BMW are great cars...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004 | 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Which magazine actually slammed the TL? :sqnteek:

I think you need to get your facts straight, or at least learn to read. Every magazine review of the TL I've ever read has been positive, saying that the car is one of the best in its class. They do admit there are limitations to the FWD platform, but that the overall balance of performance, luxury, and amenities makes the car well worth the money. Plus, that same review you're quoting also had the TL beating out a few other RWD cars so I wouldn't exactly say it was slamming the TL.

Of course, you BMW people don't understand value since you paid $30K+ for a compact car so I suppose this argument isn't worth having.
You then looked at the pretty pictures and did not read. Every magazine has brought up the torque steer and the fact the TL at this point has too much power for the front wheels. This is EXACTLY why it has not won any comparisons. Or any since it's inception in 1996.

Now during everyday driving only a person that has OWNED both FWD and RWD cars can tell the difference. Most people have not. Most have owned only FWD cars. So FWD is as good to them. When FWD cars were low horsepower cars and let the high horsepower to AWD or RWD cars, there was no problem.
But IMO, the 1995-1999 Maxima changed that. That was the first FWD car I drove where I was like "whoa" and torque steer came into play where it was obvious. Since then, they've basically added more power and weight where it's horrendous.
The FWD Caddy's also come to mind. If you punch it, that steering wheel, you have to grab a hold off.
The TL also just has tremendous torque steer. Not cute.

Notice when Acura/Honda wants to truly make a sporting car, they DO make them RWD.
The S2000 and NSX have gotten simply RAVE reviews worldwide.
Notice Acura THEMSELVES seems the limitations of FWD, as the new RL will offer SH-AWD.

Remember the Infiniti I35 and they trying to tell us it was sporty. B.S. They finally smartened up and sell us the RWD amazing handling G35s.

Lexus tried that same crap with the ES 300 and said to hell with it and have the sporty IS and luxo ES now.

Considering the limitations of FWD, the TL and TSX are possibly the best handling FWD sedans out there. Quite an accomplishment.
Old 07-03-2004 | 03:05 PM
Race Director

My moded 86 Dodge Shelby Charger had torque steer but only when the in a turn and the turbo kicked in (terible turbo lag). The Maxima is probably a bad example cause to this day Nissan hasn't figured out as well as Honda how to lessen torque steer. As most manufactuers have found out 300HP is about the limit for a FWD layout and anything over 200HP and torque steer becomes an issue.
Old 07-03-2004 | 03:11 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You then looked at the pretty pictures and did not read. Every magazine has brought up the torque steer and the fact the TL at this point has too much power for the front wheels. This is EXACTLY why it has not won any comparisons. Or any since it's inception in 1996.

Now during everyday driving only a person that has OWNED both FWD and RWD cars can tell the difference. Most people have not. Most have owned only FWD cars. So FWD is as good to them. When FWD cars were low horsepower cars and let the high horsepower to AWD or RWD cars, there was no problem.
But IMO, the 1995-1999 Maxima changed that. That was the first FWD car I drove where I was like "whoa" and torque steer came into play where it was obvious. Since then, they've basically added more power and weight where it's horrendous.
The FWD Caddy's also come to mind. If you punch it, that steering wheel, you have to grab a hold off.

Notice when Acura/Honda wants to truly make a sporting car, they DO make them RWD.
Notice Acura THEMSELVES seems the limitations of FWD, as the new RL will offer SH-AWD.

Remember the Infiniti I35 and they trying to tell us it was sporty. B.S. They finally smartened up and sell us the RWD amazing handling G35s.

Lexus tried that same crap with the ES 300 and said to hell with it and have the sporty IS and luxo ES now.

Considering the limitations of FWD, the TL and TSX are possibly the best handling FWD sedans out there. Quite an accomplishment.
Well said!
Old 07-03-2004 | 03:26 PM
Team Owner

I think you need to read my post again. I didn't say that the TL was winning the reviews, but that the reviews were positive, but that they also mention the limitations of FWD. However, there is no denying that overall, the TL is a good car.

