Blue Tooth Feature Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:23 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Tooth Feature Sucks!

Hi there,
I have had my07 TSX A Spec for a few weeks and I love it. What I don't love is the Blue Tooth feature. I synched my phone up and now I want to disable it but I don't know how. I have never been successful at dialing a number with voice but have to take out my phone and dial manually and then it links to the handsfree. If I am on the phone and I arrive somewhere, I have to hang up before I turn off my car or it will cut the caller off. I can't switch back to my phone. Has anyone else had this problem or should I take it in to the dealer?
Thanks for any insight!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why do you have to hang up before you turn the car off?? It should stay on for 30 minutes after the car is turned off.... also have you tried using the 'Transfer' feature?? it switches from HFL to your phone or vice-versa...

If you want to disable it, just go into your phone settings and take off the 'auto' connection to the HFL of your car...
Old 12-22-2007, 11:32 AM
2008 Acura TSX

Originally Posted by cibs
why do you have to hang up before you turn the car off?? It should stay on for 30 minutes after the car is turned off.... also have you tried using the 'Transfer' feature?? it switches from HFL to your phone or vice-versa...

If you want to disable it, just go into your phone settings and take off the 'auto' connection to the HFL of your car...
Old 12-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Old 12-22-2007, 12:23 PM
talk about mudflaps....

Not to be rude or anything, but... RTFM!!!

Bluetooth is an awesome feature in the TSX. The fact that Acura offers it as a standard feature is amazing, especially when other makes like Audi and Lexus keep it on the options list, and some don't offer it at all.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EuRTSX
Werd.

OP, also go to www.handsfreelink.com and check if your phone is 100% supported. From description, it's not. If you want to disable the phone in HFL, go "Phone setup," "Delete" (I think). The manual and the quick start guide cover this sheot.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I agree bluetooth does suck if you're a retard
Old 12-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I love how people outwardly say that HFL sucks, while in the same breath admitting that they don't know how to use it. If you don't know how to use it properly, then it's probably not going to work properly.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Advanced

HFL is awesome. Another cool feature is the ability to send strings of data.

I programmed my office voice mail login and password into the HFL. After dialing into voice mail, I need to tap *81 to login, then my mailbox number#, and finally password#.

In HFL under "Work Login" I saved the string *81 _ _ _ 1234# _ 123456# where "_" is SAY "pause".

To use:

Say "CALL Work Number", "Yes"

Say "SEND Work Login", "Yes"

To make a menu selection say "SEND 1 #(pound)" for example.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:00 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Trip
HFL is awesome. Another cool feature is the ability to send strings of data.

I programmed my office voice mail login and password into the HFL. After dialing into voice mail, I need to tap *81 to login, then my mailbox number#, and finally password#.

In HFL under "Work Login" I saved the string *81 _ _ _ 1234# _ 123456# where "_" is SAY "pause".

To use:

Whoa, thats a nice feature, I'm not sure if my Pioneer Avic Z2 Navi's Bluetooth can do that, I'm gonna go read the manual.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by malnik
Yes, I agree bluetooth does suck if you're a retard
but points taken for unnecessary roughness.

To use:

Woah...! I never thought about saving a phonebook entry for a post-dialing command string. So you have a phonebook entry called "Work Login" and you can say "Send 'Work Login'" after the AVR answers...? I think you just found another "Easter egg."
Old 12-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Racer

Does anyone know how to activate the bluetooth feature in my 2007 TSX for the PalmTreo 700w? Someone stole my car's manual and don't have instructions on how to activate it. I know that I need to press the talk button and wait for the beep sound and speak to it. When I speak, nothing happens. I don't have a navi and is that why? How do I activate without a navi? Thanks.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Woah...! I never thought about saving a phonebook entry for a post-dialing command string. So you have a phonebook entry called "Work Login" and you can say "Send 'Work Login'" after the AVR answers...? I think you just found another "Easter egg."
Haha - not really an Easter Egg . . . That's what the SEND command is for. The Blue Tooth section in my Accord's manual describes how to send data but it only gives examples of a few numbers at a time.

I got the idea to enter the entire string because the system says somethig like "say DONE or continue to add numbers." So I thought wtf? ... and kept adding numbers.

I had to play with the pause lengths to get the timing right. Everytime you say pause, its about a 1 sec delay. So you can say "pause pause pause" if you need the data to pause for 3 or 4 secs.

Tip: Because it takes a couple of moments to go thru the command sequence, if your voice mail login has a short window to login like mine does, you need to be quick.

As soon as the phone stops ringing . . . I hear my greeting.

I immediately hit HFL TALK and say "SEND Work Login".

Before system confirms with "SEND Work Login??" - I tap HFL TALK again and say "YES"

The system takes a second and replies "SENDING".

If HFL doesn't say "SENDING" before my greeting ends, the voice mail stops listening for the login and records the incoming call as a voice mail.

I have the pauses set and I've successfully logged in every time I've called now, but it just occurred to me, if I lengthen my greeting, I can lengthen the time I have to login. I bet if I re-record my voice mail greeting, talk a bit slower, and then leave a few seconds of quiet at the end before completing it, that would give a few extra seconds to initiate HFL.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dlee74
Does anyone know how to activate the bluetooth feature in my 2007 TSX for the PalmTreo 700w? Someone stole my car's manual and don't have instructions on how to activate it. I know that I need to press the talk button and wait for the beep sound and speak to it. When I speak, nothing happens. I don't have a navi and is that why? How do I activate without a navi? Thanks.

