it curves.

I let them know about my concerns and they agreed to fix it when I go back for other service issues.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Instructor

I don't know about anything but the front spoiler, but it was quite easy to install at home. It took about 1.5 hours at a slow, reading the instructions pace. I can't imagine that the sides or rear part are any harder.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i really want front lip spoiler.. but everytime i park and look at the front, i thank god that i didn't get front lip spoiler haha i just suck at parking and i bet if i get front lip today, it's gone already

Quick Reply: Body kit regrets?