So
Old 07-03-2004 | 07:14 PM
Safety Car

The only problem is the market is not the magazines, its the consumers, and the Tl is a huge success with the consumers, selling more than any rwd car in its class or price range.
Old 07-04-2004 | 03:38 PM
Race Director

x3
Old 07-05-2004 | 07:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gilboman
curious to know..how did you manage to improve weight distribution in a saturn?? you sat in the back as your drove? added some bricks in the trunk?
not quite, but i did have an appx. 125 lb oak casing for the speakers and 2 20lbs metal weights by the frame near the rear corners. granted, it took away a little power, it really helped with rear stability and traction. i also sat all the way back; i may as well have been in the back seat.
Old 07-06-2004 | 02:50 PM
Pro

hahaha TL can't compare to a 325i? haha that's a good one...exactly what aspects does the new TL fail in comparison to a 325i? my cls will blow the doors off that shit (assuming we aren't on the twisties..ill admit that)...interior of the new TL also owns any 3 series interior that i've seen..all for a cheaper price than a 330i
Old 07-06-2004 | 08:17 PM
6th Gear

He is right, TSBs are good practice... it would suck if nobody knew how to fix any 'new' problems... Even with the TSBs posted on the S2K, it still has some of the highest resale and reliability marks you can find.
Old 07-06-2004 | 08:40 PM
has been here awhile

Check it out, Gilbo--constructive criticism! Maybe you should take some notes

Thanks for the tasteful post, 1SICK
Old 07-06-2004 | 09:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
Check it out, Gilbo--constructive criticism! Maybe you should take some notes

Thanks for the tasteful post, 1SICK
nah... i never said acura made bad FWD sedans, i said on few occassions that they make good handling FWD sedans, but that is still no comparison to RWD sportsedans. the point is, other automakers like 1sicklex mentioned smartened up long ago and realized FWD is the WRONG platform to go for sporty sedans and have come up with RWD sedans to sell as sporty sedans. But acura although making very good FWD sedans based on Honda FWD cars, just like all automakers before is handicapped for the drivetrain layout.

e.g. basketball teams realize you need a guy above 6ft to play center, but acura uses a 6ft guy to play center, although good for his size, he is still limited by his height and is no match for the 7 ft giants out there.
Old 07-08-2004 | 03:20 PM
Houston we have a problem

When some of you guys said "You BMW guys etc etc" it kinda offended me since I just converted from TSX to a E36 BMW M3. What should I say, hmm, I don't think BMW make the greatest car in the world. For a new BMW, it's incredibly overpriced, that's why I bought a used one. But it's evidence that if you plan to push your car to the limit, doing 10/10th driving, RWD cars or AWD cars have a certain advantage. The reason is simple -- tires. Tires don't like to multitask, they like to do one thing at a time. For FWD cars, the front tires need to steer/brake or accelerate simultaneously, which in most cases the tire will just simply give up, go back home, have a nap and come back afterwards. There's simply no cure for that, it's physics.

But it's true that for day to day driving, it really doesn't matter that much.

I pick a RWD BMW because I autocross/track every weekend. If not, I would've stayed with TSX.
Old 07-10-2004 | 12:11 AM
Intermediate

I say I'll be the better man and step in to inform gilboman...
Obviously people who bought an Acura TSX knows that it's a FWD I4 200 hp car, so why bother talking about a 325i in this forum? if you're gloating about RWD cars you might as well go pick on other RWD cars, in such cases as the Lexus IS300 or the Mercedes C230. You don't need to rant here, we don't care about your lifelong relationship with BMW cars.
Old 07-10-2004 | 12:51 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by TSX b0y
Obviously people who bought an Acura TSX knows that it's a FWD I4 200 hp car, so why bother talking about a 325i in this forum? if you're gloating about RWD cars you might as well go pick on other RWD cars, in such cases as the Lexus IS300 or the Mercedes C230. You don't need to rant here, we don't care about your lifelong relationship with BMW cars.
Ehh...don't mind Gilbo, the ACURA-TSX.COM jester. After awhile he becomes quite entertaining, believe it or not. Sit back, relax, and watch him make a fool of himself. Some prefer eating popcorn while enjoying the show. It's almost like watching a soap-opera un-fold.

BTW--if no one has said this, welcome to the board, TSX b0y
Old 07-10-2004 | 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TSX b0y
did you read the title of this thread before replying? does it say Lexus? MB?..oh that's right it says BMW
Old 07-11-2004 | 02:45 AM
Race Director

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Old 04-11-2005 | 01:39 PM
Racer

For those saying their TSX is better built then their German counterpart, just remember one thing, your TSX is a modified HONDA ACCORD . It's going to be more reliable since it is a HONDA ACCORD.
Old 04-11-2005 | 01:42 PM
Photography Nerd

Glad we got that cleared up.
Old 04-11-2005 | 01:43 PM
Team Owner

:jlukjasaysholythreadrevival:
Old 04-11-2005 | 01:50 PM