I think Bluetooth was standard on all TSXs w/ or w/o NAVI at least since 2006, maybe 2005.

If you go to acura.com -> TSX -> Features . . . there's a link to the "Acura HFL Mini Website." From the website, this might help:

PalmOne Treo 700w Pairing Instructions: Print | Back

IMPORTANT: You must press and release the HandsFreeLink talk button on the steering wheel and wait for the beep before you speak. This step is required before all spoken commands.

Power on the phone and ensure Bluetooth® is ON. Please refer to your phone's user guide for steps to turn on Bluetooth. Press and release the Talk button on the steering wheel and wait for the "beep" before you speak. Repeat this step before all spoken commands. Say "phone setup" Say "pair" Say any 4 digit PIN code for pairing. Remember it as you will need to enter it into your phone later. HandsFreeLink will now instruct you to begin the pairing process in the phone.

Enter the start menu

With the stylus, select settings

With the stylus, select the connections tab

With the stylus, select Bluetooth to enter the BT menu

With the stylus, check the box to turn BT power ON

With the stylus, select the Devices tab

With the stylus, select "New Partnership..." to begin a new search for pairable devices

Once search is completed, with the stylus, select the device from the list to be paired with and press NEXT

Enter the Passkey and press NEXT

Name the device when asked

Assign a priority if requested
Old 12-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Instructor

Most BlueTooth systems let you use the features on your phone and you don't need to load them into the car. For a reason that no one can tell me, Honda did not want that system, but the system they have instead. The new TL in 2008 (2009 model), will not require you to load phone numbers into the car.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Pro

It's a great feature. Not the best executed, but to the TSX BT's defense, it was one of the first to offer it. But I echo the sentiment - RTFM.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by dlee74
There's a sticky among the FAQs here, with a link to the manuals online. You can find the precise instructions on page 218. I have a copy of the 2007 manual (all in one PDF file) if you absolutely cannot find the manual that way.

Oh, and.... Saying "help" after pressing the HFL button will always give you available commands. She (unless you have it configured for a mail voice) is quite helpful, and patient.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:02 AM
3rd Gear

Blue Tooth - Thanks

"Yes, I agree bluetooth does suck if you're a retard" Holy smokes. I asked for some assistance and I think I may have received it from a few others but I didn't ask for ignorant comments. Retard is a lovely term. One that's frequently used by children who address my disabled son. Then again, they are only 10.

thanks for taking the time out of your life to post with zero input.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:05 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by White92
I love how people outwardly say that HFL sucks, while in the same breath admitting that they don't know how to use it. If you don't know how to use it properly, then it's probably not going to work properly.
Wow, once again some super advice. Based on what I am reading, my bluetooth does SUCK. My husband has bluetooth in his vehicle and it works fine. I don't think I said I don't know how to use it, I said I don't know how to disable it.

Why do you guys even bother to comment on this board if you're not helping?
Old 12-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Look, its clear that you're not familiar with the ins and outs of the system. Its not the TSXs fault that your phone is not fully supported if that is the case. Its a sad reality that BT implementations vary widely across phones. I've had probably 5 BT phones paired with my TSX, and of them only 1 ever had any issues. Its also not our fault that you haven't READ THE MANUAL. If you had, you would have most of the answers you seek.

It would have helped if you had mentioned what phone you had. That would help other members give you a similar experience, like "I have that phone and it works well, something is wrong in your setup" or conversely, "I have that phone and it doesn't work on mine either, it sucks."

A word to the wise: Keep your personal life and sentiments out of online forums. In an anonymous environment, people are insensitive and no one cares. The only thing that people can reply to is the information you post, so if you make a more robust post or if it was clear that you understand the system, you might have gotten a more helpful answer.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by veevee2007
Hi there,
I have had my07 TSX A Spec for a few weeks and I love it. What I don't love is the Blue Tooth feature. I synched my phone up and now I want to disable it but I don't know how. I have never been successful at dialing a number with voice but have to take out my phone and dial manually and then it links to the handsfree. If I am on the phone and I arrive somewhere, I have to hang up before I turn off my car or it will cut the caller off. I can't switch back to my phone. Has anyone else had this problem or should I take it in to the dealer?
Thanks for any insight!
Sorry that the flametards got you down (I'm arguably one of them), but without knowing what phone you have it's hard to tell if it's fully supported by HFL.

I just realized another way to accomplish what you want. Delete the pairing in HFL (discussed above), OR ... delete the pairing on your phone. Doing the latter, the HFL will never connect. Problem solved. That isn't in the manual per se, and it might not be obvious if you don't use Bluetooth as much as some of us geeks to (points at himself). Happy new year, and happy driving.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:06 PM

Haha - not really an Easter Egg . . .
I don't think the -- no wait, you're right it's on p. 224 of the 2008 manual, and p. 222 of the 2007 manual. You can store numbers in the phonebook for navigating menu-driven systems.